• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'No doubt left' about scientific consensus on global warming, say experts

The scientific consensus that humans are causing global warming is likely to have passed 99%, according to the lead author of the most authoritative study on the subject, and could rise further after separate research that clears up some of the remaining doubts.

The Little Ice Age, for example, reached its extreme point in the 15th century in the Pacific Ocean, the 17th century in Europe and the 19th century elsewhere, says one of the studies. This localisation is markedly different from the trend since the late 21st century when records are being broken year after year over almost the entire globe, including this summer’s European heatwave.

Major temperature shifts in the distant past are also likely to have been primarily caused by volcanic eruptions, according to another of the studies, which helps to explain the strong global fluctuations in the first half of the 18th century as the world started to move from a volcanically cooled era to a climate warmed by human emissions. This has become particularly pronounced since the late 20th century, when temperature rises over two decades or longer have been the most rapid in the past two millennia, notes the third.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/science...us-on-humans-causing-global-warming-passes-99

We're fucked.

Papa

Banned
I’ve no doubt that the science is legit and manmade climate change is real. The question is what we do about it. I’m yet to see a proposed solution that doesn’t sell out the West’s economic prosperity and cede global dominance to China, which is a worse fate than climate change imo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Even most far right believe in climate change(excluding the nutjobs), what they challenge is the cause of it.

But yeah, climate change is real, almost everyone knows it and accepts it.

bitbydeath

I disagree that we’re causing it because history has already gone through ice ages and such.

We’re making it arrive at a faster rate though.

Birdo

Banned
There is literally nothing we can do about it.

Slow it down a little? Yes. Stop it? Nope. Were fucked eventualy.

Papa

Banned
Getting rid of straws and rich white guys. Muh baby steps

I used to laugh at the straw thing but then I saw the video of the turtle with one stuck up its nose that DeepEnigma DeepEnigma posted and my heart broke. Banning plastic straws won’t do shit for climate change, especially since 90% of the world’s plastic pollution comes out of Africa and Asia, but if it reduces direct harm to animals I’m for it.

Super Mario

Banned
I used to laugh at the straw thing but then I saw the video of the turtle with one stuck up its nose that DeepEnigma DeepEnigma posted and my heart broke. Banning plastic straws won’t do shit for climate change, especially since 90% of the world’s plastic pollution comes out of Africa and Asia, but if it reduces direct harm to animals I’m for it.

What happens if I find a video of an octopus who had a cell phone explode in its stomach?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Banning plastic straws won’t do shit for climate change, especially since 90% of the world’s plastic pollution comes out of Africa and Asia,
Sure, but that's not the global picture. The West ships a lot of our garbage and "recyclable" waste to Asia for "processing".

Also any advances we make in materials science or recycling/waste disposal here in the non-shithole countries can then be exported to benefit the rest of the world.

Gotta do our part. While it's true that now the first world is "cleaner" than the developing world, taken as a whole over time since the industrial revolution, the west still is responsible for a significant amount of pollution generated in exchange for all this progress made.

That being said, crippling the west's economy is not the solution since the economy is tied to progress.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fine, whatever. what are they doing about it? it would be nice for these climate scientists to say "Hey we worked really hard and invented this new solar cell that improves efficiency by 100x revolutionizing green power" or something constructive rather than "Hey we worked really hard and came up with this report on how other scientists fucked up the planet"

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Does it ever give anyone pause that we are making long term predictions and still can’t seem to nail local weather? Not that I doubt the scientists but just saying lol

Petrae

To avoid extinction, humans are going to have to figure shit out. Kinda weird to think that humanity is faced with this in my lifetime. I always thought it would be nuclear war that killed us, not climate change due to humans being assholes.

The world won’t unite and do anything about this until it’s far too late. Before that, expect a lot of bickering and finger-pointing to establish blame and moral superiority as the end truly begins.

Breakage

And the world's population is going to keep growing. No doubt that will only exacerbate the effects of climate change.
Many people just aren't prepared for the instability.

MetalAlien

Banned
nKnOUaT.gif

5dOgQOR.png

juliotendo

The Earth has gone through several climate cycles in its lifetime before complex organisms even existed.

If you think we (humans) can do anything to change it you’re wrong and also full of shit.

This doesn’t mean pollute the environment and stop giving a shit. It just means we cannot alter the course the planet is on.

If you want to place carbon taxes and other nonsense so your belly feels nice and warm at night - good luck. The Earth doesn’t care.

Only for a civilization that lacks imagination and innovation. We are a species that has ample amounts of both, as history shows. As long as we continue technological advancement, our options for dealing with this issue will increase accordingly.

Isn't technology itself the problem? How can you solve the effects of technology and industrialization with more technology? This is just another substitute for religion. Technology has a religious flair, seen as a fairy goddess which will solve all of man's problems. Not even asking why there are these problems in the first place. It's like the story of the sorceress's apprentice. Mankind (in its current state) is way too proud, apathetic, and self-indulged to leave the entirety of civilization behind it seems, at least in a voluntary way. We're also brainwashed to think that primitive people are violent and live in harsh conditions (thanks to propagandists like Thomas Hobbes). If anything, we're trained to look down on them, while in reality they are a whole lot happier, healthier, and do live in a community in the real sense of the word. But of course, they should either be killed, exploited, or brought down to "our level" (converted) by the "superior" civilized of the world.

Also, the whole green energy thing is a total sham, and just another corporate thing. Electric cars with their poisonous batteries? Solar panels? All these things require exploitation of natural resources and pollution of the environment. You can't fight fire with fire.

Yeah, we should be all too careful and mindful about the environment, pay more, while the fucking corporations, plants, and factories are responsible for the majority of the pollution. Look at China and India at the moment.

It may sound contradictory as I also make use of technology (hell, this is a video games forum!), but I keep it at a bare minimum. Just like the fact that I'm born in a civilization, doesn't mean I agree with it. At least I'm aware of its disastrous effects and am able to talk about it.

An excerpt from Richard Heinberg's Was Civilization a Mistake? from 1997 :

"Many primal peoples tend to view us as pitiful creatures, too—though powerful and dangerous because of our technology and sheer numbers. They regard civilization as a sort of social disease. We civilized people appear to act as though we were addicted to a powerful drug—a drug that comes in the forms of money, factory—made goods, oil, and electricity. We are helpless without this drug, so we have come to see any threat to its supply as a threat to our very existence. Therefore we are easily manipulated—by desire (for more) or fear (that what we have will be taken away)—and powerful commercial and political interests have learned to orchestrate our desires and fears in order to achieve their own purposes of profit and control. If told that the production of our drug involves slavery, stealing, and murder, or the ecological equivalents, we try to ignore the news so as not to have to face an intolerable double bind."

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Earth has gone through several climate cycles in its lifetime before complex organisms even existed.

If you think we (humans) can do anything to change it you’re wrong and also full of shit.

This doesn’t mean pollute the environment and stop giving a shit. It just means we cannot alter the course the planet is on.

If you want to place carbon taxes and other nonsense so your belly feels nice and warm at night - good luck. The Earth doesn’t care.
Yup.

What have global temperatures increased in the past 100 years? 1 degree tops?

When the globe goes through eras of hot and cold ages, the Earth's temperature rose or dropped more than 10 degrees alone and there weren't even humans. Best you got were maybe some primitive lifeforms and dumb as rocks cavemen who didn't even know how to make fire.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

Banned
I’ve no doubt that the science is legit and manmade climate change is real. The question is what we do about it. I’m yet to see a proposed solution that doesn’t sell out the West’s economic prosperity and cede global dominance to China, which is a worse fate than climate change imo.

Not going to be much left to lord over China when all the seas around the world swallow up our low lying cities and massive weather events topple whatever's left. Now that may be "alarmist" but I'm done playing chicken with an imagined geopolitical problem when a real ecological crisis is in the horizon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not going to be much left to lord over China when all the seas around the world swallow up our low lying cities and massive weather events topple whatever's left. Now that may be "alarmist" but I'm done playing chicken with an imagined geopolitical problem when a real ecological crisis is in the horizon.
In 100 years of industrialization, rising global temperatures of about 1 degree, there are zero places swallowed up.

Sea levels have budged so little anyone with beachfront likely had no difference.

Don't fall for liberal BS.

Same went for the 1970s "we are out of oil everyone". It's now 2019 and we're still here with humongous oil reserves. But good for oil companies. ANytime someone promotes "we're out of oil", oil prices rise.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

Banned
In 100 years of industrialization, rising global temperatures of about 1 degree, there are zero places swallowed up.

Sea levels have budged so little anyone with beachfront likely had no difference.

Don't fall for liberal BS.

Same went for the 1970s "we are out of oil everyone". It's now 2019 and we're still here with humongous oil reserves. But good for oil companies. ANytime someone promotes "we're out of oil", oil prices rise.

Your lense is too wide. The increase in sea level has drastically increased in the last decade, and there are co2 pockets trapped in the ice sheets that are going to exaserbate warming trends, not to mention loss of ice changes the planet's albedo.

If you want a window into some of the issues without the "liberal bs" watch potholer on YouTube. He does a very good job of examining claims made by both political parties on the subject of climate change.

Papa

Banned

Utterly myopic and arrogant of you to think that our new Chinese overlords would share and promote the same cultural ideals as us when they supplant the US as the dominant global superpower.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
fine, whatever. what are they doing about it? it would be nice for these climate scientists to say "Hey we worked really hard and invented this new solar cell that improves efficiency by 100x revolutionizing green power" or something constructive rather than "Hey we worked really hard and came up with this report on how other scientists fucked up the planet"
Governments and industry won't let that happen. It cuts too far into their profit margins.

CeroFrio996

Banned

Why would climate scientists engineer green energy solutions? Why are you bitching about them for doing their job instead of veering so far out of their area of expertise?

No one denies this. The issue isn't the rise in temperature, it's the rate at which its risen.

We know carbon does this, and we know that human industrialism frees sequestered carbon.

danielberg

Neophyte
It wouldn even fix global warming considering we are talking about china lol

iconmaster

Banned
When I was in grade school, we learned about chlorofluorocarbons breaking down the ozone layer. That was decades ago. Point is, we weren’t doing much about it then (we couldn’t even get rid of Aqua Net) and we’re probably not going to do a lot about it anytime soon.

Besides, aren’t we supposedly past the point of no return by now? I think from here we just ride it out with the power of air conditioning.

Sorry, polar bears.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Capitalism will destroy our planet, full steam ahead.

I'm watching this show called The 100. Just accept widespread death.
I'm not destroyed.

Western markets are great for hard working people who have good education and good jobs. Even with insane progressive high taxes to pay for government services and deadbeats on welfare, you still make bank and afford a good home and BMW.

Put in the time, make mucho dimes.

Last edited:

jtt935

Arguing about who caused it is dumb and it’s naive for people to think the earth’s climate has never changed in its existence. What really irritates me is the lack of solutions except for “let’s throw taxpayer money at the problem.” The Paris Agreement was idealistic nonsense that would’ve only helped people feel good about themselves that they at least tried something. If you really wanted to make a difference, how about going up to some of the worst polluters like China and India and getting them to clean up their act.

Arkage

Banned
Even most far right believe in climate change(excluding the nutjobs), what they challenge is the cause of it.

But yeah, climate change is real, almost everyone knows it and accepts it.

The consensus is around humans causing it. Not that it's happening.

Also, the right have been dragging their feet on this subject for decades. They have no excuse for their position on the topic, what with their deep ties to oil money. Maybe if they had been helping to participate in the topic rather than outright deny it's existence we'd have better solutions by now.

Last edited:
I'm not destroyed.

Western markets are great for hard working people who have good education and good jobs. Even with insane progressive high taxes to pay for government services and deadbeats on welfare, you still make bank and afford a good home and BMW.

Put in the time, make mucho dimes.

Um, humanity rather not take it up the ass, thank you. Public/Private is adapting.

If you really wanted to make a difference, how about going up to some of the worst polluters like China and India and getting them to clean up their act.

Rather than pointing fingers, you should do more research.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Um, humanity rather not take it up the ass, thank you. Public/Private is adapting.
Best places to live are western countries with capital markets. High standard of living, great jobs, safe, and the the richer you are, the lower the birth rate, so it's doesn't get overpopulated.

Poorer countries are the opposite. Overpopulated, dingy living conditions, often shitty governments, and some reason the people don't know what a rubber is. So they end up with too many kids, which they can't afford, never mind barely being able to maintain their own life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom