• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Fat Drake in Uncharted 4

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I want my donut Drake. And I want him to be adjusted accordingly in the game. Speed, agility and all that.

People whining about other people being too sensitive on a subject so pointless and stupid that only sensitive people would whine about it. Ok.

dity

Well that sucks, and of course we've already got people calling it fat shaming, get a grip.

This is not what Finn and Jake would say. Finn and Jake would say "not wanting to do the joke is mathtacular" and high-five while a large candy-person smiles

Did my part.

DflqMrD.jpg

Dennis

Banned
I don't really care about this optional skin but citing "maturity" as the reason strikes me as silly regarding the latest installment of a murder simulator.

More likely they just thought the potential backlash from a vocal section just wasn't worth dealing with.

WcAsIuY.jpg

Blobbers

not really buying that statement, I bet good old neil simply thinks that fat drake would get major backlash in the current gaming climate so he opted out

SilentRob

More likely they just thought the potential backlash from a vocal section just wasn't worth dealing with.

Neil Druckman and ND as a whole are part of that "vocal section" you think they are afraid of, but sure, go ahead and blame a non-existent outrage.

They changed their approach and didn't think making a playable fat joke would be appropiate or funny anymore. You can disagree with them on that, but don't just ignore their reasoning and blame someone else.

Right after releasing the Uncharted NDC Collection that includes not one, not two, but THREE seperate trophies for using the 'Donut' skins? Smh. Does this AT LEAST confirm that there will be OTHER skins actually usable?

Not developed by ND and it's likely they had little to do with the trophies of those games.

"Matured"? These are fucking video games.

*sigh*

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Has Sony given a response yet? I can not imagine that they want to be affiliated with Naughty Dog after this fiasco.

Right after releasing the Uncharted NDC Collection that includes not one, not two, but THREE seperate trophies for using the 'Donut' skins? Smh. Does this AT LEAST confirm that there will be OTHER skins actually usable?

Yeah maybe they'll have Toon Drake again instead or something, a reference to Crash's body shape like in UC1.

As long as character skins are in the game at all, along with the other cheats/tweaks we've gotten in UC1/UC2 I'm fine.

I would be incredibly disappointed if they went the TLOU route with respect to skins and it's just Drake with different clothes and no way to actually change from playing as Drake... HOPEFULLY it's not like that.

Yeah I hope the devs have some fun with Drake for his last adventure.
I've only read of regular alternate skins as pre-order bonus stuff?

They could always pump out some funny skins or whatever as free DLC too down the line.
The trailers have been super gloomy as well, though.

Ok, I haven't watched any new trailers.
Still don't think that means everything is tonally depressing the entire game though.

Jonbo298

Just when I thought Doughnuts in Gaming was gaining acceptance, ND proves they are aligning with the wrong side of history.

I had always thought that was just some photoshop someone made haha. "Maturity" sounds like a silly reason, avoiding potential backlash sounds like a more reasonable one.

wheeplash

Really?

While im sure many just like the fact that Drake is different when he is 'doughnut drake', you are basically fat shaming by including the character model.

Yes he isnt real, but obviously Neil feels that including that character skin just encourages the idea that someone being fat is funny or making fun of it is valid which could make some people believe the same thing goes for people in real life.

While some may disagree with that idea, its also completely fair that Neil feels that way and has decided to do his part and not include a potentially harmful stereotype.

Being obese like that shows how litle respect a person has for himself/herself, what's the fucking point of being so politically correct when they brought it on themselves.

Inb4 "there are medical conditions!" Yeah, I'm sure they are the majority, s/.

I had always thought that was just some photoshop someone made haha. "Maturity" sounds like a silly reason, avoiding potential backlash sounds like a more reasonable one.

They've been doing it for the previous Uncharted games, and there not a single backlash I can remember or pinpoint to that have caused this to not happen for Uncharted 4.

It's Neil's personal decision so I guess there's that. Whatever.

Shifty

I'm having serious doubts about U4 if he really said " "I thought we’d matured beyond that." What in the fuck?

latest

Pretty much says it all.

They've been doing it for the previous Uncharted games, and there not a single backlash I can remember or pinpoint to that have caused this to not happen for Uncharted 4.

I feel like the amount of backlash-related "we removed a thing" incidents lately may factor into this somehow. People are seeking controversy to get mad over, and I think ND are preemptively shielding themselves from that.

Disagree with the decision, he looks awesome and hilarious. This is coming from an obese person. But I am not interseted in the series, thus I am not a potential customer, therefore my opinion is irrelevant...

so why I am even making this post again?

Druckmann is the Zack Snyder of game director's. He just doesn't get the levity of this franchise and the character. Somebody save Drake from his murderous clutches. Please! Somebody do something!

Dennis

Banned
I agree that Fat Drake is immature.

But so is the whole concept of Uncharted.

It is a videogame where you survive going up against thousand of enemies and escaping certain death over and over. It is fantasy.

BetaM

That's dumb. Are they going to patch it out of the PS4 collection and PS3 games now?

Luckily, they can never patch out their GOAT chubby character.
1089108-papupapu.jpg

even though they would probably retcon him

"I didn't want to have a laugh at someone’s expense," adding that, "I thought we’d matured beyond that."

And people still think ND will make another Crash game, LOL.

Armigr

This makes no sense, because now they have to deal with the guaranteed backlash from an equally vocal but much more aggressive section instead.

There's no way they made this decision to "avoid controversy" because it's more likely to cause controversy than anything. The dev team most likely decided on their own accord that having a character around for the specific purpose of making fun of overweight people wasn't the way to go.

A lot of people in this thread are saying this makes them worried the game won't have a light tone, which is completely bizarre. Cutting out out jokes that make fun of marginalized people is likely to make the game more lighthearted, not less. "Haha, fat guy goes boom!" isn't exactly lighthearted humour. It's actually quite the opposite.

Alienous

For Uncharted 4 all I want is for Misha to seek revenge for the death of his father.

That's in Uncharted 4. They have a showdown near the end of the game. She pleads her case, and Nathan gives a heartfelt response. Then when she forgives him and lets her guard down Drake shoots her.

"It was me or her, Sully"

Moosichu

I genuinely don't understand who this is being considerate of though? It's not affecting my purchase decision, but I'm slightly let down as it added replayability. I love hugely changed, and was especially excited as all cutscenes are realtime now.

Why would someone who is overweight be hurt by the existence of Donut Drake? I have overweight friends who love Uncharted and find Donut Drake hilarous. I used to be overweight as well and I don't get it.

Top Bottom