• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

paulogy

"Somehow," as if it's this abstract, vague mystery. Pretty sure the way they feel burned is in the $60 they blew on a game that never was.

If folks don't have $60 to spend on a new game that might disappoint them, they should definitely:
(a) wait until the full impressions are in - and as we all know it didn't take long for there to be plenty to read about NMS in the days after launch
(b) wait until the price comes down - it's currently $24
(c) buy from Steam so it can be returned
(d) buy physical so it can be traded in
(e) wait until the game is updated to add more of the features they were hoping for

If not all of the above.

If people aren't doing these basic things to protect their own investments, I find it hard to sympathize.

From what I can remember, performance was terrible on my pc. One of the worst performing games on my rig ( FX 6300 stock, 8GB of Ram and GTX 760) Was it optimized down the line?

How's the modding scene? Is it possible to reach those deceiving visuals that were shown before release?

Ratros

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

Exactly. It is applaudable that they are still releasing updates for the game, but the ship has pretty much sailed. The sensible solution is to admit the mistakes, start working on the next project and reorganize the studio so that bad reputation won't follow.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I got the platinum and enjoyed it, but haven't really gone back since the big patches began. I'll have to find time soon to see all the new stuff. New story elements sounds like a good opportunity for that.

paulogy

Okay so no joke, is this worth buying? I was looking forward to it so much when it first came out but then I heard about all the issues. And now I'm so paranoid about dropping money on it.

It's $24 on PSN right now. I thought it was worth it at launch for $60, and they've added two major updates since, and this third one seems like a doozy.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Back on topic, eh?

We need a catch all thread for all of the endless speculative fiction and general whining. It's been said countless times and no one cares. We're here to discuss the update.

I'm glad HG are making a serious effort to grow the game. The last two updates were significant and they had none of the build up this ARG has offered.

I also hope they leave some mysteries for us which seems to be the case since etarc/CSD is sticking around.

theWB27

From what I can remember, performance was terrible on my pc. One of the worst performing games on my rig ( FX 6300 stock, 8GB of Ram and GTX 760) Was it optimized down the line?

How's the modding scene? Is it possible to reach those deceiving visuals that were shown before release?

Think word around mod city is they keep struggling to remove the salt from the game... so visuals vary depending on who you ask.

Gestault

I'll give them this, they are making the effort to make things right. That's more then what most companies give you, but sadly for me I don't think I can personally ever get into the game. The burn was too real, but the effort is still positive.

Most companies don't put themselves in this position in the first place, so while it's appreciated and ends up with an improved game over time, any sort of goodwill they generate is working against a deficit they created in the first place.

And this isn't directed at you (I think your comment is legit): I think fans of the game risk actively irritating those original frustrations from other buyers when they overstate how inconsequential the original situation was, or how grateful people should be for the post-launch support. I thankfully dropped off my original playtime after not *too* long compared to other people, after I accidently guess the non-ending while making a joke about the worst possible ending I could imagine. I think if this story addition actually delivers on some of that original intrugue, I'll get something out of it when I get into it.

c0Zm1c

Patches have improved the performance over time on PC. It was quite a mess on release.

mokeyjoe

Okay so no joke, is this worth buying? I was looking forward to it so much when it first came out but then I heard about all the issues. And now I'm so paranoid about dropping money on it.

Who are you asking here? If you're asking fans of th game then they're going to say yes (it was easily my most played game of last year), if you ask people who don't like it then they'll say no.

Overall though, you can pick it up so cheaply now it's worth it just to satisfy your curiosity. So yes, buy it.

Exactly. It is applaudable that they are still releasing updates for the game, but the ship has pretty much sailed. The sensible solution is to admit the mistakes, start working on the next project and reorganize the studio so that bad reputation won't follow.

Wait what.

Start working on the next project ?

I don't understand how "make another game" is supposed to correct the mistakes of this one. I don't understand the critique of " why are they trying to improve their game 1 year later"

What is the point of being opposed to a free update ? Especially when it adds content

And no the ship has not sailed , the ARG proved that they had a solid base of people intrested in the project

If folks don't have $60 to spend on a new game that might disappoint them, they should definitely:
(a) wait until the full impressions are in - and as we all know it didn't take long for there to be plenty to read about NMS in the days after launch
(e) wait until the game is updated to add more of the features they were hoping for

If not all of the above.

If people aren't doing these basic things to protect their own investments, I find it hard to sympathize.

Yup, I seriously can't relate to any of these people who pre-ordered this game and put down $60 for it at launch. I'm still flabbergasted that so many were okay with going into this game blind without any idea if it was going to be good. The amount of anger over this game was absurd, even with the broken promises by devs. I get it, Hello Games screwed up, but that doesn't make the consumer any less responsible for their own fuck up.

mokeyjoe

Wait what.

Start working on the next project ?

I don't understand how "make another game" is supposed to correct the mistakes of this one. I don't understand the critique of " why are they trying to improve their game 1 year later"

What is the point of being opposed to a free update ? Especially when it adds content

Exactly. Besides, as I understand it was always intended that the game would receive constant updates a la Minecraft.

Did they ever change the flight floor? Flying around in that game felt terrible.

Yes it was lowered. Not all the way though. Might change again this week though. Who knows.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I enjoyed the last two updates, and I'm really interested in any updates to the core of the game and/or gameplay loop.

OuterLimits

Story: I'm extremely excited about this aspect. Especially if it makes going to the center not completely pointless.(except for a trophy on survival difficulty, lol)

Portals: Eh. If they are just traveling to others planets, I'm not seeing anything that excites me. Although perhaps getting portals to activate will involve fun quests.

I imagine the update will include more than these two. The first two updates had a bunch of smaller stuff that improved it.

Although I can already sense the backlash brewing again, since this update was preceded by an elaborate ARG unlike the first two updates which dropped with no prior notice. Plus this is launching exactly one year after the release debacle. The No Man's Sky subreddit is reminding me a bit of the launch days.

The ARG they did was amazing and an incredible ride for someone who followed it from the beginnings in May. While the very finale may have left me wanting a bit more, the experience was a story in its own.

I only hope that the story introduced in it is meaningfully implemented in the game itself.

Also, I'd just like to point out (especially for those who haven't touched the game since launch) that the update will very likely bring more to the table than just the things listed so far. Reason being that the last two updates exceeded expectations content wise and we were all surprised by how much that was when both the update and final patch notes hit.

CryptiK

I wish we could collectively apologize as a gaming community, for being such assholes to these people

I feel sad every time I hear from these folks, because I think about what they've been through and what trivial bullshit it was for
Fuck no. They scammed a fuckload of people into buying their unfinished shit.

Orb

I still regret selling my limited edition for 7$ at Gamestop :/

Needed money for a new 3ds for pokemon lol

Mindlog

What was in the LE? To google I go.

Unrelated: Put $60 down assuming a small indie team can deliver a AAA multiplayer successor to Starflight.
Seems reasonable.

bahahahahaha

��

We need a new Starflight.

Also, automated manufacturing in No Man's Sky.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.

If not all of the above.

So it is the consumers fault....
Can't wait for the update, has the game installed since day one. Hope planet rotation is in the next update

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
In a procedural exploration game like this I could care less about a central narrative. I want to make my own stories, I don't need to read more abandoned building logs. Fix the problems with the gameplay systems, improve the procedural generation and diversity. Narrative flavor is way way down on the list.

I'll reserve judgment until the patch notes, but this is not inspiring confidence.
Yeah, this is similar to my stance too. The additions they've done haven't really addressed the biggest problem I have with the gameplay. Honestly, they were a step back from what I thought (hoped) the game was about (though I respect other people like base building and vehicles).

The big problem for me is the complete lack of any sense of travel, which is really depressing for a game that's a universe of trillions of places. But no matter where you go, there will be sentinels, and one of three aliens. And it's not like territories of space that each alien owns, they're peppered around all willy nilly, and that's actually the source of everything wrong with the game.

I loathe everything about NPCs and wish instead of the updates we got, they'd just scrap all the alien stuff they have and start from scratch. They already have regions of space, make aliens a collection of parts and stats like animals (something they already do to lesser extent, look at the extreme difference between individual geks, or vykeens), tie them to groups of regions instead of individual systems, leave large areas without alien activity, and bam, a less stupid universe (I'd even forgive a small building type pool, and all stations looking the same). Then make stats for behavior and have the same "types" say the same things like an interstellar animal crossing(though more complex)... with that expand how you interact with the different races, and seed better building placement. (Also ditch all monoliths, ruins, and language stones... they are all so bad.)

But yeah... while waiting for No Man's Sky, I always wanted an expanded Star Control 2 type game (minus a specific plot). I actually like and enjoy NMS for what it was at release (though I play around the aliens and pretend they don't exist). But they've put it soo much work and effort into the game since launch, I can't help but be disappointed it wasn't for additions that would have made me like it more.. But I'm happy for those who like what was added.

EL CUCO

Expanding narrative? I might actually buy this now. I've been on the fence since last update. Saluteto them for not giving up on the game.

Really really enjoyed for what it was-- even at launch-- and put it down after I got the plat; I was pleased when I saw the base-building and land vehicles but just knew that something like this was on the horizon. Now that it's here I'm hyped to jump back in.

HG has done a great job supporting the game post-launch. *tips hat*

And no the ship has not sailed , the ARG proved that they had a solid base of people intrested in the project

Indeed. I really think people underestimate the size of the No Man's Sky community.
There's a lot of interest and with every update more people come on board.
That's something else people underestimate I think. I think that they sell a reasonable amount of games whenever they release an update.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hoping that the "and more" will be some neat stuff, because I don't particularly care about portals.

Will definately reinstall if this update is awesome.

If not all of the above.

That's all fine. I was just explaining the "somehow." It's not a matter of sympathetic or unsympathetic, just a point of fact -- that's what the beef is.

OuterLimits

Survival and permadeath really enhanced the game in my opinion. Especially after they reset the Universe with more sparse buildings and having to often buy blueprints.

The one major negative with Survival mode is that every "Paradise" planet has aggressive sentinels. You can't walk 10 seconds without those annoying eyebot sentinels attacking you. I would like if you could occasionally find a non hostile paradise planet.

They lied about the contents of their game.

It was a scam. There's no getting around that fact.

'Boring af'...christ

8qMWVrp.jpg

...and another NMS thread goes off the deep end.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm about to start treating No Man's Sky threads like I do David Cage threads and not participate, but I do have to express my excitement for this update. I've loved No Man's Sky since launch, and I sunk hours and hours into it before the first major update, and each one has improved the game in both big and small ways.

The constant shitposting about launch comes off as sad and pathetic, and says more about the shitposters than it does about Hello Games and Sean Murray.

People still dipping into that "broken promises" well, despite it having run dry ages ago.

When I don't like a game or game series, I don't invest in threads about it. I don't like CoD or Gears of War, and you'll never see me in threads about them. I have actual games I'm excited about and enjoy that I'd rather talk about. It just seems weird to me to invest my valuable time and energy ranting about games and franchise I have no interest in. I mean, it's a free country, so people can say what they want, but at some point I imagine you'd have to ask yourself "why."

I'm looking forward to the patch notes. There's always some interesting stuff in them, and Hello Games has been working on this update longer than the two previous ones from what I can gather.

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

Regardless of critical reception, No Man's Sky made bank commercially. Its sold well over a million units, and many of which were at $50, on a relatively low indie budget.

Murray and Hello Games could have easily cut ties and ran off with the bank, but instead they seem to be investing it back in, in effort to repair No Man's Sky and good will. Seems admirable enough.

Plus, I think in time - with a few more updates under its belt, and a cheaper pricepoint - they can totally pull a new audience.

The constant shitposting about launch comes off as sad and pathetic, and says more about the shitposters than it does about Hello Games and Sean Murray.

People still dipping into that "broken promises" well, despite it having run dry ages ago.

Yeah, especially since this update is including portals, one of the biggest "broken promises" these people complain about. Why anyone would hold this much bitterness at this point, well it says more about them than it does about the game or Sean Murray.

I guess "those people" are now mad that they put all that content and updates in as it weakens their point about the game? lol

It's been one year. I played this game so much when it came out before the first content update. Like 150 hours or so.
There are now other games and it's not a new game, so I don't think the update will keep me interested. I checked out the other two updates for a few hours but that was it.
Which sucks, I wish I put that amount of time in the 1.3 version of the game.
That's why I don't touch any early access games etc. no matter how good. NMS was basically early access in disguise (without the bugs and still having the polish of a final release). Maybe I should start a fresh save, maybe that will help with my motivation. But I don't want to lose all the upgrades I've grinded haha

Oh, there's definitely far more than that. You don't do a costly ARG for several months just for an update containing only what's been teased so far.

The email doesn't even mention the 4th race. I think there's going to be a lot more to the story, which I hope plays back into the gameplay.

Personally I'm hoping for some kind of quest system that has both story, and procgen sidequests. The earlier updates had the framework in place but it was reserved for the base quests.

I'm hoping they use quick travel to its benefit by creating some unique events/puzzles on planets that they can curate, and we'll need to use the portals to warp to a specific coordinate to experience. Kind of like the Atlas stations, but on a much larger scale.

G-Bus

Banned
Well shit. This sounds awesome. Can't wait to jump back in for this.

Nice to see the portals finally turned on as well.

I plan on buying this soon when it drops. Was going to during the last update but I'll definitely get it now.

It's 60% off on sale on humble bundle and PSN, which should last til the end of the week. It might go on sale on Steam when the update lands, but if not remember to get the discount.

Top Bottom