• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Haha for now! If I had to guess, a couple of lower scores (such as Polygon) will have it settle at 87.

if Gamespot gives it that 9 out of 10 i'm thinking they will and the rest follow, i wonder if that will be enough to balance against polygon

if Gamespot gives it that 9 out of 10 i'm thinking they will and the rest follow, i wonder if that will be enough to balance against polygon

Will certainly be close. I suppose it depends how low Polygon goes. I feel a 6 from Polygon would ensure an 87 Meta. A 7/10 or above leaves a possibility for 88. Both would be amazing Meta scores, of course.

I really really hope this isn't becoming the next Witcher III / Bloodborne situation.

Souls fans and Nioh fans need to get along, just sayin'. Mostly they share the same camp. :D

I really really hope this isn't becoming the next Witcher III / Bloodborne situation.

Souls fans and Nioh fans need to get along, just sayin'. Mostly they share the same camp. :D

Nioh would end up fighting with Souls, Nier, For Honor and probably even Horizon. Every one of those games would have strong passionate fans.

Sayad

They think Nioh is confusing compared to Dark Souls, a game that literally tells you nothing other than the basic controls by writing them on the ground. Okay.

Don't think that's it, Nioh is definitely more technical than DS and there's a lot more to learn, to the point where I'd say DS is simple enough to just throw you out there while Nioh really needed the tutorials.

Kaisos

Don't think that's it, Nioh is definitely more technical than DS and there's a lot more to learn, to the point where I'd say DS is simple enough to just throw you out there while Nioh really needed the tutorials.

I mean, I guess? But I really do feel that since DaS uses such an odd control scheme and makes very particular assumptions about how people are going to play that it's definitely more confusing coming from other action games.

I'm not one to mock people for being a little slow with games but 8h for the tutorial level seems excessive. There is hardly anything difficult in there.

xuchu

It's there.

Ah you're right. Wasn't showing up until I hit see all reviews.

8 hours to complete the tutorial and first level? Are these guys for real?

That's crazy. At least that time is not just the
london
tutorial but also the isle of demons level. Bracing for 6/10 really. I dunno it may be a useful review for people not used to these sort of games or video games in general.

Milijango

The lack of a Souls game this year should at least keep GOTY reasonably sporting. It'll still be a bloodbath but that has more to do with Zelda and Persona 5.

Usobuko

Banned
Zelda will win gaf goty. Just like it did against most anticipated game in 2017.

But such reviews are excellent start for koei temco to build a series.

Has that Gameplanet review been added to that 88 Metacritic score? Looking at what other reviews are out there, I'm thinking this might have a chance to hit 90 if Giantbomb reviews it and gives it 5 stars.

xuchu

Has that Gameplanet review been added to that 88 Metacritic score? Looking at what other reviews are out there, I'm thinking this might have a chance to hit 90 if Giantbomb reviews it and gives it 5 stars.

Looks like a 4 or 5 from giant bomb if they review it. Jeff and Jason are loving the technical combat and diablo loot means Jeff is into it too. "You can feed weapons to other weapons". Gamespot, I can see being 9 based on their review in progress. They're weighted heavily on metacritic. EZA hasn't released their review yet have they? Easy 4 or 4.5 from Ben though.

Ratrat

Er. Most people excited for Nioh ARE Dark Souls fans. The Witcher has a completely different design philosophy.

Er. Most people excited for Nioh ARE Dark Souls fans. The Witcher has a completely different design philosophy.

If you put up a thread with the title "Is Nioh better than Dark souls?", you'll have battle lines drawn in seconds.

And there's plenty of chance for that to happen, don't forget the final DLC for DS3 would be out in a few short months.

Ratrat

If you put up a thread with the title "Is Nioh better than Dark souls?", you'll have battle lines drawn in seconds.

And there's plenty of chance for that to happen, don't forget the final DLC for DS3 would be out in a few short months.
But it would be more similar to a Demons Souls vs Dark Souls. Or Bloodborne vs Dark Souls 3 type of argument and not 'that Witcher/Nioh has shit combat/controls/gameplay!'
Also the DS3 dlc so far was considered disappointing by most. Nioh is the perfect remedy for fans growing bored.

I think the Nioh fans and Souls fans overlap in a pretty huge pool, and any vocal people folks that are against two awesome IPs existing that'll quench thirst are just the minority. My Souls groups on Facebook already opened Nioh groups.

Ratrat

I think the Nioh fans and Souls fans overlap in a pretty huge pool, and any vocal people folks that are against two awesome IPs existing that'll quench thirst are just the minority. My Souls groups on Facebook already opened Nioh groups.
Its like how Souls fans often like Dragons Dogma. And many will say it has superior combat.

Zimmy68

I don't know much about the game and decided to watch IGN plays live where they went through the tutorial.
Is it just me or does it look like an early PS3 game, graphics wise?

butman

So i'm seeing the same case as Bloodborne in 2015. Early GOTY canditate, end of the year no one will remember it except GAF.

Kalentan

...What? 8 hours?

I'm only 6 hours in and I've completed... The 'Prologue' level, the tutorial, the 1st Level, the 2nd Level, 4 Sub-missions and half way through the 3rd level... and I've died a fair bit of times too and made sure to explore every corner... How could they take 8 hours to do not even half of that!?

silva1991

I don't get it either. Tutorial level was ridiculously easy. I don't think it took me more than 50 mins and I searched every corner

I don't know much about the game and decided to watch IGN plays live where they went through the tutorial.
Is it just me or does it look like an early PS3 game, graphics wise?

I love Nioh, but it is dated visually.

Top Bottom