• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Alpha Demo Feedback

I swear too, people in the Ni Oh alpha thread telling me I need to "change my expectations" to enjoy the game need to see their way out.

Ni Oh clearly has a souls-a-like thing going for it...
They're actively courting that audience with their marketing around the "Are you ready to Die?" message.

I don't have to spend my money on the game, and if it doesn't cater to my expectations, I won't buy the game. There's no harm or foul to it... We all make purchasing decisions based off expectations.

If you're expecting to play a Zelda game, it doesn't behoove you to buy Madden 2017 or whatever...

If you're expecting Dark Souls and Ni Oh doesn't move itself closer to the Souls formula after the alpha test, then it doesn't behoove you to buy NiOh.
It's as simple as that.

Go and play Dark souls then and stop complaining.

The game is not dark souls. Deal with it.

No one cares about the visuals? I played it today and even on movie mode it looks like a PS3 game, BB and DS3 feels like a gen apart almost.

Not that I expect them to improve on that too drastically at this stage.

I noticed the visuals for like 30 seconds, then got too engrossed in the gameplay to care.

Action mode all the way.

I really hope everyone who has posted their thoughts put their feedback on the link that KT games sent out. Some of this feedback is really good such as "Offering all unequipped to shrine" etc.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Educate me on Ki Pulses and regaining stamina.
Press R1 after you finish attacking and see the blue aura converging on the character. If there's a big sparkle it means you pulled it off perfectly.

VariantX

Weapon degradation needs to be toned down. Consumeables that repair said weapons and armor drop far less often early on, making it more sensible to farm extra weapons instead of repair stuffs. You need to be able to purchase these things from somewhere to avoid being forced to respawn everything at a shrine, where you still can't purchase consumeables. The game has some camera issues, especially if you get an object inbetween the camera and player avatar. Most games would simply make anything in that zone transparent. Stones are super important to allow players to avoid drawing too much aggro from groups and these dont drop very often early on, which is pretty rough when players die in 1-2 hits before getting any armor.

I'd buy the game as is, the demo was genius since I was only slightly interested before.

I would prefer if armor durability was improved as well since you can't even repair it afaik. Also tighten up the graphics on level 3 and we have a winner.

Error

I'd buy the game as is, the demo was genius since I was only slightly interested before.

I would prefer if armor durability was improved as well since you can't even repair it afaik. Also tighten up the graphics on level 3 and we have a winner.
You can repair Armor with an item, name ends with Glue.

One usage of that item repairs every piece of armor you have equipped.

Wait how do you do a ki pulse? r1 at the time ur stamina refills?
Yep. When the blue bar fills up fully on your stamina meter, press R1.

Alternatively, you can look at the blue particles hovering around your character. I believe they all come close, or line up or something when the blue bar gets full.

I personally just used the stamina bar to do it.

EDIT: I might have worded it incorrectly. When you do moves, a blue bar starts filling up in your stamina gauge. It starts from the current stamina you have left, and fills up to a large chunk of the stamina you just used. When you press R1, it gives you back stamina depending on where the blue bar is. If the blue bar is filled fully, then it gives you as much Ki as possible, indicating a perfect Ki pulse.

Error

No

There's a blue aura visual cue that circles around the character and converges when whenever you stop attacking. Press R1 when it converges closest to the character to do a ki pulse.

If there's a big sparkle then you pulled it off.

UnrulySillyImperatorangel.gif
Check out this gif.

MODEYV3

Banned
Definately add rotating item shortcuts. Hate switching between Fire Shuriken and Shuriken in the option menu's.

Basically it's REALLY f'n hard at the start, but once you get the combat system down, it's so satisfying. The combat is better than Dark Souls i'd say but worse than Bloodborne. So in the middle.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Definately add rotating item shortcuts. Hate switching between Fire Shuriken and Shuriken in the option menu's.

Basically it's REALLY f'n hard at the start, but once you get the combat system down, it's so satisfying. The combat is better than Dark Souls i'd say but worse than Bloodborne. So in the middle.

Too fresh ti compare it yet, but I agree that the combat is very good, including the lock on mechanic that gives you more freedom and doesnt completely hinder your maneuverability like it usually does.

Maybe dial down the transformation a little bit.

I was fighting the boss and ended up releasing my bankai or some shit by accident and completely destroyed it. It felt cheap. =/

Is the second boss as susceptible to the super mode?

Maybe dial down the transformation a little bit.

I was fighting the boss and ended up releasing my bankai or some shit by accident and completely destroyed it. It felt cheap. =/

Is the second boss as susceptible to the super mode?
Agreed, the transformation was really overpowered. It could be balanced by making it very difficult to acquire so you could save it until a key moment when you need it, but as it stands it's fairly easy to always have it for a boss encounter.

And once you exhaust the boss/empty it's stamina bar, it's just as susceptible.

Sayad

It's all good. Just don't look at the flames and destroy all impurities with ki pulse.
No seriously I hope they do they something about the frame rate.
Just don't look at any object with animation that's more than few meters away from your character, baddies running at like ~10fps is hilarious though.

Just don't look at any object with animation that's more than few meters away from your character, baddies running at like ~10fps is hilarious though.
Also don't drop too much of your stuff at once. Game was running at 60 fps, I dropped a LOT of stuff, game was then running around 25-30 fps near that area lol.

Vaettir

Just beat the first boss on the first try. Never really played a souls game before. It took about 5 hours to get to that boss after dying multiple times. I think I was overleveled for that boss as well (around level 23-24). I had a lot of fun playing the alpha and might get around to doing the second level before it ends.

I'm not really sure how my experience applies to the balancing since I needed to "git gud." Stamina stun is really punishing as a system, yet the Ki pulse regain balances it out. Enemies can kill you in one to two hits without armor. I haven't really seen a penalty for having a large weight count.

Depending on the balancing of this game on launch, I might wait a few days before buying it.

How do you level up your guardian spirit? I noticed that some of its buffs are grayed out unless I meet some requirement. Is it through dumping points into spirit?

VariantX

Just beat the first boss on the first try. Never really played a souls game before. It took about 5 hours to get to that boss after dying multiple times. I think I was overleveled for that boss as well (around level 23-24). I had a lot of fun playing the alpha and might get around to doing the second level before it ends.

I'm not really sure how my experience applies to the balancing since I needed to "git gud." Stamina stun is really punishing as a system, yet the Ki pulse regain balances it out. Enemies can kill you in one to two hits without armor. I haven't really seen a penalty for having a large weight count.

Depending on the balancing of this game on launch, I might wait a few days before buying it.

How do you level up your guardian spirit? I noticed that some of its buffs are grayed out unless I meet some requirement. Is it through dumping points into spirit?

If you're overweight, you lose ALL of your stamina in a single attack. I think thats a bit too much tbh. It dosen't really give you the option of being overweight when its handled this way. I would hope that you should pay some penalties for being overweight such as higher stamina consumption, slower run speed, extended recovery frames, longer stamina recharge. All of these penalties would increase the more overweight you are

Vaettir

If you're overweight, you lose ALL of your stamina in a single attack. I think thats a bit too much tbh. It dosen't really give you the option of being overweight when its handled this way. I would hope that you should pay some penalties for being overweight such as higher stamina consumption, slower run speed, extended recovery frames, longer stamina recharge. All of these penalties would increase the more overweight you are

I think I countered some of it with some equips providing Ki recovery speed. About 4 armor pieces of mine and one of the accessories offered Ki recovery. Using Ki pulse really made the lack of stamina less of an issue.

Squishy3

No

There's a blue aura visual cue that circles around the character and converges when whenever you stop attacking. Press R1 when it converges closest to the character to do a ki pulse.

If there's a big sparkle then you pulled it off.
You don't need to do this to do it, you'll only regain small amounts of stamina. The easiest way to identify it is after expending stamina the part of the bar that's red will quickly turn white and the amount of red that's covered by white when you press R1 determines how much stamina you get back.

bigol

Just beat second boss too. Combat is so good in this. Really, compared to yesterday and the very first part of the demo felt i was really learning. From soulish gameplay when you unlock combos and moves it becomes a completely different and awesome gameplay.

A great thing is it rewards skill, beat the second boss with every piece of equipment broken, once i got his pattern it wasn't so difficult.

Played a total of 10 hours, both missions. The only downside to this demo is the loot system, too many loot drop, graphics are not so good (but i am good with it at 60 fps), level design is not so good, especially the second mission area. Enemies placement is a bit too unforgiving.

Anyway i already compiled the feedback survey. This game has potential to be a great game.

VariantX

I think I countered some of it with some equips providing Ki recovery speed. About 4 armor pieces of mine and one of the accessories offered Ki recovery. Using Ki pulse really made the lack of stamina less of an issue.

How does Ki pulse help when you cant even finish a combo? Its all gone in one swing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I am fine with the stamina management. As noted, enemies have to deal with the same thing and it can work to your advantage. That should remain as-is and is a neat as hell system.
Yeah, as someone who has a lot of problems with this demo, I feel the stamina management was fine. I wouldn't change it.

I feel like letting you run while locked on his weird and irritating at first, but giving the player more choice is never a bad thing.

You can either hold block and move slowly while stamina regen is slow, move slowly with the stick to stay locked to the enemy, or risk turning your back to create space between you and your opponent quickly without spending stamina.
Why not let you circle-strafe around your locked-on target, AND also allow you to freely run, like in Dark Souls 2 and 3?

I'm not going to say "this game needs to be more like Dark Souls!" about everything. I get that it's its own thing. But Dark Souls games did a lot of things right, and when there is no reason to not replicate these ideas, well...

The lock-on system in Ni Oh is really bad right now. I absolutely hate it. It reminds me of when I played The Witcher 2, lol.

My only real complaint is tooo many revenants.
Oh gods those revenants are really intrusive and distracting. Several times I tried to watch the environment for clues or ambushes and the damn revenants blocked my view.

Oh yeah those damn crates in the ship boss fight too. Always had to smash them right away 'cause they'd block my view. Actually the camera just kind of sucks...

Okay now I beat the first boss and managed to grasp on more mechanics like parry and ki pulse. Definitely starting to feel better about the game after learning to play almost right. There were two things I weren't too happy about though.

- Blocking still wasn't really good on that first boss fight since sometimes it just doesn't work and I have no idea why. Maybe bad hitboxes?

- Durability needs tweaking as you burn through gear, wetstones and glue very fast making you have to constantly change equipment or worse, start to farm for them.
Agreed on both.

Vaettir

How does Ki pulse help when you cant even finish a combo? Its all gone in one swing.

I don't do finishers. And I had like 55% weight capacity. Some of the enemies dropped in three hits before I could land a finisher. The tankier ones I had to pace myself and not be greedy. They all have some super armor on attacks and fully commit to their attack.

Ki pulse helped when I started investing in those Ki reduction skills so 1-2 Ki pulse, 1-2-3 Ki pulse, etc. I mainly used a katana for my run.

Error

Thats basically what im seeing here. Once the stamina bar is fully blue, he presses r1 right?

You can destroy those stamina draining aoe that the "zombies" make?
Yeah with a perfect ki pulse.

Like the one in that gif.

I think the game is goddamn tremendous.

The game is in alpha, and already I'm finding it more exciting to play than Dark Souls 3.

This game gives me the feeling I had playing Bloodborne; Souls gameplay, but wholly fresh and exciting.

Enemy damage is brutal, making the game more grindy than it needs to be, and the dash/dodge would benefit from a buff, but the art, the armor, the combat, the setting...It's so much better than I expected it to be.

Welcome back, Team Ninja.

Thats basically what im seeing here. Once the stamina bar is fully blue, he presses r1 right?

You can destroy those stamina draining aoe that the "zombies" make?
Notice the blue sparkles around him. You can use that to time your Ki Pulses without watching the stamina bar and taking your eyes off the action. It takes a not of practice.

Last thing WHY TF do I have to release the block button to attack??????????

You use Square and Triangle to parry from Mid Stance with the Kahana.

I am part of the leave it as it is crowd regarding Stamina. There really should've been a tutorial because learning the mechanics was brutal and downright frustrating.

VariantX

I don't do finishers. And I had like 55% weight capacity. Some of the enemies dropped in three hits before I could land a finisher. The tankier ones I had to pace myself and not be greedy. They all have some super armor on attacks and fully commit to their attack.

Ki pulse helped when I started investing in those Ki reduction skills so 1-2 Ki pulse, 1-2-3 Ki pulse, etc. I mainly used a katana for my run.

Oh my bad, we're talking about 2 different things. I was talking about actually going over 100% weight capacity. No wonder I didn't follow what you were saying.

Some pretty glaring issues in the demo.

For one, there's no elevation adjustment for locked on targets or camera orientation. So fighting on any surface that isn't flat is a bad idea, yet the game features plenty of these surfaces. Gets little dull having to constantly draw enemies back to areas that are viable to fight in, though some areas are much better than others. Also means you have an uphill advantage. Enemies above you will whiff, but you will hit their feet, but it varies from one attack to another. Either way, pretty poor design.

Cameraing is generally pretty poor throughout, plenty of instances where you can barely see anything when walking down narrow corridors and whatnot. Not sure why the game features so many narrow or linear segments anyway, considering the fights are at their best, and less hampered by things like camera issues in more open spaces.

Difficulty seems okay once it gets going, I like that enemies are more aggressive and less skippable than they are in souls. Running past shit gets you into more trouble than it's often worth, which is neat.

What they already have here design wise is brilliant. My issues are technical and mainly about framerate.

I hope they don't change too much based on reactionary impressions off this demo. This is a new thing and plays like a new thing and that's why it's so exciting. It's not Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls but a fusion of both with it's own twists on it. The Ki Pulse 'active reload' is smart and feels awesome which is the best way to add something new to an action game. Unfortunately gamers have a history of hating on something new without taking the time to learn it, expecting it to be like something that's come before it and that it's just failing at copying it correctly. Don't let this happen here please.

The lock-on could have a tighter field that it sways between but I do like that it lets you run around and doesn't lock your character direction. It fits this game and if you want to focus your character you can just tap block.

Oh, and I could tell people would hate the sudden stop when depleting all your stamina would be really hated just like it was in The Evil Within. It's a harsh but fair punishment imo, eyes should always be on stamina.

Here are some things I'd like to see changed/adjusted.

• The frame rate is currently all over the place. I like that you get to choose between frame rate and better IQ, but please get the "action mode" to a more consistent 60.
  • Sometimes it's difficult to see the enemy you're attacking in front of you. Adjust the camera so this isn't the case.
  • A way to repair your equipment at shrines would be nice. While I haven't run into a shortage of repair materials in the alpha, it could be provided at a cost at least.
  • Animations are a little stiff. I would love to see them polished up a bit before release. Giving them more fluidity will just feel and look better overall and add to the joy of combat.
  • If I throw a rock at an enemy to separate them from a group, I don't expect it to aggro the others. There needs to be consistency here, otherwise it feels more like a roll of the dice than a strategic move.
  • The heal button can be unresponsive at times. I've found myself annoyed that pressing "up" on the d-pad has sometimes made me a sitting duck instead of reacting appropriately. A mechanic this crucial should not be dodgy.
  • Tone it down just a tad on the loot. I get that it's tied into using it as fodder to get consumables, but sitting at the shrine rummaging through a bunch of useless shit to sell breaks the pace of the game and gets tedious. Less loot, consumable rewards for less; just balance it.

I'm loving the game despite all of this.

Tone it down just a tad on the loot. I get that it's tied into using it as fodder to get consumables, but sitting at the shrine rummaging through a bunch of useless shit to sell breaks the pace of the game and gets tedious. Less loot, consumable rewards for less; just balance it.

Maybe they can add in options to get rid of certain rarity of loot. You ain't gonna wear that common trash now are you?!

Maybe they can add in options to get rid of certain rarity of loot. You ain't gonna wear that common trash now are you?!

I thought about this — and there's no harm in having that option — but I've come across common loot that I preferred over the more uncommon ones. : p

Error

they should tone down the amount of loot drops, and just make the loot that drops meaningful.

Also a way to see the weapon's passive effects without having to pick it up and go to the menu to see them.

Lingitiz

The core of this game is kind of amazing. It's super complex and deep in a unique way. My complaints mostly stem from balancing issues, including hitboxes, enemy placement, and one hit kill attacks that feel a little too punishing.

I'm of two minds on tutorials and educating players on the mechanics. On one hand I've really enjoyed the process of parsing out how the game's systems and encounters work, but on another I can see a lot of people not taking full advantage of the complexity and getting frustrated that Souls tactics don't work. Curious to see how the finished game tackles this.

I thought about this — and there's no harm in having that option — but I've come across common loot that I preferred over the more uncommon ones. : p

I mean at the start of the 2nd mission the common loot was much stronger gear than what I was wearing, so I guess then is the time I'd use it :p

silva1991

After beating the second boss I'm liking the game more

yes it has issues and I hope they fix them, but it was still fun overall

the highlights of this demo are the amazing bosses(imo) and the deep battle system

yes the movement is weird and off sometimes, but nothing that can't be fixed.

I really liked the second boss alot.

Arkeband

Banned
Feels like Samurai Souls.

I like how punishing mistakes are, where at first, literally any enemy can kill you in two hits. Makes it feel very tense, but then it starts to become bullshit when you're tasked with taking out an entire group.

I beat the Oni boss and tried the second area but not really sure how far it lets me play. I don't know if I'd buy this at launch. Got whatever the DLC reward was and stopped playing.

Top Bottom