• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

Ritzboof

Isn't that what the Sentinels are for? There are various buildings that require you to shoot your way into, alerting aggressive Sentinels to your presence who send more advanced war machines after you the more you kill. On some planets they'll also defend the luxury high-priced trade items and hunt you down if you start harvesting them, for a really nice risk/reward mechanic.

I agree that faction wars would be great one day, but let's not pretend wildlife is the only (or even primary) threat on the planets.

lets not pretend the sentinels are a force to be reckoned with. specifically in terms of doors you have to shoot, a strong enough grenade to one shot the door wont even draw any attention. even if you do make them mad (though theyre usually quite forgiving with harvesting materials and murdering wildlife), once you have decent gear, they melt to the touch. you really, really have to go out of your way to see the sentinels at their strongest. you need to choose not to kill them and wait for them to call reinforcements. it a little bit tougher in space combat, but if you have a good ship, not even the giant sentinel battleship can scratch you. i suppose my ship is especially good, but the sentinels arent that difficult to evade in space, anyways

the risk/reward aspect is extremely minimalist. in any ordinary situation, even with materials that get you an instant 3 stars, you only have to kill 2 sentinels and a quad and youre totally free. grenades make it trivial. you can always just run away, too, if you dont have the basic stuff needed to instakill them. its extremely lenient and the opposite of dynamic. minecraft gets pretty easy, but i dont think it can be compared to the threat sentinels pose to your progress (in fact, i dont think i can remember one time i had any issue with them besides deliberately waiting for a walker when i didnt have much tech)

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Jesus Christ, what is it always with this reasoning. Yes, you can be mad that you can't see other players like was promised, sure.

It won't make the game much different or better if you can though ffs
Why do people act like multiplayer was the only thing they lied about? Traveling to galaxy's and gravity are two bigs ones for me.

KiteGr

Isn't that what the Sentinels are for? There are various buildings that require you to shoot your way into, alerting aggressive Sentinels to your presence who send more advanced war machines after you the more you kill. On some planets they'll also defend the luxury high-priced trade items and hunt you down if you start harvesting them, for a really nice risk/reward mechanic.

I agree that faction wars would be great one day, but let's not pretend wildlife is the only (or even primary) threat on the planets.
Sentinels are pretty much part of the wildlife, and the fight against them is one you are supposed to escape and not win. They are more of a penalty for you going wild.

Why do people act like multiplayer was the only thing they lied about? Traveling to galaxy's and gravity are two bigs ones for me.

It wasn't the only thing, but many of the things like in that reddit list are minor things that can get scrapped in development, such is the nature of game development.

Some major things I agree people should be mad about:

- "Multiplayer"

- Working Portals

- Actual benefits if you help one faction more than another and demerits if you work against another faction

- Spaceships with actual differences in handling etc.

- Planets orbiting and rotating (although I can imagine that this might have been scrapped because of disorientation of playtesters)

I have no clue what you're on about with travelling between galaxies and gravity.
What was said about galaxies is that all people start in the same one, but there are more. Many already speculated that you get to a new galaxy if you reach the center of the starting galaxy, as is the case in the game.
The gravity thing I don't really recall any promises? I'm actually fairly sure that before release it was stated that there aren't differences in gravity between planets, because your suit compensates for it. Maybe link me to what you mean?

I have nothing against people expressing their valid dissatisfaction with some features that weren't delivered, but if you start whining about that one big spaceship wreck or that one kind of creature that didn't make it into the game, it kinda gets ridiculous.

SomTervo

It wasn't the only thing, but many of the things like in that reddit list are minor things that can get scrapped in development, such is the nature of game development.

Some major things I agree people should be mad about:

- "Multiplayer"

- Working Portals

- Joinable Factions

- Planets orbiting and rotating (although I can imagine that this might have been scrapped because of disorientation of playtesters)

I have no clue what you're on about with travelling between galaxies and gravity.
What was said about galaxies is that all people start in the same one, but there are more. Many already speculated that you get to a new galaxy if you reach the center of the starting galaxy, as is case in the game.
The gravity thing I don't really recall any promises? I'm actually fairly sure that before release it was stated that there aren't differences in gravity between planets, because your suit compensates for it. Maybe link me to what you mean?

I have nothing against people expressing their valid dissatisfaction with some features that weren't delivered, but if you start whining about that one big spaceship wreck or that one kind of creature that didn't made it into the game, it kinda gets ridiculous.

I think by 'gravity' the person means the functioning and orbiting planetary systems. Literally in March 2016 Murray was on record saying planets rotate and orbit a star just like with real gravity.

Functionally it makes almost no difference IMO and IIRC they also said it confused players too much that planets move.

When's the game finder content being released?

D6l8fu1.gif

TimFL

No that was a blatant lie. The game leaked early on PS4 with it not being included yet the day 1 patch mentioned further reducing the planet rotation etc.

Also it makes no sense to go through the hazzle of making realistic solar systems and then removing it all to replace with a baked one cause of playtesters.

It either was never in (there is no proof or traces of code that suggest it ever was) or they couldn't manage to get it properly working and scrapped it very early on. Everything else would be mind-blowingly dumb.

I think with traveling between systems he meant that you could literally fly at a star and eventually enter the solar system. People tried, you hit an invisible wall cause it's a skybox.

I think by 'gravity' the person means the functioning and orbiting planetary systems. Literally in March 2016 Murray was on record saying planets rotate and orbit a star just like with real gravity.

Ah yeah, that one. There's nothing wrong with scrapping it if it doesn't work well for most players, but they should have communicated so before release.

No that was a blatant lie. The game leaked early on PS4 with it not being included yet the day 1 patch mentioned further reducing the planet rotation etc.

Also it makes no sense to go through the hazzle of making realistic solar systems and then removing it all to replace with a baked one cause of playtesters.

It either was never in (there is no proof or traces of code that suggest it ever was) or they couldn't manage to get it properly working and scrapped it very early on. Everything else would be mind-blowingly dumb.

I think with traveling between systems he meant that you could literally fly at a star and eventually enter the solar system. People tried, you hit an invisible wall cause it's a skybox.

Are there actually people who confirmed this with data mining etc.? Because I recall about the skybox thing that people tried to do it, but the game crashed after a while trying. Which is bad of course, but doesn't "confirm" that stars are skyboxes. I never found anyone really discovering that by looking into the code and confirming that they are skyboxes and there aren't remnants of the advertised approach.

We know planets rotated because there's the infamous video where the Sean playing the game sleeps at an alien shrine and when he wakes time has passed and a planet in the sky has come into view.

The video was infamous because it was the first point people started to question online multiplayer because the player had "fast-forwarded" time.

I ment traveling to different galaxies was described different. It is just a loading screen.

How was it described? As far as I know there were two options confirmed, warping and flying to it, which would take a ridicolous amount of time. Number two doesn't work, sure. But how would warping amount to anything other than a kind of a loading screen?

themadcowtipper

How was it described? As far as I know there were two options confirmed, warping and flying to it, which would take a ridicolous amount of time. Number two doesn't work, sure. But how would warping amount to anything other than a kind of a loading screen?
It was originally described as being it control while warping. It was found out that is was a loading screen until after release.

The word further implies that the rotation was already altered/reduced pre day 1 patch. Not saying it ever really existed though, nobody other than the devs know for sure. (forgot about the video mentioned above, so it most likely really did exist)

Also, it is not a skybox, somebody already took the time to prove it by matching up the stars in the sky with the stars in the galactic map. Not being able to fly from star to star is most likely a technical limitation, but was probably possible once upon a time before having to optimize for PS4.

Just because something doesn't exist in the final game, doesn't mean it never actually existed at all.

themadcowtipper

The word further implies that the rotation was already altered/reduced pre day 1 patch. Not saying it ever really existed though, nobody other than the devs know for sure. (forgot about the video mentioned above, so it most likely really did exist)

Also, it is not a skybox, somebody already took the time to prove it by matching up the stars in the sky with the stars in the galactic map. Not being able to fly from star to star is most likely a technical limitation, but was probably possible once upon a time before having to optimize for PS4.

Just because something doesn't exist in the final game, doesn't mean it never actually existed at all.
That is the problem the devs never talked about what was changed( if it ever was in the game). They just released the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's funny because I predicted people would be saying they got 'bored' with the game before it released. It's just the side effect of a game with no end. The word 'bored' gets applied simply because at some point our interest in exploration will wane and so we opt for the obvious word to use. The truth is MY 'bored' is likely different from other people's 'bored'. For instance, some people got 'bored' with the game immediately (this game was not for them), some people got 'bored' with the game after 20 - 30 hours (They at least got something out of it), some people got 'bored' after 40 - 50 hours (these people got their money's worth but still could not find a better way of describing their eventually loss of interest), and others got 'bored' of the game after 200+ hours (like myself). People who play this game for thousands of hours can still use the word 'bored' when they eventually stop playing it. We don't do that with other games because there's a definite 'end' and so the word 'bored' does not apply. I'm sure many people will eventually stop playing Horizon Zero Dawn but does that mean they got 'bored' of the game?

The word 'bored' was always going to be applied to a game with endless exploration. You just 'lost interest' but this constant nagging about the game will never allow people to think more rationally about what people actually DID get out of the game, hence once again a thread filled with people who for one reason or another want to make sure those of us who enjoyed it know they got 'bored' or want to explain why we SHOULD be 'bored' of the game.

I'm 'bored' by YOU.

This update will revitalise my 'interest' in the game just like the Foundation update did. One day the body of content will be so huge those of you who still rag on the game will look stupid, just as they did with Minecraft.

prudislav

I remember some interview where they explained why water doesnt work physically correct way (because of math reuqired) ... i bet along the disorientation problem , it will be quite similar for this too

That is the problem the devs never talked about what was changed( if it ever was in the game). They just released the game.
It's not really a problem though. Them talking about what changed would do absolutely nothing good for the game, probably just make people complain even more.

I mean seriously, what do you think will happen if Sean explained in detail why all the missing features did not make it into the game?

We already have a good example of what will happen, with the whole planet rotation issue. It's explained in the patch notes that it's been altered due to players becoming disoriented, yet everybody still adds it to the "list of lies".

edit: Even if Sean showed a beta version with ALL of the features ever talked about working, including MP, people would STILL complain. Simply because these things do not exist in the final product, which makes them unhappy, understandably.

themadcowtipper

It's not really a problem though. Them talking about what changed would do absolutely nothing good for the game, probably just make people complain even more.

I mean seriously, what do you think will happen if Sean explained in detail why all the missing features did not make it into the game?

We already have a good example of what will happen, with the whole planet rotation issue. It's explained in the patch notes that it's been altered due to players becoming disoriented, yet everybody still adds it to the "list of lies".
Except we have no proof planet rotation ever was in the game. This is a dev that left the e3 video that in the code, but deleted everything else they said was in the game. I personally have a hard time believing that. This will be the last I discuss this since it is getting off-topic. I just amazed the amount of people still making excuses for this shady stuff they did.

Hmm, together with the current EU discount to 15.99€ with PS+ such long term support is tempting me to finally buy this game. If only I would have enough time to play those games nowadays. :/

Just do it. If there's one game that's awesome playing in short bursts of 30-45 minutes, it's this one.

edit: Even if Sean showed a beta version with ALL of the features ever talked about working, including MP, people would STILL complain. Simply because these things do not exist in the final product, which makes them unhappy, understandably.

I disagree. They certainly should have communicated major things they had to scrap or change before release.

Now? Not completely sure, but I think it would have shown good faith if they admitted what was scrapped and why. Probably not now anymore, too much time has passed.

Except we have no proof planet rotation ever was in the game. This is a dev that left the e3 video that in the code, but deleted everything else they said was in the game. I personally have a hard time believing that. This will be the last I discuss this since it is getting off-topic. I just amazed the amount of people still making excuses for this shady stuff they did.

That's exactly the point of me replying, I'm not excusing the shady stuff. I'm annoyed with stuff that isn't really important like minor changes or stuff that wasn't really proven to be shady thrown in there. That contributed to the way blown out of proportion shitstorm in my opinion.

Just do it. If there's one game that's awesome playing in short bursts of 30-45 minutes, it's this one.

Yup, i stick a podcast on, preferably astronomy or cosmology, and jump in for 45 mins to an hour and i still love it. I've been playing other games so haven't jumped in for a week or two but it's my go-to relaxing, unwinding game for the last few months.

Button

Banned
It's insane they are still updating the game. It is basically dead. The goodwill they will gain from these free updates is not worth their time.

It nice to see that some people aren't still deluded by the backlash. That's some progress.
Do you seriously want to travel between stars manually? The crazy thing about that is that he said people tried it!? It must have been with a debugged camera that travelled at extreme faster than light speed, because it would take many hundreds of years to do it. Even at light speed, travelling a mere lightyear, it would take the player...well, a year...and there isn't a light speed engine.

On gravity it's much the same idea. How fast are these planets moving? If you stayed in a system for a day, how far would the planets move? Not much. Although this doesn't excuse why moons and space stations don't revolve.
- Actual benefits if you help one faction more than another and demerits if you work against another faction

It was never clarified what or how much benefit you'd get, and you do get benefits helping an alien race. It just isn't what people dreamt up in their heads, because that's what a lot of this is about.

Murray said ships would be "slightly" different. Which is an understatement. Did he claim that 48 slot ships will be massively different from each other? No. That's the only time when ships are the same. Outside of that, ships have different slot configurations, meaning they can't be upgraded the same as other ships, so they don't have the same speed, weapons or handling. I'm amazed it ever got on the list.
It was originally described as being it control while warping. It was found out that is was a loading screen until after release
Why does that make a difference? You wouldn't be able to steer your ship in either case. Of course this game has loading, it's loading every second you play it.
We know planets rotated because there's the infamous video where the Sean playing the game sleeps at an alien shrine and when he wakes time has passed and a planet in the sky has come into view.
So infamous this is the first time I've heard it :D Unless you mean the sun, which still moves and always has done.

TimFL

The video was infamous because it was the first point people started to question online multiplayer because the player had "fast-forwarded" time.

Pretty sure it was confirmed that their gameplay vids were heavily scripted. They even left the code for the E3 showing in the actual game (all scripted/fake). I see no reason why they'd remove it if it worked, it makes zero sense.

It's a skybox drawn out of the galaxy map. Doesn't change the fact that you can't fly to that dot and show up in a new solar system. It was never possible, stop kidding yourself.

It's a skybox drawn out of the galaxy map. Doesn't change the fact that you can't fly to that dot and show up in a new solar system. It was never possible, stop kidding yourself.
Would love for you to explain how to create a skybox of a complex 3d space of stars, in real-time, based on your current position in said 3d space. Unless you're saying the skybox is exactly the same for every star system in the game? (it's not btw)

And what am I kidding myself about? I said it was probably possible to travel between them, not that is for sure was. I could be wrong and I know that.

Pretty sure it was confirmed that their gameplay vids were heavily scripted. They even left the code for the E3 showing in the actual game (all scripted/fake). I see no reason why they'd remove it if it worked, it makes zero sense.

So infamous this is the first time I've heard it :D Unless you mean the sun, which still moves and always has done.
Notice the planet behind the monolith disappears when Sean rests. This is 4 months before launch.

Anyways to get back on topic, their website is in maintenence mode, not sure if this actually means anything or not but it's something. Hoping they made another lengthy video like they did for the foundation update lol

No, the fact that you can't do that flight hasn't changed. Also doesn't change the fact that people trying it on youtube doesn't confirm that the game runs on skyboxes. I could be wrong for sure, but at least I don't pretend to know how the development went and what was or wasn't possible. I think I shouldn't bother with this anyway.

Did Hello Games say when this week the update would go live? Or do they have some day in the week they usually do their updates?

Can someone explain the disorientation thing to me? I'm just having trouble understand how anyone could be so disoriented by the organic/natural orbit and rotation of planets that they decided to completely remove that system, unless it was just shoddily implemented.

Disorientation implies a need to be oriented. Were they using celestial bodies for navigation or something? Because it sounds like a bunch of monkeys got the shit scared out of them by a solar eclipse.

Can someone explain the disorientation thing to me? I'm just having trouble understand how anyone could be so disoriented by the organic/natural orbit and rotation of planets that they decided to completely remove that system, unless it was just shoddily implemented.

Disorientation implies a need to be oriented. Were they using celestial bodies for navigation or something? Because it sounds like a bunch of monkeys got the shit scared out of them by a solar eclipse.

I doubt that orbit and rotation was implemented in a "natural" way before scrapping. Probably heavily sped up, natural use would probably not be noticed at all by most players. If it indeed was scrapped because of disorientation problems, and not because of problems with the system itself, that would probably have amounted to players flying over a planet, stopping, and not finding the spot they used again after flying a bit. This kind of problems.

Their website is in maintenance mode. Maybe it's a bigger update than we expected? I don't see why they'd need to take down the site for patch notes.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com
I didn't see if the same thing happened with the foundation update, but they did change the site to give the update it's own page with a link to it at the top (replacing the standard updates link), guessing they are doing the same for this update which hopefully means it is just as big as the foundation update. Can't wait to see.

I didn't see if the same thing happened with the foundation update, but they did change the site to give the update it's own page with a link to it at the top (replacing the standard updates link), guessing they are doing the same for this update which hopefully means it is just as big as the foundation update. Can't wait to see.

Yeah they have an entire tab just for the foundation update, so perhaps they are changing that with all the info of the new update.

- PlayStation 4 Pro Compatibility
- Better graphics
- Possibility of having multiple ships
- Share bases online
- New vehicle: Exocraft
- Permadeath mode
- Build race circuits for vehicles
- Ships and classes specializations
- Shop / Merchants
- Duplication of the variety in terms of the construction of the base
- Multi-tool specialization and classes
- New weapon modes
- Photo Mode
- Discovery Menu
- Improvements in the quality of life
- 50% more original music than 65daysofstatic

Damn.

Carn82

The race circuits sounds like fun, but I wonder how fun that will be if it stays single-player only. Or maybe some share features with leaderboards?

Top Bottom