• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.twitch.tv/psytokat

Stream of two players basically in the same spot. Unfortunately, they can't see each other. Someone suggested space stations are different instances to avoid users getting through an Atlas Pass door opened by another, which makes sense to me. They're about to fly to the same spot on the nearby planet or around the space station to see what happens.

How is this possible so quickly when they kept saying that the chances of being in the same place as others in a galaxy this big was slim to none?

I mean he was constantly talking about how big space was. Everyone was always laughing at people who where planning on meeting up because of how it would pretty much be futile because of how long it would take to even simply get to the same system let alone station or something of another player.

The only thing I can think is that the game is starting everyone off in roughly the same spot in the galaxy...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Online aside I'm absolutely stunned that two players were even close enough to make it to the same planet already. I wonder how many people are playing this...

When your entire friends list plus your main group is playing but you still have 5 more hours of work

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

mishakoz

not being able to see each other is gonna blow up into a thing isn't it?

Its kinda disappointing. I never wanted this game to be an MMO but I also wanted to be able to occasionally happen upon another player and their stuff. I didnt want my universe to exist in a vacuum.

On my second star system. Feel like I should have stayed on my first, I was absolutely taken by my first planet but I feel the need to explore others. I feel like I'll miss so much cool shit just planet hopping though ughhh.

Backlogger

Seems like it. I mean the game wasn't marketed as a MMO so not sure we could have fairly expected that, but if the game is just running many instances with certain changes being synced accross all instances (naming, discoveries, etc.) it would at least have been cool to allow a friend to join your instance.

Klyka

Banned
It seems the concept of "instances" and "relogging to sync up" is completely foreign to people nowadays.

I need a drink

I don't know why people expected this to be a thing. I always assumed that the impact other players have is based around what they have done to a specific planet.

How did they run this experiment?

Earlier interviews Sean likened the "multiplayer" of NMS to Journey or Darksouls. But he also stated, very early on, that we wouldn't know what we looked like until we saw another player. And they were very clear that you would see other players, but you wouldn't know if they were other players or not because the game would not call them out to you.

If they changed it since those earlier days, they really should have said something sooner to manage expectations. If they didn't change anything, then this was an Molyneux-esque overpromise (lie).

Always search outposts for those little transmission beacons.
There are a lot more than you think, but they are sort of tucked away.

It shouldn't, mostly because there are such a thing as game instances. If I have a couple of friends playing Destiny or the Division, we could be in the same spot, but not see each other. Heck, in The Division I can see that my friends are in the exact same spot as me, but still can't see them.

Didn't Sean say that each player is in an instance with only a few other players? It seems like a non-issue, but it'll likely have its own thread soon.

Grakl

Earlier interviews Sean likened the "multiplayer" of NMS to Journey or Darksouls. But he also stated, very early on, that we wouldn't know what we looked like until we saw another player. And they were very clear that you would see other players, but you wouldn't know if they were other players or not because the game would not call them out to you.

If they changed it since those earlier days, they really should have said something sooner to manage expectations. If they didn't change anything, then this was an Molyneux-esque overpromise (lie).
Exactly, ugh

It shouldn't, mostly because there are such a thing as game instances. If I have a couple of friends playing Destiny or the Division, we could be in the same spot, but not see each other. Heck, in The Division I can see that my friends are in the exact same spot as me, but still can't see them.

Didn't Sean say that each player is in an instance with only a few other players? It seems like a non-issue, but it'll likely have its own thread soon.

These guys could see each others ships...

katagai

This feels like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere:

Are the trade commodity items (Gek Charm, Neutrino Module, etc.) only meant for selling on the galactic market? I'm hoarding all these items thinking I may need them and suffering for it.

Online aside I'm absolutely stunned that two players were even close enough to make it to the same planet already. I wonder how many people are playing this...

Wouldn't matter if all the people on earth where playing the game, the chances of being in the same place as someone else this quickly should be astronomical, especially after the patch that supposedly made the galaxies 10x larger... unless they really are just starting everyone off at around the same spot in the galaxy...

MattyG

Banned
Welp, I'm stuck. Can't find any copper and so I can't upgrade my hyperdrive, which means I can't leave this system.

Lucario

It seems the concept of "instances" and "relogging to sync up" is completely foreign to people nowadays.

I need a drink

I mean, I agree that they should try some more things before giving up, but online would be pointless if it required both players to be perfectly synced up. The only reason the limited online sounded fun in the first place was the idea of random, unlikely interactions.

This feels like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere:

Are the trade commodity items (Gek Charm, Neutrino Module, etc.) only meant for selling on the galactic market? I'm hoarding all these items thinking I may need them and suffering for it.

Yeah, they're pretty good money, too.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I believe they are for selling. I've seen a few posts in this thread confirming. I've been selling them. I found a GEK Dagger and I sold it

Do you find them as part of the story?

I think it's the start of the story since i read there is a emphasis on the Atlas path.
The game is now inviting me to engage in hyperdrive so maybe it's happen in greater solar system i have no idea. for now, i am fine just looking around hoping i ll stumble upon it.

neoism

I could chase those green question marks all day. Addicting.

lol yea i was bouncing around really quickly with my ship one after that another think I did about 20 in a row I don't really ventured out far from my ship because you just run and walk to slow ...

If this is true then I'm not sure what the point of implementing the infrastructure for that feature is since they've been touting how rediculously low the chance of anyone running into someone else is just because of the number of planets alone. If people are also separated by different instances then I can't imagine anyone ever bumping into someone else.

Wouldn't matter if all the people on earth where playing the game, the chances of being in the same place as someone else this quickly should be astronomical... unless they really are just starting everyone off at around the same spot in the galaxy...

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised and it would make sense, a big part of the game is exploration, you also want players to find things other players have explored too, what they've named planets, creatures, flora/fauna, etc. If it was truly random that experience would be non-existent. Another similar game Elite: Dangerous does the same.

Freeman76

On my second star system. Feel like I should have stayed on my first, I was absolutely taken by my first planet but I feel the need to explore others. I feel like I'll miss so much cool shit just planet hopping though ughhh.

Its not long until you get objectives that are on a planet 6 galaxies + away.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the loading time when you warp between systems always this long? Felt like that took about 2-3 minutes.

Weird. My brother and I both ordered from Amazon. His copy just arrived, but mine hasn't yet. Mine still says it's supposed to be delivered today. WTF is going on?

Big Nikus

I'm seeing here that "This game is excluded from Steam's Family Sharing service.".

Is it because the game isn't out yet and they haven't updated the page ?
Because it would suck big time otherwise. My girlfriend and I are splitting the cost, and we'd be forced to share the same save...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom