• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

Oozer3993

So my freighter can no hold a fleet of ships? That are specialized? So I can tool around a galaxy with Jay Leno's Space Garage?!? *faints*

Just played a bit, visuals improved greatly.

Gonna wait till I finished other games so I have a several days to work myself into the new systems and such.

AEdouard

once upon a time, I was super hyped for this game.... luckily it changed as things started smelling fishy the closer they came to release... thank god I never bought it.

I think I will only touch it, if they add mmorpg level multiplayer where you can travel with friends on planets, meet new people and battle dangerous foes together

Well, that's never going to happen. I love how they never actually answered the question: Can you see other players? That's sad, but hilarious too I guess.

Predwolf

Tried permadeath, died within minutes on my first planet due to 75C standing temps and no caves to hide in on my trip to find my ship. Love it!

They had me at "trade in current ships for a discount." FINALLY. I'm sitting on 100 million, I think, so it's not like I'm strapped for cash, but I've stuck with the same 48-slot fighter I've had since week 2 just because it's prohibitively expensive to buy anything new. I wouldn't mind a different look for my ship.

So my freighter can no hold a fleet of ships? That are specialized? So I can tool around a galaxy with Jay Leno's Space Garage?!? *faints*

How does this work? I mean, you can't salvage a downed ship, claim it, and keep control of your old one, can you? Do you have to purchase ships as they land on your freighter, and now it's yours (with no trade-in since the goal is amassing a fleet, not upgrading the one you have)? Can you improve the stats on a current ship so if you see a nice 45-slotter, you can still max it?

Some quick impressions:

- Added music is excellent
- Graphics improved, but don't expect any miracles. It's looks a bit better.
- Photo mode is excellent, with lots of options.
- It actually snows on snow planets (didn't before, did it?)
- Thanks to Photo mode, we finally get to see our ships in flight :)

Y3KTdMa.jpg

svmbVMW.jpg

Flipyap

Just played a bit, visuals improved greatly.
Oh boy, do I disagree. It looks really rough on PS4 right now.
Yes, they've added a lot of new shiny shaders and textures, but now it looks like a misguided mod that tried to make a heavily stylized game look "realistic." Everything looks oversaturated, overly contrasted AND overexposed.
There are so many issues with the way ambient occlusion interacts with patches of grass (especially when viewed at any kind of angle), it makes the game look absolutely horrible.

This is my home planet before:

And after the patch:

I really wish I could revert it to the previous version. :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry if this has already been asked...

What's it run like on PC now?

I have a Surface Book i7 with the dGPU and it can run games that look comparable reasonably well (I don't expect miracles and I don't mind having low quality graphics as long as there's a decent framerate).

I tried it about a month ago and it was horrendous. Is it any better yet? Or is it a Surface Book thing? Posts I've read elsewhere suggest that it's not been optimised very well for PC.

Saiyan-Rox

Noice starting to download now on steam

Probably gonna start from the begining again....i swear ive started over 5 times and have yet to get to the centre because i have no idea what i'm doing. or following the atlas path.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, they've added a lot of new shiny shaders and textures, but now it looks like a misguided mod that tried to make a heavily stylized game look "realistic." Everything looks oversaturated, overly contrasted AND overexposed.
There are so many issues with the way ambient occlusion interacts with patches of grass (especially when viewed at any kind of angle), it makes the game look absolutely horrible.

This is my home planet before:

And after the patch:

I really wish I could revert it to the previous version. :(
I kinda miss the piss filter too

BSpot

For what it's worth, if you dislike the current vibrant art, there are a shit ton of filters you can use in the options menu. I'm sure you could drab it down...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think it's a good sign for HG when a day-1 purchaser, who grew apathetic post launch, is getting this excited about their major updates. They gained *some* goodwill after Foundation, and if this update is just as robust they'll gain some more. I'm at the level where if then wave have some paid DLC I might buy a thing or two.

Installed the patch and did a quick runaround and I liked what I saw. It's definitely more vibrant and there are a lot of little, subtle touches to the UI I like. It's more pleasant all around.

BSpot

Someone should write, like a "welcome back" guide for lost-ass motherfuckers, like me, who don't know what the hell to do now that I've been away for like 9 months...

From the shots I've seen so far, it does seem to have less of that painterly sci-fi book cover now, which is disappointing. I'm not sure why they messed with the graphical look; I thought they nailed it with Foundation. It's like they're trying to veer more towards a realistic Elite look? I haven't seen it in person yet though, maybe it depends on the atmosphere of particular planets.

And love the new flash when freighters warp:
1jPRk3.gif

That does look cool, though I'd maybe dial it down a bit.

If they can ever figure out a way to make the worlds spectacular (like the early trailers) then they will have truly fulfilled the vision of the game.

This is still the biggest problem! It's nice that they add a lot of things, really. But then you land on a planet, walk a few hundred meters and have seen everything there is, rest of the planet is just the same things over and over again. It's kind of frustrating.

At least more variation in landscapes would be nice

This update looks phenomenal.

Hello Games have really turned this around, No Man's Sky is a great game with a great future ahead of it.
Yeah, it's crazy to see the improvements they've made over only two big updates. I'm glad they stuck with it and are slowly piecing things together

I loved the base game while still seeing it's obvious faults, but this is all coming together to become something pretty special. It's a shame that the launch was so rough and the reaction was so violent that a lot of people have probably written this off forever

I still enjoy this game, and the updates have been really good, but of all the complaints people level at this game, the only thing I've been wanting added is the ability to fly unrestricted around the landscapes. I don't like the nerfed flying :( More than anything it dampens the fun that can be had.

Flipyap

For what it's worth, if you dislike the current vibrant art, there are a shit ton of filters you can use in the options menu. I'm sure you could drab it down...
That's a really silly way to put it (I don't know how anyone could think that No Man's Sky's color palette ever looked "drab"), but thanks for pointing that out.

From the shots I've seen so far, it does seem to have less of that painterly sci-fi book cover now, which is disappointing. I'm not sure why they messed with the graphical look; I thought they nailed it with Foundation. It's like they're trying to veer more towards a realistic Elite look? I haven't seen it in person yet though, maybe it depends on the atmosphere of particular planets.
Exactly, that retro sci-fi look was always key to what I thought of as "the No Man's Sky experience."
Luckily, the "Vintage" screen filter appears to be what the game used up to this point. Disabling it by default seems like a bad idea when the game's "AI art director" was surely designed to generate planets with that specific look.
Punching up the contrast is one thing, but my home planet went from having beautifully matched pastel tones to a neon mess under a blindingly white sky. It felt like a different place entirely.

Unknown?

I liked it when it came out but after a week I got bored. However I came back with foundation and this is another great addition. I'd say this is finally a great game worth trying! Who knows what will be in it a year from now!

Also on Pro in 4K it looks freaking amazing!! So much better than the jagged mess it was at launch.

Foxxsoxx

This is still the biggest problem! It's nice that they add a lot of things, really. But then you land on a planet, walk a few hundred meters and have seen everything there is, rest of the planet is just the same things over and over again. It's kind of frustrating.

At least more variation in landscapes would be nice

This.

Exactly, that retro sci-fi look was always key to what I thought of as "the No Man's Sky experience."
Luckily, the "Vintage" screen filter appears to be what the game used up to this point. Disabling it by default seems like a bad idea when the game's "AI art director" was surely designed to generate planets with that specific look.

Ah, good to hear the old look is a filter we can apply. Agreed that it's strange they would not use that as the default though. Maybe the AD lost a bet.

senahorse

As a big critic of the vanilla game, I welcome these content updates. Kudos to them for keeping at it and implementing all these fixes and features. Still not enough to get me to play again but I look forward to watching this game evolve.

gossi

Although the patch notes don't say it, the game now runs at 4K *with HDR* and an unlocked frame rate on PS4 Pro.

I've verified HDR myself. I've also captured footage myself to measure fps, it is all over the place. HDR implementation looks stunning.

I might play this one day when it gets close to the original promise. The main pull for me though was the simulated expansive Universe, not just a bunch of small rooms with balls in them. I can't see that being fixed but you never know.

Their sales pitch bullshit cannot be forgotten but props to them for chipping away at it still.

Yeah, it's crazy to see the improvements they've made over only two big updates. I'm glad they stuck with it and are slowly piecing things together

I loved the base game while still seeing it's obvious faults, but this is all coming together to become something pretty special. It's a shame that the launch was so rough and the reaction was so violent that a lot of people have probably written this off forever

I think they just need to make more enhancements that affect the early hours of play. A lot of these features are really cool for the games late-game but new players don't see many benefits.

gfxtwin

I'll get back to this once they patch
in SOMETHING that you can visit at the center of the galaxy, ideally a supermassive black hole at least.

Oni Jazar

Someone tell me this isn't the norm.

Someone tell me this isn't the norm.

It's the default, but apparently one of the visual filters you can apply is "Vintage" and that seems to be how the game looked before this update.

Haven't tried it yet, but apparently this update does let you fly lower to the ground, according to this reddit post. Great news for us PS4 owners!
"Atmospheric low-flight has been adjusted and improved"
I have now tried it in game .. And oh boy has it ever changed for the better. For a long time it seemed they would never change this, so glad they did.
I can now fly low, between a rock formation creating a canyon, and bounce off the rocks causing damage to the ship = Flying is now exciting and makes for a far better experience. Even in the very first ship in normal mode, with no ship upgrades, you are going to get a cautious approach to flying, as if its your own car being careful not to scratch a panel, bend a fender or rip a side mirror off.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So this is a great update but some change somewhere has really tanked my PC performance. Was running mostly max settings before with TAA and getting mostly 60. I have 980ti and 6700k. Now its a lot choppier. What is the new killer setting?

So this is a great update but some change somewhere has really tanked my PC performance. Was running mostly max settings before with TAA and getting mostly 60. I have 980ti and 6700k. Now its a lot choppier. What is the new killer setting?
I've read that the God Rays and HBAO are fps killers

Top Bottom