• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I'm not playing the game right. I've put about 10 hours into the game and I'm on my 6th solar system. All in all I've probably one gotten 100u closer to the center I'm still millions away.

What's up with this at this rate i'll never get there

There is no right or wrong way to play. Some people have played 20 hours and have only visited the starting planet or another.

Obscura

I came across an underwater advanced facility but the door can't be shot down and there doesn't appear to be any other way in. Anyone come across one of these?

I imagine you won't be travelling closer to the center the exact same way forever...

edit: does anybody else have any issues with looking around? It feels really, "sticky" at times, like my view is trying to soft lock onto something when im looking around, making it really jumpy and not smooth. Only issue I have so far...

Feels like there's some input lag for sure, if that's what you're experiencing

Boost dashing is absolutely essential to making ground exploration manageable. The normal walk/run is way too slow. Also, I don't see why you can't use your ship's fast mode while in an atmosphere. Instead they make the fastest way to cover ground being leaving the atmosphere, going fast around the planet, and then going back into the atmosphere, stead of just letting us go fast when close to the planet. Pretty annoying.

Big Nikus

Any word if the Hello Games team have hidden like, 1 or 2 super rare things on only a single planet?

Imagine running across an Easter Egg that can only be found on 1 planet. Might be fun to keep an eye out for that sort of stuff.

I bet you can find Joe Danger skiing on an snow planet somewhere.

Jabba

Banned
I have a question. Has anyone else encountered extremely strange noises on planets with no life? In the area of space I'm in right now there's low groans and high pitched screams at night time. It sounds like there's something absolutely massive nearby but there's nothing around. Not even in the caves.

When you find gold you'll be getting hundreds of thousands per run. I was on a planet just loaded with the stuff earlier but I did a couple runs and left since I'm only a few hours in. Don't wanna break the economy too quick.

Yeah, I know. As I said, plutonium is the best I can do as far as work vs reward. I could look for emeril but by the time I found enough to fill my ship, I could'ave did multiple plutonium runs for more. I haven't left 1st planet yet, I wish I could answer.

I started on a planet, fixed my ship and went to a nearby planet to a beacon where I reacher a space station and received a blueprint for something new for my ship. On the way I named various plants and creatures and uploaded them. I am absolutely filled with questions, which is a nice feeling as I dont have that a lot in games anymore. I just need a few important ones answered:

- saving is done by landing on a new planet or at a 'saving beacon' correct? Not when returning in your ship or whatever.
- and about returning to your ship, i walked like half an hour to get from my ship to the station, do i have to hike all the way back? No shortcuts?
- for now the game is telling me what to do next. By following the 'missions' and naming stuff here and there, i am playing the game in the correct way?
- my mining gun doesnt do anything against attacking creatures. I mostly run into herbivors but this carnivor ripped me a new one until I jumped on a plateau. Do i have to upgrade my gun or buy a new one to fix this?
- big part of my time is just mining for resources so that i can stay alive in toxic air. This is normal? And the limited space I have for it is normal as well?

All in all i feel completely lost when playing this game which is a nice feeling but scary at the same time. Im constantly worried Im not playing the game the right way.

Thanks for anyone that can help out! What a mysterious game :)

It's pretty overwhelming.

Don't get too caught up with wondering if you're playing the game the right way, because there is not right way to play this game. The game will naturally lead you on a path toward the center of the galaxy, especially if you stick to the path that's given to you once you have your hyper drive.

As you play the game, you'll become more familiar with the systems, and you'll feel more comfortable exploring off the set path and making one of your own.

There are ways to get your ship to come to you, but you have to find an outpost on the planet that you're exploring. Once you're there, you have the ability to craft something called a Bypass Chip, which can be used at terminals located outside of the outposts and that will teleport your ship to you.

Your gun can be upgraded and you can find new ones. At the start, you don't have much in the way of attacks against the more abrasive lifeforms.

Your first planet was pretty bad, but the environments change as you progress through the galaxy. No all of them will require you to fight for your survival.

Mining is a big part of the first hours of the game, but you have several paths to choose from if that's not your style. You can equip guns and other offensive weapons if you choose to be a pirate and steal goods from those you've killed. At some point, you're going to find what's right for you.

OmegaFax

If you ignore the first Atlas thing at the very beginning of the game, there's no way to pick up on that Atlas stuff later? It's either free exploring or going to the center of the galaxy?

Has anyone found a way to bookmark a location? I found a derelict ship on my starting planet and I want to see all my vendor trash at the station first. I'm not sure how to leave and them find it again.

SirNinja

I came across an underwater advanced facility but the door can't be shot down and there doesn't appear to be any other way in. Anyone come across one of these?

One stream I watched had a facility like that with the doors already destroyed. It was completely flooded and there was no way to interact with anything; the guy nearly drowned on his way back up.

Sometimes the game just generates facilities underwater. So far, they can be considered completely useless, but who knows. Maybe in a future update, these places will have airlocks? (A lot of above-ground structures in hazardous planets really should have those anyway...)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started on a planet, fixed my ship and went to a nearby planet to a beacon where I reacher a space station and received a blueprint for something new for my ship. On the way I named various plants and creatures and uploaded them. I am absolutely filled with questions, which is a nice feeling as I dont have that a lot in games anymore. I just need a few important ones answered:

- saving is done by landing on a new planet or at a 'saving beacon' correct? Not when returning in your ship or whatever.
- and about returning to your ship, i walked like half an hour to get from my ship to the station, do i have to hike all the way back? No shortcuts?
- for now the game is telling me what to do next. By following the 'missions' and naming stuff here and there, i am playing the game in the correct way?
- my mining gun doesnt do anything against attacking creatures. I mostly run into herbivors but this carnivor ripped me a new one until I jumped on a plateau. Do i have to upgrade my gun or buy a new one to fix this?
- big part of my time is just mining for resources so that i can stay alive in toxic air. This is normal? And the limited space I have for it is normal as well?

All in all i feel completely lost when playing this game which is a nice feeling but scary at the same time. Im constantly worried Im not playing the game the right way.

Thanks for anyone that can help out! What a mysterious game :)
First off, I have some good news. YOU get to decide if you're playing the game the right way or not. ;)

Check out the tips I posted above and see if any of it helps. For starters, you want Triangle to switch between your gun and mining laser. The laser and gun techs are separate, the gun is something like "boltcaster" in your inventory.

You can save simply by getting in and out of your ship. As far as shortcuts back to your ship, generally nope- if you venture forth be wary of the return trip. But be sure to try transferring the contents of your inventory back to your ship as you go. However, occasionally you do find outposts and such with a landing pad, and you can use a Bypass Chip (craftable) to summon your ship to you.

I found one. But it was really deep in highly radiated water so I couldn't even reach it. Just before taking a break I found something even more unusual. A space anomaly that looked like a small death star. Inside were two aliens who spoke my language and a terminal selling a great gun very cheap. There was a weird glowing sigil too but they didn't give me any context as to what they were supposed to be.

Seems to be whenever you leave your ship or at outpost beacons

If your at an outpost you can use that hacking chip thing (forget its name, you'll have a blueprint to craft it) to call the ship to you.

This is open world in the best possible way. There is no "correct way" there is just your way. If it's fun then you're playing it right - however that is.

You should find some upgrade blueprints in some of the outpost sheds. One of the craftable upgrades gives you the ability to fire lasers. If not, I think it's an upgrade you'll get from an alien somewhere.

To start with. Took me awhile to work out how best to manage essential resources. I've had a couple of suit upgrades for extra storage space, and now grabbing Carbon or Plutonium as I'm wondering around is just second nature. Kind of collecting resources without thinking about it - more concentrating on the exploring until I'm rudely interrupted with a "no free storage space" warning...argh!

For me, this is the whole point of this game. If this feeling ever completely goes away - then the magic of the game might die with it.

Freeman76

I found an undiscovered planet called Kotaku:

97Ftgm.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Boost dashing is absolutely essential to making ground exploration manageable. The normal walk/run is way too slow.
Definitely, learn it love it.
Also, I don't see why you can't use your ship's fast mode while in an atmosphere. Instead they make the fastest way to cover ground being leaving the atmosphere, going fast around the planet, and then going back into the atmosphere, stead of just letting us go fast when close to the planet. Pretty annoying.
You can use the regular boost in atmo, just not pulse jump. No?

Freeman76

Massively enjoying this, but if I hear ''No free slots in suit inventory'' one more time I might explode. Its a game about resource collection FFS

Thanks for all the answers and tips folks! Enjoying myself and I have wednesday, thursday and friday off to play all the time I want (and watch all seasons of sopranos for the fifth or so time lol).

Happy exploring folks!

Found out how to get the Atlas pass! I just warped to a new system with a space anomaly. I went into this space station and got hit with a bit of narrative and they game me the blueprint.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you ignore the
first Atlas thing at the very beginning of the game, there's no way to pick up on that Atlas stuff later? It's either free exploring or going to the center of the galaxy?
Personally I'd consider this a minor spoiler, but I think that's correct, though I can't know for sure. I think it's the one yes/no you get for that path.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I guess I was lucky with my initial world - hospitable environment, tonnes of resources. So good that I haven't yet left.

Also, MY GOD THE TIMESINK THAT THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE. I started playing bang-on midnight, and then looked at the clock and it was 3:30am o_O

jond76

Banned
If you ignore the first Atlas thing at the very beginning of the game, there's no way to pick up on that Atlas stuff later? It's either free exploring or going to the center of the galaxy?

I spent many hours exploring my first planet. Left briefly and returned. I eventually stumbled back across my original crash site. The atlas beacon had spawned again and let me choose again (I chose atlas both times). If you fled your home planet for good... I don't know.

E92 M3

Having trouble finding the anti matter recipe. Hope my game isn't glitched :(

It says find and activate the signal booster, but there isn't anything on the map.

Jabba

Banned
I guess I was lucky with my initial world - hospitable environment, tonnes of resources. So good that I haven't yet left.

Also, MY GOD THE TIMESINK THAT THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE. I started playing bang-on midnight, and then looked at the clock and it was 3:30am o_O

Same here, I've even seen lots of ships coming and going via trading outpost.

Have any of you guys tried stealing cargo and being a pirate? Shooting down any ships that cross your skies? The reason it's called No Man's Sky is because I don't allow the sky to be claimed by anyone.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Same here, I've even seen lots of ships coming and going via trading outpost.
Yeah me too, I'm at the point now where I'm just flying to each of the unknown locations to discover new stuff. I'm still not all up on things like ship upgrades (or swapping to new ships) but I'll take my time getting there :)

FHIZ

Immediately wander off when I start the game, find a cave with a chest icon inside. Walk in. See a little creature. Walk up to see if he's friendly. Fucker attacks me. Instantly try to get away. Get turned around in cave. Four more little fuckers start chasing me.

This game is pretty cool.

That said, walk speed and FOV reeeeeeeeeally need to be bumped up.

Ferrio

Banned
At work so I can't play, so just listening to streamers. Witwix happened to come across the cutest animal I've yet seen.

Having trouble finding the anti matter recipe. Hope my game isn't glitched :(

It says find and activate the signal booster, but there isn't anything on the map.

Go to space, scan and visit whatever shows up. It seems to be given to you randomly but still a high priority recipe in general. I took the dlc ship and had to hunt a little for mine. I think mine was from breaking into a building.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have any of you guys tried stealing cargo and being a pirate? Shooting down any ships that cross your skies? The reason it's called No Man's Sky is because I don't allow the sky to be claimed by anyone.
This is my goal on this character. He is a violent psychopath.

Pretty neutered for now though. I had a couple small battles against other pirates (1 or 2 at a time) and did fine, but anything bigger or more than that and I'm wrecked. My first order of business is getting a decent ship from the
Vy'keen
because I really dig their groove. And that's a tall order, the cheapest they had was one for 1.8m units and the one I really wanted was 5.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom