• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky | PC Performance Thread

wow, glad they are working on it. Shader cache issue makes sense on stuttering end. Hopefully that fixes a lot of issues.

They should be working on it, its one of the worst reviewed games on steam I have ever seen (it was my first ever steam review, negative of course since it locks my PC up every time I try to run it) yet they have made a fortune from the game. Only PC steam buyers have the easy option to return the game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wow. Yeah, game is legit unplayable for me. Never had to refund a game for being actually too poorly optimized to run for me before, but I guess there's a first time for everything. Not sure if I should grab the ps4 version after that or just leave the game some time to mature the bugs out.

It's not like the PS4 version performs any better than this one. 30 FPS (max) and quite a few crashes from what I've seen. Even if those crashes were just anecdotal evidence, you're gaining nothing (in terms of performance) from buying the PS4 version if you didn't enjoy the PC version.

If you're not over your 2 hours on Steam, wait a bit and see if it's fixed. If not, refund it. And if you really want to play the game, get the PS4 version only then.

Yeah, can't get a smooth 60fps@4K with a 1080 and OC 4790k (but I can with Mad Max for example). Had to put the frame limiter to 90 even though I have v-sync (tearing very apparent on my 55"TV) which sets it to 60. Putting the limiter to 60 made me never actually hit 60 but 55's and 56's.
But I was expecting a graphical powerhouse but I would like it to run in 4K@60fps.

Sinistral

Wow this is weird. I was getting a pretty consistent 60-70 fps with everything set to high for a few launches. Trying disable/enabling Steam Overlay to see if it would reduce the stutter. And because you have to restart the game to see different settings, such as Shadows which I was testing, I started getting 30-40 fps. I switched everything to low, and I still end up with 30-40 fps now.

The GOG version is looking mighty tempting.

Hopeford

It's not like the PS4 version performs any better than this one. 30 FPS (max) and quite a few crashes from what I've seen. Even if those crashes were just anecdotal evidence, you're gaining nothing (in terms of performance) from buying the PS4 version if you didn't enjoy the PC version.

If you're not over your 2 hours on Steam, wait a bit and see if it's fixed. If not, refund it. And if you really want to play the game, get the PS4 version only then.

Oh, I assumed the ps4 version had less crashes. Oops. Yeah you got a point, I only have about half hour clocked so I should give it a bit and see if they fix it. I like the game, but I can probably wait.

Guardian

Banned
Somebody needs to find the settings for that vignette and chromatic aberration at the top of the screen. Can't figure out why it's even there.. I know I'm wearing a helmet because I can hear myself breathing.

Thats bothering the heck out of me too. Make my whole screen look so weird and dark.

MoonGred

Gtx1080
4690K OC
16Gb
3440x1440

The game's stutter is driving me nuts and for the life of me can't get a stable fps, constant drops for 60 to 30 for no reason what so ever. Not to mention the IQ at 3440x1440 the whole game looks like a blur with the exception of your space ship.
I wasn't expecting insane graphical fidelity but this really is something else.

Finally able to install the game (lawn mowing, supper, etc).

Will post back with results..quick summary of my Dell XPS 15 laptop.

Intel I7-6700HQ
16GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 960M 2GB
512GB SSD
1080p FHD screen

First run: ran not too bad. Default settings set at Medium and @ 30FPS. 1080P as well. When I control of my character, there was a bit of stutter when moving around or changing my view (viewing left & right). I changed settings to high but then quite as it said to restart to apply settings. Going to turn Geforce Experience now and see how it goes afterwards.

Garuda1One

Have the steam version running at 1440p at 60 fps with a very few drops here and there and no stuttering

GTX 1080
i7 4770k
16GB DDR3
installed on a HDD

and i cant stop playing, just took off from my first planet !

~Kinggi~

Banned
you thought they wouldn't patch the game?

Or you mean work on the weekend?

well, i mean its like middle of the am over there right now i think. They clearly care about the game. Its easy to paint them as comic book villains by scamming everyone 60$ for a 'broken' game but really im sure some of these issues werent expected. Either way their choices are dont work on it, or do work on it, constantly until big issues are fixed. Im disappointed but have faith these guys will pull through with patches.

First run: ran not too bad. Default settings set at Medium and @ 30FPS. 1080P as well. When I control of my character, there was a bit of stutter when moving around or changing my view (viewing left & right). I changed settings to high but then quite as it said to restart to apply settings. Going to turn Geforce Experience now and see how it goes afterwards.

Second run (no geforce optimization yet. OK runs better now after increasing my FPS up to 60. Detail all on high. Lowering Anisotropic Filtering from 4 to 2 to see if theres any improvement....bit improving but not much. But the game is very playable, which is great news...

know what's better...got a great planet.

Stoze

Alright now that I've played some more, definitely having some disappointing performance with my 980ti & 6700k. Space is rock solid, but on planet scanning or mining almost always seems to jump it below 60fps at 1440p. I get strong hitches every so often as well. Honestly I'd be ok with this stuff if the game actually had the looks to support it, it really should be running better. The game just overall doesn't seem like it's ready for PC, like having to hold down the mouse when you select anything in the UI is laughable.

Also does anyone know how to extend the Afterburner graphs so I can see further than the past 5 or so minutes?

Eyothrie

So disappointed. Doesn't run well at all. Might get a refund and just go with the PS4 version. Haven't seen many complain about that version.

Update from Hello Games

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672137536640057/

1. We have updated our support page with some common issues and workarounds http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/pc-support/
2. We have updated the auto response from support@hellogames.co.uk to help suggest common fixes, and help gather better info
3. We have filed tickets for everyone who has mailed support and are responding to them in turn.
4. We have gotten back to a lot of people already, who were trying to run the game significantly below min spec.
5. Additionally your bug reports have shown us a handful of key issues we are working to resolve

We’re pulling an all nighter to get through as many issues as soon as possible. Please try to be nice :)

We have been working to get back to people on our three most common crashes on start up:
• Running the game with an Intel card. This is not supported
• No Man's Sky is an OpenGL 4.5 game, and requires latest drivers on most cards, please update
• VC++ Redist 2010 was not included by default. We have updated in a patch, please restart

We are going to create an experimental branch with hot fixes for these most common known issues:
• Shader Cache issue – means that framerate is initially stuttering on some cards. Whilst it resolves itself over time (~1 hour of play), we will fix this issue in a patch.
• SSE 4 – for CPUs that do not support SSE 4, it is causing the game to crash on boot (some of these area technically below min spec, but we don’t want it to crash!)
• Mouse controls jitter on foot – this caused by a combination of certain resolution and GFX card. A fix is in progress.

Some players who have filed a support ticket will begin to be directed towards the experimental branch whilst we test solutions to these issues.

If your issues are not listed above please do mail support@hellogames.co.uk

Klyka

Banned
I just played over 2 hours of the GoG standalone version.
No GoG Galaxy.

It runs so much better than the Steam version,it might as well be a different game.
Non of the crazy "entire PC comes to a halt" stutters and perfectly playable.
All settings max, 1080p on a 970.

And reading about the "shader cache" thing, I definitely noticed the game running better after playing for longer.

Btw, warp jump loading times on PC are like, 6 seconds. SO much nicer than on PS4

King_Moc

Banned
Their Steam Community post is promising. It's not as bad for me as I initially thought. The odd hiccup here and there, mostly seems to be while using the scanner, weirdly.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, i have 980ti, 6700k, 16 ddr4.

First run was bad, really bad stutters and stops.

Changed graphics options to max, disabled v-sync, fps to max, set fov to 100. Set borderless window.

Set NV control panel vsync on, 16 AF, triple buffering on.

2nd run of game has slight stutters. First time doing some actions like entering ship there are pauses, but now game is fairly smooth. Stuttering is very minimal.

So overall after hearing all the bad shit im not that disappointed as i have come prepared with the easy steps to minimize the issues, but yeah i think the fact that pauses happen usually the first time you do things make me think this is some caching issue.

Arksy

Anyone else having an issue with minimising and maximising the game? It's annoying having to restart every time you want to minimise.

Dropping back in to say that I feel like the shader cache theory (or something similar) seems to be true. I had ungodly terrible stuttering for the first half hour or so but once I flew to space and played a bit more I basically have had no stuttering and the framerate has been rather solid. Was considering refunding it during that first ~ hour but the gameplay and performance has been great since then so I'm kinda glad I didn't!

Stoze

What resolution were you running it at?

The GoG running better than the Steam version is weird, I wonder if it is just the overlay or something else. I wanna play more to test out stuff but I'm getting close to the 2 hour mark.

zXe

Do nvidia users set v-sync On in the control panel when playing this? The reason I ask is I've been experimenting and I find having it on causes a lot of framerate issues though it does fix the screen tearing. However if I don't turn it on and just cap the fps with RTSS it get a pretty solid smooth 60fps but with tearing.

Key in game settings (GOG Version)

Borderless 1080p (fullscreen also made no difference)
V-sync Off
FPS = Max

System

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
GTX 970 (latest drivers)
8GB Memory

~Kinggi~

Banned
What resolution were you running it at?

The GoG running better than the Steam version is weird, I wonder if it is just the overlay or something else. I wanna play more to test out stuff but I'm getting close to the 2 hour mark.

1080p, on steam version. I run on a TV so fps is always 60 maxed out. Not really using all the power. The more you explore the less stuttering there is. The settings i changed definitely helped a lot though it seems. Hope they can iron out the rest of the issues. Overall though im not really disappointed. Was expecting a disaster but with the fixes it seems ok. I imagine flying to different planets is gonna introduce a few more pauses though.

kris.

Banned
so i get to the splash screen and the entirety of Steam crashes

what the fuck

(gtx 970, i5 4670k, 16gb ram pls help i want to play so badly)

Backlogger

My R9 290 is running pretty hot compared to other games that I would consider to be more demanding. Currently at 82 C

Is that too hot? Anyone else having this issue?

Gonna go clean out my tower real quick to see if it helps.

Do nvidia users set v-sync On in the control panel when playing this? The reason I ask is I've been experimenting and I find having it on causes a lot of framerate issues though it does fix the screen tearing. However if I don't turn it on and just cap the fps with RTSS it get a pretty solid smooth 60fps but with tearing.

Key in game settings

Borderless 1080p (fullscreen also made no difference)
V-sync Off
FPS = Max

System

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
GTX 970 (latest drivers)
8GB Memory

Just turned off V-sync and restarting.....seems to be a bit better but there's some stuttering...totally playable though. Bought from GOG, not steam if that makes a difference.

Windows 10 Home
I7 6700HQ
Geforce 960M (2gb)
16GB Ram

~Kinggi~

Banned
Also a weird thing to note, im on Win 10 64bit, whenever i attempt to launch the game from steam first time, it says preparing to launch, and then nothing happens. If i attempt the second time, it launches fine. If i quit the game, i have to redo the same cycle of trying once then trying again. I wonder if this is related to the crash on launch issues. I dont get errors, it just seems to not do anything the first time.

Also a weird thing to note, im on Win 10 64bit, whenever i attempt to launch the game from steam first time, it says preparing to launch, and then nothing happens. If i attempt the second time, it launches fine. If i quit the game, i have to redo the same cycle of trying once then trying again. I wonder if this is related to the crash on launch issues. I dont get errors, it just seems to not do anything the first time.

My friend has that with Doom. Always has to do it twice. He hasn't managed to work out why.

Grief.exe

First run was bad, really bad stutters and stops.

Changed graphics options to max, disabled v-sync, fps to max, set fov to 100. Set borderless window.

Set NV control panel vsync on, 16 AF, triple buffering on.

2nd run of game has slight stutters. First time doing some actions like entering ship there are pauses, but now game is fairly smooth. Stuttering is very minimal.

So overall after hearing all the bad shit im not that disappointed as i have come prepared with the easy steps to minimize the issues, but yeah i think the fact that pauses happen usually the first time you do things make me think this is some caching issue.

Try turning off Steam Overlay, report back.

Does alt tabbing cause the game to crash?

Anyways, it runs fairly poorly so far. I have a 970, i5 3570k, 12gb ram. It's stuttering frequently. I wasn't expecting this to have any issues running.

Honestly though, the game in it's entirety just feels janky. Like something feels off about the whole thing. I think I might refund it. I'm not having fun so far.

thenameDS

The initial start sequence was awful, so many drops and stutters. Made some changes and also set fov to 140, much better now but still feel some drops and stutters. Shame really.. the game is not particularly pretty either.

i3-6300
GTX 970
16GB DDR4-3000

shiyrley

Banned
Game is running great for me.

GTX 1070
i5 2500 stock
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bits
GOG version

Game runs at around 80 FPS usually, peaks to 106 FPS in space, and never goes bellow 70 FPS. Some stutters when getting near planets and landing but that's it.

Everything maxed out, included shadows at ultra, but AA is off. 2560x1440. Vsync off, FPS cap set to max, and borderless windowed.

kris.

Banned
yup, first two times i've tried launching and it's crashed both the game and Steam, third time it crashed my entire system and i had to reboot. now it's just the game. i've got the most up-to-date drivers, my rig should be able to handle this. :(

edit: these crashes are like immediate. as soon as the Hello Games splash screen shows up

double edit: and yet now somehow Steam says i've played the game 22 minutes? what the fuck

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there a way to free look with the mouse when in your ship?

Dartastic

yup, first two times i've tried launching and it's crashed both the game and Steam, third time it crashed my entire system and i had to reboot. now it's just the game. i've got the most up-to-date drivers, my rig should be able to handle this. :(

edit: these crashes are like immediate. as soon as the Hello Games splash screen shows up
First time I launched the game it was fine and I played for 119 minutes. Second time I went to launch it it crashed my system at the Hello Games logo and now it won't load at all. What. The. Fuck.

That crash made me hit the 2 hour mark. I really, really hope that Steam will process my refund because this is horseshit.

Top Bottom