• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man Sky Tease From Sean Murray

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I tried it not long ago, and it was still the same for me. I say 'weird' because i have seen Youtube vids of people running the game on worse PC's than mine and it ran fine.

Could sound like an AMD issue - if that's the hardware you have.

Traianvs

No mans sky sucks, he can keep that shit for himself.
IdenticalSillyChanticleer-small.gif

No?

He's just a game developer without PR. Welcome to all development.

This is why we have PR at studios, because if you let developers talk they'll just state everything before it gets approved. There is no game out now without major cuts, its just you usually don't hear about it.

Finally some sense in this thread. Thanks.

Too many "pathological haters" in this thread. Game totally redeemed itself.

Zannegan

I don't know, I only played after that major patch/expansion, and the game still felt pretty lifeless and shallow to me. So many worlds with so much variety, but everything felt the same. Honestly, in the ten or so hours I spent with each, I found Starlink more engaging, and that's as repetitive as all get-out.

Given that Murray intentionally oversold his game (if not outright lied about it), I can at least understand where the "haters" are coming from without being one of them. That said, I get why fans of the game (if not its creator) would be tired of the same old criticisms.
*shrug*

Blancka

He kept the lies public well after the game went gold and sold it omitting features he promised. Multiplayer for example. They may have updated the game to what it was supposed to be over time, but they could only afford to do that by being funded by ill-gotten money from people who bought a falsely advertised product. "He doesn't have PR" doesn't make it alright when he put thousands of people out $60 or more buying a product that was dishonestly advertised.

I may pick up NMS when the VR launches for it, but there's not a hope in hell I'd ever buy a game from these guys day 1, or take any of their hype building for future products seriously. Yep, they fixed it in the end, but it shouldn't have been broken to begin with. People should get their $60 when they buy the game, not months/years down the line.

If you're willing to forgive, fair enough. That's your prerogative, but it's just plain ignorant to act that it's unreasonable for people to still be wary of the dude and his company. Small businesses don't get away with false advertising because they can't afford PR and marketing teams, game developers shouldn't get a free pass either.

I put in so many hours in this game when it first came out looped the ending like 5 times, now that is has all these great stuff I have not even checked any of it on my PS4

not sure what would get me to start over. Switch might help if it could even run on it.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm weary of the Sean Murray hate.

I don't know where the line is between "lie" and "overpromise." If you say you'll do something, and you fulfill your promise later than expected, have you lied? The charitable interpretation is that Hello Games intended multiplayer for No Man's Sky and eventually delivered the feature. If you believe their roadmap, they're about to expand on it.

The free updates have been incredible, there's a VR mode (that some have already played, it's not vaporware), and the game is endlessly engaging for a certain type of person. It's not for everyone.

Sean Murray never explicitly said "I'm sorry," but he did own up: "Whilst I couldn’t be prouder of the team, I personally made mistakes." Not the weaselly "mistakes were made," but "I personally made mistakes."

I wish some of you could find it in yourselves to let it go.

I don't know where the line is between "lie" and "overpromise." If you say you'll do something, and you fulfill your promise later than expected, have you lied? The charitable interpretation is that Hello Games intended multiplayer for No Man's Sky and eventually delivered the feature. If you believe their roadmap, they're about to expand on it.

The free updates have been incredible, there's a VR mode (that some have already played, it's not vaporware), and the game is endlessly engaging for a certain type of person. It's not for everyone.

Sean Murray never explicitly said "I'm sorry," but he did own up: "Whilst I couldn’t be prouder of the team, I personally made mistakes." Not the weaselly "mistakes were made," but "I personally made mistakes."

Hate is a destructive emotion, one that will produce results as negative as the emotions that feed it.

~~~Phunkydiabetic
~~~Master Philosopher​

Blancka

NSM wasn't sold as a GAAS game, or as early access or even with a roadmap. In my eyes, it's good that they went back to right the wrongs, but considering the other option would have been releasing the game with the promised features or making it public info that some features were to be added later, they still cheated people out of their money. I'll never understand the mentality of holding those who make mistakes and then fix them in higher regard than those who don't make mistakes to begin with. The end result is the same, only the latter never screwed anyone over to begin with, yet the former ends up with more credit for taking more time instead of delivering from day one.

scalman

i bought this game 2 times even on ps4 ant on pc. and never regret it. its a game that leave you the freedom to do something in that worlds, just for me wish there would be more things to do as solo player... they just want to please now those MP guys and i dont care for that at all...

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Great game and developer and I look forward to any future updates. Hating on this game or developer after all the that has occurred since release is pathetic.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Sean f'd up in the beginning. He sat quiet, reflected, and started working on the game he wanted to make. His team didn't dissolve, but put in a lot of work to get it where it is today. Update after update, content after content and the game is getting better and better. To the people who bought it day one and was disappointed, just log in and you just got what you were imagining. A lot of people who made mistakes would rather double down or sweep it under the rug. Hello Games bit their tongue and turned it around.

scalman

game gets better because it adds multiplayer ? plz ... this is just bs... i like some older builds more then new ones...some stuff was better back then ... we dont need sims game in no mans sky. and man said what his vision is when it released i get game that he was imagined .... its different thing because you dont get all with arrows and pointers as those modern games....

John Day

Love the game, have it since day 1 but haven’t dedicated much time to it. But it has been worth my $60. And love the continued support. Love it that they didn’t drop it and ran when they faced the backlash from the hype.

Play from time to time.

Blancka

That's fine, but there's less regard and there's no regard.
Not asking for anyone to agree with my opinion here. It's just that, an opinion. However there's always a lot of posts in any NSM thread vilifying people who haven't forgiven Hello Games, and I'm just pointing out that it's in no way unreasonable to not trust them given the only game they've put out was falsely advertised as a complete package, with literal lies spread that weren't retracted during the period between the game going gold and getting released (after features present were confirmed and locked in). It was an early access game that was sold as the complete package. People vilify early access as it is in general, and the only real difference here is that Hello games never said they were in early access, they just lied about the games features and showed dishonest trailers like the pre-programmed demo they showed off that made the games environments look far better, which was then found left in the games files,

Maybe some people are swayed by the current state of NMS, and that's fine, but I just think it's silly that people criticize other studios for far less and form mobs around it, while a ton of people expect a free pass for Hello Games. In my view, business practices like this shouldn't be forgiven. If a game is sold as a complete retail release and not pre-advertised to be early access, GAAS, etc with buyers fully aware of how it's planned to work. I wouldn't buy from any other business that falsely advertised what they sold to me, and I don't see why that should be any different when it comes to games.

Top Bottom