• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
murray2e0up8.gif
LOL

That's totally fair, maybe I misunderstood.

I guess it's different from what I was thinking about - which is people who tend to just turn their back on and dismiss games that they have already gotten many hours of enjoyment out of. Happened with The Division, for example - I know people that played for over 100 hours before burning out all the content in the "endgame" and then once they've seen all there is to see, they just act like the game is some boring or half-finished junk that they'd never recommend.

I was one of those people but that's because the implication (one they themselves set) was that after getting through the grind (Which the game kind of was) would yield a great end game experience like other MMO's have set as precedent. So that's not really a good comparison to make. It would be like if they alluded at the center of the universe there was an intergalactic war with an allegiance system, huge scale battles and unique loot only attainable there etc. (they absolutely didn't) but that would be the equivalent.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Still no reviews? I mean I'm probably still gonna get the game regardless, it looked fucking great on JackSepticEye's let's play, but still would be nice to see some opinions from critics.

Jira

Still no reviews? I mean I'm probably still gonna get the game regardless, it looked fucking great on JackSepticEye's let's play, but still would be nice to see some opinions from critics.

The game just released today. There were no reviews prior to the day 1 patch. You won't see any for a few days.

RidHood

Neo Member
This is pathetic.

This whole thing is pathetic.

Play the game for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Fucking hell.

I had the time of my life last night. Six fucking hours. SIX. I'm 34 years old with a ten month old child. I don't game for six hours anymore.

Some people just seem to hit some sort of major malfunction when it comes to this game.

Amen to that. It is sickening to read things like "preoder cancelled".. I mean, do these people go in front of movie theaters to brag about the fact that they didn't go watch Suicide Squad because of a review they saw on Rotten Tomatoes?

I don't know what's up with people with this game, but it truly shows the problem between what developers can do based on their vision, and the limitless expectations of gamers that only understand what they dream of once they have watched a single trailer.

I'm 31 with a 4 month old child, and I'm having the time of my life as well ;) (not so much for my very bad english)

Ponn

Banned
Amen to that. It is sickening to read things like "preoder cancelled".. I mean, do these people go in front of movie theaters to brag about the fact that they didn't go watch Suicide Squad because of a review they saw on Rotten Tomatoes?

I don't know what's up with people with this game, but it truly shows the problem between what developers can do based on their vision, and the limitless expectations of gamers that only understand what they dream of once they have watched a single trailer.

I'm 31 with a 4 month old child, and I'm having the time of my life as well ;) (not so much for my very bad english)

My big question with this game is something that could never really be answered by reviews. It's where people who were hyped for the game and loving it stand in 2 weeks to a month.

For those who are enjoying NMS, have you played a survival game(s) previously?

I've played Ark and Minecraft. I enjoy NMS immensely, but I've wanted a game like this since I was eight years old. It scratches that sense of wonder, exploration, and discovery of space I have craved. I'm learning alien languages, discovering new lifeforms, and piecing together galactic lore.

I couldn't be happier.

Jobbs

Banned
About to try NMS some more. It's getting one more chance. Last night I was utterly bored to tears with it after a couple hours. I don't understand what it is about the game that's supposed to be impressive. It's got procedurally generated worlds that are functionally the same and nothing is actually fun to do.

Also you'd think they'd realize people being in the same place at the same time was going to happen at some point :p

Some impressions from Ian Bogost

h0byVNJ.png

Such smug condescension.

There IS no "Disneyland". The journey is the whole point. Enabling yourself to take that journey and being able to survive it is part of the fun. You're either aware of that and you gel with it, or you don't.

I look at the opening of the game more as "Here you go, here's the universe. Give yourself the ability to explore it."

This dude, whoever he is, jumped right into the game rubbing his hands saying "Okay, instant gratification time!!! Game, GIVE ME WHAT I HAD IN MIND!!!"

Pfft.

george_us

Think I'm with Jim on this one. 3 hours in and it's already starting to feel repetitive. I typically love exploration but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of real payoff to it in this game. It doesn't help that movement and combat are absolutely terrible.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Think I'm with Jim on this one. 3 hours in and it's already starting to feel repetitive. I typically love exploration but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of real payoff to it in this game. It doesn't help that movement and combat are absolutely terrible.

Procedural generation!

Cake Boss

Banned

😞

Such smug condescension.

There IS no "Disneyland". The journey is the whole point. Enabling yourself to take that journey and being able to survive it is part of the fun. You're either aware of that and you gel with it, or you don't.

I look at the opening of the game more as "Here you go, here's the universe. Give yourself the ability to explore it."

This dude, whoever he is, jumped right into the game rubbing his hands saying "Okay, instant gratification time!!! Game, GIVE ME WHAT I HAD IN MIND!!!"

Pfft.

I honestly can't tell if the bolded is in response to those tweets or a description of the post you were about to make.

ViolentP

I honestly can't tell if the bolded is in response to those tweets or a description of the post you were about to make.
No doubt.

My big question with this game is something that could never really be answered by reviews. It's where people who were hyped for the game and loving it stand in 2 weeks to a month.

I'd like to see what those that had no preconceived notions think a month from now. The hype train will be fed till its dying days.

That's for me to know.

It's okay to not enjoy the game. Are you not enjoying it? Because people who don't enjoy it can move on to something they do enjoy, rather than pointing their raging hard-ons at the flaws they see, ready to champion them like they make their opinions on the game more valid than the next person's.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The game just released today. There were no reviews prior to the day 1 patch. You won't see any for a few days.

Yes I know, but I'm sure some critics were playing the game pre-patch. I'm just surprised that not even one review has come out yet outside of the one in the OP. I mean I'd even take Biogamer Girl at this point.

I don't think Jim disliked the game, it feels more like he thinks it's just "ok" and extremely over-hyped.

That's for me to know.

It's okay to not enjoy the game. Are you not enjoying it? Because people who don't enjoy it can move on to something they do enjoy, rather than pointing their raging hard-ons at the flaws they see, ready to champion them like they make their opinions on the game more valid than the next person's.

OK. Several things. Firstly, I haven't played it yet. Wouldn't mind trying, but my gut reaction to any of the footage I've seen is that this probably isn't going to be my cup of tea. I completely understand the appeal, but it doesn't really feel like something aimed at me. I have no ill will towards it however, and am open to being completely won over. I'm interested in reading impressions both positive and negative.

Secondly, while I understand that sometimes negative voices can be obnoxious, I want to make it clear that threads about a game -- be they the official thread or the reviews thread or anything else -- are not designed to be hype safe havens where fans congregate in peace and the so-called haters shake their fists in vain from outside the door. Provided that you are participating in good faith, all opinions are welcome. We don't operate under the pretense of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Finally, the whole reason I replied at all had absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of No Man's Sky and everything to do with your post completely lacking in self awareness. If you're going to call out what you perceive to be smug condescension, don't you think your rebuttal would read better if it aimed at displaying some level of humility? And by that I just mean perhaps omitting phrases like "This dude, whoever he is" and then presuming that the only explanation for the author's poor opinion is ignorance and impatience. To be clear, my aim wasn't to agree with or defend those tweets at all but to call your response tone deaf.

OK. Several things. Firstly, I haven't played it yet. Wouldn't mind trying, but my gut reaction to any of the footage I've seen is that this probably isn't going to be my cup of tea. I completely understand the appeal, but it doesn't really feel like something aimed at me. I have no ill will towards it however, and am open to being completely won over. I'm interested in reading impressions both positive and negative.
Just wanted to quote this because it felt like just a genuine thing to say as a gamer. No overhype and at the same time not trashing it either

Gaz_RB

This game needs a more punishing mode like permadeath or it needs to go back to the life pod idea they originally had. (You die and go back to a life pod on the nearest planet with nothing but the clothes on your back. The game was at its best for me when I was marooned on a planet.

The game also desperately needs to tighten up the controls. Coming from pretty much any modern FPS to this game is like trying to aim while your arms are paralyzed.

There also needs to be more variety in the gameplay loop. More bad things need to happen to me so I actually am struggling to survive. Once you know what shit looks like (it looks the same on every planet) survival is a joke and you're just going through the motions on the way to the center. Maybe the game gets fun then.

Lastly, the game needs to let me fly my damn ship. If I wanna smash into a mountain let me. If I want to fly I between and under these cool rock formations let me. This is like baby's first flight simulator.

dumb question.

if there is 18 quintillion planets (18 * 10^18), and 1 million players, isn't there an infinitesimal chance that any player will actually visit a planet that has been named by another person? and yet its already happened.

What does the probability math say about the chances?

Vena

dumb question.

if there is 18 quintillion planets (18 * 10^18), and 1 million players, isn't there an infinitesimal chance that any player will actually visit a planet that has been named by another person? and yet its already happened.

It says that the 18 quintillion planets are not equally seeded for spawn probability, in fact almost all of them are not and will have an absolute zero-probability of spawning. It is very likely that only the outer most rim of the "universe sphere" is seeded for spawn, and of those only a select-% are actually seeded for "safe spawning" for players to be certain that players do not spawn on dead, deadly, or trapping planets with no way off. And then of those planets, the seeding probably entirely random on who spawns where.

Depending on the size of the sphere, the amount of planets located on the very outer rim where everyone is seemingly being spawned, are actually a very small amount relative to the 18 quintillion, and spheres have the smallest SA:V ratio (3/r).

ok, but .. that implies a "spawn friendly" planet must be surrounded by totally inhospitable places. Not just like 5 to 1 but 1000s to 1.
But it seems every spawn planet is surrounded by not-too-awful systems?

Vena

ok, but .. that implies a "spawn friendly" planet must be surrounded by totally inhospitable places. Not just like 5 to 1 but 1000s to 1.
But it seems every spawn planet is surrounded by not-too-awful systems?

True indeed, but we don't know the real geometry nor do we know the actual population bias that has been applied. For all we know, all players spawn in a singular cone of the galaxy even if it were a sphere and the whole region is non-uniformly biased towards "friendly systems". This would basically be a cheat, though. A very artificial distribution but perhaps a necessary one if it was proving impossible to generate a suitable algorithm to populate the entire surface area of the galaxy-sphere "smartly".

Jobbs

Banned
No Man's Lie. ;)

I understand features can change during development, but on something so major feature-wise you should be more careful with your words.

I had previously imagined an experience where the universe is vast but on rare occasions you might run into another person -- It was an exciting thought, and I had that thought because they said that's what the game was.

XNarte

Played about 6 hours so far and I can't even bring myself to leave my starting planet just because I keep finding things that keep me there. Learned a few alien words, found a monolith that had a riddle that raised my favor with an alien race, and just activated a beacon that says there is a major life form reading about 20 mins away, so probably an npc I'm guessing. I'm having a blast so far.

I'm surprised that I'm not seeing anybody compare this to Animal Crossing because the same kind of vibe as that is very much how I am experiencing this game. It's very laid-back I'm going in at my own pace and instead of catching bugs, gathering fruit, chopping down trees and the like, I am mining for resources, scanning and uploading new flora and fauna for money, repairing and Building Things, keeping my survival skills in check, and discovering new things over each Horizon.

If someone were to watch a video of Animal Crossing it might look kind of boring and repetitive, but the way I've experienced this game so far is pretty much the realization of what I thought I would be getting ever since I saw the very first reveal trailer years ago, so I am very happy with the end product.

pj

Banned
dumb question.

From what the early streamers said, the "universe" is a series of unconnected galaxies, and every player starts out in the same galaxy.

Each galaxy would have a small fraction of that 18 quintillion so the odds aren't quite so astronomical, especially toward the center of the first galaxy.

I can agree with the beginning being extremely slow and pretty boring. Mostly since the walk and run seed are incredibly slow compared to how far the needed materials were. Now like five or so solar systems into the game it is growing on me. Usually just hop into one or two planets in a system for about half an hour to quickly see what it offers, and then move onto the next system. Also, knowing about the boost jumping trick really saves time and makes on foot exploration bearable.

Secondly, while I understand that sometimes negative voices can be obnoxious, I want to make it clear that threads about a game -- be they the official thread or the reviews thread or anything else -- are not designed to be hype safe havens where fans congregate in peace and the so-called haters shake their fists in vain from outside the door. Provided that you are participating in good faith, all opinions are welcome. We don't operate under the pretense of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Finally, the whole reason I replied at all had absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of No Man's Sky and everything to do with your post completely lacking in self awareness. If you're going to call out what you perceive to be smug condescension, don't you think your rebuttal would read better if it aimed at displaying some level of humility? And by that I just mean perhaps omitting phrases like "This dude, whoever he is" and then presuming that the only explanation for the author's poor opinion is ignorance and impatience. To be clear, my aim wasn't to agree with or defend those tweets at all but to call your response tone deaf.

All very fair points.

I'm not looking for a "safe haven of hype", to be clear. I'm looking for fair and balanced opinions and they generally only land on one extreme or the other. I had an amazing time with the game last night, but of course it has some serious issues. Namely, some performance issues on certain planets that are too "busy", in terms of landscaping.

That guy whose Twitter feed I quoted chose to word his opinion in such a way that sounded deeply condescending and dismissive, agree? I feel as though his vision of the game is exceedingly narrow.

My own condescending post was also lacking a certain tact, but I admit I really don't know who he is. Therefore, maybe I should care less and not have wasted the post.

mokeyjoe

For those who are enjoying NMS, have you played a survival game(s) previously?

Well I played some Minecraft. It never really grabbed me.

NMS is much more my type of game. I'm only 4 hours in but I'm blown away so far. I think I was smiling the whole time I was playing it. Most interesting game I've played in years.

It's shaping up to be this generation's Red Dead Redemption for me, the kind of game I always hope somebody would make but never thought they would.

luchadork

i am absolutely loving it. put in about 6 hours so far.

just exploring, learning words, crafting stuff. it is what it is. i can appreciate it not being for everyone though. and the criticism it is receiving, while subjective, is fair. if you like minecraft, exploring, space, its worth a try. if you want something more structured and defined, i'd be hesitant to recommend it, especially at its current price.

i really fucking hope that they continue to support it and add features. i think passing that responsibility off to the community via mod support would be the way to go. but i imagine that might be a pipe dream at this stage.

mjp2417

Banned
That's for me to know.

He's a critic/academic. That's kinda his job.

Hydrargyrus

I really don't know (because I haven't played it yet) if the game's failures are a bad design or its failure is that it doesn't fulfill the people's expectations.

Maybe this game would have been received better without any hype or expectation.

Mattenth

7 hours in.

This is a niche game. If it's your thing, you are going to fucking love it. If it's not, you're going to be left wondering "how do people like this game?"

I'm not a fan because it feels pretty repetitive: gather materials, get an upgrade, repeat until you can "progress." But if you enjoy the exploration or survival elements, I think you'll probably love it.

For me, though, that "thrill of discovery" just isn't there :-/ Reading over all the impressions, I think this could be the line that divides the scores. Some critics feel it, others don't. I'm on the "don't" side.

I really don't know (because I haven't played it yet) if the game's failures are a bad design or its failure is that it doesn't fulfill the people's expectations.

Maybe this game would have been received better without any hype or expectation.

I think expectations play a big part of it. I hadn't read or seen anything since the original reveal trailer and it's delivering exactly what I wanted - a massive space and planet exploration game.

I think the big marketing probably helped the game reach a wider audience, but probably also made it impossible to meet the expectations of players but, genuinely, I find the whole experience very relaxing.

Cyrano

7 hours in.

This is a niche game. If it's your thing, you are going to fucking love it. If it's not, you're going to be left wondering "how do people like this game?"

I'm not a fan because it feels pretty repetitive: gather materials, get an upgrade, repeat until you can "progress." But if you enjoy the exploration or survival elements, I think you'll probably love it.

For me, though, that "thrill of discovery" just isn't there :-/ Reading over all the impressions, I think this could be the line that divides the scores. Some critics feel it, others don't. I'm on the "don't" side.
Wait, it's a survival game? When did that happen? I thought this was a game about just exploring forever. Feel like I'm going to be disappointed if the element of discovery was removed in favor of the element of putting uninteresting things together. That seems... very MMO-y.

Hydrargyrus

I think expectations play a big part of it. I hadn't read or seen anything since the original reveal trailer and it's delivering exactly what I wanted - a massive space and planet exploration game.

I think the big marketing probably helped the game reach a wider audience, but probably also made it impossible to meet the expectations of players but, genuinely, I find the whole experience very relaxing.

Yeah, because this is what I've been seeing since the beginning. Only travel and explore.

It seems to be a boring game for most of the people since the first presentation and a game for those who like exploring calmly.
Not a game for animal hunting / player meetings / story-driven experience. Only exploration.

I think that the biggest mistake here is the huge marketing campaign to promote this game as something that it is not only because it's fucking eye catching.
It's not going to fulfill ALL the expectations and this is going to punish it.

beneta

Neo Member
Wait, it's a survival game? When did that happen? I thought this was a game about just exploring forever. Feel like I'm going to be disappointed if the element of discovery was removed in favor of the element of putting uninteresting things together. That seems... very MMO-y.
The survival elements are there but not enough to make it a good survival game and just enough to make it a tedious chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom