• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
IIRC that particular white walker was played by Ian Whyte, the same actor who was later picked to play The Mountain after Conan Stevens quit/was fired. He stands 7 ft 1 in (2.16 m).

Conan's not coming back? Hm, that's too bad, I thought he did a pretty decent job.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup. From what I've understand he didn't get along with the producers and/or wanted to pursue other roles.

Oh yeah? Seems odd since the GoT gig would have been pretty huge for him. I don't think he has that much clout to be picky and choosy about his roles.

Oh yeah? Seems odd since the GoT gig would have been pretty huge for him. I don't think he has that much clout to be picky and choosy about his roles.
IIRC, he picked up roles on Spartacus and The Hobbit, and he had choose between those two or GoT due to scheduling. His explanation on his blog:
I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity.
That makes it sound like it was HBO's decision, so who knows. Maybe they were unwilling to deal with scheduling issues from his other projects. His blog and website are worth a look to anyone that's interested.

Bo-Locks

Yup. From what I've understand he didn't get along with the producers and/or wanted to pursue other roles. Sucks. I'm not really sold on the new Mountain, but let's see.

I just googled his name and found a few posts that he's made on community websites about his time in GOT and his future projects. He seems like a nice guy and everything he posted was complimentary about the show, but you can really tell that he's gritting his teeth and is very bitter about a few things.

The movie roles he's getting seem bigger to me. It looks like he used GOT to open doors for him and moved onto better things.

The girl's boobs were supposed to be ugly, and she was supposed to be ugly in general. I'm not an expert on accents or anything, but she even sounded like some dumbass peasant lowborn.

It was to show a part of Theon's character and how he treats other people, and how he can't control his dick, which says lots of things about the rest of his character and morals.

He likes to dominate other people when he can, as a compensation for feeling inadequate due to his prisoner/ward upbringing. It serves as a stark contrast to when he meets up with his dad and gets owned by him and his sister. He looks out of place, and while he was once riding high on confidence, reality smacks him right back down to the ground.

Listen to this man... 100% on point on everything.

JGS

Banned
What was wrong with that scene?
My standard complaint is that they are basically too long and too poorly staged. I don't expect this to change when the scene goes on for over a minute. The staging was straight out of Cathouse.

To me, the quality of the acting goes down when the actors have to speak accented prose & time their pelvic thrusts. Even Oscar winners would have a tough time of it.
_Isaac said:
Oh man. Nobody ever complains about the nudity in Spartacus. Why are people so concerned about it with this series?
Not really complaining about the nudity overall & not a fan of Spartacus now, but there is a huge difference in style (& quality imo) between the two shows. Spartacus comes across as a show not taking itself too seriously while GoT is pretty much the opposite. I guess both do things for shock value.

Eric C

I'm finding this hilarious. Lily Allen the "Smile" singer is Alfie Allen's (Theon) sister, and she wrote a song about him lol
DYUzu.jpg

9wMhPl.jpg

I was kind of attracted to that girl in a weird way.

She looks familiar, but then I checked her IMDB, and I haven't seen her in any of those movies.

In the show she has feel of someone who will be confident ship captain.

So do I, unfortunately, when I rewatched the episode, I imagined Theon feeling up Lily Allen instead of Yara.
Just listened to the song "Alfie" as well, seems pretty accurate to me.

Stop being a twat, Theon.

rififi

I'm finding this hilarious. Lily Allen the "Smile" singer is Alfie Allen's (Theon) sister, and she wrote a song about him lol

So do I, unfortunately, when I rewatched the episode, I imagined Theon feeling up Lily Allen instead of Yara.
Just listened to the song "Alfie" as well, seems pretty accurate to me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"He says you're all reavers and rapers, and that no matter how many women you have, you'll never be satsif-UNGHHHHH!"

Fuckin' LOL when that happened.

Oh, and, another note about the sex scenes featuring Theon. Right when his sister owns him in front of their father, she quips, "Anything with a cock is easy to fool".

This is an important theme that we've seen in the series.

Jangocube

Banned
Glad the white walkers are finally being shown again. Pretty crazy to open up a series with a "monster" and then wait an entire season for it to be shown again(yes, I know that's probably how the books have it set up as well).

Does anyone else have friends that are constantly trying to spoil this series/show for you? Have two buddies of mine that seem hellbent on trying to subtly spoil this show for me and it's driving me crazy. We always talk about the show, and I always say, "don't tell me what happens in the books" and they always say, "but dude, you gotta know this one thing". Annoying lil buggers...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Glad the white walkers are finally being shown again. Pretty crazy to open up a series with a "monster" and then wait an entire season for it to be shown again(yes, I know that's probably how the books have it set up as well).

Does anyone else have friends that are constantly trying to spoil this series/show for you? Have two buddies of mine that seem hellbent on trying to subtly spoil this show for me and it's driving me crazy. We always talk about the show, and I always say, "don't tell me what happens in the books" and they always say, "but dude, you gotta know this one thing". Annoying lil buggers...
Punch them in the face. Problem solved.

_Isaac

I have a cousin who does something similar. I just make Game of Thrones talk off limits. I don't even bring it up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those friends sound like dicks, being smug that they know something you don't, as if that is some kind of evidence of their superiority.

bengraven

"He says you're all reavers and rapers, and that no matter how many women you have, you'll never be satsif-UNGHHHHH!"

Fuckin' LOL when that happened.

Oh, and, another note about the sex scenes featuring Theon. Right when his sister owns him in front of their father, she quips, "Anything with a cock is easy to fool".

This is an important theme that we've seen in the series.

Hm, never mind. No spoilers here, even in brackets.

But I think I read into what you wrote and thought I saw what you meant.

nomis

My sister told me that there were a group of guys on her train to work that were talking loudly and clearly about spoilers, including multiple character deaths, from the second and third books. If I was there I would have punched them in the fucking teeth.

Jangocube

Banned
My sister told me that there were a group of guys on her train to work that were talking loudly and clearly about spoilers, including multiple character deaths, from the second and third books. If I was there I would have punched them in the fucking teeth.

I don't condone violence.

But here I'd let it slide...

People DIE??!?!!?

You'd think that book readers would want to ensure as many people as possible experienced this stuff without knowing anything before hand, as we did. I had a couple minor things spoiled for me (by my own doing) as I read the books years ago, but ultimately got through without seeing anything big. I want you guys and the rest of the new fans to have those same shock moments, and the moments of humor or horror etc.

I try to avoid even discussing it irl for fear of letting something slip

You'd think that book readers would want to ensure as many people as possible experienced this stuff without knowing anything before hand, as we did. I had a couple minor things spoiled for me (by my own doing) as I read the books years ago, but ultimately got through without seeing anything big. I want you guys and the rest of the new fans to have those same shock moments, and the moments of humor or horror etc.

I try to avoid even discussing it irl for fear of letting something slip

People like showing off knowledge they have that others don't. Or in some cases just want someone to talk about Game of Thrones with.

nomis

THERE ARE BOOKS?!?!???!!!?1

fwiw, I was in the process of editing "character deaths" to be spoiler'd, but I saw that I had already been quoted. Sorry. Still, not anticipating characters dying over 1500
pages
of material in a narrative like this, with WARS and things, would be a bit naive.

It says right there in the thread title that there are books!

People DIE??!?!!?

iQ2C1Yq1Kb9Uw.png

Again, whether your shock is feigned or not, I apologize.

She looks familiar, but then I checked her IMDB, and I haven't seen her in any of those movies.

In the show she has feel of someone who will be confident ship captain.

Wow, she scored a nice gig for such a thin CV.

I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't even confirm that Sean Bean is no longer in it to a friend who just picked up the Blu-Ray and quickly deduced that he gets killed because he's not in any of the Season Two promos.

JB1981

some musings:

I think the scene in 1st ep of season 2 with Bran dreaming of the Direwolf means a wolf alone in the woods, away from the south. "The Woods" i.e. the old Gods (the Seven who the North pray to). Next scene Bran goes to water hole, looks up and sees the red comet, i.e. the thread of the new gods/religion coming to Westeros by way of Melisandre. The Starks are all alone.

Re: Stannis
Stannis is true heir to throne. Ned died trying to ensure that. Stannis has no children, right? So if he has child with Melisandre and she produces a son (who sounds like he might be some kind of messiah), the son would eventually be a prince. Or would he be a bastard since Stannis is already married. Stannis' son might be a wicked prince since he would be offspring of Melisandre (or do they truly bring light into the world?). If they turn out to be bad and claim throne then Ned Stark royally screwed up.

some musings:

I think the scene in 1st ep of season 2 with Bran dreaming of the Direwolf means a wolf alone in the woods, away from the south. "The Woods" i.e. the old Gods (the Seven who the North pray to). Next scene Bran goes to water hole, looks up and sees the red comet, i.e. the thread of the new gods/religion coming to Westeros by way of Melisandre. The Starks are all alone.

Or the comet could mean dragons. Or it could mean Lannister red... foreshadowing the victory of the Lannisters. Or it could mean Ned's blood... foreshadowing the Starks' revenge.

I think drawing any sort of firm conclusion on the comet's meaning based on what we've seen so far would be folly.

Revolver

Another decent episode. Tyrion, Daenerys and Arya are the main reasons I keep watching. I just really like those characters. I still get lost from time to time trying to keep up with all the different characters coming and going though. I think I might have an easier time if I just waited and take in the episodes back to back.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
some musings:

I'm not sure what you mean by "away from the south", but I'm pretty sure that the imagery was the same during the dream, and when Bran went there himself, indicating that they are the same place.

The "old gods" are not The Seven. The old gods that the North pray to are only represented by the white weirwood trees with faces carved into them.

The South pray to The Seven.

The HBO viewer's guide has a good description of all the religions:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/guide/appendix/gods-old-and-new/

JGS

Banned
Tyrion was such a boss this episode. Will be interesting to see the power struggle between him, Cersei, and Joffrey this season.
That's the biggest unknown at this point. Joffrey has pretty much gotten past his loyalty to his family. He could just as easily kill Tyrion as threaten his mother - especially if he remebers that smack from first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom