• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

No mods at all. Normal Mode.

I'm sure there is a reddit zoo page that records the biggest species found. That one must be a contender.

Has anyone got any advice for space battles? I got into a bit of a ruckus with a couple of hostile fighters for the first time and felt helpless in combat.

Arlen777

So just to clarify, when moving to a new base i will get back 50% of resources that i spent building a base?
What about resources that are in storage containers? 50% ? Or all of them?

Within the same file, I searched for 'asteroid' as I was hoping to find something regarding landing asteroids or something more. This is what I found;

Code:
[B]BLAZE JAVELIN DRILL ARRAY THETA
Blaze Javelin Companion Unit[/B]
Improves the Multi-tool's Blaze Javelin Weapon mode mining capability by a large amount so that it can be used to mine asteroids

Now I don't know about this new Blaze Javelin update to the Multi-tool from the Path Finder update, but these specific lines mention that these will add the ability to mine asteroids. The reason I think this hints towards landing on asteroids is this is in regards to the multi-tool for mining asteroid, not ship so it must mean we will be able to land on an asteroid and walk about (thus using the Multi-Tool).

Yup, I actually just talked about finding this in the game on the previous page. :p
This guy was selling something named like a "Javelin Boost Array Theta" upgrade for the multi-tool, which states that it "upgrades the power of the javelin weapon so that it can be used for mining asteroids." Mining asteroids? With a multi-tool? How does that work? A bug, or is this letting slip some future spacewalking feature?

The Blaze Javelin was mentioned on the Path Finder update page; I think it's supposed to be a railgun or sniper rifle type of ground combat weapon. So I too was perplexed when I read that it can be used to mine asteroids. It definitely seems like they've (intentionally?) let the cat out of the bag.

Yup, I actually just talked about finding this in the game on the previous page. :p

The Blaze Javelin was mentioned on the Path Finder update page; I think it's supposed to be a railgun or sniper rifle type of ground combat weapon. So I too was perplexed when I read that it can be used to mine asteroids. It definitely seems like they've (intentionally?) let the cat out of the bag.
Or mine asteroids from the planet's surface lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If they are going to let us space walk and mine asteroids then it makes sense they'll likely add some kind of material you can only farm from asteroids with your multi-tool, otherwise it ends up just being a novelty when it should also be a necessity.

Danlord

Oh nice one, apologies for not noticing your post I kinda brushed past a lot of the posts given there's so many.

I think this could have been intentional as a little Easter egg for people data mining similarly how they left in the buggy details after the Foundation update.
I do think they have done this intentionally because they could've easily removed the appropriate text and we'd be none the wiser.

Murray talked about landing on asteroids before launch and since the past 2 major content updates have been adding in features that were talked about/hinted pre-release, I think it's very plausible 1.30 will add asteroid traversal and mining 😀

Context:

So I finished Horizon, platinumed and explored a ton and I don't want to replay it (I'm dying to do so) because I wanna save it for when I get a 4K TV, besides, Andromeda is around the corner.

I've played about 40hs of vanilla NMS and enjoyed it a lot until I got bored. I wasn't going to come back until a couple of more patches but considering I've nothing to play until Andromeda, I downloaded it.

Recommend me:

What mode should I play considering I'll be only playing for a week (say 20 to 30hs at most), and what should I pay attention this time?

Never reached the center of the galaxy, I barely visited three or four solar systems in vanilla because I loved exploring my planets.

mokeyjoe

Four days later...

Players online: 6,318

Yep. People obviously still care about the game, but it doesn't have legs. It will drop steadily over the next few weeks, as before.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. Fun as this update is, i think it still needs more in the way of objectives and variety in order to keep people playing over the long term.

I actually do think it will get there, but until then I'll be hoping each new update is 'the one'. Survival mode was the biggest step in the right direction yet, and it was fun, but after 150 hours i need something more to persuade me to continue to explore.

Right now i think they've definitely improved it enough to make new players happy over 50-100 hours. By now though, most players are way beyond that.

I actually think what they need to crack is the ability for the game to generate more interesting emergent experience, it's not the scripted parts that keep players playing these sorts of games. It needs to be more dynamic and less rote. Stuff like the new crash landings are a small step in the right direction, but ultimately it's things like physics, AI, and just greater variety, that'll give the game the necessary longevity.

Context:

So I finished Horizon, platinumed and explored a ton and I don't want to replay it (I'm dying to do so) because I wanna save it for when I get a 4K TV, besides, Andromeda is around the corner.

I've played about 40hs of vanilla NMS and enjoyed it a lot until I got bored. I wasn't going to come back until a couple of more patches but considering I've nothing to play until Andromeda, I downloaded it.

Recommend me:

What mode should I play considering I'll be only playing for a week (say 20 to 30hs at most), and what should I pay attention this time?

Never reached the center of the galaxy, I barely visited three or four solar systems in vanilla because I loved exploring my planets.

If you've played vanilla then without a doubt you should try Survival. It can be rock hard at the start (depends on RNG somewhat), but it's the most rewarding mode imo. and over a week i think it's enough time to get yourself established with a base and vehicles and stuff.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Context:

Recommend me:

Survivor is the way to go, but when you start, understand it's not going to be THAT hard for the remainder of your playtime. Upgrading makes it easier as you progress. I died 5 times when I first started Survivor and since then they've made it slightly more likely you'll always have the resources available to survive, even if a little rare.

If they are going to let us space walk and mine asteroids then it makes sense they'll likely add some kind of material you can only farm from asteroids with your multi-tool, otherwise it ends up just being a novelty when it should also be a necessity.

Yeah...while it would be cool to float around in space or walking around on an asteroid, I question how much a benefit to the gameplay it would provide. And if it's just to gate another resource, I'm not sure I'd like that...it's already kind of a pain to seek out planets to mine specific things to craft items. But it certainly would be cool to land on an asteroid and hide from people, Empire Strikes Back style.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. Fun as this update is, i think it still needs more in the way of objectives and variety in order to keep people playing over the long term.

I actually do think it will get there, but until then I'll be hoping each new update is 'the one'. Survival mode was the biggest step in the right direction yet, and it was fun, but after 150 hours i need something more to persuade me to continue to explore.

Right now i think they've definitely improved it enough to make new players happy over 50-100 hours. By now though, most players are way beyond that.

I actually think what they need to crack is the ability for the game to generate more interesting emergent experience, it's not the scripted parts that keep players playing these sorts of games. It needs to be more dynamic and less rote. Stuff like the new crash landings are a small step in the right direction, but ultimately it's things like physics, AI, and just greater variety, that'll give the game the necessary longevity.

Yeah, right now in terms of game characters, the biggest characters in NMS are the planets themselves. I think making NPCs have more influence in a player's experience would help, whether that's handing out jobs, NPCs that you hire to carry out tasks for you, or named NPCs that work with you on missions (by joining a faction or pirate org). Right now the different game pillars (combat, exploration, trading, survival) don't intertwine much; if they can change that, it could lead to more sustaining and engaging experiences.

Thanks! I'll play survivor then and see how it goes. I'll start tomorrow after work.

I've heard survival can be really rough, so it depends what kind of experience you're looking for. If you haven't played since pre-Foundation, there's quite a lot of new quests for building your base and getting the vehicles. I won't say the quests are very exciting, but they do give you more directed goals. Since you like exploration, I think even just seeing how much the planets have changed since vanilla you could rack up a couple dozen hours. So it really depends if you want a chill experience or a challenge.

Unicorn

Oh man, there's some interesting mods coming out now.

The megalith mod and constructs mod as well as extreme landscape (i think that's the name?) are all opening up options for new things to discover. I think at this point they are probably novelty and not well balanced or suited for play (haven't tried them), but they are super promising for helping Hello Games with generating content and breadth for the game.

I am in a 48 slot ship (thanks to the early bug that gave you unlimited ship locations) , however after updating to these patches I can't find any 48 slot ships for trading.

Every space station / freighter I look at has considerably less slots . Is this normal ?

So just to clarify, when moving to a new base i will get back 50% of resources that i spent building a base?
What about resources that are in storage containers? 50% ? Or all of them?

You get back everything that's in your containers. Put them in your new base and everything is there for you.

Seiniyta

Hello Games teased the vehicle in the code after the foundation update, so yeah. Seems like their way of letting us know what's coming next is intentionally leaving in some code for future stuff.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The monument of it had existed since launch, but their functionality as a portal hasn't ever worked.

Yeah, I found 9 of them after going though 5 galaxies ...

People were asking if they were still there and I certainly haven't come across any since the last two updates.

SomTervo

Some screen shots from this planet I found that's loaded with all kinds of crazy shit:

I named this planet "Zootopia" for obvious reasons:
fyADy4u.jpg

Here's another shot from the same planet to show the scale of the one Dino-Alien I found (note the legs of the huge creature on the right of the pic):
HLlkJAa.jpg

Those are the biggest damn creatures I found in NMS to date. You can see them when you're flying over the surface off in the distance.

I remember seeing creatures almost this big back in the first week of the game's release. No one believed me and continued the "everything in the trailer was a lie" narrative.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I remember seeing creatures almost this big back in the first week of the game's release. No one believed me and continued the "everything in the trailer was a lie" narrative.

Same here but what can you say? People STILL to this day don't understand how their experience can be different as they travel through 18 quintillion planets. It astonishes me to be honest.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
There's something with this game.....I don't know if its just since this new update that added 4K and HDR support since I'm just starting it now.

This game has my PS4 Pro's fans running audibly loud almost the whole time, and really loud everytime I go into the inventory screen. Seeing as we spend a lot of time (from what I can tell) in the inventory screen in this game, this concerns me.

For comparison, it's not my PS4 Pro with an issue because i'm also playing Horizon in 4K HDR and I never hear my fan at all after playing it for over 2 hrs. The only time I hear the fan in horizon is when I go on the map screen, and then it instantly stops once I leave. With NMS, it seems to be almost constant. I'm hoping they can do something about this because I have concerns about playing any game that keeps my well ventilated open PS4 Pro's fans in high mode almost constantly.

I finally found one of those cotton candy planets =D

Man, I'm so happy! Found a base high up with an overlook over some valleys below. This place has open fields of pink and purple grasses, jungles in the lowlands with the odd pool of water, and the hills and skylines are outlined by those snake-like rock formations. I used to hate those, but now I'm excited about building a race track along them! Some of them even have rock hoops that encircle them (image below).

I also love exploring the barren planets now. They seem to have some of the more interesting rock formations going on:

I've heard survival can be really rough, so it depends what kind of experience you're looking for. If you haven't played since pre-Foundation, there's quite a lot of new quests for building your base and getting the vehicles. I won't say the quests are very exciting, but they do give you more directed goals. Since you like exploration, I think even just seeing how much the planets have changed since vanilla you could rack up a couple dozen hours. So it really depends if you want a chill experience or a challenge.

Mmm fair point, I don't know if I want a challenge right now really...

Man, I'm so happy! Found a base high up with an overlook over some valleys below. This place has open fields of pink and purple grasses, jungles in the lowlands with the odd pool of water, and the hills and skylines are outlined by those snake-like rock formations. I used to hate those, but now I'm excited about building a race track along them! Some of them even have rock hoops that encircle them (image below).

I also love exploring the barren planets now. They seem to have some of the more interesting rock formations going on:

I actually found a similar planet and built a new home base yesterday, thick pink grass and lots of interesting caves, looks wonderful.

That's a pretty awesome shot, looks almost straight up like a Roger Dean painting:
V4IadAd.jpg

SomTervo

Same here but what can you say? People STILL to this day don't understand how their experience can be different as they travel through 18 quintillion planets. It astonishes me to be honest.

I know.

I actually found a similar planet and built a new home base yesterday, thick pink grass and lots of interesting caves, looks wonderful.

That's a pretty awesome shot, looks almost straight up like a Roger Dean painting:
V4IadAd.jpg

That is awesome.

Holy shit that last planet, is the photo touched up? Because it looks awesome. My eyes are sore with so many plain red planets :(

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
oh wow, so is this game good yet?

Seems like something cool for my little one to get into.

It is really good with plenty of content. Since the two updates LOTS has changed about the game loop too and there's far more structure and intent to its design. The graphics have had a huge boost too, which is a bonus.

Holy shit that last planet, is the photo touched up? Because it looks awesome. My eyes are sore with so many plain red planets :(

No touch-ups, no reshade or anything. It's running at medium textures and high shadows on PC to boost performance as much as possible. Ultra kills my framerate and causes massive stuttering, with Afterburner reporting the game trying to use over 4 million MBs of RAM. I'm not sure what happened with the latest patch, but at least the game still looks good at the right angles =P

But yeah, barren planets have some really awesome formations going on.

I finally found a lush planet so I built a base , only the joy for me is to explore and not sit on one planet . So I hope the new patch lets me build rovers on other planets , so I can keep exploring the galaxy . Would be nice to have a reason to explore single planets more but once you've see what it has to offer and unless your planning on staying to mine I don't really see a need for a base.

Will definitely try it out in creative though as I would like to see all the parts and some people have done some really creative bases .

I have always loved what this game offers from day 1 , but new features like photo mode really hammer home how gorgeous and ambitious this game is .

There really is no other game like it , and I am always fascinated by the tech behind it all, would love to see them continue on with it for years to come as it is an amazing base to build from.

1.22 is up! 4.816GB. Don't know what's in it yet, probably the experimental patch stuff.
Wow, another update so soon, HG putting in that work. C'mon remote play control fix! Though since I just submitted information about two or three days ago, and likely I'm one voice out of thousands, I doubt my suggestion made the cut. I'll scope it out later tonight for sure.

I honestly want more wok done on creatures than anything else, in particular where they can be found. It just never really made any sense to me why on my lush, grassy, forested Earth-like water planet with perfect temperatures, there's no a single living organism, yet I visit the red barren noxious planet of death and its teeming with life. It breaks immersion for me. There has to be a way for checks to be made during planet creation that states whether or not life is viable or not.

Hystzen

The patch is probably re downloading old update as a quick fix. I doubt it anything major maybe some assets for future updates.

Hopefully they not fixed the free freighter bug for saving them from pirates

calder

I decided to pop back in yesterday for the first time in months and wow I don't remember how to do *anything*. Took me forever just to remember how to open the galaxy map.

One annoying thing is I think I left my old save in a weird spot. I get attacked by pirates or whatever basically every system I visit and I'm low on everything so it's all a struggle. I don't have a base or any idea what I need to get ramped up so I started looking for worlds to settle on but every planet I've found that says is suitable for a base is in some way less than ideal - either very risky temps or acidic or something. I just want a base on a planet I can explore without melting!

OuterLimits

Pirate attacks became a bit more manageable when I realized the ship dash let's you know 15-20 seconds before hand. Granted, sometimes I don't notice it, or I'm too far away from a planet anyway to interrupt the countdown. Overall though, it made my life easier on survival. I think I played for months not realizing your ship starts a countdown for pirate scans.

Few questions:

How do races work? Straight line from point A to B or can you set up barriers as track borders? What happens if the vehicle goes over?

Also, I thought I remember hearing that if you deform the terrain, it stays that way and cave growth spawns. Is that true? Getting to and from my base is a pain because of the canyony terrain. I'd like to "pave" a nice entrance if that was possible.

Is the end game event still an incredible let down?

The End Game for NMS is basically the moment you start playing the game.

IMO - when you get bored or tried of playing NMS, THEN you go to the Center of the Galaxy to call it quits.
(The game doesn't end there, btw. It's basically a soft "reset button".)

I'm having more fun now, just staying on one planet, building up a base and jogging back and forth between the other nearby planets then I was system-hopping to the center of the galaxy.

Top Bottom