New thread for new info. From the earlier GI thread.
About to leave on a flight so I have to do this crazy fast. GI info on NMS:
Game starts with trippy space trip like end of 2001. You just appear on a random planet, everyone will start on a different one. It could be very difficult with tough monsters, or have rare items or be boring. It will be different for everyone.
A beacon on your mini map leads you to your ship, you can leave at any time. Map shows the entire galaxy, different zoom level lets you see stars up close. Stars have a color that indicate the kind of resources they may have. You can scan their solar systems to see if there is a space station or a planet with points of interest, if it is previously explored you will see exactly what is on the planet.
At first you need a new hyperdrive and fuel so you cant go far. you need money to buy upgrades and fuel, basically everything you do deposits currency into your account. So you can blow up rocks to gather resources, blow up other ships, discovering new areas ect all give currency.
Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect.
You can attack incoming ships and steal their cargo as well, doing so will get the local police on you. If you escape they will put a bounty on you so that you can't go around the base without being attacked.
Each solar system has a space station, depending on how big it is shows the level of items in it. Large stations have much better ships and upgrades to buy. You can attack the station, can't blow it up but you can lower its ranking. You get nothing for it, they simply allow you to be an ass if you want.
Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.
Space combat is arcadey pick up and play style. They describe the combat like halo, you will need to determine which enemy to attack first. The smaller easy to kill ships or the bigger ones with shields which they describe as elites. Some ships will give shields to other smaller ones. Some you won't be able to stand up against until you upgrade.
Traveling to the center is the main goal but devs don't care if you don't care to go there. They say they want it to take 40-100 hours to reach there depending on how much you focus on getting to the center. Some planets have temples with portals that will randomly transport you closer to the center, you never know what you will find on the other side.
If you lose your ship, you will escape in a pod and land in the closest planet. You lose what items you had on the ship but keep your personal upgrades and your bank account. Your goal is to buy another ship. If you die on land you get taken back to the pod site and lose everything you gathered since leaving the pod. Dieing closer to the center of the galaxy is far tougher as planets could be brutal to escape.
With multiplayer they don't want people to meet up, no voice chat. They talk about how you don't know what you look like so someone else seeing you will be the one way to see what you look like. I'm hazy on that section, I'll read it again later.
They have a chart of possible upgrades for your suit, your ship and your multitool. Standard stuff like shields, jet pack, armor, power, fuel capacity, hyperdrive, etc.
If I forgot anything I will update later, got to go. If mods want to make a new thread to ahead, I'm out of time.
Few extra stuff:
- Devs decided against a galaxy completion percentage meter because it would remain hopelessly small.
- The map has multiple zoom levels, the furthest one shows the entire galaxy. Next one allows you to fly through the stars and choose ones to scan. Scanning a star shows info on the solar system like if you may find special resources, how many planets. If this system has been discovered you see extra info like what class the space station is and which planets have been explored. You can zoom to planetary level next and if the planet was discovered you will see the marks of interest that were found.
- Sean Murray, a dev, talks multiplayer. The map will show where your friends are and there maybe an in game messaging system but that is all for now. The first time you see another player is the first time you will realize what your character looks like "I think we will surprise people in terms of how they look." He says you only see them in a suit so you still don't know what is inside, "it still won't answer for people whether you are an alien or whether you are human or what you look like."
- Hauling resources from one system to another can be profitable but you need to calculate how much fuel you are wasting to see if it is worth it.
- No building of ships you can only buy what you see. So if you see a ship you like you can follow it and buy it at a trading post/station.
- Various factions in the galaxy keep track of your actions and may respond with love or aggression depending on those actions.
- Some trading posts have specific upgrades. Some stock lower level items, other high quality ones. So to upgrade something you need to locate the correct kind of trading post. Data from other players will help identify these. Otherwise you need to look around the points of interest and hope you find one.
- Upgrades to three categories are available, suit, weapon and ships. Suit and weapons can be permanently upgraded. Ships cannot, you have to buy ships with whatever upgrades you want. Upgrades come in a scale of quality from 1 to 5.
- Here is a partial list of upgrades:
Ships - Shields, laser beams, plasma shot, rapid fire shots, energy torpedo, wing (maneuverability), hull (additional stats shows if it allows ships to land in toxic areas, etc.), engine, hyperdrive, cargo space (also fuel), cloaking
Suit - shields, resource capacity, jetpack, air hazard, liquid hazard (defense against toxic, radioactive, etc)
Weapon - laser beam, energy shot, plasma grenade, scan distance, scan type (some stuff cant be scanned until upgraded)
- There is a shared common player database showing all animals and planet life discovered.
- The malevolent force robots are on SOME PLANETS. Sorry about that guys.
- The are ancient robots left behind by who knows what. They are a constant, they will be different types but they will act the same way, you can use tactics you learn to defeat them. They describe it like Halo and its main types of enemies. "we discovered we needed something like that in the game. We're still experimenting with this quite a bit."
- No early access or betas, they want it to be "finished" when it comes out.
- Ship combat weapons have different uses. Lasers eat shields, plasmas melt hulls, torpedoes are super powerful but slow. You have to manage cooldowns, no ammo.
- The portals need special weapon types to open, like a door in metroid. No clue what is on the other side, you cant take your ship. The goal is to explore as far as you can before needed to run back through the portal to safety.
- The center of the galaxy according to the dev "in some ways its like a beginning. I am hoping it is a nice moment for them that they actually feel like not sharing..."