• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky | PC Performance Thread

MaDKaT

Not sure if it's popped up here yet but apparently there is a flag in the graphic configuration file (same as FOV) for gsync and it is defaulted to true. Some folks on reddit are saying it helped reduce their stutter seting it to false. I tried it but im already running 150-160 pretty smoothly.

Well, aside from some crashing

GavinUK86

I can't get a stable 60fps with a 970 but using Nvidia inspector to cap it at 30 and using RTSS set to 30 it's not too bad. I'm not a fan of playing PC games at 30fps but considering this game is so slow I'm finding it's not bothering me too much.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
Anyone else having an issue with minimising and maximising the game? It's annoying having to restart every time you want to minimise.

this is a windows 10 issue after that last update (anniversary update).
Windows moved it to another virtual desktop. go to option in Parameter/multitask and choose "show all desktop on task bar".

Eyothrie

I can't get a stable 60fps with a 970 but using Nvidia inspector to cap it at 30 and using RTSS set to 30 it's not too bad. I'm not a fan of playing PC games at 30fps but considering this game is so slow I'm finding it's not bothering me too much.

I remember seeing comments like this in the Arkham Knight PC performance thread.

Their Steam Community post is promising. It's not as bad for me as I initially thought. The odd hiccup here and there, mostly seems to be while using the scanner, weirdly.

I've been playing for about five hours...I've been REALLY enjoying this. I have had ZERO issues on my setup other than when I alt-tabed out to add some Mozart to my space fareing adventures.

OneUh8

running good for me. get mostly 100+ fps @1080p whenever I look at te overlay. do get an occasional hitch. 6700k/gtx1070. thank God for g sync monitor or else I would be tearing or stuck with 60fps vsync.

Despera

Banned
Everything was going smooth for the past 6 or so hours, and now I can't warp to a certain star system because the game crashes every time I try to do so.

Will try going through an alternative path and see how that goes :/

kris.

Banned
i give up for the night. hopefully if they are pulling an all-nighter to try and get some of the major issues fixed, i'll wake up to a patch that magically lets the game start. sigh.

ash321

Just bought and the game lock my PC ??? Have to hard reset the thing .....
So what did I do wrong ?

Spec: I5 4690k, GTX970, 16gb of ram
P/S: bought on GOG galaxy if that help.

Karak

I played for 6 hours. The shader cache issue does seem legit but even after improvements I could never suggest the game currently

Their Steam Community post is promising. It's not as bad for me as I initially thought. The odd hiccup here and there, mostly seems to be while using the scanner, weirdly.

Its not promising. You cant even post in that topic. Game locks my PC (no other steam game does this) and the items they are looking at are irrelevant. If they wanted to truly fix people's problem's then why is the topic locked?

Xbudz

Shitty situation. How long do we have to get a full refund? I might wait until several patches have come out.

diaspora

Just spent a couple of hours in the GOG version and it's been pretty much 60fps uninterrupted. Got it at max settings and 4xSSAA.

4670K, 16GM RAM, GTX 1070

leca

Steam version here.

First attempt the game was a little choppy and stuttered when walking around. 45fps (Steam FPS counter) regardless of Low, high settings or resolution. It was pretty odd to get 40fps at 1440p and 1080p. But there we go.

Moved the install to an SSD, a little smoother but the frame rate was still pretty low.

Fired up the GeForce experience tool and set the optimised settings. I have no idea what wizardry this did but the game went straight to 80+.

Game is running wonderfully now at 1440p :).

qVDzlJj.png

Steam version here.

First attempt the game was a little choppy and stuttered when walking around. 45fps (Steam FPS counter) regardless of Low, high settings or resolution. It was pretty odd to get 40fps at 1440p and 1080p. But there we go.

Moved the install to an SSD, a little smoother but the frame rate was still pretty low.

Fired up the GeForce experience tool and set the optimised settings. I have no idea what wizardry this did but the game went straight to 80+.

Game is running wonderfully now at 1440p :).

qVDzlJj.png

That is incredibly weird!

nekomix

Well, for the moment, i run around 15-30 fps @720p with i3-5005U, 8GB DDR3@1600 MHz and Geforce 920M 2GB but it's just the first planet and I thought it would be worse on my laptop. I think it's already a tiny miracle to have something a little bit playable now on my "shitty" rig.

I think I'm gonna hold off for like at least a couple weeks to a month after reading this thread. As much as I was excited, it'll be nice to start with a game that actually will run without much issue.

First of all, my specs:
GTX 970 OC
i5-4690K 3.50GHz (stock)
16GB RAM
1440p G-sync monitor

I'm nearly four hours in and while the performance isn't great it's not unplayable by any means. The frame rate is constantly in the 30s and low 40s with brief spikes into higher frame rates when there's absolutely nothing going on. All settings are maxed except for AA which is set to FXAA.

I guess G-sync is working? The refresh rate isn't changing with this game so I initially assumed it wasn't working, but when I switch to fullscreen there's zero tearing, so that should mean it's working. However, even when I disable ALL G-sync options and regular v-sync, both in-game and in the drivers, I still can't get the game to screen tear when running in fullscreen. So either this game isn't running in exclusive fullscreen, or it's forcing v-sync to be on even when it should be off. Not that I'm going to complain about the game not tearing, but I spent a lot of money on this monitor so I would love to know that it's functioning properly.

I've had one crash so far and it was easily the smoothest crash I've had in any game:
https://giant.gfycat.com/AthleticResponsibleCuttlefish.webm

Zero indication that anything was amiss in-game, just straight to the desktop.

ash321

So I finally get in the game, but then the framerate and the FOV is like one of the worse I ever have to experience. I see some of you guys using geforce experience to try to fix it, which is weird because mine doesn't recognize the damn thing .
Also, you can't tab in and out ?

Dartastic

Does anyone know how long it takes for steam to process a refund? I need to figure out if I should just go buy the ps4 version tonight.

mario_O

Does anyone know how long it takes for steam to process a refund? I need to figure out if I should just go buy the ps4 version tonight.

It takes a while, between 7-10 days, at least for us europeans. Not to process the refund but to get the money back in your account.

Backlogger

Will try, thank you.
Also,your avatar is horrifying.

Thanks

Someone here on the forums made it in during the Crackachu (sp?) phase of the lack of multiplayer in NMS thread.

I'll eventually go back to my Highlander anime avatar though. There can be only one!

GavinUK86

I remember seeing comments like this in the Arkham Knight PC performance thread.

Funny you should say that, unless you're being sarcastic, but I played through and finished Arkham Knight by capping it to 30 the same way. I finished it the same week it released. That was a bit awkward considering it's a fast pace game though, wasn't 100% comfortable. This isn't bad because it's so chilled.

Bought the GOG version:

4690K @ 4.5 GHz
Titan X Pascal
16GB RAM
Samsung EVO 750

I'm not sure if the GOG is actually causing a difference performance but apart from a few hitches here and there, it seems to never drop below 100 fps on 1440p maxed out (Using a controller seems to help a bit too). It was stuttering like help at the default setting though. Which is weird when its set to 30fps. With that being said...it's not much of a looker. It's very blurry and the textures are awful.

Hoping its fixed for everyone else super soon.

I sincerely feel for the folks affected by the initial PC issues, I consider myself one of the lucky ones I suppose (Steam version).

Besides a rare micro-stutter or two on start-up, it fairs well on my end.

Mobo: ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 4.3GHz OC
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 980 DirectCU OC Edition
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600 DDR3 4x 4GB (16GB total)

Set all the options to what should have been default. Forced Adaptive V-Sync, and AF through Nivida 3D settings. Helped quite a bit.

My main concern was the seemingly blurry image quality, didn't seem like it was running as the supposed resolution. I threw in Reshade and did nothing but enhance the Lumasharpening a tad. Surprising made a world of difference.

Gameplay-wise, I am enjoying it but it definitely has a rocky start on the PC platform.

sfried

The new AMD drivers improved my performance quite a bit imo. Not too bad AMD.
How are the new drivers? I have an i7-6700k@4.0GHz and an AMD R9 Nano at +35% power limit, and heard the game runs on Open GL 4.5.

Back when I ran DOOM 2016 I had noissues running everything at Ultra settings (my screen res is natively 1366x768@60hz, so there could be that too...)

Chichikov

So are you guys having the same problems as Jim Sterling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP0Xodpas4

It looks like he's having a lot of bad stuttering problems that persist for sometimes up to 2 seconds at a time.
Yeah, performance is pretty damn terrible on my machine, and I can run Arkham Knight smoothly.
If I was strapped for money I would probably refund the game, I might still do it, I'm waiting to see if they address these issues. The responses so far has been quite disappointing.

GavinUK86

So are you guys having the same problems as Jim Sterling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP0Xodpas4

It looks like he's having a lot of bad stuttering problems that persist for sometimes up to 2 seconds at a time.

Looks like he's got something wrong with his system in that video.

I'm getting 70-80 on a 970 but regular drops to 30-40 so I just capped it to 30. Still get stutters when it's loading in terrain but it's less noticeable from 30 than 60+.

Battle Pope

Neo Member
Noticed in the same file as the FOV fix there is a line:

<Property name="GSync" value="true" />

Set to true by default. Any way that could be causing issues on non-gsync enabled systems?

After reinstalling the game, things seem to have straightened out. 4k60 is still very much not attainable on my 1070, but I'm get maxed everything at 1440p60. Using the Nvidia control panel for vsync and frame limit seems to have helped a lot too.

Glad that initial awful performance has worked itself out. I've definitely come around on the game (though the pop in and textures are still pretty ugly).

ISee

So, is it better to get it on Steam or GOG? Or does it not actually matter? Does GOG do refunds?

I don't really think that it matters. I went with the gog version just because I want someone to at least try to compete with steam...

And yes GOG.com does refunds, but not like steam! They offer a 30 days money back guarantee in case of technical problems.

4. How does it work?
If, within 30 days after the purchase of your game, you experience technical problems or game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game, contact our customer support. They will do their best to help you fix the problem and if, at the end of their attempts to solve the problem your game is still not working, we'll give you back your money.

Xbudz

OK, so I was having the same performance issues as many of you.
Here's what I did to fix it:

in Nvidia Control Panel, set Vsync to Adaptive and set Shader Cache to OFF.

That smoothed everything out for me. Hope it works for others.

(Fullscreen, max settings)

Mashing

So my FPS is the same at 1080p as it is at 4k. Never seems to go above 50 nor drop below 40. I'm not getting any stuttering though (except on title screen)

i74690k@4.0Ghz
Titan X
16 GB Ram
SSD

All details maxed, disabled vsync (I have Gsync monitor), set to max FPS, 16x anisotropic filtering in Nvidia control panel.

Why the hell would the performance be the same at any resolution?

Top Bottom