• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
they're in the tech menu when you press up on the d-pad, under exocraft. maybe you have to be by any outpost. I landed at one of the spaceports and tried it, for what it's worth

Oh, for Gods sake. I know they are but for some reason I pressed down and then turned it off to come here.

vpance

Not sure about the usefulness of the colossus exocraft. It's got a lot of slots, but it's too slow and hard to maneuver.

I like the hovercraft though. Still, I'm not seeing the point of them yet aside from being deuterium finders. So they forced in a new resource and unique mining tool to make them needed. Also, did they nerf the plutonium availability to encourage us to use them more over the ship or what? It's so hard to find now. Also doesn't help that the scanner has become unreliable, missing things in the vicinity.

OuterLimits

The Plasma Launcher glitch seems to be fixed. It's no longer shooting the mining laser briefly before firing.

Edit. Although now on very rare occasions, the plasma launcher is firing when I'm trying to use the mining laser. Lol.

The Plasma Launcher glitch seems to be fixed. It's no longer shooting the mining laser briefly before firing.
That was so annoying. I've got a "shotgun" upgrade in my rifle (I know, badly done, but it destroys everything) and I only get two shots before I have to reload. Upholstering my weapon and firing blindly is a pain, especially since it would happen frequently due to being on hostile planets

Minamu

Has anyone heard anything about slot upgrades for the vehicles? Looking at the water vehicle for instance, it looks like there are enough space to add more slots somehow since they're kinda randomly placed.

Kind of wish planets have more than 1 type of environment.
Omg, I've never thought of this :lol Kinda hilarious when you think about it. Planets are more like realms then.

Unrelated, but I think I've run out of reasons to play the game again :/ My base is at 99% complexity due to the farm, and I don't want to remove that income just to get a nicer looking house. All quests, inlcuding the vehicles are done, and the vehicles are fully upgraded where reasonable. Though I just realized I don't have the platinum trohpy I guess.

Not sure about the usefulness of the colossus exocraft. It's got a lot of slots, but it's too slow and hard to maneuver.

I like the hovercraft though. Still, I'm not seeing the point of them yet aside from being deuterium finders. So they forced in a new resource and unique mining tool to make them needed. Also, did they nerf the plutonium availability to encourage us to use them more over the ship or what? It's so hard to find now. Also doesn't help that the scanner has become unreliable, missing things in the vicinity.
Possibly, but the plutonium change was made many months ago.

Omg, I've never thought of this :lol Kinda hilarious when you think about it. Planets are more like realms then.

Unrelated, but I think I've run out of reasons to play the game again :/ My base is at 99% complexity due to the farm, and I don't want to remove that income just to get a nicer looking house. All quests, inlcuding the vehicles are done, and the vehicles are fully upgraded where reasonable. Though I just realized I don't have the platinum trohpy I guess.

Hehe. It's my biggest pet peeve with sci-fi (desert planet, forest planet, snow planet, etc). I think NMS restricts itself to single biomes for hardware reasons as much as anything else though. Having to constantly stream and load textures for multiple different environments at once would probably be too much. Fingers crossed for NMS2 on the PS5 though!

Multiple bases seems like a no-brainer for a future patch. Especially if they can add even more customization options. Beyond that I think they need to improve gameplay variety: add more combat options with pirates (not just in space flight but on planets on foot, and in freighters so you could take them by force); expand the ruins on planets so you have big ruins to explore; add rare giant creatures like that infamous sand worm etc. I feel like Pathfinder has massively improved mobility on planets, especially with the new update letting us take vehicles anywhere, but they still need to give us more to actually do on planets.

I wonder when they start dropping paid dlc. Like paying for the exact type of ship/freighter you want with real money. Doesn't seem like a shady practice to me but I'm sure NMS haters will have a field day...

Hoodbury

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with protecting freighters from space pirates? I kill all the pirates and then I get a little 'quest' text in the lower right saying to go talk to the Captain of the freighter. But the freighter doesn't let me in, the entrance area is still red. Eventually more pirates come and I repeat the process but I can't get in. Eventually I run out of Iron to replenish my shields and I die and then when I spawn back the freighters are gone.

vpance

Certain planets must have gotten nerfed further then. My home planet used to have a nice dependable stash right outside the base and now I need to hike/fly a min or two to find any.

Anyways, I was planning on moving. Getting tired of these extreme sentinels.

Deadstar

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with protecting freighters from space pirates? I kill all the pirates and then I get a little 'quest' text in the lower right saying to go talk to the Captain of the freighter. But the freighter doesn't let me in, the entrance area is still red. Eventually more pirates come and I repeat the process but I can't get in. Eventually I run out of Iron to replenish my shields and I die and then when I spawn back the freighters are gone.

A blue door normally opens on the top side of the freighter. There should be a marker telling you where to go.

It's apparently a bug where either some of your own lasers have grazed the friendly freighter during the shootout, or even more likely another NPC friendly ship has done that, so the freighter is stuck in an "angry at friendlies" loop. Not sure if there's a fix for that apart from trying again on a different location with a different freighter and a different distress event.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There is a marker but the door stays a red glowish and I just bump into it. Guessing it just glitched a couple times in a row for me?

Check other freighters in the area.

On another note, they need to cripple the vehicles somehow because being able to use vehicles on every planet is game breaking. Why would I even bother to upgrade my suit again? I don't need to because I can just stay in my vehicle. Bad, bad move.

Hoodbury

It's apparently a bug where either some of your own lasers have grazed the friendly freighter during the shootout, or even more likely another NPC friendly ship has done that, so the freighter is stuck in an "angry at friendlies" loop. Not sure if there's a fix for that apart from trying again on a different location with a different freighter and a different distress event.

Ah, ya that's what I was thinking it was. The second time I tried to be extra careful not to shoot while facing the freighter but maybe another friendly did.

Next question, are the vehicles really faster than moving on foot? Maybe it's the scale but they just don't feel that fast. I feel like when I do the sprint+melee+jetpack trick to move quickly I am going way faster than when driving around in the vehicles. Especially the colossus. And the speed burst on the vehicles doesn't seem to speed up things, I watched the time it takes to get to a market and when I used the boost it didn't change the time to arrive any.

mokeyjoe

On another note, they need to cripple the vehicles somehow because being able to use vehicles on every planet is game breaking. Why would I even bother to upgrade my suit again? I don't need to because I can just stay in my vehicle. Bad, bad move.

Yeah, I always thought this. But they're bound to nerf it, so go nuts while you can.

Personally I think the vehicles need their own damage like ships, and if they're broken you need to fix them, or be stranded. Seeing as you can get so far from your ship in the vehicles that would be quite a risk.

Vehicles are OP right now for sure.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There is a marker but the door stays a red glowish and I just bump into it. Guessing it just glitched a couple times in a row for me?
I've had the same problem. The few freighter rescue missions I've tried since the Pathfinder update went live have all had the same problem. Sounds like its a glitch with the new update, or parameters for mission completion have changed in some way that's not clear to either of us.

mokeyjoe

Ah, ya that's what I was thinking it was. The second time I tried to be extra careful not to shoot while facing the freighter but maybe another friendly did.

Next question, are the vehicles really faster than moving on foot? Maybe it's the scale but they just don't feel that fast. I feel like when I do the sprint+melee+jetpack trick to move quickly I am going way faster than when driving around in the vehicles. Especially the colossus. And the speed burst on the vehicles doesn't seem to speed up things, I watched the time it takes to get to a market and when I used the boost it didn't change the time to arrive any.

The hovercraft definitely seems faster to me, but the vehicles present other advantages. Protection from the elements, travelling across (or under) water, extra inventory (colossus).

The biggest benefit is in Survival mode though, as it saves your life support. Melee boosting is risky in survival - vehicles really open up exploration in that mode. It's the 'fix' I've been waiting for.

I've had the same problem. The few freighter rescue missions I've tried since the Pathfinder update went live have all had the same problem. Sounds like its a glitch with the new update, or parameters for mission completion have changed in some way that's not clear to either of us.

That's odd. It's been working just fine for me. Probably is a bug if you're definitely trying to board the right freighter, but I have no idea what might be causing it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Vehicles still need fuel and they're not available from the start of the game. You need to put in significant work to get to the point where you even have a vehicle and then you can still easily run out of fuel depending on what kind of trip you're trying to take given the planet's resource availability.

mokeyjoe

Vehicles still need fuel and they're not available from the start of the game. You need to put in significant work to get to the point where you even have a vehicle and then you can still easily run out of fuel depending on what kind of trip you're trying to take given the planet's resource availability.

Yeah - playing the update now and there are a few other things.

Firstly you need to build an exobay each time, which requires a dynamic resonator and a few other things, if you dismantle it away from your base you don't get the resources back - so it's not free to build vehicles.

Also the mining laser and cannon now need recharging with Plutonium, Thamium, or Carbon.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, I always thought this. But they're bound to nerf it, so go nuts while you can.

Personally I think the vehicles need their own damage like ships, and if they're broken you need to fix them, or be stranded. Seeing as you can get so far from your ship in the vehicles that would be quite a risk.

This is what they need to do: On every planet there's a special calling point. This calling point cannot be scanned for and the only way of finding one is just coming upon one (that would add a little excitement to finding one). These are rental stations and you then have to pay by the hour. Make the payment the new currency. Can't recall the name of it. When the rental runs out, the vehicle disappears, leaving you stranded, unless you can find another calling station to replenish your rental.

This is what they need to do: On every planet there's a special calling point. This calling point cannot be scanned for and the only way of finding one is just coming upon one (that would add a little excitement to finding one). These are rental stations and you then have to pay by the hour. Make the payment the new currency. Can't recall the name of it. When the rental runs out, the vehicle disappears, unless you can find another calling station to replenish your rental.
No way. I can't stand rental services.

Besides, that would just add a pointless timer to exploration which amounts to "how far can I get before time runs out?" No point in "punishing" the use of vehicles when using one doesn't really break the game loop.

vpance

Way too slow and cumbersome to be OP at the moment I think.

I know what Sean wants us to be doing though. Land on a planet, build exocrafts and slowly traverse the terrain finding stuff. This must be the reason behind the sparseness of resources to make flying your ship everywhere prohibitive.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
This is what they need to do: On every planet there's a special calling point. This calling point cannot be scanned for and the only way of finding one is just coming upon one (that would add a little excitement to finding one). These are rental stations and you then have to pay by the hour. Make the payment the new currency. Can't recall the name of it. When the rental runs out, the vehicle disappears, leaving you stranded, unless you can find another calling station to replenish your rental.
notlikethis.jpg

How about this: Don't make exovehicles indestructible, give them a damage rating like ships that can be affected by the kind of terrain or conditions you encounter, how reckless you drive (no more massive jumps), how many iron deposits you plowed through, etc., etc.

Edit: That probably help with the complaint about colossus exocraft not being distinguished enough to bother with. So make it able to take the highest damage of the bunch, then it more clearly distinguishes itself as the long haul vehicle of the bunch.

notlikethis.jpg

How about this: Don't make exovehicles indestructible, give them a damage rating like ships that can be affected by the kind of terrain or conditions you encounter, how reckless you drive (no more massive jumps), how many iron deposits you plowed through, etc., etc.
This is good.

Flipyap

I like the hovercraft though. Still, I'm not seeing the point of them yet aside from being deuterium finders.
They're how you mine rigogen in style.
rNms1XA.png
JPBSmww.png

They also enables deep sea exploration.

And good ol' relaxation with some space friends.

Exocraft. Craft yours today.

Now that we can spawn them on non-base planets, they're a lot more useful. For instance, I have a planet I visit to mine Rubeum. I can only carry so much in my exosuit, but with the Colossus I can go on a mining run and fill up its 24 slots without having to make trips back to my ship. Of course that means I'll need a bigger ship to carry it all...

I don't know if the other two will be useful, but the hovercraft might make a good scout when landing on a new planet, or searching for animals. Certainly it's better for underwater exploration than the suit.

Nice shot. Are god rays only available on PC or PS4 Pro? I haven't seen them on my base PS4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
notlikethis.jpg

Edit: That probably help with the complaint about colossus exocraft not being distinguished enough to bother with. So make it able to take the highest damage of the bunch, then it more clearly distinguishes itself as the long haul vehicle of the bunch.

People would just drive more carefully. This new addition completely destroys the point of both Survival mode and Permadeath. Once you've got your vehicles, it's game over. A very bad move.

vpance

They're how you mine rigogen in style.

They also enables deep sea exploration.

And good ol' relaxation with some space friends.

Exocraft. Craft yours today.

Fuck, no way! And here I am still drowning my ass off for rigogen like a caveman.

As much as I love the vehicles, the amount of creatures I've accidentally killed either by ploughing straight through because I didn't see them, or landing on their heads after a massive jump. Its a massacre out there!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
People would just drive more carefully. This new addition completely destroys the point of both Survival mode and Permadeath. Once you've got your vehicles, it's game over. A very bad move.
I think you're jumping to conclusions here. For one thing, there are plenty of planets I've encountered where you could easily strike out in a direction and find no resources to fuel the vehicles before they run out, and now this update apparently introduces fuel for the weapons and mining laser as well. Second, saying people would just "drive more carefully" gives way more credit than I would to the average gamer's patience with many of the types of terrain and obstacles this game throws at you, not to mention that it undermines the value of using an exovehicle in the first place.

Not that this is particularly hard to solve - just include a wear-and-tear element to vehicle damage for Survival and Permadeath modes, or in general. Just putting miles on a vehicle slowly degrades its health and you can even set the rate of degradation higher or lower based on surface conditions - add or reduce modifiers based on extreme heat/cold, dust, acid rain, etc. Vehicles can only get repaired at an exopad, make it cost additional resource if you want.

Finally, regardless, I don't see how the exovehicles are really any more "gamebreaking" as they are than just using your ship in a similar fashion. Yes, you do still have to get out of the ship to obtain things on the planet surface, but I've never encountered a planet where I couldn't survive long enough to get what I want with just the basic suit modifiers, just staying close enough to the ship to run back and recharge (or just dig out a grotto to take shelter in with the multi-tool). I can't remember the last time I bothered to use one of the suit mods for extreme conditions. Vast majority of my travel across planets was already accomplished in a vehicle, now there are just more types to do it in.

WilyRook

seems to be running fine now. Were those screen filters for gameplay there before in the options menu? I know they were in photo mode. I guess I never noticed.

Mindlog

That never used to happen to me, but recently it started doing that lol.

Also I dislike how the buggy basically plows everything around it. I'm pretty careful about not mining near my base to preserve the vistas. I go strip mine the native habitats. Not my immediate vicinity.

Unicorn

There really needs to be a crafting table for mass production as well as ability to craft large things to store, such as exobays. Carrying all the resources is a hassle.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think you're jumping to conclusions here. For one thing, there are plenty of planets I've encountered where you could easily strike out in a direction and find no resources to fuel the vehicles before they run out, and now this update apparently introduces fuel for the weapons and mining laser as well. Second, saying people would just "drive more carefully" gives way more credit than I would to the average gamer's patience with many of the types of terrain and obstacles this game throws at you, not to mention that it undermines the value of using an exovehicle in the first place.

Not that this is particularly hard to solve - just include a wear-and-tear element to vehicle damage for Survival and Permadeath modes, or in general. Just putting miles on a vehicle slowly degrades its health and you can even set the rate of degradation higher or lower based on surface conditions - add or reduce modifiers based on extreme heat/cold, dust, acid rain, etc. Vehicles can only get repaired at an exopad, make it cost additional resource if you want.

Finally, regardless, I don't see how the exovehicles are really any more "gamebreaking" as they are than just using your ship in a similar fashion. Yes, you do still have to get out of the ship to obtain things on the planet surface, but I've never encountered a planet where I couldn't survive long enough to get what I want with just the basic suit modifiers, just staying close enough to the ship to run back and recharge (or just dig out a grotto to take shelter in with the multi-tool). I can't remember the last time I bothered to use one of the suit mods for extreme conditions. Vast majority of my travel across planets was already accomplished in a vehicle, now there are just more types to do it in.

That's NOT my experience so far and certainly NOT the experience I'm seeing on streams at the moment. Vehicles make it too easy. I'd be happy for the bolded additions and they would go some way to resolve the issues but right now they're not there. We need a reason to walk at times and we need a reason to use vehicles at times. Right now the vehicles have made ALL the suit upgrades unnecessary.

This is a huge mistake and clearly something added because of demand. Let's hope to God Hello Games don't start catering to the multiplayer fanatics because I can already see how some of the gun updates could well be a precursor to that very idea. They're going to ruin this game for the people who stuck with them if they're not careful. I really can't believe they've done this, especially in light of how suddenly the game felt balanced and everything made sense.

In the short term though, remove the ability to spawn your vehicles on every planet, at least until they can come up with a sensible gaming loop. This is an addition for the sake of it.

That's NOT my experience so far and certainly NOT the experience I'm seeing on streams at the moment. Vehicles make it too easy. I'd be happy for the bolded additions and they would go some way to resolve the issues but right now they're not there. We need a reason to walk at times and we need a reason to use vehicles at times. Right now the vehicles have made ALL the suit upgrades unnecessary.

This is a huge mistake and clearly something added because of demand. Let's hope to God Hello Games don't start catering to the multiplayer fanatics because I can already see how some of the gun updates could well be a precursor to that very idea. They're going to ruin this game for the people who stuck with them if they're not careful. I really can't believe they've done this, especially in light of how suddenly the game felt balanced and everything made sense.

Well, if you think the vehicles ruin Survival mode, you can always just not use them. And on normal mode, the way the vehicles guzzle plutonium limits their usefulness. But they're another tool in the box, and I don't think it's a bad thing. I think you're being a bit hyperbolic about their impact.

Regarding gun updates, I hope they're just a precursor to combat and enemy/AI improvements. I really don't think Hello has the manpower and networking chops to do a full MP component anytime soon, nor has Sean said he ever wanted to.

Well, if you think the vehicles ruin Survival mode, you can always just not use them. And on normal mode, the way the vehicles guzzle plutonium limits their usefulness. But they're another tool in the box, and I don't think it's a bad thing. I think you're being a bit hyperbolic about their impact.

Yeah, I agree. On Normal they're very well balanced and a lot of fun (which is the important thing!) - the fuel usage means I'm still walking on foot a lot as well. If it's a problem with Survival mode I'm sure increasing fuel usage would help, the same way Ships aren't as useful as they are in Normal mode due to fuel consumption.

Sulaco

My game has crashed 4 times this evening after 1.22 update installed. PS4 Pro Version. Guess I will wait for the next update.

Top Bottom