• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky | PC Performance Thread

Ortis

Neo Member
AMD R9 280 (3GB)
i5 4460
8GB RAM
WINDOWS 10 (Anniversary)
Latest driver by AMD.

The game at first launched with an awul 4:3 resolution and all at medium and it ran like shit. Good way to make you wonder on the first planet you see. That's really a let down.

Changed resoluton to 1920x1200 and all options to high (except shadows on medium), v-sync off, FPS to MAX. The game run generally well, stutter is present but very infrequently.

OneUh8

Sucks to hear about everyone's performance issues. Played for 4 hours last night. Almost always 100+ fps. Lots of times I was stuck at my monitors max 144hz. Do have the occasional hitch, but it is super rare. Mostly when entering a new planets atmosphere it will do it.

my rig:

16GB DDR4 3000
GTX 1070

Also have the game installed on a SSD.

Leetums

Well even after seeing everyone having issues, all the negative reviews, i went ahead and bought the game anyway,

It runs at a constant, flawless 60fps, maxed out, even with 4X SSAA. With 8gb ddr3 1600, fx8350@ 4.8ghz, and a gtx970. So not EVERYONE is having problems.

Zafir

When I was playing yesterday I was having decent performance. Even with max settings I was getting at least 30FPS at 1440p.

I'd like to try and get it 60FPS at 1440p, but not managed to so far, with a few settings turned down I did manage to get it to stay at 60FPS sometimes. Other than that it would be nice if you could mess with the post processing, specifically there seems to be a bit of chromatic aberration and visor scanlines.

PC:
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia 970 GTX
Windows 10

Edit: WIl have to try messing with vsync/frame capping to see if that helps.

I moved my GPU to my HTPC as I've been working on my main rig....

So right not I have my 290x paired with my HTPC's A10 7850K w/ 8GBRAM. The game is saved on SSD. What CPU intensive settings should I turn down? Having to restart the game after every settings change is making trial and error ridiculous. I'm playing 1080p fwiw.

I've turned off shader cache and I'm using driver settings for AFx16. Still a stuttering mess, though.

And vsync just doesn't work... Even with it on I'm getting screen tearing and stuttering. With it off and borderless windowed? Screen tears and stutter...

Anybody with a similar setup that's found something that works?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Seeing everyone in his thread with rigs less powerful than mine getting great (or at the vey least good) Performence gives me hope. Hopefully with some tweaking I can fix whatever issue is currently plauging my game and I can join in the fun.

Just got home, going to reinstall on the SSD and try and tweak away.

mxgt

Banned
Still haven't had any real performance issues.

Locked it to 60 frames and I'm now running DSR 4865x2036 with no major frame drops. Game is starting to pretty good.

Zojirushi

And vsync just doesn't work... Even with it on I'm getting screen tearing and stuttering. With it off and borderless windowed? Screen tears and stutter...

Anybody with a similar setup that's found something that works?

Sounds like the usual OpenGL mess on AMD to me. Not sure if there's a consistent fix for this I think for me the only solution was always to either disable Vsynch and accept the tearing or enable Vsynch and hope the stutters aren't completely ruining everything.

charpunk

Just making sure I am not crazy - do other people get weird static on some of the darker textures? Things like monoliths and space stations have some oddly specific static that flicker, especially in the dark.

You're not crazy, happens to me on both the PC and ps4 versions.

Can we get banned from using this in-game?

If you were going to get caught and punished somehow, it would be for using the gameplay cheats in a way that was obvious to the game's server. Given how almost all of the game is offline, that would have to be something like marching across the galaxy naming stuff at some prodigious rate.

As ever, use caution, and bear in mind you'll basically solve the entire crafting and gathering component of the game at once by using cash or resource cheats.

Pjsprojects

It runs at a constant, flawless 60fps, maxed out, even with 4X SSAA. With 8gb ddr3 1600, fx8350@ 4.8ghz, and a gtx970. So not EVERYONE is having problems.

Not flawless but runs good enough for me,also on an AMD system see page 41.

A very hit and miss game!

~Cross~

Here is an issue the game is having with people just starting or having switched gpu drivers.

The game utilizes procedural shaders, and these need to be generated when the game boots up. HGs decided that it would be ok to just have them generate while in game, thats a horrible decision because it causes the stuttering you are seeing.

The more you play the less stuttering you'll have. You'll still drop a ton if you run into a particular system that has shaders you've never encountered which is what I guess its happening to some. A few hours into the game and I'm not really stuttering anymore, even when I close out and start again.

Now here's the thing, the way these things work need your gpu to be in sync with the games client. So any changes to it will cause all those shaders to be regenerated. So switching gpus or even getting new drivers causes it.

So finally got around to running this last night. Everything max aside from shadows and reflections, capped at 60 with RTSS and forced AF through NCP. i5 4690k and 970.

Get a fairly smooth 60fps unless it's loading a new section for a split second. The weird thing is my inventory. If I'm looking at the ship inventory the fps dives to around 40 and stays there. If I move to suit or gun it goes back to 60. Very weird. Also, first two planets were fairly smooth but my 3rd planet was some barren radiation planet with no signs of gas effects anywhere and it ran at around 45ish. No idea why, it had less effects than the first two planets.

Another odd thing was going into a base on the 3rd planet with a spinning red light inside. My frame rate plummeted to 30 just because of the light. What a mess.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Well even after seeing everyone having issues, all the negative reviews, i went ahead and bought the game anyway,

Damn. On a single 970 at 1080p? Can't wait to have mine running at something similar. Hopefully at higher resolution.

diaspora

If you were going to get caught and punished somehow, it would be for using the gameplay cheats in a way that was obvious to the game's server. Given how almost all of the game is offline, that would have to be something like marching across the galaxy naming stuff at some prodigious rate.

As ever, use caution, and bear in mind you'll basically solve the entire crafting and gathering component of the game at once by using cash or resource cheats.
Yeah, given the game is essentially single player being banned wouldn't mean much on the first place if they somehow bizarrely caught you.
Sprint cheat when?

Coffinhal

Now the game is at 30fps for a reason I ignore.

3440x1440 with 1070/i7-6700/16GB.

Still playable but this breaks immersion in a game that is based on immersion.

So I know someone else mentioned this and I can't try it, but Reddit is also now saying going to the config file and setting the gsync setting to FALSE (it's on TRUE by default) and also going to task manager and setting nms.exe priority to high gives quite a massive fps boost.

Can anyone without a gsync monitor try this and report back??

Bl@de

Ok. So I was curious and bought it (yeah, I know. I shouldn't)

First of all, my system: Xeon E3-1230 v3 (@MCE) | GTX 980 Ti @ 1.403/3.910 MHz | 16GB DDR3 | Windows 10 x64 | Driver version 368.81

I have the GOG Version

Turned off Shader Cache with Nvidia Inspector

Vsync Off (I have a GSync monitor), Max FPS, all settings maxed out, 1440p, 4xSSAA, Fullscreen

My first planet had some vegetation (and was beautiful) with nice underground caves. The second planet was basically Mars with huge gold deposits.

Performance:
- 60-80fps with more vegetation (most of the time it's 75-80)
- 100fps on empty planets
- 100fps in space
- No stuttering, smooth Gsynced gameplay
- No crashes yet (but I've only played one hour)

So far, so good.

So I know someone else mentioned this and I can't try it, but Reddit is also now saying going to the config file and setting the gsync setting to FALSE (it's on TRUE by default) and also going to task manager and setting nms.exe priority to high gives quite a massive fps boost.

Doesn't make a difference for me.

I finally played the game last night.

I played 6 straight hours without any crashes or glitches.

I maxed all the settings and set it to max FPS, borderless window.

I left vsync OFF and used my GPU's G-sync instead.

I had some minor stuttering like everyone else, but it wasn't game-breaking and it seemed to only happen whenever I exited my spaceship.

GTX 980-8GB, i7 6700K, Windows 10, 16GB DDR4, Samsung SSD.

I play at 1080p and the framerate stayed at 60fps almost the entire time.

So, I have no technical complaints on my end, which is shocking to me. Reading this thread yesterday, seeing people with similar systems to mine having so many problems I figured I would be asking for a Steam refund after 1 hour. But I was 6 hours in before I just fell asleep at like 2AM in the morning.

I spent 6 hours straight on my starting planet and still have a TON of points of interest to check out. I found TWO spaceships on my planet and actually moved into one of them because it had an extra slot and upgraded. I am still searching for two more animals to scan so I can complete the scanning-for-credits achievement thingy.

Funny thing about this - I don't want to leave my planet. I know the next planet I go to I'll have to basically do everything all over again.

I didn't have any noticeable "pop-in" when playing, but I did notice some weird "fuzz-in" once in a while. Fuzz-in must be NMS's version of pop in? Instead of textures and object popping- in, they seemed to be fuzzy and then de-blurred as I approached. It was way way out and only when was cruising around the surface in my ship. So, not a big deal. Just weird.

Oh - one other thing if you haven't got the game yet - you can CHOOSE your starting planet. When I first booted up the game, I exited the game after changing the visual settings and then reloaded the game. If you don't save the game at the beginning, you'll be placed on a different starting planet. You can keep entering and exiting the starting planets over and over again until you get one that you like. I got one that was LOADED with minerals and plants and animals. Not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but it worked for me. In case you start off on a crap planet with hardly anything on it. Don't enter your ship, don't rename the planet and don't upload any scans until you are placed on a planet that is loaded with stuff. Just wait for the intro to end, look around and if the planet looks empty, exit to desktop and reboot the game and wait for the next planet to load.

That's it for now. Good luck getting your PC's configured. It really is a fun and addictive game once you get your PC working with it.

Klyka

Banned
GoG version with Shader Cache off works well for me.
Some FPS drops, but no stuttering at all, just sometimes when I land on a planet there will be a tiny bit of loading, but it's like not even a second.

So GoG version is ok.

Munter

Ok. So I was curious and bought it (yeah, I know. I shouldn't)

First of all, my system: Xeon E3-1230 v3 (@MCE) | GTX 980 Ti @ 1.403/3.910 MHz | 16GB DDR3 | Windows 10 x64 | Driver version 368.81

I have the GOG Version

Turned off Shader Cache with Nvidia Inspector

Vsync Off (I have a GSync monitor), Max FPS, all settings maxed out, 1440p, 4xSSAA, Fullscreen

My first planet had some vegetation (and was beautiful) with nice underground caves. The second planet was basically Mars with huge gold deposits.

Performance:
- 60-80fps with more vegetation (most of the time it's 75-80)
- 100fps on empty planets
- 100fps in space
- No stuttering, smooth Gsynced gameplay
- No crashes yet (but I've only played one hour)

So far, so good.

Similar performance on my PC, i7 6700k, 16GB RAM, 1070 gfx card. Had no problems at all since changing the settings (again, same as you).

zXe

GOG version

For me the only way I can play this game smoothly is to use no v-sync in game or any of the nvidia control panel v-sync options such as on, adaptive, adaptive (half-refresh rate).
So in the nvidia control panel instead I have v-sync set to 'Use 3D application setting
I keep shader cache on because if I turn it off it's a stutter fest and I've tried fullscreen and borderless.

So the only way I can play this at a - for the most part - smooth 60fps is to accept having screen tearing and use RTSS to cap framerate to 60. That's the only way I can play this and enjoy the game. I've even tried D3DOverrider which doesn't seem to do anything.

I can't be the only nvidia user to have issues with control panel v-sync as well as the games v-sync?

GOG version

For me the only way I can play this game smoothly is to use no v-sync in game or any of the nvidia control panel v-sync options such as on, adaptive, adaptive (half-refresh rate).
So in the nvidia control panel instead I have v-sync set to 'Use 3D application setting
I keep shader cache on because if I turn it off it's a stutter fest and I've tried fullscreen and borderless.

So the only way I can play this at a - for the most part - smooth 60fps is to accept having screen tearing and use RTSS to cap framerate to 60. That's the only way I can play this and enjoy the game. I've even tried D3DOverrider which doesn't seem to do anything.

I can't be the only nvidia user to have issues with control panel v-sync as well as the games v-sync?

Over rider doesn't work on OpenGL.

Vsync should work fine though with the Fps cap at max.

Enforcer

Seems like no matter what I do, what options I adjust, I get a solid 35 FPS.

My specs:
i7-4790k (stock speeds)
AMD R2 290 (roughly 10% overclock)
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Installed on an SSD (Samsung 830 series)
Windows 10

I did the stuff in the OP (turned off in game AF and forced it via drivers, shader cache off, v-sync off, running borderless and framerate max) and while the game no longer stutters, it still stays right around 35 FPS. I've also been dialing down the effects quality step by step, but that oddly doesn't seem to affect my framerate at all either. I'm kind of baffled by that, quite frankly.

Anyone know of anything else I can try? Did I miss something here?

My FPS was identical before and after trying this, but I'm on an AMD GPU, so I don't know if this would have worked for me anyway.

zXe

Over rider doesn't work on OpenGL.

Vsync should work fine though with the Fps cap at max.
I didn't realise that about D3DOverrider, thanks for the info. I have max fps in game and yea with any other game, nvidia control panel v-sync and cap with RTSS etc has been fine, in fact in most games I don't even need to use RTSS except for like witcher 3 when using the control panel v-sync. This is why it has me so confused, but if I use it in this game it's a bad experience. I've tried all of different options mentioned previous such as adaptive etc as well as trying them in fullscreen and borderless mode just to see if there is any difference.

Pjsprojects

GoG version with Shader Cache off works well for me.
Some FPS drops, but no stuttering at all, just sometimes when I land on a planet there will be a tiny bit of loading, but it's like not even a second.

So GoG version is ok.

This is looking a bit like the Gog version runs better. Mine is also from Gog and runs fine now I've turned vsync off. I also have no problems with alt/tab in and out.

KainXVIII

Can you post some screens with SSAA 4x? I don't think it works for me (and for you either, because i don't think that gtx 970 can handle it)

Backlogger

Seems like no matter what I do, what options I adjust, I get a solid 35 FPS.

My specs:
i7-4790k (stock speeds)
AMD R2 290 (roughly 10% overclock)
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Installed on an SSD (Samsung 830 series)
Windows 10

I did the stuff in the OP (turned off in game AF and forced it via drivers, shader cache off, v-sync off, running borderless and framerate max) and while the game no longer stutters, it still stays right around 35 FPS. I've also been dialing down the effects quality step by step, but that oddly doesn't seem to affect my framerate at all either. I'm kind of baffled by that, quite frankly.

Anyone know of anything else I can try? Did I miss something here?

My FPS was identical before and after trying this, but I'm on an AMD GPU, so I don't know if this would have worked for me anyway.

You and I have similar setups and my FPS is usually at least 44-50 but goes higher in some situations.

What resolution are you running at? Which anti aliasing setting are you using?

What do your temps look like on the graphics card?

mario_O

i7 2700K @4.3Ghz + 16GB Ram 2133.
MSI 980Ti Gaming 6g

Nothing seems to work here, no magic fix. My CPU chokes when I'm moving, goes from 30% up to 85-90% usage, and the frames drop to the 30-40s for a second or two. Very annoying. Maybe Sandybridge just can't deliver 60fps. :(

It's possible that the GoG version runs better as it doesn't have Steams overlay (obviously). Disable that in the Steam version and see if there are any improvements.

Top Bottom