• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

StereoVsn

I don't want to calculate the logic in what he said, just saying exactly what he said. In August of this year he said the quote:

"We do want to add a ton of features, like we’ve just discussed: Freighters, bases, these type of things. But we want to do it for free. You’ve paid for the game, so you should get this stuff without paying even more money. So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches"

What I take that to mean is that there won't be any paid DLC, but the game will continue to be supported for free. It is literally exactly what he said.
Yeah, the DLC point is very clear. So a week later coming out and saying that there will be laid DLCs is a bit too much. He shouldn't have said perhaps that all DLCs would be free in the first place but that's a different question.

Raven77

No one at Hello Games said you could build bases or buy freighters. You had unrealistic expectations for this game.

Please read the comment I quoted closer, he states that the free patches only fix things that are shipped in the game now. We already know for a fact that we're getting base building and freighter purchasing, etc. in a free patch update.

"We are getting free patches to fix what was shipped.

Additional things will probably cost extra."

I don't want to calculate the logic in what he said, just saying exactly what he said. In August of this year he said the quote:

"We do want to add a ton of features, like we’ve just discussed: Freighters, bases, these type of things. But we want to do it for free. You’ve paid for the game, so you should get this stuff without paying even more money. So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches"

What I take that to mean is that there won't be any paid DLC, but the game will continue to be support for free. It is literally exactly what he said.
And it will. Until realistically you can't and you need some more revenue

- So you said there will be free content
- Yes, we'd like to support the game with free patches and updates
- Like forever? Will the game always be supported for free until the end of time?
- Ideally, that's what we'd prefer. But if in the future, our budget doesn't allow for that, we may need to do paid DLC to continue supporting the game. But that's just a possibility. Not a certainty and it depends on our budget.

Is basically what was said here

Loudninja

Please read the comment I quoted closer, he states that the free patches only fix things that are shipped in the game now. We already know for a fact that we're getting base building and freighter purchasing, etc. in a free patch update.

"We are getting free patches to fix what was shipped.

Additional things will probably cost extra."
Where are you reading this from?

flkraven

- Like forever? Will the game always be supported for free until the end of time?
- Ideally, that's what we'd prefer. But if in the future, our budget doesn't allow for that, we may need to do paid DLC to continue supporting the game. But that's just a possibility. Not a certainty and it depends on our budget.

But see, that's the problem. While the bolded bit makes sense, that's not what he said, and now in a short time Sean Murray has built up a track record of making bold claims that are impossible to deliver on or being ultra vague and under delivering.

This isn't 'basically what was said here'. What he literally said is "So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches".

I don't expect a company to go under just to deliver on a promise, but why make such a bold claim a week before release? Someone should reign him in or something. Taken in context with his other recent claims, these are just looking bad.

Is it lying when the SuperHOT kickstarter page has this art style but the devs eventually decide to go with this one?

Or when Klei said Don't Starve wouldn't have multiplayer, and then deciding to implement multiplayer later?

As for NPCs, they said they had been working on NPCs at the time, but weren't sure if that element would make it into the game so didnt want to talk about it yet
I feel this is disingenuous.

Changing an art style isn't removing content.

Adding a feature is not the same as removing a feature (provided it existed in the first place).

-You can run into other players turned into zero MP at all, after the sale.

-Free DLC turned into well only some dlc will be free, after the sale.

Not the same in the slightest to your comparisons.

Hello Games set the expectation before money exchanged hands then changed the rules after they pocketed it.

I think it's fair to pull a Lando and say this deal is getting worse all the time.

The expectation is always set by the developer. The hype by the consumer. Things change but when talking about features you've touted on national television, you'd be hard pressed to look like an angel when they disappear and don't inform people you've been selling your game to.

diaspora

I feel this is disingenuous.

Changing an art style isn't removing content.

Adding a feature is not the same as removing a feature (provided it existed in the first place).

-You can run into other players turned into zero MP at all, after the sale.

-Free DLC turned into well only some dlc will be free, after the sale.

Not the same in the slightest to your comparisons.

Hello Games set the expectation before money exchanged hands then changed the rules after they pocketed it.

I think it's fair to pull a Lando and say this deal is getting worse all the time.

The expectation is always set by the developer. The hype by the consumer. Things change but when talking about features you've touted on national television, you'd be hard pressed to look like an angel when they disappear and don't inform people you've been selling your game to.

That didn't happen though. He never said AFAIK that any content they create would be free DLC. We're not transitioning from what was previously free content will now be paid- only that the scope of content they could release is greater and depending on the budget may cost money.

That didn't happen though. He never said AFAIK that any content they create would be free DLC. We're not transitioning from what was previously free content will now be paid- only that the scope of content they could release is greater and depending on the budget may cost money.
This post exists in a vacuum where the OP didn't quote the developer.

It could very well be he meant only the things he mentioned but immediately after made a blanket statement.

Considering the amount of pie-in-the-sky statements Hello Games has made about the game I don't see a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, I'll reiterate, THEY set the expectation.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sounds to me like there will be free DLC and if people are still playing the game, some paid DLC down the line. The alternative would be some free DLC and then if people are still playing the game, tough shit because they aren't just going to work for free forever. Don't see what t he big deal is here.

Sounds to me like there will be free DLC and if people are still playing the game, some paid DLC down the line. The alternative would be some free DLC and then if people are still playing the game, tough shit because they aren't just going to work for free forever. Don't see what t he big deal is here.
No joke you don't work for free. That's not what is being discussed.

The whole "don't write checks your ass can't cash" is the problem :|

diaspora

This post exists in a vacuum where the OP didn't quote the developer.

It could very well be he meant only the things he mentioned but immediately after made a blanket statement.

Considering the amount of pie-in-the-sky statements Hello Games has made about the game I don't see a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, I'll reiterate, THEY set the expectation.
People deluded themselves into creating expectations for themselves- this idea that they're doing an about-face and choosing to charge for stuff that they said were going to be free is bullshit.

I swear, the amount of people who apparently dont care about NMS yet have apparently seen every interview and can list points off the top of their head for their arguments is fascinating.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
People deluded themselves into creating expectations for themselves- this idea that they're doing an about-face and choosing to charge for stuff that they said were going to be free is bullshit.

People deluded themselves into believing direct quotes from the developer? Those fools.

daman824

They said there would be no DLC you have to pay for a week before launch. Now after their game comes out there "might" be.

flkraven

I swear, the amount of people who apparently dont care about NMS yet have apparently seen every interview and can list points off the top of their head for their arguments is fascinating.

I had a ton of interest in No Man's Sky, but I almost never preorder games without seeing the final product. Just because someone didn't blindly buy into the hype machine doesn't mean they aren't qualified to speak on the matter nor does it mean they haven't seen a ton of interviews.

I've been following this game since day one, and was willing to drop a ton of money to play it. So I've thoroughly researched it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The $60 price point seems even more unreasonable now. If they want to follow the Minecraft model, they should have priced it according to the Minecraft model as well.

Raven77

If you look at the Steam store page, it clearly says "Single-Player" with no mention of multiplayer so that's not true when it comes to multiplayer.

I've come to a realization that people simply want to hate this game and nothing will change their mind. We STILL don't know if you can see other players officially as we don't know if what caused them to not see eachother was possibly a bug, not being in the same instance server, etc. etc. yet everyone just loves ripping apart this small team that made a pretty incredible, if flawed (how many games aren't?) game.

I'm really looking forward to all the free updates and will gladly welcome some paid DLC as well as long as it provides a justifiable value.

Why other companies like Ubisoft can generally get away with debuting amazing graphics only to downgrade the hell out of them before release is something I will never understand. Sure people come on and complain, but I've never seen it at this level before.

I've come to a realization that people simply want to hate this game and nothing will change their mind. We STILL don't know if you can see other players officially as we don't know if what caused them to not see eachother was possibly a bug, not being in the same instance server, etc. etc. yet everyone just loves ripping apart this small team that made a pretty incredible, if flawed (how many games aren't?) game.

I'm really looking forward to all the free updates and will gladly welcome some paid DLC as well as long as it provides a justifiable value.

Why other companies like Ubisoft can generally get away with debuting amazing graphics only to downgrade the hell out of them before release is something I will never understand. Sure people come on and complain, but I've never seen it at this level before.

They don't. Watch Dogs and The Division were torn to shreds.

CSJ

I've come to a realization that people simply want to hate this game and nothing will change their mind.

We STILL don't know if you can see other players officially...

There we have it, we still don't know officially.
To take this long if true, is ridiculous.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Where did he say all that other stuff you added?

You are inferring something because you know better, the creator knows better now that he realizes he can't keep on developing new things that cost money to create without charging for it.

But this is literally what he said:

"So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches"

There is no reading between the lines on that.

Raven77

They don't. Watch Dogs and The Division were torn to shreds.

I wouldn't really say torn to shreds. Like I said, they took lots of shit on here, but what NMS and Sean are going through seems much more widespread and intense.

Also, again, we don't know why the players couldn't see each other. Everyone just jumps to a conclusion that you can't see other players. It hasn't been confirmed if you can or can't and what caused them to not be able to. Bugs, network issues, etc. etc. could have all caused it.

But let's all just keep calling Sean a liar till we hear otherwise.

I had a ton of interest in No Man's Sky, but I almost never preorder games without seeing the final product. Just because someone didn't blindly buy into the hype machine doesn't mean they aren't qualified to speak on the matter nor does it mean they haven't seen a ton of interviews.

I've been following this game since day one, and was willing to drop a ton of money to play it. So I've thoroughly researched it.
Oh of course my comment didn't apply to everyone but I think it's certain it does for some people.

Also I'm really against this idea that buying a game day 1 or pre ordering it means you are 'buying Into the hype' as that clearly has a negative connotation these days. Why can't someone just like the look of a game and know their own tastes and but the game they want? Why does it have to be them falling prey to the mythical hype machine?

MisterR

Yeah, the DLC point is very clear. So a week later coming out and saying that there will be laid DLCs is a bit too much. He shouldn't have said perhaps that all DLCs would be free in the first place but that's a different question.

He doesn't even say there will be paid DLC. When pressed, he told them it could possibly happen in the future, just to cover his bases.

StereoVsn

I wouldn't really say torn to shreds. Like I said, they took lots of shit on here, but what NMS and Sean are going through seems much more widespread and intense.

Also, again, we don't know why the players couldn't see each other. Everyone just jumps to a conclusion that you can't see other players. It hasn't been confirmed if you can or can't and what caused them to not be able to. Bugs, network issues, etc. etc. could have all caused it.

There is no MP code. A gaffer took apart PC code and others have done packet captures. There is no MP at all. Look, defend this shit if you want but the dev have been caught multiple times basically lying in multiple interviews.

Maybe he just gets too excited and then can't figure this shit out by he has been making false statements right and left about the game. The shit is captured on video and "paper" (well, website interviews) so folks should knock it off with the Hype and false expectations.

Raven77

He doesn't even say there will be paid DLC. When pressed, he told them it could possibly happen in the future, just to cover his bases.

Get out of here with your reading comprehension!!! He said all updates will cost the players lots of money basically cause all he does is lie!

Jokes aside, yes you're exactly right. He basically is covering his ass in case they get some huge ideas on major things to add that would end up costing them a lot of money to develop. Pretty smart thing to say on his part and totally justified.

MisterR

I'd love to know how many of the frequent bashers of this game even own it. I'm guessing the percentage is very low. I'm just going to bow out of these threads going forward. There are people who are determined to hate this game no matter what is said or done and trying to engage them leads nowhere.

Guess we can add overcharging for the base game, and then overcharging for DLC to the growing list of parallels between Destiny and No Man's Sky.

What? The controversy over the Watch Dogs downgrade was so bad that Yves Guillemot had to put out a statement and "changed Ubisoft policy" even though we know it really didn't. Take a look at one of the many downgrade threads from 2014. And the outrage wasn't just confined to Neogaf.

NMS and Sean Murray have taken a lot of shit, but it also comes from them not talking to the community and clarifying their comments. All of this confusion over multiplayer could easily be fixed if they released a statement but they haven't said a word. Packet sniffing has found that no player coordinates are uploaded so unless that is the "bug" that is stopping people from seeing each other, there is no way to see other players.

What I feel needs to bee done is a direct statement from Hello Games, not through an interview, that both directly address past statements, and in unequivocal terms address their road map

Yeah good luck with that.

Have they clarified whether you can see anothett player or not?

Kinyou

It's laughable. No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go In looking for that experience. That's plain as fucking day. I think E92 M3 nailed it about who is doing the constant outrage.

"And as they go, they're upgrading their ship, they're upgrading their weapons, they're upgrading their suit. And they need to do that because they're very vulnerable, they will be attacked by AI, potentially - very rarely - other players, things like that, if they cross paths with them. There's space combat, there's combat on the ground, there's trading if you want to do that, mining resources and stuff, there's exploring if you want to do that.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-22-so-what-do-you-actually-do-in-no-mans-sky

Also pretty clear. It's the contradicting statements that make things vague

flkraven

Oh of course my comment didn't apply to everyone but I think it's certain it does for some people.

Also I'm really against this idea that buying a game day 1 or pre ordering it means you are 'buying Into the hype' as that clearly has a negative connotation these days. Why can't someone just like the look of a game and know their own tastes and but the game they want? Why does it have to be them falling prey to the mythical hype machine?

How is it not though?

I typically preorder Battlefield games because I've played several of them, know exactly what they are, what kind of gameplay they have, etc. I know this product, and I know it's exactly what I like. Preorder.

A game shrouded in mystery, with no history in the genre, never creating anything of this scope, and very few concrete details of included features or what you do. IMO a preorder of this doesn't make any sense.

Raven77

NMS and Sean Murray have taken a lot of shit, but it also comes from them not talking to the community and clarifying their comments. All of this confusion over multiplayer could easily be fixed if they released a statement but they haven't said a word. Packet sniffing has found that no player coordinates are uploaded so unless that is the "bug" that is stopping people from seeing each other, there is no way to see other players.

So because they haven't clarified that makes it justifiable to drag Seans name through the mud, make memes about "No Mans Lie", attack him on Twitter, etc. etc. etc?

It's one thing to yell and bitch about a mostly faceless incredibly huge mega-corporation, it's another to attack a sole person who is part of a 5 person team. Especially a person who MIGHT not even have lied about this. I don't really care what someone found digging through code they didn't write. Until Sean or someone from that team clarifies this, which they eventually will, I will withhold my judgement.

Better to delay my complaints and attacks against his potential lies until we...you know...actually confirm that he did lie. If he did lie, then yes I will be very very pissed about it and not be afraid to show that publicly as it will be inexcusable.

If it turns out that he didn't lie and it was some sort of launch issue or whatever, I'm not sure how the gaming community could ever make it up to him. Maybe they won't feel they have to because of Seans vagueness and lack of a quick reply, either way, unlike a graphics downgrade which you can plainly see, this is not a confirmed lie yet.

Justified

Yeah good luck with that.

Have they clarified whether you can see anothett player or not?

Nope, thats what I mean by past statements

That quote is from January 2015. The one I posted was from right before the game released. I think he made it pretty clear at that point.

And right after the game released he tweeted "Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind" and vague tweets about server strain and their network engineers, vaguely hinting to the issue of them "seeing" each other

Again my stance isnt the different conclusions gamers are coming to about this game.

But the lack of direct clarification from Hello Games, the conversation about this game is at a point were they should be saying something, whatever the case

"So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches"

There is no reading between the lines on that.
Because, as Oni Jazar quoted (his bold):

But when pushed on whether the game will always remain free, Murray couldn't categorically rule out paid for DLC further down the line, explaining that it could happen if "Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it".

Which in my personal reading (where yes, I am giving the dev here some benefit of the doubt) sounds like they have a bunch of updates they want to make that will be free, but they won't promise such levels of support indefinitely (ie. when pushed on whether the game will always remain free) and that major updates could possibly have to be premium DLC as it would be impossible for them to make such updates otherwise.

This makes sense to me because indefinite free updates including major new features makes absolutely no sense without some kind of continuing revenue stream, depending upon the size and scope of that development of course. But they obviously have plenty of free updates planned (base building, frigates, tons of other stuff).

The difference here comes down to an update that never happens (if it takes too many resources to develop) versus the possibility that such an update could maybe be feasible as paid DLC.

I get that people don't want to give Sean the benefit of the doubt here with all the vague and contradictory statements on the game's multiplayer, and I can understand that. But there's also a very reasonable way to interpret his statements on post-release support without attributing malice or deception.

So because they haven't clarified that makes it justifiable to drag Seans name through the mud, make memes about "No Mans Lie", attack him on Twitter, etc. etc. etc?

It's one thing to yell and bitch about a mostly faceless incredibly huge mega-corporation, it's another to attack a sole person who is part of a 5 person team. Especially a person who MIGHT not even have lied about this. I don't really care what someone found digging through code they didn't write. Until Sean or someone from that team clarifies this, which they eventually will, I will withhold my judgement.

Better to delay my complaints and attacks against his potential lies until we...you know...actually confirm that he did lie. If he did lie, then yes I will be very very pissed about it and not be afraid to show that publicly as it will be inexcusable.

If it turns out that he didn't lie and it was some sort of launch issue or whatever, I'm not sure how the gaming community could ever make it up to him. Maybe they won't feel they have to because of Seans vagueness and lack of a quick reply, either way, unlike a graphics downgrade which you can plainly see, this is not a confirmed lie yet.

I never said that and haven't attacked Sean Murray or Hello Games, don't try to make it seem like I endorse that kind of behavior.

Size of the team shouldn't matter when you are selling your product for the same price as those mega corporations and have been on the E3 stage multiple times and even on national television displaying your game. Attacks aren't fine on either, calling out bullshit is, for either a big company or a small team of 15 or so.

And you probably should care about the data mining considering it shows that there is no kind of multiplayer code in the game unless it is hidden extremely well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The main reason I can see is the mixed reviews for the game.

At $60 (a value that differs per person) some may have decided to jump in if they thought additional content would be free to justify the higher cost

What if most of the DLC is free like The Witcher 3? But some huge changes are paid DLC?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No joke you don't work for free. That's not what is being discussed.

The whole "don't write checks your ass can't cash" is the problem :|

And what if I don't care about some of the checks that he wrote? What if I care more about the actual game?

Justified

What if most of the DLC is free like The Witcher 3? But some huge changes are paid DLC?

That would work for me, and would bring me back (I already sold my copy) But unlike the free content from the Witcher, NMS free content would need a little more "meat" to it, because the base game of Witcher offered much more than the base game of NMS (understanding they are a different type of game)

Top Bottom