• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

If it's not in the game HG should just say so. I don't have any faith in these devs but I trust they'd at least have the decency not to release an early access game as a $60 retail product.
How is it early access? I don't like the lack of communication about this issue, but the game is feature complete. Don't exaggerate the situation.

Brashnir

The developer has been way too vague with the information they have given with this game. In all the press material I've seen its been infected that you exist in the same universe but since it's so vast it's unlikely you will run into someone and if you do, you won't know if it's a bot or a real person since you can't chat. And now it's come out that even if you are on the same planet standing in the same spot you won't see the other player.

They knew this from the beginning but refused to just come out and say it's impossible to see another player.

Yeah, I'm not rewarding them for this with a day one sale. I'll wait till black Friday.

It's a lot better marketing strategy to be vague than to tell people, "you collect shit to craft shit to collect better shit to craft better shit, to collect better shit to craft better shit - also also there's a lot of planets."

jwk94

I don't see why comparing it to Journey is a lie, there's no guarantee that you're going to run into your friend there either, even if you're in the same place.

Part of the purpose of Journey is to go on that journey with other people. Even years after its release, on the PS3 version you can do this with other people, just not your friends. Even the credits devote a moment to showing you who you encountered. No Mans' Sky is nothing like Journey in the slightest bit.

Wok

http://i.imgur.com/raEvTx2.jpg

But they can't see each other.

I am confident instances are local anyway.

From what I read, I get that when you arrive on a planet, the game creates locally an instance of that planet. I imagine there is no other option because of the scale of the universe.

To get multiplayer to work, the game would have to create a shared instance that would sync local positions of all players present in that instance with frequent ticks. I cannot imagine this to be an impossible task, yet I am totally expecting it to not be present at launch, because it is additional work. It could totally be a DLC: it does not sound too hard to do, but ideally would require some dedicated servers.

Plus regarding people meeting on day 1:

It could just be that the devs do not know about uniformly sampling points on a sphere. Many people would start at the poles of the sphere, if done wrong.

SphericalDistribution_900.gif

Plus, when you start the game, I imagine everyone is at the same distance from the center of the Universe, so every players initially lie on a sphere. How many planets are on the sphere? Not 18 quintillion, this is for sure.

Doomshine

Part of the purpose of Journey is to go on that journey with other people. Even years after its release, on the PS3 version you can do this with other people, just not your friends. Even the credits devote a moment to showing you who you encountered. No Mans' Sky is nothing like Journey in the slightest bit.

He's talking about how the multiplayer works, of course No Man's Sky is nothing like Journey as a game.

It's a lot better marketing strategy to be vague than to tell people, "you collect shit to craft shit to collect better shit to craft better shit, to collect better shit to craft better shit - also also there's a lot of planets."

Yeah, well I don't like being intentionally misled. They just lost a sale.

Kadin

Plus, when you start the game, I imagine everyone is at the same distance from the center of the Universe, so every players initially lie on a sphere. How many planets are on the sphere? Not 18 quintillion, this is for sure.
Good point, I didn't think about that. The fact that everyone starts on the outside working their way in makes sense and yeah it's definitely more likely thinking about it now.

naitosan

Hype deflated for me. Going to wait for Steam sale. $60 is too much for what it is.

I wish they'd explain what game is a bit better, than being too vague. That made us build up something a bit unrealistic hype about it.

RevenWolf

Hype deflated for me. Going to wait for Steam sale. $60 is too much for what it is.

I wish they'd explain what game is a bit better, than being too vague. That made us build up something a bit unrealistic hype about it.

They've literally been showing what the game is from the beginning though? They even went out of their way to lower hype levels because they saw people running wild with it.

yophlow

Banned
It's like saying Binding of Isaac has 500 items when in reality it only has 499, and then getting all bent out of shape and pissy about it. If your entire reason for playing the game was seeing another person in this game, and not being able to do that ruined any hope of fun in the game, well jesus christ, I don't know what to tell you, man.

You know what pisses me off? Dead Space 3 saying it has co-op multiplayer and then realizing that I cannot play it on the couch with my wife. Now that is something to really be disappointed about.
(Hell any games which say they have co-op multiplayer, but don't specifically say it's online-only, such bullshit)

Comparing online multiplayer to 1 item in a game with 500 items is nonsense. The game has been billed as all about the magic of discovery and exploration. They literally mentioned how unbelievably rare it would be to find another player (clearly implying you can). In interviews when asked if you could run into other players in the game, Sean Murray said "Yes." He was on The Colbert Report and asked about this very feature. Colbert didn't ask "Hey, so the game has 500 items, tell me specifically about the iron ore you can collect."

Then when two players do it, they are ready to experience a first-ever event in a game designed for discovery in a massive galaxy. Excitement would be through the roof.

Aaaaaaand it doesn't work. And it's not in the game. You seriously equate that on the same level as missing 1 item in another game?

tayls129

Man, if this game would have released as the $20 neat experiment Hello probably intended it to be, there would be no debate. It's presenting it as the $60 AAA release that will be its downfall.

BokehKing

Banned
Fuck it....I wanted to wait for reviews but that's taking forever and I just impulsed purchased it

Ready in 2 minutes

I wanted to wait until it was at least $20 cheaper but I'm a dumb ass, I have faith they will continue to put out massive patches that will change the game.

HeelPower

Man, if this game would have released as the $20 neat experiment Hello probably intended it to be, there would be no debate. It's presenting it as the $60 AAA release that will be its downfall.

That's sony's problem.

They certainly pumped AAA marketing money into this.

Lemondish

Or spoiling literally everything in a game built for discovery.

Inviusx

So wait, if you can pause the game completely doesnt that instantly put a bullet through the multiplayer concept?

Everything would be out of sync including NPCs, wild life, day night cycle, weather....

How is that not a clear indication that traditional multiplayer does not exist in this game?

finalflame

So wait, if you can pause the game completely doesnt that instantly put a bullet through the multiplayer concept?

Everything would be out of sync including NPCs, wild life, day night cycle, weather....

How is that not a clear indication that traditional multiplayer does not exist in this game?

It's abundantly clear this game has no traditional multiplayer, just the naming/discovery stuff and maybe, MAYBE planet state.

OCD Guy

I'm reading a lot of negative impressions, and a lot of concern that the novelty of the game will wear thin pretty quickly.

On top of that looking at gameplay videos doesn't really scream "Hey this looks like fun"

Yet I still want to buy it. Anyone else??

BouncyFrag

I'm reading a lot of negative impressions, and a lot of concern that the novelty of the game will wear thin pretty quickly.

On top of that looking at gameplay videos doesn't really scream "Hey this looks like fun"

Check out the photo thread. I'm enjoying the hell out of the game.

Nokterian

Go to OT instead not here..

RevenWolf

So far the only negative impression I've seen is by sterling.

Which was fair enough as he's not a fan of survival games.

Every impression posted on the front page (each around 7 hours in) have said they are loving the game and that it actually delivers what the developers promised.

Wil348

Yeah, read it this morning. It's...not glowing.

I really expected that to be honest. (I'm not knocking the reviewer or anything, I'm saying from my own personal experience with the game that I could see them not liking it.)

Semi-related, any reason it's absent from the OP?

After looking at most of the reviews, it’s what I was expecting. As usual, people tend to overhype games and are disappointed by the final product. Personally, this is the type of game I’ve been waiting for. I love exploration, discover, and crafting. I don’t mind repetitive tasks; I’ve done plenty of them in Elite Dangerous, survival games, and MMOs. This is a pretty niche game, so it’s weird to see a game like this get so much hype. I’m still excited for the PC release on Friday, I can’t wait to play it.

naitosan

They've literally been showing what the game is from the beginning though? They even went out of their way to lower hype levels because they saw people running wild with it.

Sure, I've seen couple of videos like Sean mentioning about multiplayer aspect but he was pretty weird about it. You gotta admit their marketing is rather messy pre launch so that didn't help.

I'm STILL getting it on PC but not for $60.

I really expected that to be honest. (I'm not knocking the reviewer or anything, I'm saying from my own personal experience with the game that I could see them not liking it.)

Semi-related, any reason it's absent from the OP?
It's the same as most of the reviews. They pointing out how a lot of the systems and mechanics of the moment to moment gameplay are frustrating and or so basic as to not feel rewarding, while still wanting to boot the game up again. Which seems to be in line with what I was expecting (though I was hoping for more).

For the OP, from IGN:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/08/09/no-mans-sky-review

"Since it was first announced in 2013, the biggest question about No Man’s Sky has been “It looks amazing, but what do you actually do?” The answer, based off my single day of playing the zero-day patched version on PlayStation 4, appears to be “About 100 different simple things.”

"The cycle goes something like this: You jump in your modest spaceship and follow waypoints from point A to point B, which may be a matter of cruising over the alien landscape for a few minutes until you reach a structure or mysterious artifact you’re pointed toward, or blasting out of the atmosphere and into space and flying to a neighboring planet to find... a very similar structure or mysterious artifact."

"I know much of what I’ve said sounds middling or even negative, which is not an unfair assessment of my first day playing No Man’s Sky. But in a lot of ways that’s to be expected of a game that’s shooting for such a big experience - it might just take some time to find my footing in this great big universe. To its credit, I feel it pulling me back in to do more exploring and unlocking new technologies."

Gusto

I like the dev, I enjoyed Joe Danger 1 and 2 and I'm down for exploration. I picked it up at Best Buy with my Gamer Coupon discount.

Karak

I played it for 20 straight hours for the donation drive and just got done. Lots to think about but one thing, at least for me, even after that long I am not 100% what I would score it or if even many of the gameplay loops would be mature enough to really quantify it with that many hours.

What HG intend for this game:
- To be continuously supported/updated/iterated for a long, long time
- Little to no intention of recharging for updates/new content

You achieve the above by selling it expensive upfront, so that future DLC/update cost is considered into the long-tail support of the game.

KaoteK

I think some people will be very negative about it, it's not a game for the instant gratification crowd and they'll rail against it because "there's nothing to do".

I'm like a pig in shit however, couldn't be happier :)

KORNdoggy

Its sold out in some places here in the UK and is sitting pretty at most retailers top sellers/pre-order lists. Its price won't be it's downfall by any stretch of the imagination.

And yet they have been saying all this time that seeing another player would be pretty much impossible and that it is intended to be a single player experience with sharing features. Not once did they ever tout some big multiplayer experience with demos of people meeting.

murray2e0up8.gif

Preorder cancelled. I think it will be a winter sale game for me if they've added some kind of multiplayer.

This is pathetic.

This whole thing is pathetic.

Play the game for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Fucking hell.

I had the time of my life last night. Six fucking hours. SIX. I'm 34 years old with a ten month old child. I don't game for six hours anymore.

Some people just seem to hit some sort of major malfunction when it comes to this game.

Aaron D.

I played it for 20 straight hours for the donation drive and just got done. Lots to think about but one thing, at least for me, even after that long I am not 100% what I would score it or if even many of the gameplay loops would be mature enough to really quantify it with that many hours.

This is a fantastically cryptic and totally respectable sentiment.

I'd love to hear your takeaway after you've slept on it.

The Argus

The limited edition is of incredible quality. Everything looks and feels great. The box that stores everything looks even better then the metal case. Don't usually spring for collectors or limited editions but I'm glad I did this time. Thanks Amazon Prime.

Kacho

Wow! Please give us some detailed impressions tomorrow. I'm dying to hear what you have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom