• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's reviews at an all time low for the past 10 years

benjammin

This really isn't surprising. Most of their effort seems to be going towards the big name games like the New Zelda. Meanwhile, other games like Mario Tennis are released too quickly with missing features or a lack of content just to pad the release schedule in between the big name titles. It's why third party support AND first party is so important. No one is complaining about the lack of good first part games on ps4 right now because Fallout 4, CoD BO3, and Battlefront just dropped. Any of those games alone are going to outsell multiple Nintendo exclusives by themselves while providing more to do at the same time.

Chronoman

Banned
What games? Splatoon and...

Mario Maker, Xenoblade X. While Majora's Mask, Yoshi, Kirby are not GOTY contenders, they were extremely good. Fire Emblem released in Japan is a GOTY contender. Mario & Luigi is about to come out and that looks great.

This was really not bad a year from Nintendo specifically. Not the best, but not bad.

Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Devil's Third and Project Zero: Maiden of Blackwater are some of my favourite games of the year and Majora's Mask 3D and Xenoblade 3D were incredible ports/remakes. Finished Xenoblade for the first time on 3DS and loved every moment.

Also Xenoblade X isn't out yet which i'm sure will be fantastic. Same for Paper Jam.

Wooly World and Code Name S.T.E.A.M were great too but perhaps not goty.

KooopaKid

Banned
Not surprising with Mario Tennis, Devil's Third and that Animal Crossing game. Sitting at 56%, 44% and 36% respectively. Doesn't mean much.

jariw

sörine;186364802 said:
I'd assume Mario Maker and Xenoblade X.

Seriously, Yoshi's Woolly World. Amazing game. Fantastic S levels. I know 2D platformers in general are out of fashion right now, but it's the best 2D platformer on the Wii U together with Tropical Freeze. Just because reviewers never played through the whole game doesn't make it a bad game in any way.

It's been a filler year for Nintendo, if the Wii U was going strong I'm sure the score would be higher.

But most projects are moved to NX now, leaving us with a bunch of filler-titles like Mario Tennis, Tri-Sword Heroes and Animal Crossing: "Not The Wii U Game You Wanted". Then there's the big risk that was "Devils Third".

And then two of the remaining big tiles, Zelda and Star Fox, got delayed.

So, I'm not surprised. Next year may still be barebones, but I think the overall quality will be higher.

Why is nobody talking about Sony output? Just because of third parties?

Looking at current Nintendo, I'm slowly losing hope they are even able to ever again make a title that's as masterfully crafted on every level of game design, with as much effort as Bloodborne.
Something like a modern equivalent of Metroid Prime could pull it off, but you'll get some Chibi Metroid Party game instead.

KaneU

People are being overdramatic because of the low scores of Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival. Every other game got a decent or a great review score.

Chronoman

Banned
Looking at current Nintendo, I'm slowly losing hope they are even able to ever again make a title that's as masterfully crafted on every level of game design, with as much effort as Bloodborne.
Something like a modern equivalent of Metroid Prime could pull it off, but you'll get some Chibi Metroid Party game instead.

Sony had nothing to do with the development of Bloodborne. Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Splatoon, just as good as bloodborne. Even the new Fire Emblem released in Japan on 3DS.

Sakujou

Banned
its far better than most other companies. have a loot how much sony/ms has output here and there.

on the other hand, nintendo deserves to get bad scores, since they started f2p, dlc and this bullcrap. i dont want that on nintendo systems.

even worse, they start to get on mobile, so grades will decrease, thats for sure.

Well, after Splatoon, Mario Maker, MM3D and Yoshi, none of the lower quality titles really matter to me.

This was a great year because of those games imo, and there are Xenoblade and Mystery Dungeon still to go!

I remember before Gamecube came out, Shiggy said in an interview, that the mistake they made with N64 was that they made too big games. They wanted to focus on making smaller games and release them quicker, and I always hated that strategy. I always felt that Mario Sunshine, and Wind Waker (with its botched last act, just sailing around) was compromised.

N64, Gamecube and Wii U all have had bad third party support. Nintendo cannot carry this alone. I don't think they should make NX. Scrap the project, make software. Take your time and just become a good software developer. Make those big N64-era games again.

Why is nobody talking about Sony output? Just because of third parties?

While you are right, people in general don't buy a PlayStation or an Xbox for "Sony or Microsoft" games. Just look at where their sales are at. I personally bought a PS4 for the multiplatform and Naughty Dog games.

Nintendo are the reason to buy a Wii U or 3DS and they are usually the only ones supporting their platform with the exception of a few Japanese publishers here and there lately.

That's what I can infer from this. Sony's output has been awful for a while now and Microsoft's has been improving. People simply expect more from Nintendo's software given how they are the ones carrying their systems for a while now, while the others have the multiplatform support to bank on.

Also this thread is about Nintendo. We've had plenty of threads where people complained about Sony not releasing exclusives over the past 2 years now.

Edit: FYI, I don't know the OP, so if there are some conspiracies going around about him/her, please be aware that I'm not aware of anything. Just simply giving my two cents on the matter. If you disagree, that's fine but I'm not here to "troll" or anything.

Best wishes.

Chronoman

Banned
It's a TI82 thread, not surprised.

Hell, you could replace the OP with Gonzo or Ninjablade and the thread content wouldn't surprise me still, just par for the course. Just trying to stir up drama.

I am new to neogaf so I was not sure if this was serious. It is so silly this topic.

Lowest reviews in 10 years, from different reviewers, different amounts of games, ect. It means nothing

Rodin

6jdJl8P.gif

GracefulEnchantingEasternglasslizard.gif

The NX coming out party better be flat out amazing.
There's a reason why they're doing remakes, games that use old assets and cheap spin-offs on Wii U and 3DS, and that's not because they magically lost their ability to make great games in less than a year like some people love to suggest.

This is one of those thinly veiled "Nintendo is shit" TI82 threads, isn't it.

For me, even Nintendo's weakest year in a while is probably stronger than what the other two firstparties brought to the table.

The only Sony published game I enjoyed this year was Bloodborne...and even that was a major disappointment compared to DS1 and DeS . Microsoft. Yeah. They released Rare replay I guess.

TI82

Banned
The NX coming out party better be flat out amazing.

I really hope so.

It's a TI82 thread, not surprised.

Hell, you could replace the OP with Gonzo or Ninjablade and the thread content wouldn't surprise me still, just par for the course. Just trying to stir up drama.

Please, sharing info I found interesting isn't "stirring up drama", especially when Nintendo themselves have turned to Metacritic the past couple years to try and say they are doing well.

Sony had nothing to do with the development of Bloodborne. Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Splatoon, just as good as bloodborne. Even the new Fire Emblem released in Japan on 3DS.

It's a Sony game. I wouldn't be surprised if ironically you were vocal the last year about how Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game. Anyway, Xenoblade isn't out and we already know it still has all the flaws of the first game. No one would have given Splatoon that much attention if it wasn't one out of two showcase titles this year on a dead platform. Truly ambitious Nintendo titles have become incredibly sparse and you can only dream of something as masterclass as BB on the WiiU. Fire Emblem 3DS sure as hell wasn't either. So the same probably goes for the sequel that goes full otaku pandering.

Yeah...yeah. Nintendo had some great games in 2015 but the half assed cash-ins really hurt them critically. They need to knock it out of the park again next year with quality releases.

Chronoman

Banned
It's a Sony game. I wouldn't be surprised if ironically you were vocal the last year about how Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game. Anyway, Xenoblade isn't out and we already know it still has all the flaws of the first game. No one would have given Splatoon that much attention if it wasn't one out of two showcase titles this year on a dead platform. Truly ambitious Nintendo titles have become incredibly sparse and you can only dream of something as masterclass as BB on the WiiU.

So because they published it, they made it? So Nintendo made all the Layton games, Bravely Second, the Dragon Quest games coming out next year? Did Nintendo make Yokai Watch? The biggest hit in Japan right now?

Xenoblade X is not out and reviewers are gushing over it. Who cares if it has the flaws of the first game if the overall package is amazing. No one would have given Splatoon that much attention? Do you hear yourself?

That is foolish.

Ridley327

No review copies were sent. Kotaku says they should have a review by end of the week.
I guess Nintendo felt that reviews weren't going to matter much for that title. Of course, with that attitude, it wouldn't have made much sense to offer up Mario Tennis if that was already a foregone conclusion, but here we are.

benjammin

Basically. The hypocrisy is sickening.

Sony has had a GOTY candidate drop every 3 months this year. The fact that they're not first parties (Bloodborne excluded) means literally nothing. Gotta come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has no desire to compete with Sony/MS anymore. It's Nintendo first party vs everyone else, and it's a very one sided battle right now. Hopefully NX encourages developers to start releasing some quality third party titles on Nintendo platforms again.

Chronoman

Banned
Sony has had a GOTY candidate drop every 3 months this year. The fact that they're not first parties (Bloodborne excluded) means literally nothing. Gotta come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has no desire to compete with Sony/MS anymore. It's Nintendo first party vs everyone else, and it's a very one sided battle right now. Hopefully NX encourages developers to start releasing some quality third party titles on Nintendo platforms again.

It means everything considering this is what we are talking about.

It is, but there haven't been any reviews yet for some weird reason.

Our regional contact told us that copies of family games were going to be limited (here) this year, and that outlets targeting families would be given preference. We didn't end up getting it or hearing much about it, same with amiibo Festival.

Top Bottom