• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon 1's new Title to be unveiled...

Srider

Banned
With the mystery cleared up about their adventure game, Nippon 1 does it again with a teaser page on their site.

This is a brand new RPG set to be announced on September 8th in the new Dengeki Playstation magazine in Japan.

So far two characters are shown and you can check it out here.

http://nippon1.jp/news/20060901/index.html

Looking forward to this seemingly more traditional take by Nippon 1.

ethelred

Jefklak said:
SPRG DS :lol :D

Em, I doubt it, given that Nippon Ichi has never either published nor developed a game for Nintendo.

Most likely PS2.

Anyway, this is cool -- I'm not the biggest fan of their stuff, but at least this one looks like it could be different from all their other PS2 games, what with the totally different art.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Em, I doubt it, given that Nippon Ichi has never either published nor developed a game for Nintendo.

Most likely PS2.

Anyway, this is cool -- I'm not the biggest fan of their stuff, but at least this one looks like it could be different from all their other PS2 games, what with the totally different art.

I doubt it too, since it's going to be revealed in DENGEKI PLAYSTATION at at the bottom of the screen it says PLAYSTATION VOLUME :lol

ethelred

Amir0x said:
I doubt it too, since it's going to be revealed in DENGEKI PLAYSTATION at at the bottom of the screen it says PLAYSTATION VOLUME :lol

Well, if you want to get technical, yeah, that too.

Man, what a great art style ruined by the ever more exaggerated anime ridiculousness. Those absurdly huge eyes look so dumb to me, and I don't find it that attractive that every single female has to be popping out of her bra.

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Man, what a great art style ruined by the ever more exaggerated anime ridiculousness. Those absurdly huge eyes look so dumb to me, and I don't find it that attractive that every single female has to be popping out of her bra.

hey at least this N1 character has tits! It's a start!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Looks like she also has a pretty large sword.

duckroll

Interesting departure from normal Nippon Ichi games..... and if the PREVIOUS announcement told us anything about their departures.... I wouldn't get *too* excited. :(

WYWY

Meier said:
I'm really amazed they havent hopped on the DS train yet. It needs more SRPG action.
Nippon Ichi productions tend to be labelled as 'hardcore', 'complex', 'make players run math formulas in their minds'. A poor match to the perceived strengths and concepts of the DS - 'casual', 'simple', 'easy-to-pickup'.

Games like Summon Night is a much better match for the DS.

Srider

Banned
WYWY said:
Nippon Ichi productions tend to be labelled as 'hardcore', 'complex', 'make players run math formulas in their minds'. A poor match to the perceived strengths and concepts of the DS - 'casual', 'simple', 'easy-to-pickup'.

Games like Summon Night is a much better match for the DS.

That's exactly the reason why the best selling game on the DS sells.

Joe Molotov

OatmealMu said:
Those are definitely some creepy eyes, even by anime standards.

enchantgay.gif

WYWY

Elios83 said:
PS3 game,they have been working on it for a while.
Nope. After Disgaea2 release, Dengeki PS did a 'closing interview' with them. (Famitsu gets all the exclusive announcements, Dengeki gets all the closing interviews... and the love-sim announcements.) N1 explicitly stated that their next new project is PS2, and their PS3 effort (i.e. Makai Wars) is still a long way off.

WYWY

Srider said:
That's exactly the reason why the best selling game on the DS sells.
I'm confident that to assume the masses of BrainTraining casual gamers will enjoy the complications of a N1 game is equivalent to commercial suicide.

Unless they make simpler games. N1 director did commented "we're not just interested in making complicated games you know" in their last public interview with DPS.

duckroll

Announced in Famitsu:

Soul Cradle - Devourer of the World (PS2)

- Nippon Ichi Software
- Fantasy SRPG
- Producer: Shinkawa Souhei
- Director: Ikeda Shinichi
- Character designer: toi8
- Supposedly you can get to the last boss within 10 minutes of the game if you choose to

MrDaravon

duckroll said:
Announced in Famitsu:

- Nippon Ichi Software
- Fantasy SRPG
- Supposedly you can get to the last boss within 10 minutes of the game if you choose to

Having SaGa Frontier flashbacks.

Reilly

duckroll said:
Announced in Famitsu:

- Nippon Ichi Software
- Fantasy SRPG

HOT

ethelred

BooJoh said:
So is this essentially the followup to Makai Kingdom, or just another random NIS game?

Why would it be?

I mean, what in this description:

duckroll said:
Announced in Famitsu:

- Nippon Ichi Software
- Fantasy SRPG

... indicates anything related to Makai Kingdom? That seems a weird assumptive leap to make! Particularly considering that the artwork/style is totally different.

Anyway, if Nippon Ichi goes for a new style of game design alongside the new style of artwork they're using here, I might potentially be very interested in this game. Ditching their abusive cycle of shovelware can mean nothing but good things, as I do think they have a kernel of talent somewhere in there, burried down deep, deep inside.

BooJoh

Let me rephrase... is this the next game in line with La Pucelle, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Disgaea 2, or an entirely unrelated and different style of game? I wasn't asking if it was a sequel.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Ditching their abusive cycle of shovelware can mean nothing but good things, as I do think they have a kernel of talent somewhere in there, burried down deep, deep inside.

but... all you like is shovelware RPGs on DS, so why you shun Nippon like that? tsc tsc

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Last boss in 10 minutes? I love how n1 laughs in the face of traditional design.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
but... all you like is shovelware RPGs on DS, so why you shun Nippon like that? tsc tsc

Untrue! I ridicule the shovelware ones. I don't think Square Enix's stuff qualifies as shovelware, though; they're not repackaging the same game over and over again.

sp0rsk said:
Last boss in 10 minutes? I love how n1 laughs in the face of traditional design.

It's like the Metal Saga of SRPGdom.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Untrue! I ridicule the shovelware ones. I don't think Square Enix's stuff qualifies as shovelware, though; they're not repackaging the same game over and over again.

but N1 doesn't repackage the same game over and over - that's an "OBJECTION!" thing. Same graphics engine and shit, but the changes to gameplay which always seem 'tiny' on paper have huge implications in gameplay. Any fan of complex SRPGs with stat whoring love can't go wrong

If you just go by the screenshots, I guess you can think NIS's games are all alike. But other than Disgaea 1&2, they are completely different (well, La Pucelle is pretty clearly a forerunner to Disgaea, but that still is quite different).

In fact, that's probably hurt NIS - a lot of people (like me) really like Disgaea, but are sort of iffy on their other games, because they stray too far from the mold or are too experimental.

And also bear in mind, it's not like NIS is a gigantic company. I would guess most of their titles are lucky to sell 100,000 copies. People seem to want great innovation, great graphics/sound (and a cheap price), but that's just not feasible.

duckroll

More details:

- You can select the gender of the main character
- The game order goes like: Event demo -> Town part and World Map part -> Party Assembly -> Battle Field
- Top down view in Battles
- Movement is determined by speed
- The leader of the party occupies (areas?) to change the movement range
- Party members have special abilities
- The last boss is the "devourer of the world" and as stated before you can fight it within 10 mins of the game starting

Bebpo

Banned
For those who've played the last few N1 games, Toi8 is the artist who does all the amazingly detailed still art pieces that come up during the story and gameplay. Like the next-ep previews, the news coverage pieces that the news cuts to, and the post-battle win pieces for all the class types in D2; the post-battle pieces in Makai Kingdom/PK.

The guy is incredibly good; let's see how it rubs off on the sprites.

Link1110

trancejeremy said:
If you just go by the screenshots, I guess you can think NIS's games are all alike. But other than Disgaea 1&2, they are completely different (well, La Pucelle is pretty clearly a forerunner to Disgaea, but that still is quite different).

In fact, that's probably hurt NIS - a lot of people (like me) really like Disgaea, but are sort of iffy on their other games, because they stray too far from the mold or are too experimental.

Umm, for their last few games:

La Pucelle: As you said, precursor to Disgaea
Disgaea: Many people like
Phantom Brave: Nothing to do with the past 2, different gameplay, too.
Makai Kingdom: Takes place in the same universe as Disgaea, some of the characters even have cameos in Disgaea 2, no grid, but everything else is almost exactly like Disgaea to the point that you could call this a gaiden.
Disgaea 2: Just like Disgaea 1
Soul Cradle: Not much known, but if it keeps the humor it could Chrono Trigger meets Disgaea.

Top Bottom