• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky Pathfinder Update Trailer

Nice patch notes .

Pro support is much welcome.

Now my only question : does the hover vehicule able to hover across water surfaces ?

33165484012_c0aeabe5f8_o-1.jpg

Edit: To people using the photo mode: You can change the position of the sun by pointing somewhere and pressing R3. Or just set a time in an extra menu.

Playing on PRO. Did they unlock the frame rate too? I've been playing this game regularly since launch and it's never felt this smooth and responsive

Also, Photo Mode awesome
https://twitter.com/legacyz3ro/status/839564800476737537

Nice! I only hopped in for a few hours in the initial release, I think I'm gonna jump in tonight, especially if the framerate is nicer.

Beautiful. Kinda wish there wasn't so much amazing all over the place in gaming right now, I didn't even get to fully explore the foundation update. Looks great though.

Yeah, I didn't touch the foundation update at all, so hopefully there's more cool shit now. Seems the sort of game I can see myself popping in for every few months.

legacyzero

Banned
Can you check the display options on pro? is there HD mode or not.Thanks

Nice shot By the way.
There's no option. I'm assuming it just outputs to the mode you have it set to. I'm on 4K
Looks great. I wonder if the new "high-res" textures are limited to PS4 Pro and PC, or if us base PS4 peons will get them also.
I think the textures are for Pro only, but PS4jr got some graphical updates as well, if I read the path notes right.
I'm seeing a big frame rate increase on a pro at 1080p here.

Like. Really big.

Yep. Even in 4K I'm feeling a better response that's usually tied to a frame rate increase.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm playing it on the Pro now. Looks so good on the 4K tv.

I've been waiting for this update for what seems like forever, and I can't wait to dive more into it! I've loved this game from day 1, and it's great to see Hello Games still supporting it and improving it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice! I only hopped in for a few hours in the initial release, I think I'm gonna jump in tonight, especially if the framerate is nicer.

Yeah, I didn't touch the foundation update at all, so hopefully there's more cool shit now. Seems the sort of game I can see myself popping in for every few months.
The foundation update was pretty huge to begin with. The quick menu, base buidling/freighters alleviated a lot of the onerous aspects from launch.

The on-planet vehicles take care of another one. Can't believe you can even mine from them (at least the Colossus). So cool. Ship classification and the ability to own multiple ships was also a huge request.

Also, can anyone clarify if this note:
Added “Set Waypoint” option to the solar system pop-up
Means you can now set a waypoint from the Discoveries menu to a previously visited system?

Cause that was my #1 desired thing...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh shit, Photo Mode works in space and you can view your ship third-person...

Whatever you think of it NMS at least deserves some kind of recognition as the best custom sci-fi wallpaper generator of all time.

edit:
DISCOVERY MENU

Improvements to the discovery menu allow travellers to journey with a better sense of purpose

Your home planet is marked on the Galaxy Map, giving you a clearer feeling of your place in the universe
Use the discovery page to easily browse planetary information, including resource and biome data.
Previously visited planets can be marked with Waypoints, simplifying return navigation
yaaaaaasssss sweet glory

I wonder if there's any hope of returning to my original starter system

edit: goddamn 8 new 65days tracks...?!

yeah okay go listen to the sample right fucking now http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

Scroll down to "Music From 65daysofstatic"

edit again:
Ships, weapons, vehicles, freighters and bases can now all be renamed.

...this is all too much

Staf

I played NMS for about 6-8 hours when it released. I wonder if i should return to it with this patch and the base building stuff.

[NaK]

Nice update!
This might actually make me download the game again. Haven't played it in months, because I couldn't find a lush planet and got bored.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn. These guys work. I just read line by line through the update page and there is a lot of attention to detail and little requests fulfilled, not to mention taking care of my #1 and #2 personal requests. God knows when I'll have time to really sink my teeth into this but I can't wait.

Saiyan-Rox

I see the loading screen is still 5fps

EDIT: Can anyone on PC tell me what settings to get locked 60FPS with a 1070 and a Skylake i7?

RedSwirl

The ship classes hint at something Hello Games promised leading up to the game's launch. It's nice now that ships will actually have differences other than number of slots. Land vehicles are something I always wanted, I just wish there was an in-cockpit view for them.

Two general things I'd like to see in the future though are:

1) Still more varied planet generation. I still don't like how every single planet is atmospheric. The original idea was supposed to be that the majority would be airless rocks so the ones with atmospheres and life would seem more special. Every planet being atmospheric feels a little too fantastical to me. Then there's still how you can get nearly the same resources and upgrades on every planet.

2) More to do in space. From what I understand right now you can't do much in space but make transactions at space station and fight small-scale battles. Trading isn't really as viable as exploring planet surfaces right now. There need to be ways to easily find your way back and forth between systems that make up good trade routes. Has anyone really found it viable to spend the whole game in space yet?

There are still some fundamental issues with No Man's Sky, but Hello Games seems to be making significant leaps.

Two general things I'd like to see in the future though are:

1) Still more varied planet generation. I still don't like how every single planet is atmospheric. The original idea was supposed to be that the majority would be airless rocks so the ones with atmospheres and life would seem more special. Every planet being atmospheric feels a little too fantastical to me. Then there's still how you can get nearly the same resources and upgrades on every planet.

2) More to do in space. From what I understand right now you can't do much in space but make transactions at space station and fight small-scale battles. Trading isn't really as viable as exploring planet surfaces right now. There need to be ways to easily find your way back and forth between systems that make up good trade routes. Has anyone really found it viable to spend the whole game in space yet?

1) Um, there are planets with no atmosphere. Just hunks of rocks in space, devoid of life. I was on a couple in Foundation. The ratio isn't what they said it would be though; dead planets are kinda rare from what I've seen. Your last sentence makes me think you didn't play the Foundation update, because there are several resources you can only get in specific biomes now.

2) I agree about this. Space activities have not gotten much love...I hope this is temporary.

This is awesome. I'm not ready to reinstall this game quite yet, but the direction they're heading in is fantastic and I'll be jumping back in probably after one or two more updates.

I was really critical of HG for a few months during the radio silence but I'm really happy to see them putting out the goods and I'm very happy to see their dedication to this game stay strong in the face of such a strong push back (myself included).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I remember tweeting to Innes McKendrick and Sean Murray about adding Photomode to one of the unused digital pad buttons ages ago (it was before the new UI stuff where the hot bar is mapped to down on the digital pad). Now you can access Photomode through the hot bar! You're welcome, everyone! :p :p

alexbull_uk

Hello Games are definitely repairing some of the damage they caused when NMS launched. This update looks great.

Might go for it next sale. It's actually looking like a real game now, and not a glorified tech demo.

Fredrik

Oh wow it sounds and looks awesome, Hello Games definitely deserves some praise now after several months of hating, they've done a tremendous job with the updates.

HeeHo

I'm hoping the game gets even more sandboxey in a creative sense. Like, a minecraft in outerspace type of thing.

That would be kind of neat to see the response to the game do a complete 180 compared to the launch of the game.

That said, I liked the game at launch. It was a lot more shallow than I thought it would be but I still really liked the sense of exploration and feeling like it could go on forever. Taking off from planets and landing on new ones never really got old for me either.

They should add more trophies. I kept saying the game should add base-building and I'd come back but turns out, since I have the platinum, that wasn't enough to bring me back.

zashga

Good on Hello Games for continuing to make NMS better after its disappointing launch and first several months. I still haven't played the game, but maybe some day I will. Hopefully it will keep getting better.

mokeyjoe

Hello Games are definitely repairing some of the damage they caused when NMS launched. This update looks great.

Might go for it next sale. It's actually looking like a real game now, and not a glorified tech demo.

It's definitely coming together. I enjoyed it from the start, but there was always the sense of 'potential' rather than finished article.

I'm still hoping for some proper lore and story related stuff, but I'm looking forward to sinking a couple dozen more hours into this post Horizon.

I'm hoping the game gets even more sandboxey in a creative sense. Like, a minecraft in outerspace type of thing.

This is where I fear Hello might eventually lose my interest. There's a faction of players that want it to be Minecraft, with the intricate base building, crafting, etc. Both updates have really added to this play style. Then there's people like me who want NMS to feel more like a living universe, with more combat options, dynamic missions, political alliances, better combat, NPCs that you can become attached to, etc.

Right now it feels like Hello is definitely catering to the first group, and I'm a bit worried that the Minecraft people are so vocal that the kinds of things I want and expected at launch will never be addressed. Hopefully they can do both.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Are there any customization to exovehicle design? From the screenshots everyone is posting so far, it looks like there's only one design for the rover at least...

[NaK];231718337 said:
Nice update!
This might actually make me download the game again. Haven't played it in months, because I couldn't find a lush planet and got bored.

Yellow Systems have the best chances to find lush planets.

How's everyone finding the HDR on this? I'm finding it pretty odd. Everything gets really dark and even the UI and menus get affected to the point where some of the text is hard to read.

KS7000 (8000 in US) with settings that match what most people have in that thread.

Anticol

Banned
With so many good games out and releasing in the upcoming weeks, I have zero interest in wasting more than the 2 hours I already put on this one, sry but you got my money on release date, I won't waste anything else on it.

Are there any customization to exovehicle design? From the screenshots everyone is posting so far, it looks like there's only one design for the rover at least...

There's three rover designs: a hover-scout, a buggy, and a big lumbering thing. You can apparently add equipment and weapons to them, but I don't know if those have superficial changes. Hopefully you can at least change the colors, though I dig their Wipeout-esque design on the scout.

With so many good games out and releasing in the upcoming weeks, I have zero interest in wasting more than the 2 hours I already put on this one, sry but you got my money on release date, I won't waste anything else on it.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Necro900

Everything seems pretty great but... anyone willing to help someone who sank in dozens of hours back in august-september and is now pretty much out of the loop as far as updates go?

How do I build a freighter? How do I set my home planet & build a base? And how do I build land vehicles? Is this all possible in my current savefile (normal mode)?

Everything seems pretty great but... anyone willing to help someone who sank in dozens of hours back in august-september and is now pretty much out of the loop as far as updates go?

How do I build a freighter? How do I set my home planet & build a base? And how do I build land vehicles? Is this all possible in my current savefile (normal mode)?

You buy Freighters, go up in space and look for a Freighters. You can fly into them, land and talk to the captain and assign him to be your main freighter. Now you can fly to other star systems and find the one you want.

How do I build a freighter?

With lots of money. You don't build freighters, you buy them by docking in a NPC freighter and talking to the captain. He'll sell it to you.

How do I set my home planet & build a base?

Pick a planet you like. You can scan and find areas on planets where you can build bases. From there, go to a space station and recruit people to work for you. They'll set up shop in your base and give you quests which will give you new blueprints and new options for your base. You can also build a base on your freighter instead of a planet.

Is this all possible in my current savefile (normal mode)?

Yes.

Top Bottom