• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky info from Game Informer

I believe this is for the best. There was always something unpredictable and fascinating about being invaded/helped by a stranger in Demon's Souls. I'm glad to see Hello Games feels the same.

Agreed.

Not everything needs to be MP/co-op focused. I love the idea of immersing myself into this universe and randomly running into strangers. It's nice to see Hello Games still focusing on crafting a good single player experience rather than relying on everyone grouping up with their buddies

1. Buy this game.
2. Buy Interstellar soundtrack
3. Start exploring space with this in background
4. Talk like Matthew McConaughey
5.????
6. All right all right all right

Absolutely hyped even more than before. Looks like they added the shooting section so people who want something besides exploration can do that. I plan to go full biologist and just explore the local organisms and plant life, only taking what I need.

I mean of course unless I find some cool ores/metals.

Ok now I'm sold. Was worried that this was just gonna be exploration, crafting, and light combat but there's a lot more going on. Awesome

1. Buy this game.
5.????

Absolutely hyped even more than before. Looks like they added the shooting section so people who want something besides exploration can do that. I plan to go full biologist and just explore the local organisms and plant life, only taking what I need.

Oh man. And now that there's MP3 support, we CAN do this!

Tigress

Personally, that sounds RAD. It's also a very clever way to encourage people to share tons of screenshots & clips of what they run into. Who knows, one of those screenshots or gameplay clips shared will be the one where they encountered you.

I saw on another forum where a guy was trying to put together an exploration team where they would share their findings with each other and help map out what they found.

Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

Game still sounds amazing, but I'm a little disappointed if this is true for every planet. Doesn't really make sense that there would already be robots, if you're suppose to be the first to discover the planet.

Early on they also talked about how you could wipe out an entire spieces of wild life, if that was what you want to spend your time on. It sounds like that would be way harder now, which I think is a real shame. The world will feel much less real if our actions aren't shaping it in some way.

Nokterian

1. Buy this game.
5.????

I will play this when i am going in to that ship for sure..getting goosebumps all ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVtMYqUAyw

Not sure about the economy, was hoping it would be more organic in you finding crashed ships or attacking others to upgrade your own, but the rest sounds interesting enough.

reddish

Neo Member
Maybe I'm being overly cynical here just because a lot of this seems too good to be true still, but the structure of the game seems like it was almost made around micro transaction gates to resources. Hope I'm wrong.

Nafai1123

Banned
Well you start on random planets on the rim of the galaxy, given the extreme distances involved just *getting* to your friend could be a lengthy ordeal.

Yea, no doubt it would be very difficult, if not impossible based on your ship and the distances you can travel. Hell, I remember them saying some of the planets would be so large you could have a million people on the same planet and they still wouldn't run into each other. The scale is just mind boggling.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
1. Buy this game.
5.????

I will be playing in the back seat of a Lincoln.

Pachimari

I kind of admit that I expected a little bit of a different game. One which were more multiplayer focused, where one could team up and travel the galaxy together but also meet other players online. Kind of like Star Citizen.

Even though, I'm still very excited about this game, if not more, as we are finally getting more details about it. :)

Wigdogger

Two things about multiplayer to clear up for people:

(1) They said in a previous interview that the style of multiplayer is akin to Journey, but it is not the focus of the game. They claimed that you could meet up, but they felt that most people hadn't grasped the scale of the galaxy and that it would take forever to find anyone (even on a large planet).

(2) Mutliplayer with friends will likely arrive via patch, as per the same video. They said it would be more of a "traditional" multiplayer experience, which I took to mean friends, clans, etc.

orava

I really wish you could do more creative stuff in this game. Build etc. It sounds pretty amazing otherwise and i hope that the space fighting sequences are fun and well made. I'm not a fan of "walking simulators" and hopefully there is not much of that in this.

Haven't seen any confirmation if we can name planets/animals. I doubt it but I mean how hilarious would it be to see different 'penis' based name variations.

DieH@rd

Banned
Description of the game sounds great. No mercy with death penalty, tons of stuff to do, incredibly large game world.

I am just bummed that they are so anti coop/MP oriented. Sure they don't want to have trouble with servers, but still. I would greatly appreciate at least pre-made way for enabling 2 player coop.

acb.jpg

Just give us a release date. Or better yet, bundle it with Morpheus. I want this now. Sony plz!!!!

Nafai1123

Banned
Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

This is the only part that concerns me. I was under the impression that these worlds are undiscovered. Having robots on all of them would feel a bit like they aren't as unknown....not to mention that they may provide unnecessarily difficult mining/exploration.

Maybe. I hope I don't get stuck with a boring planet at the start.

If you do you just leave it. There are billions of planets you can go to.

orava

Because it is 100% random.

Procedurally generated does not automatically mean that it's random. There definitely are some things that are using algorithms to generate stuff like landscape height etc. but the devs have also said that there is a lot of hand made content and lot of the world is generated using those base assets.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
This game reminds of a sci-fi open ended Journey, where the gameplay is minimalist and the player grow throughout the game. But the difference between the two is that Journey had a narrative and guided the player, while this game drops you in the universe to grow. I'm not sure how this will play out Journey was a fantastic experience for 2 and half hours, can NMS last over 10? I think that will answer this is how much is the game going to cost.

kpaadet

How is it that a small independent team of 10 people can make one of the most ambitious, awe-inspiring, and exciting titles gamers have seen in years, while other developers, backed by publishers with hundreds of millions of dollars, churn out tired IPs and recycled concepts?

My guess would be that most AAA games are designed by focus groups to be as bland and inoffensive as possible in order to have the largest possible demographic kinda like most summer blockbusters in movies. But hey indies don't count as real games and all that..

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Description of the game sounds great. No mercy with death penalty, tons of stuff to do, incredibly large game world.

I am just bummed that they are so anti coop/MP oriented. Sure they don't want to have trouble with servers, but still. I would greatly appreciate at least pre-made way for enabling 2 player coop.

Can someone bullet point the so much stuff to do? To my knowledge this game is about gathering resources for your ship, doesnt seem to be many other things.

Every solar system is inhabited by vendors and police robots? I dunno, the chance of getting stranded in the galactic boonies was a big draw for me. Oh well.

DirtyCase

1. Buy this game.
5.????

Yes very much this, you can call me TARS.

Add in morpheus support and say goodbye to my life.

I just hope there's a lot of depth and variety to the fauna and flora.

I'm not sure I like the multiplayer bit though, I'd love to explore with a group of friends.

Chabbles

"Traveling to the center is the main goal but devs don't care if you don't care to go there. They say they want it to take 40-100 hours to reach there depending on how much you focus on getting to the center. Some planets have temples with portals that will randomly transport you closer to the center, you never know what you will find on the other side."

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to reach the center to see what happens, and post it on youtube. Will it be like P_T_ where Kojima thought it would take people a couple weeks to crack the demo, for it to only take afew hours ?... Its gonna be hard to avoid the center of the universe spoiler if you plan on taking it slowly. gotta stay vigilant!. Man i hope this game is a massive success, because it sounds brilliant, and those gifs on page 1 bring home how cool this game might be.

Flappy

Banned
It sounds like such a shift from the original pitch :(

They introduced it as a peaceful exploration game in the first interviews, but now it sounds like a Destiny or Halo wannabe.

They introduced it as a peaceful exploration game in the first interviews, but now it sounds like a Destiny or Halo wannabe.

What a leap of logic here you jumped too......it still very well cold be a peacefull exploration game. You might be able to ignore any robots on the planets, we dont know anything about it to make these assumptions.

I could be remembering wrong, but werent they against having standard FPS gameplay in it from the beginning? did that change?

joezombie

There was very obviously at least space combat from the very beginning

Top Bottom