• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Next Generation Trailer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Given Sean Murray's track record, I'd wait to see gamers and websites claim the features are actually in the game before blindly assuming it's true.

Dont let Murray pull another "Yes" 80 times on you.

I played it earlier this year on gamepass and just cannot get into it. Guess I need more narrative and handcrafting in my games. Knowing everything is randomly generated makes it just..uninteresting. Which is kinda weird since our planet and universe is also randomly generated (you know what I mean) and yet I love it. Looks really nice though.
Exactly my problem.

I love everything about this game except playing it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Given Sean Murray's track record, I'd wait to see gamers and websites claim the features are actually in the game before blindly assuming it's true.

Dont let Murray pull another "Yes" 80 times on you.

Oh come on, this is getting old mate... after years of updates including VR support and full multiplayer as few of the many features added.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Exactly my problem.

I love everything about this game except playing it.

Oh god.... thank you. That’s exactly how I feel, but I’ve had trouble encapsulating it so simply. There’s so much depth in this game now, and all the next gen features look great, but I’ll struggle to actually download it again, just because I don’t think I actually want to play any of it. It all seems so aimless to me. Loads to do, but no point to any of it?
I put sixty odd hours in a few years ago, so I suppose I’d better give it another whirl... but....... eh.......

Last edited:
Oh god.... thank you. That’s exactly how I feel, but I’ve had trouble encapsulating it so simply. There’s so much depth in this game now, and all the next gen features look great, but I’ll struggle to actually download it again, just because I don’t think I actually want to play any of it. It all seems so aimless to me. Loads to do, but no point to any of it?
I put sixty odd hours in a few years ago, so I suppose I’d better give it another whirl... but....... eh.......
I will try it again, for sure...

Maybe one day.... ;)

Mihos

Gold Member
I have trouble going back to an open ended game when I have a stack of new games I haven't played yet.

It looks great, though

TonyK

I played it earlier this year on gamepass and just cannot get into it. Guess I need more narrative and handcrafting in my games. Knowing everything is randomly generated makes it just..uninteresting. Which is kinda weird since our planet and universe is also randomly generated (you know what I mean) and yet I love it. Looks really nice though.
Exactly my fear about the game and the reason I never try it.

The beginning of the trailer, the part where it says each thing is procedural, turn off my interest immediately. The strongest selling point of the trailer is just what I don't want in a game.

Just right now I'm playing Diablo III, and even if the game is fun and addictive, the procedural levels are boring, uninspired and repetitive. I never played a game with procedural levels I liked.

Said that, I'm tempted to try No man's sky in PS5.

stickkidsam

The amount of work done on this game is staggering. Every time I play it though the core gameplay loop just bores me to tears.

Playing Subnautica, I feel like its gameplay is just what No Man's Sky should be. The survival mechanics are fun and simple, the way you unlock recipes has a decent pace, and using different tools for different tasks varies up the gameplay.

gamer82

• An evolving game: Just another step on the evolution of the best-selling title, No Man’s Sky Next Generation will come preloaded with the previous four years of huge upgrades from day one. Join in the journey at our most important moment yet.
What do they mean pre loaded? Does every ps5 come with this installed?

i assume they may be scrapping other versions in favour of this on the stores going forward.

i haven't played but just a guess., cool if this is preloaded for people to try out along side astrobot but i doubt it.

MarkMe2525

Is this going to be delivered in another patch or were these capabilities apart of the last big update but locked? I was already hyped to play this game with faster loading and better performance when pulse diving straight into a planet. Now I'm so fucking hyped!!!

I also wonder what that means for current gen machines in regards to the expanded base mechanics. Would someone playing on an Xbox one not be able to visit my base, or are they allowed to visit but wouldn't be able to build one themselves?

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
More complexity, thicker foliage, bigger assets and faster load times are NOT next gen to me. We need a new engine that genuinely creates procedural planets and assets. Right now they're just in memory assets, which is why you end up feeling as if you're visiting the same planets over and over again. When true procedural generation is available, only then will every planet, every animal, every asset be unique to planets and planet geology.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wish they could find a way to make the planets and the wildlife seem more organic. Instead, it frequently feels like a big, random mish mash of shapes, colors and textures.

Because it currently is that. It's the one thing I've been hoping they improve but clearly the engine isn't capable of doing it. I often think 'nature's litter' when I look at planets. It works sometimes but most of the time things don'g mesh well with the environment, especially the stupidly large things. Big isn't better.

stickkidsam

Is Subnautica handcrafted and does it have good story? I have it installed from EGS but havent played it yet, and since I generally dislike survival craft games, I am not too enthused about it.
Hand crafted? Yes. I think you start in different areas of the map, but the world itself is all the same and it shows in how they structured the events in the game. It's actually really nice because while you can go basically anywhere you want from the get go, you are limited by your current set of tools. There's a really organic progression in the game because of it and you'll find the story will push you along when you aren't sure what to do yourself.

I've not gotten very far in the game (10 or so hours) but it's fun, with most of the story happening in audio logs you find or information gained from scanning stuff. For a while I thought it would just be a basic survival game but some shit has just gone down that changed that. There's some actual mystery to the world now and I'm digging it so if you are into exploration games and don't mind some minor survival elements (environment hazards, food, water, and oxygen), you'll have a good time.

Just don't be afraid to look up online tips if the survival stuff such as finding blueprints begins to annoy. Speaking of which, here's one pertaining to one of the first materials you'll want to find: CAVE SULFUR IS IN THE PLANT THE LITTLE RED SHITS POP OUT OF... GOD I can't believe I didn't figure that out lol

MrFunSocks

Banned
is this still on gamepass or no?
Sure is, I just started playing it last week.

Seems like it's a pretty good game to just fart arse around in and relax when I'm not playing online multiplayer games. Will wait to get this next gen patch and a Series X before I play any more now.

Esca

Think I'll pick this up when it goes on sale again. I bought it when it first came out and I liked it but traded it in for some reason. All the updates they've done look great and worth jumping back in

ReBurn

Gold Member
Looks great. Too bad 95% of the planets generated are without life or form. I'd like to see how the devoid, rocky yellow planets look.

ultrazilla

The "single player campaign" is IMO pretty hard and can be tedious. I'm enjoying the "creative mode" where I can spawn everything and not worry about
enough fuel or whatever.

Can't wait for the "next generation" patch.

Man I picked up NMS used for cheap right before the NEXT update and have been holding off in hopes they’ll make the VR experience the best it can be. I might end up waiting to play on PS5 enhanced!

EDMIX

Cool, might be time to go back.

True. I haven't played this game in years, was the first time I ever returned a new game to Amazon following that wild backlash.

Looking back, if they just fucking told people it was like a MMO or work in progress, GAS what ever they want to call it, if people knew that ahead of time and they were honest about what was missing, I don't think people would be as mad as they were. They omitted waaaaay too much. So I might go back next year if I have the time.

I think, I'd love a game that takes the NMS engine, and just does a single player game within a single solar system with lots of handcrafted content, NPCs and a great storyline.

The whole aesthetic of the game is fabulous, I just wish they'd do something different with it that I could enjoy.

MilkyJoe

Has anyone else noticed that the Xbox trailer of the Next Generation update doesn't mention 4K/60fps or Advanced Audio.
Take a look at both trailers and keep eye on top left...

Xbox Trailer...

PlayStation Trailer...

It's going to be a tough 7 years....

d.cay

Neo Member
Can someone please clear sth up for me.? I have my own assumptions, but just want to pick your brains (owning the digital PS4-version of the game):
  • I will get a free upgrade to the PS5 version, right?
  • Here comes the tricky part: does anyone already know how I will be able to access the PS4-version of the game on PS5 to play it in VR? Will both versions be installed side-by-side then?
  • how come that there is no way even for this game being kinda cross-gen updated to play the PS5 version in VR? Is there really no VR-api whatsoever to be used for games running in not-backcompat-mode? I guess it is what it is, but I just wanted to put it out there :)
Thanks in advance!

Shmunter

Can someone please clear sth up for me.? I have my own assumptions, but just want to pick your brains (owning the digital PS4-version of the game):
  • I will get a free upgrade to the PS5 version, right?
  • Here comes the tricky part: does anyone already know how I will be able to access the PS4-version of the game on PS5 to play it in VR? Will both versions be installed side-by-side then?
  • how come that there is no way even for this game being kinda cross-gen updated to play the PS5 version in VR? Is there really no VR-api whatsoever to be used for games running in not-backcompat-mode? I guess it is what it is, but I just wanted to put it out there :)
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I had both versions installed no problem. You toggle between the versions with the 3 dots next to the play button. I ended up deleting the PS4 version for the time being via the storage settings menu.

Running full fat PS5 version on vr is unknown to me yet, waiting for adapter.

Top Bottom