• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jond76

Banned
I've been going through my home planet tracking down every crash site I can. My vector is long gone. Haha. Searching out and repairing crashed space ships... You even get a little personal story tidbit. The game is amazing.

SomTervo

Did they happen to check the options menu to see if the green "Online Services Active" light was on? That would be the definitive test to me.

There is no definitive test. It's a dice roll whether the game instances you with another person or not.

Sean said that. Even being near someone it's still pure chance.

E92 M3

Tell me your sitchyeeation and I'll help. Did you accept the preorder ship? What quests do you have active?

I did the preorder ship right away. I have to go to a space station and refuel, and I also have something with the signal booster.

Should I just purchase the antimatter to set things straight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would travel around and try to find downed ships first
damn haven't seen any of those.
And all this time I thought I was in trouble with the space cops...
that's in the top right, looks exactly like gta
I did the preorder ship right away. I have to go to a space station and refuel, and I also have something with the signal booster.

What you want is the crafting recipe, I think purchasing it might advance the quest fine but have you made a jump to another system yet?

Personally I'd consider this a minor spoiler, but I think that's correct, though I can't know for sure. I think it's the one yes/no you get for that path.

I'm not sure that's the case. The ultimate end goal of the game is for everyone to get to the center of the galaxy. I chose the latter, and I haven't seen any differences from what others that chose the Atlas way have been playing. When I opened the star charts for the first time, I had a clear cut path to the center of the galaxy, though I was able to deviate from it.

I believe that accepting the Atlas' guidance is just a more fleshed out tutorial for that first area. It guides you to the areas where the repair materials are growing. As I mentioned, I refused the guidance, and I had to explore the planet looking for resources.

I may start another game on a different account in order to confirm this.

I declined the Beacon at the beginning :(

So did I, and I've had the same narrative experiences as those that accepted. I don't believe you'll be missing out on anything.

E92 M3

damn haven't seen any of those.

that's in the top right, looks exactly like gta

What you want is the crafting recipe, I think purchasing it might advance the quest fine but have you made a jump to another system yet?

I am in my second system now and would love to figure out how to get the recipe. There is something about a signal booster, but nothing on my hud.

5taquitos

Warping to the next system and performing a system scan should point you to the recipe you need.

Edit: Saw you were already in the second system. Are you sure you're not missing an icon while you're in space?

Shy

Immediately wander off when I start the game, find a cave with a chest icon inside. Walk in. See a little creature. Walk up to see if he's friendly. Fucker attacks me. Instantly try to get away. Get turned around in cave. Four more little fuckers start chasing me.

This game is pretty cool.

That said, walk speed and FOV reeeeeeeeeally need to be bumped up.
This Technique is your new best friend (big ups to Hawklan for the tips.)

"Boost dashing is super crucial and fun as hell, get the hang of it ASAP. It dramatically improves your movement speed and capabilities on the ground.
You want to Melee (R1) + Jetpack (hold X) for a big momentum burst. Sprint, then Melee + Jetpack for the biggest of all. You can really cover some distance this way and jump some big chasms. You can maintain momentum as long as you have jetpack charge."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not sure that's the case. The ultimate end goal of the game is for everyone to get to the center of the galaxy. I chose the latter, and I haven't seen any differences from what others that chose the Atlas way have been playing. When I opened the star charts for the first time, I had a clear cut path to the center of the galaxy, though I was able to deviate from it.

I believe that accepting the Atlas' guidance is just a more fleshed out tutorial for that first area. It guides you to the areas where the repair materials are growing. As I mentioned, I refused the guidance, and I had to explore the planet looking for resources.

Yeah truth be told, I don't know anything about this- or any of the narrative yet at all really. I know that one of the paths is called the Atlas path, that's all I know, didn't
say yes to the orb, and I loved the message you get if you select that option about wondering if you're about to be smited.

Dommel

I spent many hours exploring my first planet. Left briefly and returned. I eventually stumbled back across my original crash site. The atlas beacon had spawned again and let me choose again (I chose atlas both times). If you fled your home planet for good... I don't know.

I completely missed the atlas thing, my girlfriend activated it on her game but so far no differences between plays.

We've both warped 4 times on the way to the centre, does it become apparent much later?

r1chard

Unlocked at midnight. Forced myself to stop at 2am. Having those "call in sick" thoughts today except I can't this week.

Moa

I found an undiscovered planet called Kotaku:

97Ftgm.jpg

Rename to IGN.

E92 M3

Warping to the next system and performing a system scan should point you to the recipe you need.

Edit: Saw you were already in the second system. Are you sure you're not missing an icon while you're in space?

Yeah, no icon. It was there before, but disappeared. Maybe I didn't finish something there, but no idea how to find my way back there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There is no definitive test. It's a dice roll whether the game instances you with another person or not.

Sean said that. Even being near someone it's still pure chance.

Ah, gotcha. That seems like kind of a strange design choice. I'm sure there's some kind of esoteric back end explanation for it. This game seems like voodoo in general anyway. :D

Crumpo

Oh man this game is good. I had a blast on my starter planet, which had a green sky and lots of bulbous plants. Like someone else said the caves really sell that outer space exploration.

I ran about 10mins away from my ship, scanned what looked like a bison with a tentacle with teeth for a head, which squeaked and ran away, saw a base a little in the distance but as I reached the crest of a hill it turned out there was a giant canyon between me and it. Bugger. Slide down the hill and into a cave filled with luminous stalactites and bizarre scurrying crabs. After swerving around some bends I come out of a massive mouth into a luscious plain, filled with more life than I'd seen for the entire 10mins I'd been walking.

I don't care if this gets old after 30hrs; if my experiences are as fun as this I'll have had more than my money's worth.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, no icon. It was there before, but disappeared. Maybe I didn't finish something there, but no idea how to find my way back there.
find and break into a factory on a planet in that new system. you can cruise around the planets and scan to find one.

SomTervo

Ah, gotcha. That seems like kind of a strange design choice. I'm sure there's some kind of esoteric back end explanation for it. This game seems like voodoo in general anyway. :D

It's how it worked in Journey and they lifted the design totally from that.

Dat voodoo is maths, baby ;)

I'm a minecraft player. Will I like this?

Depends what you like about Minecraft. Building and crafting? Then no idea, this game has no building and limited crafting

If you enjoyed exploring endless terrain in Minecraft and seeing what crazy caves and structures you found? Almost certainly

Can't get past the "initializing" screen. Server issues?

edit: Oh boy. Didn't realize you had to hit square. Jesus I'm stupid sometimes.

are the preorder items worth around $7?

I can buy No Mans Sky for 7$ cheaper on US PSN but will not get any preorder items than if I preorder it on EU PSN.

Looks like it kind of is like paying for cheating when I look at the descriptions.

Yeah truth be told, I don't know anything about this- or any of the narrative yet at all really. I know that one of the paths is called the Atlas path, that's all I know, didn't
say yes to the orb, and I loved the message you get if you select that option about wondering if you're about to be smited.

Yeah, it could be some late game stuff that we just haven't seen yet, which would explain why there are currently no differences. The next week or so will be pretty interesting as more information pops up.

Can't get past the "initializing" screen. Server issues?

Are you holding down the square button?

Vorheez

Ok I'm confused... So in order for your upgrades to "work," they need to be placed NEXT to whatever you're trying to upgrade?

jond76

Banned
I completely missed the atlas thing, my girlfriend activated it on her game but so far no differences between plays.

We've both warped 4 times on the way to the centre, does it become apparent much later?

Haha don't ask me. I just left my first planet to the one next to it. Not even thinking about warping away.

SomTervo

So did I, and I've had the same narrative experiences as those that accepted. I don't believe you'll be missing out on anything.

I think the Atlas "path" leads to quite a different journey. Further down the line.

I've seen this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sitting on a mil, have 20 exo suit slots, discovered 60 words, special standing with my first race that hates the sentinals. I think I have a good start xD

Still on first planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom