• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Patchnotes 20 August 2016

Cess007

I wonder what happened there.
After the game was out and people started to report all the glitches, bugs and crashes they hired a completely new and bigger QA team.

Did they just QA it themselves?
They are a small team, but some of the stuff seems to be pretty obvious.

To be honest, this game seems like a nightmare to debug. How the hell do you reproduce and isolate some issues if each planet is different and sometimes unique?

Of course, that doesn't excuse them for the poor PC performance and the stability issues (playing on PS4, i've had 4 crashes so far); so, maybe they should have hired the bigger QA team before the launch.

Ozium

Honestly, regardless of the company and the game, I never played something that crashed as much. I seriously can't recall a game (that I played) that launched in such a poor state on PC.

I still like the game (36 hours clocked so far), but it DEFINITELY has lots of issues.

And tell them what? Help me I crashed? Where's the minidump with the info they need to reproduce it? Please use logic instead of witty remarks.

If there is a way to send them crash reports, they didn't make it easy to find. Also, why the fuck is it crashing so much in the first place? We should be content with being beta testers?

If you continue to have problems please make sure to tell us at support@hellogames.co.uk

"PC Crashes – please attach the following:
You will hopefully find a crash dump here:
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp
(it will be called something like NMS_crash_1471005374.dmp)"

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/support/

that was hard

By whose account? All the people having crashes and issues are hallucinating?

Have I ever said that?

I've said that it's playable ("perfectly" is too strong? fine). On account of our own thread here on GAF where there's a lot of people that has been playing the game since launch.

It doesn't mean that crashes and other issues are absent. It just mean that it can be played, and that ymmv. As I said in my first post already (you know the part where I say "I may have been lucky").

I've had a couple crashes too. And some of those "straight to orbit" glitch. It doesn't mean that it's unplayable. It means there are issues. But if you are interested in the game, you can play it just fine.

If you continue to have problems please make sure to tell us at support@hellogames.co.uk

"PC Crashes – please attach the following:
You will hopefully find a crash dump here:
C:UsersAppDataLocalTemp
(it will be called something like NMS_crash_1471005374.dmp)"

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/support/

that was hard
Oh, well some sort of prompt when the game crashes would be neat, otherwise I'm going to usually assume they don't have a means of which to tell why your game crashed.

Jafku

- If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
- Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).
Thank the lord. The current waypoint system needs an overhaul. It's stupid that you can only have three waypoints at a time.

theWB27

Honestly, regardless of the company and the game, I never played something that crashed as much. I seriously can't recall a game (that I played) that launched in such a poor state on PC.

I still like the game (36 hours clocked so far), but it DEFINITELY has lots of issues.

And tell them what? Help me I crashed? Where's the minidump with the info they need to reproduce it? Please use logic instead of witty remarks.

If there is a way to send them crash reports, they didn't make it easy to find. Also, why the fuck is it crashing so much in the first place? We should be content with being beta testers?

I'm not dismissing issues. I'm talking about the effort about the effort to scream from any rooftop available even when there's a place for it.

CaLe

don't like that? then don't whine and play something else, and for the love of gaming calm down

Not sure why you're whining about my gameplay experience? Follow your own advice?

Oh, well some sort of prompt when the game crashes would be neat, otherwise I'm going to usually assume they don't have a means of which to tell why your game crashed.

Please stop using logic, they don't like that. It makes defending the game harder.

SJRB

Gold Member
What about the patch notes for the console versions? PS4 had a 1.04 patch last night as well.

Have I ever said that?

I've said that it's playable ("perfectly" is too strong? fine). On account of our own thread here on GAF where there's a lot of people that has been playing the game since launch.

It doesn't mean that crashes and other issues are absent. It just mean that it can be played, and that ymmv. As I said in my first post already (you know the part where I say "I may have been lucky").

I've had a couple crashes too. And some of those "straight to orbit" glitch. It doesn't mean that it's unplayable. It means there are issues. But if you are interested in the game, you can play it just fine.
The thing is is that some people can't. I'm like one of the biggest NMS fanboys on this site. The game crashes every 10 minutes and stutters at like 15FPS constantly. Its unplayable. I have to wait until they fix it because it is an unplayable mess for me on PS4. Its weird it started happening as I got really far into the game. Finished the altas path, maxed out my suit, ship and multi tool all fully upgraded and then the gane just completely fell apart. Same kinda shit happened for me with Skyrim.

Game was released way too early

Had to get a refund from steam because the game would freeze my system immediately after launch, including after trying the regular patches and the experimental patches.

This is on a high end PC.

Ended up buying PS4 version and also had that locked up the PS4 (ie had to power off and on) but at least I can actually play the game.

I actually think the game is very interesting and I dont regret buying it, but I think they just bit off more than they could chew with such a small team.

Can you not get to somewhere on the planet with a trade terminal(shelter/outpost/random terminal in the wild)? All terminals sell Zinc.

I've been wandering for three hours - currently lost in a cave. The only oxide is in the yellow boxes, and it's not giving me zinc.

He may have changed his ship to a crashed one which needs zinc to fix the pulse jet.

That's exactly what happened, I thought it might let me off the planet when I fixed my launch thrusters, but no. And it won't let me take off without pulse.

TyrantII

planet rotation and orbits.
i've seen videos
from the current version of the game showing that neither happen, basically stars are 2D objects on the skybox and planet systems are entirely static.

Go away.

OT, there's been 3 patches? What's the release dates?

Patch 3 must have been Thursdays?

Intel_89

You're describing the release state of AAA games, some of which aren't ever even fixed. I don't know why you're holding an indie dev to higher standards.

Indie or not, they were the ones that set the bar this high. They should've tried to figure out if they would be able to manage their own product before it hit the market and beyond that point. There are endless indie games that came out working just fine, some of them made by just one person, I'm aware that NMS is a lot more complex than your average indie but they should've been able to sort this out before the game was pushed out.

OmegaFax

Damn this game makes people mad

This game is procedurally generated rage. I'm not mad and am glad they're tackling issues with multiple patches in less than two weeks it's been released. I want this to be a game I can revisit down the road because it's still an interesting concept marred by some rushed execution.

old

Yeah, my 6950 2GB can last a little longer.

It was weird. My card still plays everything well but this game was saying it was obsolete (which it is). Maybe I can get a few more years out of it after all.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
"PS. A better waypoint system is coming."

...god is real...

Console gamer here, since version 1.04 the game hasn't crashed once, though it did freeze for a split-second both times I warped to new star systems this afternoon.

The multi-tool terminal crash seems to be gone now. I had it a few times, and not once since the patch.

Touch wood, the game seems to be running well on PS4 right now.

kewlbot

hows rx 480 performance?
i was planning on getting this but i want to make sure my gpu is up to snuff
ive seen some videos but this was before the patch and it dont run too great

Seiniyta

And console patch notes?

Sorry, not that I know. Doesn't the PS4 version get patch notes displayed on screen when there's a patch? I recall that being the case when the day 1 patch was released.

Also, to reiterate, keep it about the patch notes. If you want to discuss things about the cut content etc. A thread for that already exists here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264344

Go away.

OT, there's been 3 patches? What's the release dates?

Patch 3 must have been Thursdays?

Sounds about right. There also was a small 8mb patch today. Not sure what it did however. Probably a hotfix.
I don't have the exact dates of the patches at hand unfortunately.

Kurdel

Banned
I am playing on another profile on my PS4 because I had the preorder ship warp core bug, still not fixed.

Nice to see them ignore that issue.

Seiniyta

I am playing on another profile on my PS4 because I had the preorder ship warp core bug, still not fixed.

Nice to see them ignore that issue.

That was supposedly fixed in the 1.03 patch. Though it might not fix itself if you were already affected by it.

kyser73

PC owners in findings the game would be released 3 days after the OS4 version: Wahhhhhh!!!

PC owners after the release: it's a POS, too buggy, we're alleys testers, should have delayed the release and fixed the bugs.

OT: I noticed a 1.04 patch on PS4 last night so I'm assuming point 4 in those notes was applied - only text in the notes is 'Bug fixes'.

Seiniyta

Hello Games ‏@hellogames 1h1 hour ago
If a PS4 crashes, it sends us a crash dump. Over the last week since the game came out we categorised and fixed these in order of priority.

This has been incredibly useful, and allows us to know exactly how many people are affected.
Thank you

Patch 1.04 fixes 75% of crash issues for PS4 was released Friday. Patch 1.05 fixes 87% of crash issues for PS4 was released Sunday

Patch 1.06 fixes 90% of crash issues for PS4 is in testing and will release this week

Hello Games ‏@hellogames 60m60 minutes ago
We obviously won’t stop until these issues are 100% resolved. Also these patches contain other fixes and improvements too. Thanks all

Some updates regarding the PS4 patches

The automatic crash reporting must be a godsend for developers, especially since you can include video clips leading up to it too.

Akronis

PC owners in findings the game would be released 3 days after the OS4 version: Wahhhhhh!!!

PC owners after the release: it's a POS, too buggy, we're alleys testers, should have delayed the release and fixed the bugs.

OT: I noticed a 1.04 patch on PS4 last night so I'm assuming point 4 in those notes was applied - only text in the notes is 'Bug fixes'.

Right, because we just should just accept buggy $60 games as they are and never complain.

What is your point here? Just trying to ruffle feathers?

Yukinari

All the coverage from youtubers about how bad the performance was at launch probably means these patches are too late honestly.

Maybe they should have made the game functional with those delays.

glad they are working on the crashes, I personally ahvent ran into much of them though - really looking forward to their first content patch

KooopaKid

Banned
Stranded in Space Station

If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.

lol fantastic game design right there

theRizzle

Improved Performance

On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved.
On CPUs with exactly 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.

Sorry hexa-core owners?

Top Bottom