• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Sarcasm

Yea we need logistics please. Especially hoppers and way to organize.

If we had a way for it to dump and be processed then it could be left alone. Who cares about how much it gives then heh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What is the quick transfer key to use for the open slot on a controller? Is it the same thing at the quick menu? (d pad down)

For PS4 it is down on the d-pad. Up on the d-pad is for base construction.
Just FYI for anyone else, what I was talking about here was pressing Y (Xbox controller) on an empty slot in your exosuit or starship inventory.

About the autonomous mining units:

1) in the original trailer about the update they are shown placing multiple units on the same resource node and mention marking it with a waypoint (which you'd presumably return to every so often to collect from and continue to build up into a bigger operation each time). Obviously this doesn't make them instantly more valuable but I believe that's how they were intended to be used, not actually as a one-shot more efficient alternative to manual mining.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYy3tT0nyk this guy has the same issues and proposals Unicorn is mentioning so I imagine they will make them more generous as the issue is raised

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What the fuck. Automated mining units are such fucking garbage. 5 mins of waiting for 20 units of a resource?! All of those materials to make one fucking mining unit and that's all it does. Jesus. I need a mod ASAP that makes it at least 250, but still fuck that because I have to go back to the unit to even retrieve the resource. Fucking pointless.

Yes but forever.

Unicorn

Ah. That's a really bad design then. You should be able to designate a base storage container for the collectors to teleport the resources into (until the container fills up), so that they just keep pumping out resources without user intervention. Otherwise it's not very automated.

Yea we need logistics please. Especially hoppers and way to organize.

If we had a way for it to dump and be processed then it could be left alone. Who cares about how much it gives then heh.
Yup, either set and forget, or if it's meant to be going while you also mine, then up the payout with the mindset it will on yield once or twice. I'd much prefer it trickle "automatically" to a container in my base. I mean, that makes the most sense for an automated unit...

Yes but forever.
As long as you keep pushing the button. It's like Lost. I ain't got time to sit there and hit the button every 5 mins.

1) in the original trailer about the update they are shown placing multiple units on the same resource node and mention marking it with a waypoint (which you'd presumably return to every so often to collect from and continue to build up into a bigger operation each time). Obviously this doesn't make them instantly more valuable but I believe that's how they were intended to be used, not actually as a one-shot more efficient alternative to manual mining.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYy3tT0nyk this guy has the same issues and proposals Unicorn is mentioning so I imagine they will make them more generous as the issue is raised

I don't think being more generous is the problem, it's having to babysit these things. Since to be practical they have to be somewhat near your base, that means just sitting around your base when you could be doing something fun. Sean seems to love farming materials so perhaps that's influencing the design here, but I just won't use these things if I have to go around to each one.

They should just make them automated as I mentioned, like putting collectors on a resource in Total Annihilation (or other RTS game). More focus on the fun, not the drudgery.

Shaneus

Two questions:
What's the quickest way to find those sac venom things the Korvax ask for?

How long until I can make glass? I've cleared out the Vy'keen task completely, just gave the Gek dude his charm (I can't remember what the next thing was) and need to give the Korvax dude some sac venom.

Fake edit: Just found this, maybe it could help others as well as I.

Unicorn

On a lighter note, I'm pretty sure my freighter is casting s shadow on this motherfucking planet. I parked it really close to the atmosphere and just now a janky giant shadow swept across the landscape. I thought it was a busted night cycle but looking up I can see th me thrusters of my freighter next to the midday sun. The light of day now changing smoothly but a polygonal shadow juttered across separately. Pretty cool, if that's what it was. It was so massive. I'm on a desert planet, so it reminded me of when a storm rolled in back when I lived in Arizona. The desert darkened then out up again as the cloud of my freighter drifted past.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think being more generous is the problem, it's having to babysit these things. Since to be practical they have to be somewhat near your base, that means just sitting around your base when you could be doing something fun. I know Sean seems to love farming materials so perhaps that's influencing the design here, but I just won't use these things if I have to go around to each one.

They should just make them automated as I mentioned, like putting collectors on a resource in Total Annihilation (or other RTS game). More focus on the fun, not the drudgery.
any alteration that makes it easier to get more resources from them with less effort is making them more generous. :p And again so far as I understood it the idea wasn't to babysit them or keep them near your base to collect every 5 minutes to have a single one, but to have a mining operation with a waypoint that you traveled to (with your ship if need be) every so often from multiple units and continually add more.

Anyway it's likely they will make some alterations based on feedback like I said since I see the identical complaints in this video. I have no experience with them (actually still haven't landed on a planet since the patch)

Oppo

just had some pirates follow me to the surface. had a dogfight in atmo. wasn't sure if that could happen.

any alteration that makes it easier to get more resources from them with less effort is making them more generous. :p And again so far as I understood it the idea wasn't to babysit them or keep them near your base to collect every 5 minutes to have a single one, but to have a mining operation with a waypoint that you traveled to (with your ship if need be) every so often from multiple units and continually add more.

Anyway it's likely they will make some alterations based on feedback like I said since I see the identical complaints in this video. I have no experience with them (actually still haven't landed on a planet since the patch)

Hmm

Can you put an autonomous mining unit on some rocks, leave the planet, come back, and collect them..?

They could be useful if you have a huge cluster of rocks that you want to mine..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm

Can you put an autonomous mining unit on some rocks, leave the planet, come back, and collect them..?

They could be useful if you have a huge cluster of rocks that you want to mine..
Oh, I assumed that you of course could do this, if not then even the original purpose they seemed to be advertising would make no sense.

True. :p But that idea of a mining operation sounds like a paper route to me...busy work. I know some people are into that, and I knew going in the crafting/farming side of this game didn't appeal to me as much. I just want to have the tools available to automate the things I don't care about so I can maximize my fun-to-time ratio in the game.

Hopefully they'll respond to some of this feedback, but I encourage anyone with ideas to send them to feedback@hellogames.co.uk ... I don't know if Hello checks GAF or not.

btw Hawk, you definitely owe it to yourself to dip down to a planet. The improvements to the terrain system are quite a pleasant surprise.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

As long as you keep pushing the button. It's like Lost. I ain't got time to sit there and hit the button every 5 mins.

What? LOL

You don't use them like that. You're not supposed to sit there and wait, you're supposed to set them up and return every so often on the way back or to whatever else you're doing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
True. :p But that idea of a mining operation sounds like a paper route to me...busy work. I know some people are into that, and I knew going in the crafting/farming side of this game didn't appeal to me as much. I just want to have the tools available to automate the things I don't care about so I can maximize my fun-to-time ratio in the game.

Hopefully they'll respond to some of this feedback, but I encourage anyone with ideas to send them to feedback@hellogames.co.uk ... I don't know if Hello checks GAF or not.

btw Hawk, you definitely owe it to yourself to dip down to a planet. The improvements to the terrain system are quite a pleasant surprise.
I can't wait, but I'm really enjoying this little self-imposed restriction to the skies of the system I'm in for the moment.

I've made over 2 mil now and got my freighter.
8F8264685CE65901792E88845CAAF02E07BBFD2A
I dig it and I'm fond of Admiral Nidomartan, although (and this ties into the earlier discussion of how or to what extent you actually "own" your freighter), he thus far is a bit less fond of me:
Nice little touch.

I love how easy the construction system seems and the instant recoloring. I noticed there's a GAF classic paint scheme that didn't look too bad, lol.

Also, this thingee...
if I buy a new freighter, will it have the contents of my old one? How does that work?

The only thing I need to complete all I wanted to before going planetside again is 50 nickel... and holy hell no one holds onto any nickel in this system. I'm not giving up yet though. There must be some damn nickel on one of these scrap heaps!

Unicorn

What? LOL

You don't use them like that. You're not supposed to sit there and wait, you're supposed to set them up and return every so often on the way back or to whatever else you're doing.

Lol... yeah, no. I ain't wasting my time for 20 units. I'm also not going to fill 20 slots with items just to make 5 units to get 80 unit yield 5-10 mins later. How the AMU's work now it is not at all viable to do that.

Bold One

Took me a while but I finally found a world that wasn't an irradiated hellhole to build my first base.

Though I have noticed that not a single planet seems to be geologically active. By that I mean volcanoes or fissures...no lava anywhere

So the expansion has finally forced me to upgrade my ship. All my dozens of hours in the game have been with the pre-order ship. It's been a tight fit, but I made it work. I hadn't really worried about non-yellow star systems because I was still finishing the Atlas Path, and wasn't worried about grabbing lots of credits, so the ship suited my needs. And it looked great.

But I've had to part ways with her. I felt a bit sad, especially as we can't even sell ships. I left her on the launchpad of one of the big trading outposts. Hopefully someone will take an interest and give her a new life; I'd hate to see her rot there on that desert moon.

So now I have a new ship. 19 slots, so not much of an improvement in cargo capacity, but I'm not ready for a big lumbering hulk quite yet. A little less refined, but more attitude. I think I'll name her Viper (for obvious reasons).

Now to find the materials for a Tau-level warp drive so I can find a Vy'keen to manage my armory. I'm not sure my crew will be too keen on this addition to the staff, but the Vy'keen have a certain knack for violence that the others do not.

Though I have noticed that not a single planet seems to be geologically active. By that I mean volcanoes or fissures...no lava anywhere

Yeah...I really wanted volcanoes. How can you have sci-fi book covers without some volcanoes in the background? (Or ringed planets for that matter?)

Harlock

The teleport always get the las 4 stations? So if wanna move to the center, or other distant place, your only options is keep the most distant teleport in the list?

Another thing, if you rename the systrm, the teleport list still display the original name?

McNum

It's weird, I only get one option on the teleporter, no matter how many systems I return from.

I also have a weird bug where the hydroponic trays for farming just straight up vanish. I'm thinking I should relocate my garden to the ground floor of the base... and expand it while I'm at it.

What's good for growing, anyway? Part of me is leaning Abumen Pearls because how that can escalate quickly as the rare ingredient needed to plant one is three Abumen Pearls. I was going to try and find a ship upgrade, but... if I can get a good farm going, why bother? Earn cash, buy spaceships. Current one has 24 slots, but if I'm setting up a pearl farm, I want one that can haul a whole lot of them.

I want a patch of the flower needed for windows, too. Skywort, right?

I wish the Discoveries page showed the major elements available on each planet you've been to (basically mirror what you see when a planet is scanned). I'm looking for a particular element for crafting and have no idea if any of the planets in nearby systems have it. NMS could benefit from some QoL improvements around keeping track of quests and other data like this.

The teleport always get the las 4 stations? So if wanna move to the center, or other distant place, your only options is keep the most distant teleport in the list?

Another thing, if you rename the systrm, the teleport list still display the original name?

The teleporter list seems to be different for everyone right now. Mine is only showing two, with no particular logic I can figure out. The original name thing seems to be a bug -- I filed it as one with Hello anyway...hope they fix it in the next patch.

I said from day one the game should have been a lot harder. So I'm very glad with the survival mode. Everything makes more sense when it's a more dangerous universe. I even died once after falling down a chasm and running out of fuel for my jetpack, space exploration is cruel.

c0Zm1c

The station in one of my go-to systems for certain resources has mysteriously vanished from the list of stations I can warp back to from my home base. I had only recently visited it too and used the teleporter to go home (and had only used one other station to teleport back since then). I managed to find the system again on the galaxy map (and promptly placed a waypoint to it!) but that's kind of annoying. Seems a bit buggy to me, or needs some explanation of how it actually works if not.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lol... yeah, no. I ain't wasting my time for 20 units. I'm also not going to fill 20 slots with items just to make 5 units to get 80 unit yield 5-10 mins later. How the AMU's work now it is not at all viable to do that.

So you're going to mine that material near your base permanently? I'd much sooner keep it as a regular, infinite source of income, but that's just me.

Regarding the teleport locations list, I'm wondering if it's tied to the milestones, so a low level explorer milestones allows only one or two locations in the list. I don't think I've fully maxed out that milestone but I'm close, so right now I have the last 3 locations in the list. Also, I'd say that the order of the list rearranges from most recent on top, but it feels it's not 100% consistent. Even if it is, it's very fleeting and hard to keep track of, especially if you jump around a lot and selectively use some of the teleports.

I agree we desperately need some QoL improvements, a detailed journey log, a more robust and detailed galactic map and maybe even a star system map, but most importantly they would need to set up the infrastructure and conditions for the game to remember and make certain things more permanent. Most of us want the galactic journey and exploration to mean something, to be recorded and inspected at any time, to let us visually see where we've been, revisit previous memorable locations and maybe even let us leave a more drastic and permanent mark on a planet or star system. But for this to happen, some things need to change that will potentially increase the server load, performance and save game size. It doesn't look like they're ready to do this yet, but it looks like they're slowly trying to do just that.

One thing that gives me hope about some of these permanence issues is that the home base seems to be working as intended no matter how much or far I jump, the custom crafted beacons stay put and the landmarks (as well as terrain deformation) seem to stay unchanged (I left a beacon next to a temple on one planet, went back 20 hours later and the temple location and layout seemed to be exactly the same as I left them), so there's potential there for a more robust set of permanent info. For example, they could make creatures more interesting by adding new tech for tracking (so you look for footprints, odour traces etc.), analyzing (x-ray look of internal organs and weak spots, think hunting like in Carnivores, you can only kill the T-Rex by shooting it in the eyes or whatever) and tagging a creature with a tracker, so that specific creature permanently exists on the planet and can be found again if you ever come back, maybe even capture it one day for your space zoo, releasing it on another planet and disturbing the ecosystem. I mean, I doubt a lot of this can be achieved without drastic changes to the game, but some of the fundamentals could still be implemented, which would greatly increase the game's fun factor. The canvas and foundations are there for sure.

somme

People have asked for flowing water or water on different elevations. That's just river-shaped lakes.

Yes, well even so. There weren't quite as many "river-shaped lakes" before Foundation.

I don't think we'll be getting flowing water any time soon.

Mindlog

Yeah ended up buying my first freighter. Looked neat enough and only cost 7m. Apparently I had closer to 25m on my character.

Next step; Figure out the building stuff. I have all of the old blueprints and none of the new.

mokeyjoe

People have asked for flowing water or water on different elevations. That's just river-shaped lakes.

Well flowing water isn't going to happen in any game like this. It's only ever going to be a moving texture on top of water at best, and I'm not fussed about that.

Water at different elevations would be nice, but river shaped lakes can look very effective if they're done right.

You don't see rivers leading to seas though. I think that should happen.

SomTervo

Took me a while but I finally found a world that wasn't an irradiated hellhole to build my first base.

I swear i found a planet with lava once. But i wouldn't have called it geologically active.

Has no one thought of this yet? The advanced mining laser is two lasers. It's there to help you progress faster after you've "settled down" with a base. So maybe in the future other people will come and visit your base. Not possible at the moment, but what if you didn't have a base? And never had any intentions of having a base, but still wanted that interaction with other people? So my point is the advanced mining laser is one unit with two lasers...and you know what also has two lasers? Two people, together. Two people helping each other out without the need to settle down. Just an idea.

Sarcasm

There is a way to change your save's difficulty choice. Anybody done it? I had both going but...luck is better on my Normal run.

Unicorn

So you're going to mine that material near your base permanently? I'd much sooner keep it as a regular, infinite source of income, but that's just me.

I have a heredium deposit by my base. I don't need it any more, but if I did, it respawns every time I boot up my game, so it's infinite anyway.

AMUs are paltry and a waste of your time since you can just spend 5 seconds getting a larger yield instead of spending those 5 seconds making a unit there.

Agree to disagree at this point, but yeah, fucking a.

vix

I really really wish I could just buy inventory slots for my ship to max it out instead of hunting for a new ship. I really like the ship I have. I also wish we could move the bits around like the warp drives and what not.

I can't remember what system type I found the one I have in. I was doing the crashed ship thing for a while then found the one I have on space station and I don't think I've seen another one since.

Since the game has a normal mode and survival mode, I feel like the prices of ships should be lowered a bit in normal mode. But that's just me, I've always had a bit of hard luck finding planets with cubes or pearls to mine but the ability to see if a planet has them before I land helps. I found a system where every planet had cubes on it but I had just come from a really crazy pirate fight and was about to get attacked again. And instead of just letting them kill me and retrieving my grave I stupidly fled to another system.

Tigress

I really really wish I could just buy inventory slots for my ship to max it out instead of hunting for a new ship. I really like the ship I have. I also wish we could move the bits around like the warp drives and what not.

I can't remember what system type I found the one I have in. I was doing the crashed ship thing for a while then found the one I have on space station and I don't think I've seen another one since.

Since the game has a normal mode and survival mode, I feel like the prices of ships should be lowered a bit in normal mode. But that's just me, I've always had a bit of hard luck finding planets with cubes or pearls to mine but the ability to see if a planet has them before I land helps. I found a system where every planet had cubes on it but I had just come from a really crazy pirate fight and was about to get attacked again. And instead of just letting them kill me and retrieving my grave I stupidly fled to another system.

Cubes and gravitino balls aren't your money maker. Go find a planet with emeril (you might have to scan to find where it is, it tends to be underground). One slot of emeril should get you something like 60-80k and two slots will get you over 100k. If you are really lucky you'll find a trading post with Emeril right next to it (I found one with a ton of it and ended up netting about 2-3 million that way... except apparently there's a bug that the game forgets you mined something after a certain bit so some of that was some of the emeril coming back. When I saw that for certain I stopped but I bet I could have earned enough for a freighter doing that).

putermcgee

The photo mode option is maybe my new favorite part of this update. I just wish it was easier to flip it on and off, like pressing right on the d-pad clears UI stuff, pressing it again clears everything (for photos), then again to bring everything back on screen.

I think NMS is one of my favorite games this year, and this update is going to help me from looking like an insane person when I say that.

8byte

Banned
I think I found an exploit for farming and the base limit cap.

Basically you can build the farm in cuboid rooms, then delete the cube, and replace it. The farming pod will be gone, but the plants will remain, bringing down your complexity limit and letting you grow more stuff!

elguero

I would like to see AMUs linked up to storage containers at the player's home base. Mined resources should automatically appear in the assigned storage container until the container is full. If Hello feels that's too unbalanced then they could just have the AMU link to one storage node in the container. Resources will begin to flow back into the container once the player returns to the base to "claim" the auto-mined resources in the storage container.

To add to the teleporter stories, I teleported from my home base to local space station, went from space station to new system space station, teleported back and only have one option on my bases teleport menu, had to fly back to my local space port. Was kind of lame tbh

-

How is buying/selling supposed to work?

I buy Suspension Fluid at around $20,000 but can only sell for like $1,000 a pop

I buy Dynamic Resonators at around $33,000 and can sell normally around that or at around $52,000 per a specific trader.

It seems like Suspension Fluid is broken and that it should be selling for much closer to what you buy it for.

-

Also I kind of stumbled into a good early/medium method for making units just from trading.

At my local space station, I would buy all the Dynamic Resonator's I could at +/- 1% of galatic average and then sell them to one particular trader/traveller who would buy them at +97.6% GA. Made about $20,000 credits per unit sold. Not sure if this is only specifically possible/viable due to a bunch of random variables though. I.E. will at least one trader that visits the station be +~100% GA on DR's? If so, will the majority of other traders that visit be +1/-1 to GA on DR's?

It's not fancy and may not be common but you can make maybe 250,000 units every 5 minutes if not faster and while certainly not a good strategy for a well established player maybe (with farming), it was great for me. Before that I was mining Emeril at like $100,000 a half hour or so

I have a heredium deposit by my base. I don't need it any more, but if I did, it respawns every time I boot up my game, so it's infinite anyway.

Uh do all destroyable resources get respawned if you reload the game?

Because I've kind of gone ham on my home base planet and really need Plutonium

Like badly

Keep using rest mode on the PS4

Here's my quick guide:
-Do the base quests until you can plant Carrion Root and learn the Lubricant recipe. That requires the Scientist and the Farmer.
-Plant Carrion Root. I initially had 3 but was short on Thymium and Mordite. You harvest Mordite from Carrion Root so that takes care of itself, but between harvests I'd go gather Thymium.
-Harvest Mordite from Carrion Root. Initially you should use it to plant more Carrion Root until your farm is as large as you want it to be.
-Once your farm is as big as you want, harvest Mordite and make Lubricant. The Carrion Root regenerates in about 5 minutes, so repeat until you're bored or have what you want.
-Sell Lubricant. You can teleport to the space station and sell, or better yet, build a shop terminal in your base and sell there.

With a farm of about 40 Carrion Root, I make about 1 million units per harvest. Actual farming and crafting time is 2-3 minutes, and another 2-3 minutes of waiting. So 1 million units every 5 minutes or so, but it's tedious. Your waiting time can be used to go gather materials or whatever you feel like doing.

IMO if you want a better ship, crashed ship hunting is still probably faster. But you can get enough to buy a freighter really quickly.

Thank you for this. I bought a freighter for 7 million and one of my next systems had the coolest looking freighter I've ever seen... but now I have no money to buy it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got a new multitool offered from a Freighter captain reward, pretty cool.

For the most part though, I have noticed these as the most common rewards for helping freighter captains:

-Plutonium
-Units (60,000-100,000)
-Warp fuel (anything from Electron Vapor all the way to Warp Cells outright)

You usally get 2-3 rewards from this list per. I've also seen (more occasionally) Titanium and Chysonite.

Some (pretty generous) portion of Plutonium seems to be the most common reward. Since I've heard Plutonium can be harder to come by now than it used to be, this is worth keeping in mind for people who don't mind hanging out in space a bit.

Make sure you have a few empty slots in your exosuit before talking to the captain. Rewards that can't fit into a slot are just lost.
It seems like Suspension Fluid is broken and that it should be selling for much closer to what you buy it for.
Suspension fluid is an extremely basic, easily and cheaply craftable product (50 carbon, which is literally less than my Korvax bros will just give me on the regular for free at any time)- it would be broken to be able to sell at those prices. The price you're charged from the trade network is essentially just a tax for not having the recipe yet.
Also I kind of stumbled into a good early/medium method for making units just from trading.

At my local space station, I would buy all the Dynamic Resonator's I could at +/- 1% of galatic average and then sell them to one particular trader/traveller who would buy them at +97.6% GA. Made about $20,000 credits per unit sold. Not sure if this is only specifically possible/viable due to a bunch of random variables though. I.E. will at least one trader that visits the station be +~100% GA on DR's? If so, will the majority of other traders that visit be +1/-1 to GA on DR's?

It's not fancy and may not be common but you can make maybe 250,000 units every 5 minutes if not faster and while certainly not a good strategy for a well established player maybe (with farming), it was great for me. Before that I was mining Emeril at like $100,000 a half hour or so
If I understand your question right- there's no guarantee that a trader in a given system will have that need/premium for Dynamic Resonators, and it could easily be the case that they instead sold from the network there at an overcharge, so you found a good opportunity. Totally worth it. But if you hang around a system for a while and keep checking prices and trader inventories you can usually find something along these lines (edit especially if you hop from station to freighter to freighter to check all the traders you can find) to take advantage of- better or worse depending on your own capital and inventory. There is a trader in my system that pays out a ton for Grantine- and I have the recipe. Other traders throughout the system have handfuls of Aronium which the recipe needs, so I bought some and made all the Grantine I could, but quickly bottlenecked on Iridium, which I didn't come in with a stockpile of and is more rare for trading in this system.

Best gig in this system is just running Gold, it sells on the trade network for just about +5%, but it is eeeeeverywhere in asteroid fields here, for an payoff of ~150,000 every 5-10 minutes, depending on whether or not I find the a big "egg" or two or just the small crystals. I also like it because it gives me lots of chances to help the freighters with pirate attacks for Tropheum, rare alloys and the captain rewards.

I finally found a planet with Emeril last night so I can craft my Theta warp drive. They've changed Emeril to be found in these small caves. The Emeril is on the walls of the cave, and creates this glowing, luminous effect that's really quite pretty. So to get 1000 units I had to strip mine four of these caves leaving behind a dull husk, and for the first time I felt like, "Oh....I'm the bad guy in this game." I never cared about the pillars, but destroying these caves I felt kinda...bad about it? Thanks Hello for making me feel like a ravenous eater of resources and destroyer of ecosystems.

How is buying/selling supposed to work?

I buy Suspension Fluid at around $20,000 but can only sell for like $1,000 a pop

I buy Dynamic Resonators at around $33,000 and can sell normally around that or at around $52,000 per a specific trader.

If you bought Suspension Fluid for 20k you got suckered!

NMS has a dynamic trading system. Each star system and each individual trader have their own things they want to buy and want to sell. This creates fluctuating prices. You can even influence local prices by what you buy and sell.

To avoid making bad deals, you need to keep an eye on that percentage value. That represents how less or more the item is being bought/sold for compared to the average galaxy value. If that number is red, stay away unless you're desperate. If that number is green, you'll at least get a fair deal. If that number is +90-100% you can sell for good profit, but you'd be buying at a huge loss.

If there's a star icon on the item, that means the trader really wants to buy that item, and you'll make good money if you're a seller.

IMO the UI for trading is extremely laborious due to all the slow, unskippable animations, but it's certainly possible to just be a trader and make decent money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
IMO the UI for trading is extremely laborious due to all the slow, unskippable animations, but it's certainly possible to just be a trader and make decent money.
I do hope this is tweaked a bit (maybe there's already a mod) to just be quicker in/out speaking to NPCs; the gameplay/trading dynamics themselves I've actually been enjoying quite a bit since the patch.

Mindlog

Everything was going according to plan. Just bought a neat enough looking freighter, but it was green. Still have 17+ million units so no big deal. Went to a random planet to look at stuff and found my first abandoned base on accident. Wasn't going to build, but then I ran into a bounty hunter. 'Hey build a base here. Don't worry. I'll protect it.'
He's approximately 5 cylinders tall.
And so it begins.
Also turns out my freighter isn't green. It's a bad ass black and red. Now I don't want to trade it in.

Quick question #1: Are bulkheads and doors two different objects? I want to put a door on my specialist office rooms, but the game won't let me.
Quick question #2: Do foundations let you build anywhere or is it more of an aesthetic piece? (*edit: nope)

SilverManson

Neo Member
I used to find so many ruins. Now they seem so sparse. Is there a way I'm not seeing to find them easily? The Signal Scanner doesn't scan for them and I'm sure they use to be a way to scan for them in the original scanner that was at random outposts.

Tumle

Cubes and gravitino balls aren't your money maker. Go find a planet with emeril (you might have to scan to find where it is, it tends to be underground). One slot of emeril should get you something like 60-80k and two slots will get you over 100k. If you are really lucky you'll find a trading post with Emeril right next to it (I found one with a ton of it and ended up netting about 2-3 million that way... except apparently there's a bug that the game forgets you mined something after a certain bit so some of that was some of the emeril coming back. When I saw that for certain I stopped but I bet I could have earned enough for a freighter doing that).
Found a system littered with Emiril asteroids 😯

Top Bottom