• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its currently number 2 on Japanese amazon On friday it was at 13. The meta is doing work

Karuto

As someone who reviewed the game and beat it, you don't need to grind. Like the Souls series, it just makes it easier. But by practicing intense patience, you can deal with all the bosses. Oh, and use lots of Onmyo magic. I beat the first boss at Level 5.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As someone who reviewed the game and beat it, you don't need to grind. Like the Souls series, it just makes it easier. But by practicing intense patience, you can deal with all the bosses. Oh, and use lots of Onmyo magic. I beat the first boss at Level 5.
This seems to be the definite consensus among those who've played this extensively as well as those who beat it. Thanks for your input.

yurinka

Not only that, but you can get banned for complaining about reviews. I got banned for making fun of Polygon in the Bloodborne review thread. So guys, I implore you to just let it go. It's not worth the trouble and possible ban.
I also got banned when they gave a 7.5 to The Last of Us.

Inuhanyou

myco666

They did run a "where's our review" article that "pre"reviews the game. They strongly give the impression that they're not really digging it

Opinions can change though. It could have clicked between writing that article and releasing the full review. then again could be the same opinion too. Just that I find it ridiculous that people are dismissing one review outlet so fast. Their opinion is as valid as any other sites.

Inuhanyou

Oh, that incredibly important difference between 87 and 88. Hah

>< i just want maximum positive penetration rate, for the critical and commercial success of this game that i want to see have a future as a franchise

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Instead of crafting a tight 20-hour experience like Ninja Gaiden,
Team Ninja has opted to create a title that had me constantly grinding.
It's a flawed experience that really has no respect for the player's
time
"

Uh Oh...ok.

I feel like everyone started caring about "respect for the player's time" as if it was some quantifiable measure.

Truly up there with "a mixed bag" and "for fans of the genre" in terms of video game review platitudes.

From what I played of Nioh prior to release I didn't get the impression that the difficulty was "unfair"/"cheap" in terms of game design, but it was no doubt brutal during boss fights in particular.

But I mean... that's what this game is for. Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I heard that it was difficult, when I first started playing I wasn't sure if I could handle it, but I let it get it's hooks in me, I got into the mindset of trial and error, and eventually I beat the game and now it's one of my favourites.

So that difficulty curve is the reason we buy these games, how can you mark it down for that reason? If you don't enjoy that playstyle, don't review these games? I don't enjoy MOBAs at all, so my opinion should not be taken seriously if I choose to review HOTS.

It's like scoring Rocket League a 7.5 because you can't make it to the top leagues. That's on you.

Are you guys seriously freaking out about a site that you apparently all don't like anyways maybe in the future having an opinion you also don't like

Karuto

From what I played of Nioh prior to release I didn't get the impression that the difficulty was "unfair"/"cheap" in terms of game design, but it was no doubt brutal during boss fights in particular.

But I mean... that's what this game is for. Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I heard that it was difficult, when I first started playing I wasn't sure if I could handle it, but I let it get it's hooks in me, I got into the mindset of trial and error, and eventually I beat the game and now it's one of my favourites.

So that difficulty curve is the reason we buy these games, how can you mark it down for that reason?

It's like scoring Rocket League a 7.5 because you can't make it to the top leagues. That's on you.

To be fair, contextualizing a game as being mostly for the fans of hardcore RPGs isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you give a game a high or perfect score, you have to be willing to recommend it without hesitation. Here? The caveat would be whether you can put up with the challenge. For those interested in those types of games, it's a no-brainer.

And as much as I enjoyed Nioh, it can be obtuse at times.

Inuhanyou

Just teasing. I do think it's a very good game, and I count myself among those scores. lol

lol i gotcha. i'm just kinda on edge about how the reception of the game in general is going to shake out from both a user and a critical point of view. in addition to sales of course

To be fair, contextualizing a game as being mostly for the fans of hardcore RPGs isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you give a game a high or perfect score, you have to be willing to recommend it without hesitation. Here? The caveat would be whether you can put up with the challenge. For those interested in those types of games, it's a no-brainer.

And as much as I enjoyed Nioh, it can be obtuse at times.

Tbh in many ways I use the movie industry as an example of how to do a lot of things right.

There are documentaries about real life events depicting incredibly upsetting and disturbing scenes that many people just cannot watch, that doesn't stop them from being scored 90+.

The consumer needs to know what they're getting into but that doesn't mean the game needs a poorer score because there are certain types of gamers that don't enjoy the playstyle - because that applies to all games.

I hated the combat in The Witcher 3 and stopped playing after a few hours because of it, but I could see what made the game a masterpiece to the people who don't see that as a weakness.

Anyway from a marketing perspective for the game I don't think any fans need to worry because as said previously, MC isn't all that important to the mainstream, that IGN score is all the game needs from the critical reception POV.

Are you guys seriously freaking out about a site that you apparently all don't like anyways maybe in the future having an opinion you also don't like

Well they are more freaking out at the thought that said review would tank the metacritic and therefore affect the success of said game. This would in theory lead other publishers to not fund similar games. It is a little silly, but its also frustrating to see reviews from people that clearly are not competent.

Karuto

Well they are more freaking out at the thought that said review would tank the metacritic and therefore affect the success of said game. This would in theory lead other publishers to not fund similar games. It is a little silly, but its also frustrating to see reviews from people that clearly are not competent.

Kind of unfair to assume the person reviewing the game at Polygon isn't competent. What if the person played the entire game and decided it was imperfect and deserving of an 8 or below? That's their impetus, with all due respect. We all have certain elements of a game we hold up over the others. Story, gameplay, art direction, music, voice acting... there are so many dynamics.

Corpekata

Banned

It's not a little silly, it's very silly.

Kind of unfair to assume the person reviewing the game at Polygon isn't competent. What if the person played the entire game and decided it was imperfect and deserving of an 8 or below? That's their impetus, with all due respect. We all have certain elements of a game we hold up over the others. Story, gameplay, art direction, music, voice acting... there are so many dynamics.

I don't assume so, but I'm explaining other peoples responses.

Ridill

Man can't say that this has been on my radar at all. I had seen maybe 1~2 mins of gameplay prior to this. But reading all the impressions/pre-reviews/reviews, this game sounded too good to pass out.

Pre-Loaded!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like everyone started caring about "respect for the player's time" as if it was some quantifiable measure.

Truly up there with "a mixed bag" and "for fans of the genre" in terms of video game review platitudes.

Game reviewers are getting older/having kids and no one is paying attention to the new blood out there because younger audiences are going full on youtube/twitch and older audiences are too used to the old guard. You should just pay no attention to reviewers who like to bring their personal life into a review because then the review is inherently flawed to begin with.

bigjig

oh no?

http://krsw.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1486371934/

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20008858.html

http://ch.esuteru.com/topic/22529/

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-5181570-1-1.html <--- Bonus, not Japanese but still pretty funny

They comb this site as well and have combed this thread in particular as well as comments here

I'm not saying that absolutely no one pays attention to the MC score, I'm saying that it being the reason for the bump in the sales charts is farfetched. All games rise in the sales charts the closer they get to release, regardless of the MC. The same thing will happen to Nier, Horizon, Zelda regardless of whether they get a 60 MC or a 90 MC.

Inuhanyou

I'm not saying that absolutely no one pays attention to the MC score, I'm saying that it being the reason for the bump in the sales charts is farfetched. All games rise in the sales charts the closer they get to release, regardless of the MC. The same thing will happen to Nier, Horizon, Zelda regardless of whether they get a 60 MC or a 90 MC.

On one hand you have a point, but on the other hand, look at how big the nioh threads have gotten on here and on sites like IGN, gamespot, GameFAQ's just because the game got good reviews? Many of the people blowing up this thread would never have looked twice had the meta not been surprisingly high, many people probably would not have even ever known what the game was had it not been praised by reviewers

mujun

I think many modern games do it far more than pretty much any older game which has lead to people appreciating it when it's there.

Might not be easily quantifiable but I think it's less subjective than something like art design or style.

I think many modern games do it far more than pretty much any older game which has lead to people appreciating it when it's there.

Might not be easily quantifiable but I think it's less subjective than something like art design or style.

Its the reason I can never stick with an MMO. I can for sure feel if a game is wasting my time.

And stuff like this doesn't matter at all. What difference does it make if the games ends with a 8.7 or 8.8 metascore because Polygon (or wherever else) didn't like it? It's pretty clear the game is very much critically acclaimed, nothing will change that.
Yeah, but there are some valid criticism about the review process.
I also got banned when they gave a 7.5 to The Last of Us.
I actually got banned before polygon released their score. I essentially mocked them for no reason.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

But all it really means is, "I wish this game required me to do less of X."

I feel like passages that utilize it would almost always be better written in a more subjective way, such as "I did not like how X worked" instead of trying to spin it as some objective appraisal of how much the developers respect people's time.

The only idea seems to come from a position where the writer is 'obligated' to finish the game in a certain amount of time, which may be true of a reviewer but not necessarily the average person who plays the game.

Ushay

Damn, this game is straight to the top of my list for PS4 games. Looks amazing from all the videos and reviews I've read.

Great return for Team Ninja,

While OpenCritic is a neat idea, I absolutely despise the layout. It's too busy with cartoon characters, affiliate links and a mess of different review formats. Metacritic is much easier on the eyes and for finding relevant information.

Top Bottom