• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Alpha Demo Feedback

Blueingreen

Don't know if you've seen it but there is an option in settings which lets you toggle the visuals between Movie (higher resolution, lower fps) and Action (60fps, lower resolution).

Da Fuq...why don't more games do this? Trust Team Ninja to include such an option.

LAA

Tried it, I give up, got up to after you use the key to open the gate to where you go on roofs and stuff. I got further when I knew what the hell a ki pulse was, and I probably could beat it, but don't care at this point.
I think there's a few flaws tbh.

-It's trying to be fast paced combo game at some points, but what's you to be slow and strategic at others.

-Normal enemies hitting very hard, not impressed with difficulty like this. Cool for people who can do it, but it doesn't say much to the game design. Easy to make a game hard if you're going to do that. That and unlike soul enemies, you can tell when the enemy has finished it's combo and find an opening. Normal enemies don't seem as predictable that way. The big demon enemies are more so.

-Durability is bad to me too. Not seeing all these whetstones people are seeing. It's definitely something that would put me off using my best weapons in the game.

-Environment space. Feels like areas are very cramped and fill it with enemies.

Not really a criticism but I can't see it standing up to Souls for its environment design. Haven't seen much of Nioh so I can't say of course, but I can't see its environments changing of much. I can hope though.

farisr

Played a bit of the demo. Difficulty didn't seem bad, especially since well, you can level up and stop getting killed in one hit by regular enemies like right at the beginning.

But the movement is too loose, almost feels like input lag (doesn't feel like weight), and the camera/lockon system is bad.

Whether I get this game or not depends on the control/camera systems being adjusted/fixed.

Also not a fan of the durability stuff.

There are a lot of cool sysems in the game, and it has a lot of potential, but it's being held back by the few things that I mentioned.

Negaduck

I personally don't feel the inventory was an issue. I just equipped the best stuff and then at the shrine when you go to offer up items, click the touchpad, it let's you mass select items.

Sell selected items.

Clean inventory.

Difficulty and other issues will be fixed as the game is still an alpha. But what a fucking alpha. I just can't wait for this game.

I don't know how I would be able to fit all this into the feedback form, but these are my thoughts on the different elements in the demo and some suggestions for improvements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***Durability*** (Very Bad) - The biggest and more immediate issue I have with the demo is how durability is just too punishing. With starting players who are more than likely to be dying a lot in the beginning durability is a constant source of annoyance because there isn't a reliable supply of repair materials and it's quite possible for new players to literally run out of weapons before they could get any replacements or repair items. Given the brutal difficulty of the game and how it demands the player to learn most of it's mechanics to get good at the game, it's not unusual to find some players who would stay and practice in the starting area before exploring more of the world.

At the same time, durability just isn't fun to deal with- even for players who have a better understanding of the game and doesn't die as often. There are already enough incentives to be switching out weapons constantly without needing to include a durability penalty.

A few suggestions I feel could be taken to improve the situation, either:

1) The most ideal solution is to have shrines fix a weapon's durability every time you rest at it. Whetstones and glue could be reserved for equipment that are completely broken.

2) Second best, allow the purchase of Whetstone and glue from a shop at the shrine. This would ensure at least a constant supply of repair items.

3) If nothing else, at least decrease the damage to durability by half and therefore increase the longevity of the equipment by double. As it stands weapons get damaged too easily especially if players are expected to die a lot.

Ki Gauge (Good) - The Ki Gauge is fantastic. The active recovery system adds a new dimension to the combat. And while a depleted gauge is punishing I do not think it's unfair. Especially since the enemies follow by the same rules.

Stances (Good) - The stances add great depth to the combat and should be improved upon further to encourage using all three stances.

Weapons (Okay) - More weapon classes should be added, my suggestion would be a dual wield dagger/short sword/sai weapon classes. Archery and Unarmed/Fist would benefit from having their own skill tree. The more weapon varieties the better.

Ninjutsu/Omnyouji/Items quick select (Needs improving) - I'm lumping all of these into one section. Ninjutsu and Omnyouji magic are great additional to the arsenal and I hope to see more varieties, but they're limited by the item quick select. Because one of the slots have to be dedicated to the healing item, it leaves only 2 slots to use for either Ninjutsu, Omnyouji, or any other status cures. This would severely limit the potential of both set of abilities. It would encourage a lot more build variety if both Ninjutsu and Omnyouji were allow to play a greater role in utility.

This can be achieved simply by adding more slots to the quick select... Maybe including it under the gesture menu by pressing [Option] ?

Guardian Spirit (Not Sure) - I've mostly used the Guardian Spirits as an additional passive buff mostly because of the mentality of saving it for a rainy day, but ends up never using it, or wasting it. Perhaps something could be done to encourage it's activation?

Enemies (Not Sure) - Enemies are a bit too difficult in the beginning for new players, in the later areas they're fine. Perhaps some leniency could be shown for the starting area?

Lock-on (Fine-ish) - It takes a while to get used to but I finally understood by the lock-on is the way it is in this game. That said, perhaps an option to allow players to face lock to the enemies can be added in the settings?

DieH@rd

Banned
The more I play it, the more I am fine with everything that is in the game.

Although I must say, Katana-only players don't have the awesome damage/reach of other weapons. I would like to see a higher damage drops for katana weapons [or maybe I had bad luck with the loot].

In case some did not know, if you hold triangle while scrolling through the Offering (sell) menu, it automatically selects items. So you can hold triangle and down on the D-pad to select everything (except what you have equipped) very quickly. It's handy.

Mentok

Banned
I really loved my time with the alpha, but my two gripes were:

1) Whetstones and glue. Simply put, I did not get the RNG drops that others got, so I had to grind unnecessarily for some. I'd rather have liked to spend the in-game currency (souls? ) to repair.

2) I found I was fighting (and worried) more with the camera/environment in the boss fights than I was with the bosses themselves. I'm sure it's not all going to be like that in the final game, but still was an issue for me.

A complaint I have: ankle high obstructions that you can't see easily with the lock on enabled that keep you from dodging.

But that's pretty minor and only really screwed me over on Nue.

I finished the demo last night, I feel like I'm fine with everything the game's thrown at me. Durability wasn't much of a problem seeing as loot sometimes gave me better weapons and seeing as whetstones and nikawa glue were pretty easy to find or grind for. Level design was also good, definitely felt Souls-ish there too, plenty of hidden goodies and ways to get around obstacles. Wish levels were bigger though.

Combat is pretty great as well, perhaps beside the camera. Engaging one to one is fine and more than one is also possible if you equipped a weapon that attacks on a wider area like an axe or hammer and learn to strike and keeping distance. Stamina I also had no problems, just learn when to take a stop in combos and also learn to use the active stamina reload. Else prepare to get punished.

Guess my biggest gripe for the game is when you're offering stuff and there's no option to sort by armor/weapon's attack/defense stats. Maybe include tutorials on some of the core stuff. I still have no idea what skill customization does, the combo tree thing. All I see is grapple. Oh and dont let enemies follow me into a boss area, Nue was already a bitch, having those ninja demons and pickaxe mummies chase after me is bullshit.

When the game finally gets out, I'm definitely gonna be there day one if they kept most of the demo in tact besides the camera. Heck keep the action and cinema mode too, personally used action mode throughout. My money awaits Ni-oh.

ShinMaruku

Although I must say, Katana-only players don't have the awesome damage/reach of other weapons. I would like to see a higher damage drops for katana weapons [or maybe I had bad luck with the loot].

Certain Katanas WRECK Youkai. I actually give stuff the business with the Katana

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't played it in a couple of days and man, I forgot how bad the lock on was, that shit needs improving desperately.

Very solid demo. Some things to improve on:

I'd like a little more audio feedback when you hit things whether it's enemies or walls. Like, a loud clanging sound when you hit the rocks or more of a louder gashing noise when you swipe enemies.

Cameral/lock-on - Getting this stuff right is really hard and I don't expect them to do it perfectly, but it's pretty bad at right now, especially when your back is even somewhat close to the wall.

There's some other issues here or there, but these were the most pressing to me. Didn't have much of an issue with the durability and really high amount of loot drops in general as they both pretty much offset each other and offering stuff at the shrine gave me lots of elixers for the boss runs.

Edit: I really hope they don't bring down the difficulty. The difficulty feels so right.

Mr Rivuz

After beating the second boss i got a katana with 381 attack lol

Went through the first major boss to get the reward and a little after that. Overall enjoyable and rewarding when the fighting system clicks. Main character is cool and feels like a videogame rendition of Shogun but played by the blonde asskicker from Sword of the Stranger...except he quickly gets gassed in this game instead of being a nonstop whirlwind lol.

But that stamina depletion works within the intended game system, as otherwise being able to freely high-stance axe-smash all over the place would end every enemy without any drama.

My main issue with the game right now might be the inventory management and a better handle on where/how to get useful items. Early on I used lots of stones to tag enemies, ran out and didn't see any for a while. Then later I had maxed at 20+ and seemed to get nothing else. Whetstones were handy enough to keep the rare weapon you might want to keep holding on to, so no complaint there. I played most of the demo just using well-spaced high-stance spear attacks so I kept a couple of strong ones in solid shape.

TalonJH

I need to finish the boss on the ship tonight. Late last night I was collecting the little spirits and realized I need to finish up. I tried to call a visitor(for the first time) to try to blow through him but I think it was a little late so it was taking a while and I decided to just go to bed.

How does the summon a visitor work? I figured it was, "turn it on at the shrine, and go about your business till someone pops in".

Game is great. I ended up not worrying about Whetstones or Glue too much because I made sure my gear had the appropriate Drop% modifiers. Really like the second mission environment as well. I'd be happy if the final version had some missions during daytime, but the lighting is pretty slick as it is during the night.

I need to finish the boss on the ship tonight. Late last night I was collecting the little spirits and realized I need to finish up. I tried to call a visitor(for the first time) to try to blow through him but I think it was a little late so it was taking a while and I decided to just go to bed.

I was having trouble with that guy for a while until I saw a vid where the player used Isonade (Water Guardian Spirit) on him and seemed to do some pretty substantial damage; so I grabbed Iso as my sidekick, killed a few enemies to get the gauge to fill up, then fought the boss again. Popped a Sacred Water and just pecked at him. The moment he went into his second form, I let Iso loose and just started wailing on it. Ki didn't flag and my hits just kept stun locking him until he died. It was shockingly effective.

TalonJH

Game is great. I ended up not worrying about Whetstones or Glue too much because I made sure my gear had the appropriate Drop% modifiers. Really like the second mission environment as well. I'd be happy if the final version had some missions during daytime, but the lighting is pretty slick as it is during the night.

I was having trouble with that guy for a while until I saw a vid where the player used Isonade (Water Guardian Spirit) on him and seemed to do some pretty substantial damage; so I grabbed Iso as my sidekick, killed a few enemies to get the gauge to fill up, then fought the boss again. Popped a Sacred Water and just pecked at him. The moment he went into his second form, I let Iso loose and just started wailing on it. Ki didn't flag and my hits just kept stun locking him until he died. It was shockingly effective.

It's definitely his 2nd phase that is giving me trouble. Before that, he's mostly a breeze. To be fair, I've only fought him I think 3 times so far.

When does the demo lock, do we have the 5th or is it going down after midnight tonight?

I was very surprised by this game. Couldnt bother to finish it, but I will definitely buy the final game. Quite deep the battle system and like the focus on duels and sparing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty great that armor breaks after two attempts on a boss. What a stupid mechanic.

Definitely one of the bigger issues, it's very possible that people will run out of items to repair their gear while progressing on hard bosses and with no other way to repair that becomes a game breaking problem.

I finished the demo. It wasnt that hard. It becomes quite easy once you get the hang of the stamina system and pay attention to the enemies patterns. I was cheesing the late game with the axe which was very satisfying. I know what type of build I will be using for the final game.

The boss wasnt that hard as I was just super impatient. It is odd how I first thought the game was harder than souls, but I figured out it had to do with me playing it wrong. It is damn satisfying to do finishers, or massive attacks when their stamina meter is low.

Cant wait for the final game. Definitely a fresh new experience. A mix of souls and Ninja Gaiden I would say.

ps3ud0

Just completed the first area - only things I think Ill comment on are:

Some ability to craft things like elixirs etc as you end up just farming before the boss just to max out on them - seems to be plenty of random things that end up being unused.

Camera is terrible when your back is near a wall in a tight space - Im ok with the loose lock on since block auto faces you. I didnt use back step but rarely got hit in the back unless it was against multiple enemies.

Durability just seems to be a mechanic there for the sake of it, please get rid of it - again be great to use all the trash you pick up to mend your armour or make that potion thing.

Really liked the shortcut placement as well as the shrines, didnt feel that impossible to get to them

Where there decent (audio?) cues for Ki replenish? I dont remember getting that down perfectly, no enemy really needed decent grasp of the system.

Wish it was quicker to unlock spaces for Justu/Magic - had everything unlocked but there just wasnt enough room to try each type, especially with only having 3 shortcuts - use the touchpad swipes!

ps3ud0 8)

Pretty great that armor breaks after two attempts on a boss. What a stupid mechanic.

Really? Never had that happen. In fact armor ever only got the "damaged"/"about to break" icon attached once in my entire playthrough. Maybe because I kept grinding out levels, I just kept getting armor that was stronger (even basic sets), so that the boss' hits-- while wrecking my health-- didn't necessarily bust my armor. I also farmed Revenants for rare armor with good bonus stats so maybe that helped.

Also, the yokai are obscene. Not-fun obscene. They're worse than the first boss.

Putting points into Magic when leveling up will mitigate this massively. Every point I put in granted me an extra +50 vs. Yokai I think. Yokai are lumbering bulls, to be sure, but get your weapon in a high stance and they go down quickly enough.

Edit: Also lol at people in this thread think that Team Ninja is going to trash any of the mechanics in this demo. Tweak, sure. But item durability ain't going anywhere.

Maybe it's been touched on already but the durability exists in tandem with the offering system to make you constant refresh your weapons and gear. You're punished for overusing the same weapon and rewarded when you give it up. ( with elixirs and Whetstone's etc)

Without durability new gear would be 95% useless and it's one of the main systems that set it apart from souls, where you are encouraged to use the same gear for large chunks.

Definitely one of the bigger issues, it's very possible that people will run out of items to repair their gear while progressing on hard bosses and with no other way to repair that becomes a game breaking problem.

For anyone for whom this is a problem I'd suggest swapping in armor and weapons that have higher "Human Item Drop Rates" and "Human Equipment Drop Rates". Even if they are weaker; they're just going to be used to farm some items then junk. Get to a shrine with a manageable group of enemies to deal with and you'll have a better chance and stocking up on Whetstones and Glue.

I wonder what the bonus item will be, I didn't have a chance to finish it this week. :/

What I would love "Mark of the Conqueror" to be: An extra mission area.

What "Mark of the Conqueror" will likely be: Some set of items & weapons to give you a leg up early on in the game.

Still, I like the idea of giving a goal for Alpha or Beta players to achieve in order to unlock something in the final release.

Maybe it's been touched on already but the durability exists in tandem with the offering system to make you constant refresh your weapons and gear. You're punished for overusing the same weapon and rewarded when you give it up. ( with elixirs and Whetstone's etc)

Without durability new gear would be 95% useless and it's one of the main systems that set it apart from souls, where you are encouraged to use the same gear for large chunks.

It doesn't work like that though, if you dismantle garbage then you always have enough whetstones to keep your best weapon repaired. You never need to switch weapon. I don't see why you're punished for over using the same weapon - at least not once you get a good one for the area.

For all 3 playthroughs of the demo I just killed enemies until I got a weapon that did the maximum amount of damage that weapons tend to do in that area, then put all the old gear into offerings to gain whetstones to retain that weapon. Never did I need to switch weapon again, and that was true for both areas.

---

Also not sure about the second boss but if you get stuck repairing on the first boss the arena crates begin dropping many whetstoes and glue. They can even drop elixers. Grabbing these each time prevents your weapons getting blunt as you repeat the boss.

Nose Master

The second area is really poorly balanced, too. It's nothing but Yokai and Cyclops. It'd be like the second area of Dark Souls being nothing but Capra Demons and Black Knights, immediately. Just turns it into a shitty blaze-through to shortcuts than being able to actually enjoy the area.

Interestingly enough, the only way I was able to beat Nue was completely naked besides charms and low stance.

Is there nothing that can drop in the arena? The first boss has crates in the arena that drop ~1-4 whetstone / glue per run. They can even drop elixir which makes the fight a lot easier.

I didn't try because I killed Nu pretty quickly but for the first boss I used the items dropped in the arena to maintain my gear.

The second area is really poorly balanced, too. It's nothing but Yokai and Cyclops. It'd be like the second area of Dark Souls being nothing but Capra Demons and Black Knights, immediately. Just turns it into a shitty blaze-through to shortcuts than being able to actually enjoy the area.

The first half of that area has no cyclops and just one yokai, they're just heavy around the boss door... aside that, the level is actually packed with other enemies, including Samurai, Ninja's and zombie-things. It's not as 'unbalanced' as you make out. Though I do feel they could tone things down a little near the boss area, though it gets a lot simpler once you've killed the yokai in the fog.

Nose Master

Is there nothing that can drop in the arena? The first boss has crates in the arena that drop ~1-4 whetstone / glue per run. They can even drop elixir which makes the fight a lot easier.

I didn't try because I killed Nu pretty quickly but for the first boss I used the items dropped in the arena to maintain my gear.

The first half of that area has no cyclops and just one yokai, they're just heavy around the boss door... aside that, the level is actually packed with other enemies, including Samurai, Ninja's and zombie-things. It's not as 'unbalanced' as you make out. Though I do feel they could tone things down a little near the boss area, though it gets a lot simpler once you've killed the yokai in the fog.

So... you consider the first half of that level to be the first two hallways? Okay.

The entire brunt of that area is nothing but giant tedious enemies that you have to pull and kill one at a time, taking minutes for each mob. It's awful.

So...just bough Dark Souls 3 thinking that since I like Ni Oh, I should give DS a try.

10 minutes in, first boss. No. Just, no. Ni Oh is 1000x better than Dark Souls.

Caderfix

I DID IT! In 50 min without any grinding... there wasn't enough time to, as I had to explore and beat the boss in 70 minutes. Had to do it leveling up 4 lvls and with shitty weapons without knowing the gam... IT WAS HELL.

I can't wait for the game to be release now.

Eusis

So...just bough Dark Souls 3 thinking that since I like Ni Oh, I should give DS a try.

10 minutes in, first boss. No. Just, no. Ni Oh is 1000x better than Dark Souls.
Basically an "EAT IT" moment.

You'll get more things to do post-"welcome to Dark Souls mother fucker" boss. And DSIII actually is crueler than average there if it helps!

EDIT: Actually... yeah, ranking from kindest to harshest openings:

Dark Souls II > Dark Souls I > Bloodborne >= Demon's Souls >>> Dark Souls III. DSII doesn't require clearing a boss or even going through the tutorial areas before getting access to leveling and buying items, DSI has a realtively easy boss to get past (with the cavaet that you need to know
to run before getting weapons
, Bloodborne lets you access a shop fairly fast and level upon ENCOUNTERING the first boss, Demon's Souls blocks leveling until after beating the first boss but the boss fight isn't really THAT hard compared to what the series can throw at you later and you can buy items beforehand, and DSIII... hope you can take on this badass motherfucker before you can move on!

Top Bottom