• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA announces Culdcept Revolt (3DS) for NA, Summer 2017

MLH

yes! Thank you NISA!
I was hoping this would get localized,Culdcept is amazingly addictive. I played the DS version thanks to fan patches and region free console and was disappointed that I may never get to play this. (I also hope it'll come to Europe!)

I highly recommend the series to anyone. Card artwork and monster designs are really nice and unique.

This and Ys VIII, lord - NISA is the real MVP!

Buzzi

I'm crying, it has been 3000 years and finally I'll be able to play it. NISA is the company we don't deserve ;____;

butzopower

proud of his butz
Holy shit! Gives me a reason to dust off the 3DS come summer. This and Phantom Dust got me excited, though I don't even have a proper PC for PD :/

Oregano

What! I actually mentioned this as a possibility in the thread about them having a 3DS game but I didn't think it would actually happen!:O

Fishious

Amazing news. I'd given up hope on an English localization of any Culdcept game going forward. I thought I was done with the 3ds, but apparently fate has other plans.

Cincaid

I love the Culdcept games, too bad I don't own a 3DS or that they never release these games to anything I own. Still fuming that Culdcept Saga was never released in the EU.

Awesome news. Culdcept is life.

Huge fan of the series and this was always a bitter pill that we never got one localized. I'm there Day Fucking 0.
I assume you mean in Europe, because Culdcept 2 on PS2 and Saga on 360 were both localized in NA. It still hurts that Saga was region locked though.
The DS port of the first game also got a complete fantranslation. So technically, with this announcement, every Culdcept game will be playable in English.

Aselith

This is huge! Love me some Culdcept and I was pretty bummed that it didn't seem like this was coming over. Awesome, just awesome! Will wait for it to hit $10!

Aselith

Isnt this a Nintendo game? Holy shit

No, it's a Namco game or at least it was published by them for 360. It may have been moved around a lot in the west though. Culdcept 1 came out for PS2 (edit: I guess it was a FF series situation where the second one came out for PS2 but was marketed in the West as just Culdcept since it was the first release stateside.)

Oregano

No, it's a Namco game or at least it was published by them for 360. It may have been moved around a lot in the west though. Culdcept 1 came out for PS2 (edit: I guess it was a FF series situation where the second one came out for PS2 but was marketed in the West as just Culdcept since it was the first release stateside.)

Nah, the last few Culdcept games have been Nintendo first party.

shaowebb

Isnt this a Nintendo game? Holy shit

Its an OMIYASOFT game. It just has different publishers. It was published by NEC on the PS2, then SEGA on the 360, and since then Nintendo has published the Saturn anniversary remake on the DS, then the PS2/Dreamcast anniversary remake on the 3ds and then the Japanese release of Culdcept Revolt in July of last year.

Now though with NISA publishing it we can FINALLY see some localized Culdcept again!
I hope we get a Cepters cup North America and Europe. In japan corresponding with the release of every new Culdcept has been an all Cepters cup tournament. Prizes have included one of a kind 3ds with Culdcept tournament logos on them, a wood and leather ds case and I'm actually uncertain what the 360 and other titles had.

I'm telling you guys this is gonna be a blast for you. So much has changed for this sequel to make it faster, easier to not over extend mana resources accidently, easier to get strategies moving with territory abilities and no more racing to the finish line if everyone is at goal since you can hit any checkpoint to win once at goal now. Plus larger hand sizes! This means that the discard phase is at the END of your turn...not the beginning. This way if your hand is full and you draw cards for your new turn you'll get a chance to play them that round before your turn ends and your forced to discard.

EDIT:
Here folks. Have a nice Kinu Nishimura sketch of the roster.

y5I1fIB.jpg

Can't wait till you all get to hear the audio themes for these characters BTW. Legendary KENJI ITO composed it. Thats right. Smash Bros guy.

In fact you can check out the soundtrack at Culdcept Central!

Highly Highly recommend tracks 16 and 17 for the fun. They play together as first half and second half music in a lot of stages with some recurring kid characters and are super fun. 17 is LIT around 40 seconds.

Oregano

First party would mean that Nintendo owns Omiyasoft

No it wouldn't. Otherwise Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Kirby are not first party Nintendo IPs.

Culdcept Revolt was published by Nintendo and had development support from Nintendo SPD.

Even when NISA announced it they said they were working with Nintendo.

Clov

First party would mean that Nintendo owns Omiyasoft

First party in this case refers to Nintendo publishing the game in Japan. So while it may not be developed by a first party development division like Nintendo EPD or Intelligent Systems, it still is a first party release in Japan. Nintendo also likely owns the rights to this release, given that NISA had to licence it from Nintendo.

Aselith

No it wouldn't. Otherwise Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Kirby are not first party Nintendo IPs.

Culdcept Revolt was published by Nintendo and had development support from Nintendo SPD.

Even when NISA announced it they said they were working with Nintendo.

That's correct they are technically 2nd party

Oh sweet, this is getting a physi--SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS?

What, the Atlus tax now extends to titles they DISTRIBUTE? What is this horseshit?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
They need to port one of these to Steam. It's the only way I'll ever get to play with another human being again.

shaowebb

They need to port one of these to Steam. It's the only way I'll ever get to play with another human being again.

Honestly NISA could just keep localizing all the handheld ones. Each one is an entirely differetn story and set of cards and well worth it as RPG's too. If PC ever happens as well it'll be the perfect home because its where I see the market for this genre at the most.

Jer

Omg! I literally bought a 360 only because of Culdcept Saga, and it was totally worth it. I have never owned a 3DS and have had no interest in one, but I will absolutely get one for this, and it will also be worth it.

shaowebb

Omg! I literally bought a 360 only because of Culdcept Saga, and it was totally worth it. I have never owned a 3DS and have had no interest in one, but I will absolutely get one for this, and it will also be worth it.

A man after my own heart. I did the same thing for both consoles :)

Jer

A man after my own heart. I did the same thing for both consoles :)

Nice! It's great to see there's other people that have the same love for Culdcept. Other than our little group of friends, I haven't run into many people that have even heard of it. It's sad it's so obscure - it's soo good!

Joqu

I've never played a Culdcept game before but it looks sweet and people are excited so I guess I'm in. Nice to have another 3DS game to look forward to.

But I wonder if my brain is...

I've known about the series for a long time, but never actually played it. The learning curve looks kinda steep.

Nah don't worry about it, it's easy and fun. Doesn't take long to pick it up at all. It really is like playing Monopoly but with some basic stats attached to your properties/creatures.

shaowebb

But I wonder if my brain is...

I've known about the series for a long time, but never actually played it. The learning curve looks kinda steep.

Its not in the slightest at all. If you can play monopoly you're good. You only have ONE card in a battle and you can only give it up to one card to buff it. Its not like Magic or other card games where every turn you are in deep move per move chess. Its more like setting up strategic areas strong enough to hold land or to collect high tolls without easily being killed and then just loading down cards to attack lands you do not wish to pay tolls at.

Thats it. Since you'll see your whole deck before a game finishes out in most cases it means any tactics you wanted to throw in a deck are good. Some tactics are as simple as "I like this big beefy guy that strikes twice and I'd like to equip him with a really high attack weapon" and thats it. Simply roll, move around, hang onto the cards when you draw the ones for that and either try to hit a place to use them or save them just in case you end up landing on troublesomely high toll areas.

Top Bottom