• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nitrogen Studios (Sausage Party) made animators work unpaid OT, blacklisted others

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerg

Dammit, reading this has made me reconsider going to see the film. It'd feel bad knowingly supporting a studio that implemented such bad practices.

This is really how it is in some places. The best places I have been treated has been big AAA companies. I refuse to work for startups or indy companies just have always had bad experiences with them

Wow, I really enjoyed the film, but as an animator I feel like an ass for giving them any money. I honestly wouldn't have gone and waited for it to be available on the bay.

I know it's common practice in the industry, but this seems even worse? Fuck Nitrogen. Give the animators proper credits at least.

Blues1990

Jesus. I have heard some horror stories from some of my friends & co-workers that have worked at Bardel and Atomic Cartoons. But this is unreal.

In retrospect, I'm glad that I had turned down their offer to storyboard and design for this production, as it would've been a miserable experience.

Well fuck now I wish I didn't already give them my money. That's fucking bullshit

Hopefully this coming out leads to some appreciation and conoensation to the people who worked hard.

If it's true that Seth Rogen wasn't aware of this during production then surely he would say or do something about it

Yup I can verify these stories are true. I didn't get credited at the end because I left for another studio even though I worked on a good %20 of the final movie.

Isn't this against regulations of the SAG or director's guild? Or do animators fall through the cracks for both?

Not seeing this movie, hope animators can be properly compensated, hope the film trades, journalist, critics do their job and raise awareness about the issue. Sounds like a cause that merits their attention.

Zaph

It's clear Sausage Party isn't exactly Pixar level, but still I was surprised to see a production budget of only $19M for a feature length animated film.

I guess we now know why.

Burger

Isn't this against regulations of the SAG or director's guild? Or do animators fall through the cracks for both?

SAG & DGA are not VFX unions.

This sort of stuff happens everywhere, worldwide. Until VFX artists pull their socks up and unionise, like almost every other aspect of Hollywood, this will continue to happen.

Ever wonder why Catering is listed before VFX on a films credits? Unions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I will refrain from seeing this. I know what it feels like getting shafted and abused in the entertainment industry by the higher ups.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I feel like this is the billionth damn story I've read about animatorsbeing treated like dogshit. Not just in hollywood but all over the world. It's past time for them to unionize and stop this bullshit from continuing.

old

I feel like this is the billionth damn story I've read about animatorsbeing treated like dogshit. Not just in hollywood but all over the world. It's past time for them to unionize and stop this bullshit from continuing.

Passion profession. Like teaching and social work. There's millions willing to do it for shit pay because they love doing it. There's an army of animators willing to work for peanuts and accept being treated like shit just so they can say they worked on a Pixar film or the next Disney film.

JordanN

Banned
Passion profession. Like teaching and social work. There's millions willing to do it for shit pay because they love doing it. There's an army of animators willing to work for peanuts and accept being treated like shit just so they can say they worked on a Pixar film or the next Disney film.

I don't think anyone loves missing their paycheck or being mistreated badly as stories like these come out.

Loving your job doesn't mean you have to accept slavery. Why is it all the CEO's and people in power don't have to endure the same stuff the artists do? Until the playing field is made level, there should be a government investigation being made into these industries to crackdown on abuse.

Busty

Banned
After the opening the film had and the fact they managed to bring it in cheap (even though Annapurna were financing) I bet Rothman gives these guys a rich first look deal at Sony.

This fucking business.

KHlover

Banned
Probably still going to see the movie. Would feel hypocritical to boycott this and then turn around n play more videogames.

Seik

Banned
Fuck I already saw the movie and had a blast...I was unaware of this. :(

What an absolute shit way to be treated.

Apathy

Seth seems like the type of guy that would do something about this if he was told about it. Maybe get his attention through Twitter.

Unless Seth Rogen knows about this and brings it to light this story is probably gonna get buried. Everyone is more focused on writing about how an adult animated movie was a surprise hit of the summer.

If it wasn't for the threat of losing your job and getting blacklisted, I was about to say that I also don't get paid for overtime and it's practically expected in the construction industry. I regularly work 50-60 hours week but I'm salaried so I don't get paid for any OT. They basically make it the company culture where you regularly stay late to finish shit off as a project manager.

Sucks for the animators though, assuming they are being underpaid then on top of that not getting paid for overtime is an insult.

Arex

I've kinda guessed it based on that reported budget of just 19m. Unfortunately these things probably happen a lot.

Also unpaid OT is pretty common, especially in countries without proper regulation. Still depends on the companies. When I was in Singapore, I worked at one western film company where they actually discourage OT. On my other job at a japanese games company, they expected you to OT. I even heard some people work till late night. I didn't of course lol

I've kinda guessed it based on that reported budget of just 19m. Unfortunately these things probably happen a lot.

Also unpaid OT is pretty common, especially in countries without proper regulation. Still depends on the companies. When I was in Singapore, I worked at one western film company where they actually discourage OT. On my other job at a japanese games company, they expected you to OT. I even heard some people work till late night. I didn't of course lol
That's the thing too, company and country culture will dictate the OT culture which sucks. If your company comes from a country in Europe they tend to work till late night then get ready to feel bad and basically shamed when you don't stay late.

Early on in my company my team members would joke around about how early I would leave from the office, which is to say I'd leave at the 8 hours mark. Of course they were just fucking with me, we're all work buddies, but even with jokes you now feel you gotta stay until late.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Unless Sony knew about it and chose to ignore it, it's not their fuckup.

Wouldn't the incredibly low bill raise some questions? In my industry, this kind of thing would definitely be known by the decision makers in the face of the ultra lowball quote. These guys, including Seth Rogen, know how these studios work and how much certain things generally cost.

I recall this issue being brought up at the Oscars a few years back, and while I was under no illusion things would change dramatically, it's sad to read that the status quo remains.

Timbuktu

I guess that's why pixar movies always cost so much to make; just to retain talent and treat them like human beings.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Jesus. I have heard some horror stories from some of my friends & co-workers that have worked at Bardel and Atomic Cartoons. But this is unreal.

In retrospect, I'm glad that I had turned down their offer to storyboard and design for this production, as it would've been a miserable experience.

No kidding right? I've heard stories from other places and I'm surprise about hearing this from nitrogen as I use to work there and my experiences was positive.

This was before the feature film however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom