• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Alpha Demo Feedback

EGOMON

I was really looking forward to this game but i was disappointed and deleted the game getting OHK over and over and over was just stupid.
I was expecting Onimusha but i got Soulborne :( These type of games are not for me i just don't enjoy them, oh well it was too good to be a true Onimusha spiritual successor

Innolis

Either cap the framerate at 30 or make it a stable 60. Unlocked framerate drove me nuts. Rest is actually really good.

Okay, beat it. Despite the hate I had halfway through, I ended up being optimistic. With some slight changes, I might be able to dig this game!

One, camera is awful. Especially when locked on. Zoom it out!

Two, the base line enemy has way too much health. I understand they are pushing that stamina thing, but come on. Imagine the ghouls in souls games with triple or quadruple the health.

Hit boxes suck. Fighting on inclines, fighting crawling enemies? Whiff, Whiff, Whiff. Probably too late in development to give the hero the ability to pivot his body like a souls character, but enlarging hit boes might be a reasonable bandaid. I found myself whiffing combos despite being point blank on standing still enemies too much anyways, so maybe that'll be doubly good.

Cut the loot waay back. Goddamn, every other enemy doesn't need to drop an entire armor set! Not even with this game's weak durability on everything is that necessary.

Lastly... difficulty might be too high (ducks)

Riddler

Didn't have any problem with durability once I began offering stuff at the shrine. since I was getting whetstones left and right. They REALLY need to explain that since it can take a while for you to get your first item.
Also, correct me if I'm mistaken, but you can only get your 'souls' back once in two deaths? I had a second death with more currency trying to get a small amount back, and didn't see the prompt anywhere. Set me back about 5 levels.

Yea I hope they get rid of the Mass Effect 1 Item Managment and just let us buy spirit water,Wheatstone,Glue,etc....

Admittedly I'm only in the first area but if there's one big change I would strongly push for it's to change durability.

Keep the difficulty, keep the stamina management system, heck I could even deal with the lock-on, but the durability needs to change because it's just not fun to play with. I'm fighting around the starting area to get a hang of the combat and it's just not dropping either new gear or repair items fast enough.

Even if it wasn't, it's still not fun, it doesn't feel good, and doesn't add anything.

If talking about realistic fixes- half the rate of durability lost.

If talking about ideal fixes- allow shrines to replenish durability, you can still have repair items necessary to fix broken equipments.

Some Nobody

Its very hard.

But, it's no harder than NGB or NG2 to me.

It's punishing and rewarding. My only complaints are: tutorials. I had to figure out KI pulse by myself after a few hours.

The lock on is probably the worst I've ever used in an action game.

Other than that, I like it.

There are tutorials when you grab Amrita from people. The only thing about that is, you have to actually kill enemies to get far enough to gain any useful information. And since the very first enemy can easily off you in two hits, I agree that it could use more explanation than what we're getting.

Kane1345

I've just tried this for the first time. Played about 1 hour of it so far and I'm loving it. I really can't wait for the main game. Hopefully the frame rate issues are sorted out because it's all over the place at the moment.

played for about an hour last night. game is shameless in it's cribbing from the Souls series and for me is just entirely too punitive and obtuse with it's mechanics. passing on this. maybe i'm just getting old.

Eolz

Honestly the ones expecting Onimusha in the first place only have themselves to blame.
From the start people were thinking about this game just for the setting when from the very first video the gameplay had nothing to do with it.

Drencrom

I fucking hate how you hate to grind the amirta or what is called to get the living weapon thing every fucking time you use it and fail on the boss because its nearly impossible to get damage on him without it.

Fuck.

STOP SHEATHING MY WEAPON! ARGH!

So annoying.

You know what I love? When you're 1v1'ing an enemy and you both run out of Ki lol. You stand next to each other panting like a dog.

It's very tough to fight multiple enemies. The way they all run at you seems really silly to me, but I think this game is going to do this often to you, and that later skills will make 1 vs 10 combat interesting.

Right now, I've learned that instead of getting rushed by those 3 dudes in the first area, I can walk behind and take them out one by one.

But having 3 people chase you, waiting for them to do their moves, and then taking pot shots feels a little... weird. It doesn't feel like a quality experience to make these guys chase you around an entire level. It looks a little silly. Im thinking this is because your combat unlocks are just not high enough at this particular area.

I imagine it becomes much different when you unlock the ranged weapons and magic, and learn tricks to subdue enemies. I imagine 3 v 1 encounters will be common, but being able to trip an enemy, or get behind one of them, or methodically take away their stamina are all going to be really key experiences to the combat. Right now, Im running away like a coward, but very slowly learning moves and gaining armour, which in turn is making me approach 2v1s with some technique. Very enjoyable feeling.

I REALLY hope the game keeps up the challenge once you unlock the content that makes some of this initial run easier. I love the idea of constant challenge and learning.

I want to be a super god by the end of it, but I dont want it to feel like God Mode. I hope the game keeps up the challenge alongside the progress you make as a character.

The Ki management is awesome. I love that enemies have it too, it adds such a great layer of thinking. I love that I can also do special moves when they have no Ki.

The combat is DEEP. I have so much to learn. Some stuff can only be done in certain stances, certain positions, certain Ki levels, weapons, etc. It is going to be crazy fun mastering just one kind of weapon

I also had this hilarious encounter where I pushed an enemy off a ledge (he stumbles and falls over). And then I fought him another time and ended up falling over to my own death haha.

I am also totally okay with the graphics. I played on the mode that improves framerate, and honestly, the game looks good enough. Itd be great if they make it better by beta and release, but Im totally cool with it. Animations and some wonky bugs need to be sorted though

I've just tried this for the first time. Played about 1 hour of it so far and I'm loving it. I really can't wait for the main game. Hopefully the frame rate issues are sorted out because it's all over the place at the moment.

There is an option in the title screen options to play with higher framerate. Try it out.

Okay, beat it. Despite the hate I had halfway through, I ended up being optimistic. With some slight changes, I might be able to dig this game!

One, camera is awful. Especially when locked on. Zoom it out!

Two, the base line enemy has way too much health. I understand they are pushing that stamina thing, but come on. Imagine the ghouls in souls games with triple or quadruple the health.

Hit boxes suck. Fighting on inclines, fighting crawling enemies? Whiff, Whiff, Whiff. Probably too late in development to give the hero the ability to pivot his body like a souls character, but enlarging hit boes might be a reasonable bandaid. I found myself whiffing combos despite being point blank on standing still enemies too much anyways, so maybe that'll be doubly good.

Cut the loot waay back. Goddamn, every other enemy doesn't need to drop an entire armor set! Not even with this game's weak durability on everything is that necessary.

Lastly... difficulty might be too high (ducks)

I am actually fine with the camera. It seems like they dont want to restrict movement in this game, and I think having full movement, along with the kind of action combat they are aiming for requires the kind of lock on they have

If Im not mistaken, holding block will allow you to face the enemy, like how Soul's lock on works. I dont expect this to change. I do expect them to use the block feature to allow for the Souls' like lock on

I disagree about the base enemy health. I can take out a single enemy within 5-6 seconds now. With the amount of combat moves in this game, I think these single enemies are proving to act as a great way to learn the game's mechanics. You level up and come to a point where you can destroy these enemies quite quickly. So, I hope they dont change the health.

A lot of this early game is just leveling enough to manage the starting enemies. You need to be killing the first few enemies and going back to the shrine to level up. Also, you likely dont have magic, ranged, or ninja stats unlocked. The game is bound to open up and justify the high health enemies.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Whoa! How'd you/he/she do that?

Probably has to press guard at the exact moment before an attack lands while bare handed. It looks like it builds off of the repel action that can be purchased if I had to guess. I'll try it out myself and report in

EDIT; fuck I was wrong and it nearly cost me my life lol. How'd he do it!?
EDIT#2; found it on gamefaqs; Remove equiped weapons, hold R1 then press either attack buttons in the right moment relative to enemys attack.

Will try now!

EDIT#3; It works

Kudo

Probably has to press guard at the exact moment before an attack lands while bare handed. It looks like it builds off of the repel action that can be purchased if I had to guess. I'll try it out myself and report in

EDIT; fuck I was wrong and it nearly cost me my life lol. How'd he do it!?

While holding guard (L1) press square or triangle at the right time to perform the parry, you should see William clapping when you try it, I'm not sure if you need to unlock the parry move first for some weapon to do it, but I was able to pull it off too.

ZenTzen

Very much enjoyed my time with the Nioh demo, even though i was initially very frustrated with the mechanics from the game, the game speed and combat are fantastic, even though there are some issues i have with it.

First, the high amount of damage everything does to william is just ridiculous, its too much from the initial mooks to the demons and bosses

Second, getting locked down from any kind of movement or anything when the character runs out of stamina is super frustrating, and coupled that with the high amount of damage you take means its a guaranteed death

third and last, is the whole items, weapon, armor use and management, i hate the fact that weapons and armor are mostly used as more of disposable items than having some kind of individuality to them, and them being so easily broken, only exasperates this, also getting so many weapons gets kind of a chore to manage them all, and i would sooner give them as offerings, only keeping the ones with higher damage or defense multipliers than actually seeing what effects the weapons have and their effects

bosses are also quite fun, frustrating at the beginning, but like in a souls game they have pretty well telegraphed moves, second boss is particularly easier than the first, especially after you equip the lightning talismans and learn that you need to hit him when he shoots that lightning beam from his mouth in order to put him in that state where he can get easily staggered

bigmac996

Fair enough, but the combat speed and actions available push me to want to play a very offensive game, so why am I being punished for being offensive?

Couldn't agree more. The game has these long elaborate weapon combos, so having to limit that from the outset doesn't appeal to me greatly.

Still gonna buy the hell out of the game.

deim0s

If they could just move the camera a bit to the side when you're locked-on to an opponent would be great as well.

Sayad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";202187989]Doesn't look like tracking so much as you got hit by the ball rolling back from the wall.[/QUOTE]
When you're near him, he throws the ball at the ground like that, play the video at .25 the speed and you'll see it directly coming my way as it leaves his hand.

Haven't gotten to play much of it but I've definitely enjoyed what I have played. Haven't played enough to say anything in depth about the combat system, but I did want to say that the people in this thread calling this "easy" have a severely warped perspective on difficulty in games. Off the bat the demo is more punishing than the Souls games have ever been; the games series most gamers go about the difficulty of.

Fbh

Played around 2 hours and while I found some aspects of it enjoyable, I didn't like what I played that much:

-Enemies have too much HP for my taste. They just take too long to kill and hit too strong.
I preffer it like the souls games where often enemies hit hard but so do you.

-Most enemies I encountered in my 2 hours were kinda easy and boring to kill 1 on 1. But because they have so much HP and hit so hard it creates a situation where 1 on 1 isn't that exciting but fighting multiple enemies at once is really hard

-I didn't like the camera, particularly during lock on

-Outrunning enemies seems impossible. Once they see you you better kill them because they will follow you to the end of the world. When you combine that with the bonfire system of souls some areas can get really annoying because every single time you have to replay the area you have to kill every single enemy you encounter or you will end up with like 6 guys following you which in this game seems to be certain death

-Setting is cool

-The core of the combat system is solid

-The level design was pretty good. I love that it's like the souls games where you have this safe area and then unlock shortcuts to it

spliced

Holy cow the 1st boss obliterates armor like it's made of glass, I had to constantly keep changing my armor, that has to change.

I am actually fine with the camera. It seems like they dont want to restrict movement in this game, and I think having full movement, along with the kind of action combat they are aiming for requires the kind of lock on they have

Why would having a wider field of vision restrict your movement? I'm just saying, if they want me to fight 3 plus guys that can together instantly murder me in a single get in, I need to atleast be able to see them all.

I disagree about the base enemy health. I can take out a single enemy within 5-6 seconds now. With the amount of combat moves in this game, I think these single enemies are proving to act as a great way to learn the game's mechanics. You level up and come to a point where you can destroy these enemies quite quickly. So, I hope they dont change the health.

Yeah, 1 on 1 its relatively easy to kill the baseline enemy. The problem is when its 3+ on one. (Which it ussually is, unless you play this game very cheese minded) Then fighting the baseline enemy jumps to boss fight level difficulty. It's all part of the same problem..

This game feels like character action people made a souls game. In that it feels like one of those games without the greatly overpowered protagonist. Maybe enough move upgrades change that, but this demo felt incredibly frustrating to me, as both a fan of character action and souls games.

Why would having a wider field of vision restrict your movement? I'm just saying, if they want me to fight 3 plus guys that can together instantly murder me in a single get in, I need to atleast be able to see them all.

Yeah, 1 on 1 its relatively easy to kill the baseline enemy. The problem is when its 3+ on one. (Which it ussually is, unless you play this game very cheese minded) Then fighting the baseline enemy jumps to boss fight level difficulty. It's all part of the same problem..

This game feels like character action people made a souls game. In that it feels like one of those games without the greatly overpowered protagonist. Maybe enough move upgrades change that, but this demo felt incredibly frustrating to me, as both a fan of character action and souls games.

I was more referring to the lock on system. Camera can be improved, no doubt

I dont think any 2v1 situation cant be avoided. Or at least most. The path up to finding the bow is probably most difficult. However, the gang ups there is where they became totally doable

The key was to simply level up a bit, and learn the Ki Pulse thing. It helped a LOT to learn the stamina system

You can also use stones to lure enemies.

After you get the bow, it's quite easy to avoid gang ups

I'll tell you one thing, that starting area was as satisfactory as Demons souls starting area

The game feels much easier after that initial area

Maybe they shouldnt have made the start so excruciating, but I honestly miss that experience already

Animator

Uninstalled the game after playing half an hour. It is nowhere near as good as souls series imo. The camera is godawful and the framerate was giving me a migraine. I am not sure I enjoyed every enemy being able to one shot you either.

GHG

Uninstalled the game after playing half an hour. It is nowhere near as good as souls series imo. The camera is godawful and the framerate was giving me a migraine. I am not sure I enjoyed every enemy being able to one shot you either.

What would you say to people who give up on the souls series after half an hour and then dismiss it?

Kudo

What would you say to people who give up on the souls series after half an hour and then dismiss it?

Yeah this. I hated Dark Souls from the bottom of my heart for the first hour before falling in love.
And if you're getting one shotted it means you're only few minutes in the game, get some gear and level up, don't show the enemy your back. Like any game, it gets gradually easier if you give it a chance and actually want to learn it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
When this game clicks, it really clicks. There's a degree of familiarity with movement that I associate with Ninja Gaiden and the Souls series, but it does its own thing in terms of aesthetics and delivery. The Ki system is really pretty genius and distinct, and I think that they can expand on it in a lot of ways.

For an Alpha, this feels just really strong overall. It's fast, fluid, responsive, and rewards players for thinking rather than rushing into groups of enemies without reason or awareness of their surroundings. I was always looking forward to the game, but now I'm legitimately excited.

Animator

Eh sorry I don't see the point of that argument. Demons souls never had a bad camera problem. There might be a gem under all the shitty camera and controls but I don't think I can ignore the shortcomings to find out. I will give this a try if it comes out on pc and runs smooth 60fps like the souls pc ports does.

Eh sorry I don't see the point of that argument. Demons souls never had a bad camera problem. There might be a gem under all the shitty camera and controls but I don't think I can ignore the shortcomings to find out. I will give this a try if it comes out on pc and runs smooth 60fps like the souls pc ports does.

I'm pretty sure there were complains about the camera when fighting those massive bosses.

Honestly, I hated it too at first. But it grows on you. Especially when you unlock all the moves they stupidly hid away in an unlock menu.

I have problems I hope they address, but they have a sale from me.

Kudo

Just sent my feedback:
  1. Camera sometimes acts weird when locked-on.
  2. FPS could use optimization.
  3. Online is little laggy and needs the option to play with friend.
  4. More Item Shortcuts is needed, or faster way to access them.

Forgot to mention that I want to buy Collector's Edition with William figure, please make it happen.

Make the yellow orbs more subdued. When fighting multiple enemies, sometimes it's hard to see them because you've got all these yellow lights surrounding you and you can't see a thing. I actually died because of this once.

Other than that, the game played much better than any Souls game I've played and it's only Alpha.

SDCowboy

Just played a bit. LOVE the combat, hate the item durability. Why is item durability still a thing in games in 2016? It isn't fun and adds nothing but irritation.

Top Bottom