• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmackem

This should never have been a $60 game... if it was $30 or $40, it would be getting almost no heat for current events.

But it also means people would not be talking about it as much. And Sony didn't want that.

Yes, I'm saying Sony. I'm convinced that it was they who:

- went all in once they saw reception after reveal
- pushed for them to $60 price to make it more desirable and "not just another indy game"
- is likely even to blame for their indirect answer about multiplayer because it would cause day 1 sales damage
- they (not sony) will some day come clean about all of this 2-3 years from now
Based off what? Sony seems to give devs more leeway than any of the big three. This isn't a Sony game to start with they don't own it so I doubt hello games would be taking any orders from Sony.

Putty

FWIW I had zero interest in this.....totally zero....but as early adopters on GAF started giving impressions I began to wonder.....then "the patch" landed and positive impressions exploded further .....I bit...land after ....5..6 hours....I'm very pleased I did...not a great deal I don't like TBH...I'm either easily pleased or issues other people have simply don't compute with me...

I would say after a good few hours playing that it's barely about 'exploration' at all - the inventory management is actually quite punishing (read : tedious) and you'll spend much of your time mining resources, being attacked by flying robots and then hiding until they go away, rinse repeat.

I've had a few upgrades to make things smoother, but the inventory thing is really souring me on the experience, after an excellent first impression. The atmosphere is really great but every few seconds something is failing/needs recharging/deteriorating and you're off to find the next materials. IMO it's all rather joyless and clinical for something about the wonders of space exploration when I keep banging up against that wall but I'm hoping it opens up a bit more soon, or at the very least lets me collect a reasonable amount of materials before screaming 'INVENTORY FULL!' at me.

I completely disagree with the Animal Crossing comparison earlier - this is like Animal Crossing if that had you dying of starvation every few minutes.

Oh, and having your ship's engine/booster/shield which are ALL required items take up an inventory space each is completely absurd.

Oh yeah, I'm agreeing with all this. I want to explore, but the inventory management is pissing me off already, and I'm only an hour in. I wanted a more chilled experience where I could just collect everything, and not worry about dying/repairing etc.

watdaeff4

Sony is not Publishing, not even on PS4, so basically your assessment makes no sense.

I don't know if it's the case or not of Sony telling Hello games what do to, but just for clarification regarding Sony's involvement why do I see a "Sony Computer Entertainment presents" when firing the game up?? They are invested (and not just emotionally) in this game.

(Or am i imagining what I see at the start? Going to double check tomorrow)

Also didn't Sean say despite them publishing Sony kept hands-off?

Problem is they dont give you the tools to build your own fun. It's a sandbox without the bucket and spade.

A lot of people say the exact same thing about Elite : Dangerous ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When they will include base-building and, maybe, "funding galactic civilization" it will resolve the current situation.

"You just don't like this kind of game" is quickly becoming the most annoying and transparent methods of deflecting criticism and debate about this game. You can disagree with people's criticisms without negating them.

amnesiac

Does anybody know if there's any site out there which has revealed what happens when you get to the centre? I don't think I'm going to buy the game, so I'd like to know.
I don't think any site has, but some users have.
You get transported to a new galaxy.

"You just don't like this kind of game" is quickly becoming the most annoying and transparent methods of deflecting criticism and debate about this game. You can disagree with people's criticisms without negating them.

Your posts in this thread are spot on.
Though I'll say that particular deflection appears in pretty much every review thread.

"Well it's not for you" is always appearing as a comment to stifle criticism of a game.

Widge

I'm going to be positive here. I think the game is OK now but it very well could become stellar (ha) with support.

The main issue, I feel, with expectation was that very first video they showed. Really struck a chord with the jaded gamer.

You're on a planet, it looks amazing, there's loads of crazy creatures, then you get into your ship, and you're flying into orbit and there is a battle kicking off, before long you're diving into the atmosphere of another rocky planet. Stunning! The excitement! Doesn't really demonstrate a game where you're going to be wandering around finding stuff to patch up your ship. It looked incredibly instantaneous... bam, bam, bam.

That is what sold people and since that point, few have been able to correlate that intro against the details that followed. Hence "what do you do?" Plenty of demonstration of environment, survival but people have been grasping for an additional layer that didn't exist.

From what we can gather regarding NMS, Sony is the publisher of the PS4 SKU, but not in a first party style funding capacity, but closer to that of the publisher relationship of WB and Witcher 3, where WB is promoting and distributing, but we're not involved whatsoever in the funding of the game.

We can assume Sony fronted financials support for :
- console exclusivity money hat
- marketing (ads, etc)
- distribution (retail, etc)

But they are not bearing the financial risk of the game's creation. Sean Murray had said to VICE that the studio is in debt creating this game.

kmag

Having the same problems with this as I had with Elite:Dangerous. It's a wide but really shallow experience. It's picking up a type of crushing monotony of action the further I get into it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Once you finish the game, you get to
start again and keep your stuff
so you explore faster.

So the game gets good after what? 30 hours? And I think now about all the people who blamed the early leaker for "rushing to the centre".

Ulysses 31

Does anybody know if there's any site out there which has revealed what happens when you get to the centre? I don't think I'm going to buy the game, so I'd like to know.

Edit: found it

http://www.gamesradar.com/no-mans-sky-ending-spoilers-center-of-galaxy/

All I will say is.. Oh

giphy.gif

Cyrano

Edit: found it

http://www.gamesradar.com/no-mans-sky-ending-spoilers-center-of-galaxy/

All I will say is.. Oh
I wish I was surprised but... not surprised. For people who like inventory managers, I guess it's great. Ironically enough, it seems like most space sims use this kind of gameplay loop on some level, which strikes me as really odd. EVE Online, Elite: Dangerous, etc.

Most space shows seem to be past this (Star Trek) or deeply embedded in it (Star Wars). Though pretty much all, except the horror ones, seem to be about the moral dilemmas of people, on a much grander scale (universes or planets instead of countries). I guess the latter is sexier and easier to put into a gameplay loop, but it's also pretty repetitive and difficult to make engaging without some kind of straightforward conflict.
Based on ACG's youtube video, 10-15 hours, it gets better. 20 hours in, it shines.
If somebody told me a book or a show only becomes worthwhile after twenty hours, I'd tell them it's probably not worth the investment to get to the point where it's not a slog. There are better things to spend one's time on and they're available now and don't have such a long, drawn-out buildup to being worthwhile.

Dahaka

Do we have performance infos from the devs about the Personal Computer version? I know I could also wait a day but maybe some info got released.

FStop7

Banned
That's kinda up to the player to decide I'd wager.

It's like asking how to beat minecraft.

TBH this is kind of an insult to Minecraft when you consider the crazily elaborate structures and working machines that have been built in that game. NMS does not have a fraction of that depth.

CHC

FWIW I had zero interest in this.....totally zero....but as early adopters on GAF started giving impressions I began to wonder.....then "the patch" landed and positive impressions exploded further .....I bit...land after ....5..6 hours....I'm very pleased I did...not a great deal I don't like TBH...I'm either easily pleased or issues other people have simply don't compute with me...

You write like Celine.

danowat

Banned
TBH this is kind of an insult to Minecraft when you consider the crazily elaborate structures and working machines that have been built in that game. NMS does not have a fraction of that depth.

I think them adding some kind of base building / planet / ship personalisation will go a long way to adding some depth and interest to the game most games of the genre have it.

Space flight & combat also needs a huge overhaul to make it even remotely interesting for anyone who doesn't want pure arcade style combat, also the ships just aren't very diverse, and don't actually feel or operate any differently, and there is a serious lack of weapon types.

At the moment, for me, the carrot of more planets to explore just isn't doing it, they aren't diverse enough, that said, even though I don't actually like the game, I find myself returning to it (albeit only for about an hour at a time), I am probably locked in the skinner box hoping that there is something good just round the corner, although realistically I know that isn't the case.

Bizarre.

That said, if all my $60 has gone to is for the prospect of them fleshing the game out, then I am happy that I haven't wasted $60.

What a disappointment this game is. I'll be saving my $60 for deus ex.

I feel like I'm missing out not buying it but with all these bad impressions I'm sure it'll follow street fighter 5 in price drops before too long.

Surprised that there's still only 2 definitive reviews up on Metacritic, I would have expected more by now.

In any case the game sounds like a big disappointment, so I'll gladly invest my money elsewhere.

Card Boy

Banned
Do we have performance infos from the devs about the Personal Computer version? I know I could also wait a day but maybe some info got released.

Who the heck calls a PC a Personal Computer? I know what PC stands for but i have never heard anyone call it that, like ever.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still enjoying it after playing for around 10 hours or so. I like the feeling of flying to new planets and scanning stuff, mining, trading, and upgrading my new gear, and the general atmosphere of the game. I can see where people are coming from when they say it's missing deeper gameplay mechanics or that hook to make the loop feel less like a grind. It's a fair criticism, but I think there's still plenty else to enjoy.

I always tempered my expectations though, so that may be why I'm not as disappointed as some people are, but I'm also excited about future updates and what Hello Games will add to it.

Surprised that there's still only 2 definitive reviews up on Metacritic, I would have expected more by now.

In any case the game sounds like a big disappointment, so I'll gladly invest my money elsewhere.

Thats because you're in a faux review thread where people are waiting for bad news to drop and hoping it does.

I would go to the OT to see people who have the game giving their impressions.

Nice big ol' spoiler for the ending of the game

Oh hey thanks man cool, I mean it's not like this isn't the spoiler thread or anything.

Good job, 10/10, no need to put your spoiler in the spoiler tag.

You cock.

FStop7

Banned
I think them adding some kind of base building / planet / ship personalisation will go a long way to adding some depth and interest to the game most games of the genre have it.

I am somewhat skeptical about the promised base building. If I build a base and then leave for another planet, how do I find my way back to the base? There's no mapping or coordinates system.

Space flight & combat also needs a huge overhaul to make it even remotely interesting for anyone who doesn't want pure arcade style combat, also the ships just aren't very diverse, and don't actually feel or operate any differently, and there is a serious lack of weapon types.

At the moment, for me, the carrot of more planets to explore just isn't doing it, they aren't diverse enough, that said, even though I don't actually like the game, I find myself returning to it (albeit only for about an hour at a time), I am probably locked in the skinner box hoping that there is something good just round the corner, although realistically I know that isn't the case.

Bizarre.

That said, if all my $60 has gone to is for the prospect of them fleshing the game out, then I am happy that I haven't wasted $60.

This is one of the reasons I bought this game though, I don't want Elite Dangerous or flight sim level flying, I just want to be able to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom