• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky | PC Performance Thread

Not sure what that latest patch did but it feels a lot smoother to me.

Frametimes have improved as well. There are still spikes but it's better than it was.

wDctkBQ.png

So are people getting smooth performance still leaving Shader Cache disabled?

I haven't tried to latest patch, but night before last on the 2nd Xperimental one I was having shitty performance after reverting my settings. Once I turned shader cache off again and deleted the folder items it seemed to run smooth. This was after they said they fixed the caching issue...

jarosh

I'm out. There was a brief period when a combination of obscure settings and fixes, the old regular branch pre-patch and the old nvidia drivers gave me a stable framerate with no stuttering. But that's been gone for a while now. Somehow I still put 20+ hours into this, but I just can't put up with any of it anymore. I'll check back in a few weeks or months to see if there have been any significant patches to improve things. For now, I've had enough of all the technical issues, bugs, crashes, and the perpetual stuttering. Ugh.

Unicorn

dude fuck geforce experience. I can't fucking update my drivers at all. shit freezes or errors or locks up and I can't do shit. going on 24 hours now trying to just update drivers.

robgrab

The spell has officially been broken. With this latest patch and NVIDIA's "officially supported" drivers the game has only gotten worse for me. After struggling with stuttering and pausing now I can no longer save my progress. It keeps loading my save game from last night (pre-patch). I've tried everything I can think of to force it to save. I get in and out of my ship, I fly to other settlements and "raise the flag." trigger new signals but it WILL NOT SAVE. I spent about a half hour hoarding Vortex Cubes and racking up a few million Units only to have it not save any of it! I really hope Hello Games continues to patch this game and add the features they promised but right now it just feels like an expensive early access game. I still think it has the potential to be something special but right now it's just not.

noomi

Holy shit, I finally fixed my fullscreen alt+tab issue.

Ever since the release and even after todays patch, I have not been able to play in fullscreen. Any time I would alt+tab or even quit the game my screen would go black and completely freeze my computer, the only way to get back was to hold the power button and force my PC off and reboot.

I noticed that everytime this happened my custom toolbar (in the taskbar) would re-arrange all of my icons and even sometimes delete them. So I figured I would just get rid of the toolbar all together, and it fixed my problem....I can alt+tab and quit the game now without locking up... Who wouod have thought?

I doubt anyone had this same issue, but just in case... There you have it.

dude fuck geforce experience. I can't fucking update my drivers at all. shit freezes or errors or locks up and I can't do shit. going on 24 hours now trying to just update drivers.

The last few days Nvidia's driver servers have been ULTRA slow, to the point where I'd have it error out in the middle of downloads through the Geforce experience app.

You can still download the drivers from their website, which while still pretty slow, at least seems to not error out or cancel halfway through. Then you can do a full, clean install of the drivers and not have to worry about that buggy Geforce experience nonsense.

dr_rus

You know that you can just download them off the website, right?

Unicorn

I finally resolved it. I have a tiny SSD and I cleared out almost 4 gigs of previous update installers. Why nvidia or geforce thinks I need the installer for drivers from 4 years ago still sitting there is beyond me. up to date now.

Time to get some mods in.
You know that you can just download them off the website, right?

couldn't find a link - always directed to a geforce experience download. resolved now though.

I still don't know how to turn off shader cache. aaaaaand i found it. lol

holy shit what a difference. flying had almost no stuttering and on foot looks smooth. I tried turning on triple buffering but I don't think it's working.

So I'm on a 970. Anyone using DSR to pump up the res? I heard about some internal resolution mod as apparently it works better than DSR? Is that still the case?

I don't mind dropping to 30fps if I can downsample.

Unai

I would say that my performance is pretty good now. Latest patch, latest drive, 1080p, everything maxed and FXAA. i7 2700k OG, GTX 970. Sorry about the photo instead of a print. It was on my second monitor and I didn't want to alt+tab.

JarrodL

The new patch on GOG version visibly improved performance for me. Still some minor stuttering here and there when flying, but much smoother than it used to be overall.

Grassy

Any G-Sync users? Tried this on release day and whilst my frame rate was at about 100fps, The game constantly hitched and stuttered.

Yeah(Acer XB270HU here). I started getting really bad tearing/input lag/stuttering after installing the Game Ready drivers(368.81 were fine for me after I alt-tabbed out and back in...more on that below), but changing my desktop refresh rate from 120hz to 144hz has fixed it for me.

I think it's a bug I've been getting since the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Where when the refresh rate of the desktop is set to 120hz(to avoid the 144hz 'power bug'), I have to alt-tab out of every game after I launch it, otherwise the framerate is locked at 60fps until I alt-tab out and back in again, and then the framerate is unlocked.
However, if my desktop refresh rate is set to 144hz then my in-game framerate is unlocked as normal.

Hope that makes sense....it's too early in the morning for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saiyan-Rox

new patch is working really well for me. everything is maxxed out and so far the only stutter i get is when I destory loads at once.

Someone who is more versed in tech than me: Should I be getting 15 fps across the board on the default settings, all workarounds of the op applied, on a FX 8320 OC to 4.0, 16gb Ram and R9380 4gb? Im about to give up on this game.

I don't think anyone has answered this, so I'll give it a shot. I've got the same GPU, a Sapphire R9380 4GB, 8GB of 2666mhz RAM and an i3 6100. So our systems are probably roughly comparable. On the experimental build I get 40-60fps almost all of the time with everything on high, running at 1680x1050 (which is approx 15% less pixels than 1080p, by my maths).

In short, you should almost definitely be getting better FPS than that. I did disable the shader cache and V-Sync back when I first downloaded the release version, haven't touched those settings even when I switched to the experimental build.

But it seems like you just can't say anything for certain about this game in terms of what performance you should or shouldn't have!

Edit: I do have one unique thing tho, I'm running a minor overclock using the Z170 board and special drivers so my CPU is at 4100mhz instead of the usual 3700mhz. Shouldn't make a massive difference tho.

c0Zm1c

Disabling SLI in the game's profile fixed nearly all of the stuttering for me. Bye bye 60fps though. :( So it looks like SLI/multi-GPU support needs some work.

I can actually run the game at nearly max settings now, locked at 30fps on my aging GTX690 (don't think I'll keep those settings however - it cooks the GPU!)

Mouse control is awful in 30fps though. Dropping sensitivity to 0, and raising smoothing to 100 helps. It's incredibly floaty but far better than the alternative of having it juddering all over the place as I try to look around!

Jonbo298

The patch tankes my performance ( cant get it above 20 fps) and deleted my saves. Those statements about "1%" of people having issues seen damage control as hell.

It tanked my performance also. I was getting practically solid 60fps when it wasn't stuttering and hitching. The experimental, now live, patch dropped it to 20-30fps but the stuttering/hitching is basically non-existent. It's not what I'd like to see but it's still playable (thank god it's not a fast paced game). The save deletion though, yikes. Did you try these suggestions? http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672304897008888/
It's an attempt at damage control that never works. It feels more like a slap in the face when they make statements like that. Just because 1% of the people went out of their way to email "support" (aka, let's respond with the same script) does not mean only 1% are having problems.

If it's anything like the PS4 patch notes..

snip

(Gertsmann picture)

Sony has strongly influenced them then. All I can think of is Sony and "stability" updates.

jorimt

It tanked my performance also. I was getting practically solid 60fps when it wasn't stuttering and hitching. The experimental, now live, patch dropped it to 20-30fps but the stuttering/hitching is basically non-existent. It's not what I'd like to see but it's still playable (thank god it's not a fast paced game).

It may sound ridiculous, and not end up working for you, but if you already have the framerate cap set to "Max," have you tried going into the graphics options, and hitting the "apply" button again while in-game? Sometimes it can "unstick" the framerate; the in-game frame cap really is very broken.

Also, if you haven't already, you can also try experimental again, as they updated it (again) since they rolled it into the live branch.

TheRed

My game ran really well today at 4k on my 1080, had a great time. was 60+ fps unless when mining it dropped into the 50s but that doesn't bother me much.

Jonbo298

It may sound ridiculous, and not end up working for you, but if you already have the framerate cap set to "Max," have you tried going into the graphics options, and hitting the "apply" button again while in-game? Sometimes it can "unstick" the framerate; the in-game frame cap really is very broken.

Also, if you haven't already, you can also try experimental again, as they updated it (again) since they rolled it into the live branch.

I have not tried those yet but since I was just in game when I saw this, I went ahead and changed it, applied, changed back to Max, hit apply and quit out for a moment. For now I've also removed any visual mods (regrettably) until the devs optimize the base game better.

So, having tried the new experimental, a few things stood out on changes. When doing a scan, things like Heridium pylons or other elements you can mine that have the green boxes around them when scanned, will stand out for a much longer period of time and further away. I noticed also that if I watch the scan as it spreads outward, it will highlight those same things that are underground for a moment (Pretty sure it didn't do the underground part before). Example below, forgot to screenshot the underground look.

Also, they definitely resolved the blurry texture look. I think the internal rendering now matches the resolution you set it to. I removed the mod that lets you set the internal resolution (used the default 1.00) and I see no difference in visual quality. I'm pretty sure they also toned down the massive DOF.
The blueprints bug may have been fixed. I know for a fact the +3 Stamina Boost was bugged for me and a Korvax just gave it to me and I wasn't told I already had it and it's in my blueprints now!
There is a new minor bug now. Whenever I enter a doorway, it's almost like the character is having to walk over something right on the open doorway. When trying to exit, it will not go over the invisible box and a quick tap of the jetpack while moving forward gets me out the doors now.
Other minor things I noticed is in the anti-aliasing options, it now says Ultra before SSAA 4x. When I was adjusting the Max FPS, I saw 90 and 110 as an option. Not sure if that was there before but I thought it was just 30/60/Max before.

Thus far after removing the visual mods, I'm more consistently getting around 60fps but still get the occasional drops to 20-30fps but it's happening far less. I think this is due to the internal resolution and DOF smearfest being fixed. Still needs a lot of optimization but it's progress.

Landford

Banned
It tanked my performance also. I was getting practically solid 60fps when it wasn't stuttering and hitching. The experimental, now live, patch dropped it to 20-30fps but the stuttering/hitching is basically non-existent. It's not what I'd like to see but it's still playable (thank god it's not a fast paced game). The save deletion though, yikes. Did you try these suggestions? http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672304897008888/
It's an attempt at damage control that never works. It feels more like a slap in the face when they make statements like that. Just because 1% of the people went out of their way to email "support" (aka, let's respond with the same script) does not mean only 1% are having problems.

Tried those methods about the saves but none worked. What I did, though, is remove the game completely, and made steam install it on a HDD instead of my SSD it was before. Performance is now comparable to yours, about 30ish with dips to 20 and up to 40 rarely. What really makes me mad is that the dips happen when NOTHING is going on on the game.

ISee

Great. Now I can't leave my current system. Every time I press 'M' to enter the Map the game crashes. The game is unplayable now.

This is crazy. My pc is an ancient Core 2 Duo E6700 rig with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM and the game functions just fine with the recent update! Just FYI, I also have a 970 that is being severely bottlenecked because of said CPU/Chipset/RAM config....

I am running at close to 30 fps/1080p with low settings, but the game functions! The minimum specs should just be disregarded. Try to run the game, and if it doesn't oh well...

THIS IS JUST NUTS FOLKS! SHOULD I FEEL LUCKY OR GRATEFUL THAT HG WAS ABLE TO MAKE MY SYSTEM RUN THIS GAME?

Backlogger

It hard to take a screen shot of it but have they or anyone know if they have plans to fix that really bad texturing during flight on a planet? I think its just really bad pop-in but since you are flying around the textures don't quite follow you correctly if that makes sense.

Even if someone knows a work around to lessen that "effect", it drives me crazy.

H2Yo

So my current rig is:
GTX980Ti
16GB DDR4 3200
1TB SSD
I have a dual screen setup.

When playing No Man's Sky, sometimes I like to watch something on Netflix or Giant Bomb. The thing is, its chug city on both the video I'm watching and NMS.

Is there some particular setting that will stop this. As if my machine can't run both.

Had my first crashes yesterday. Two of them, always when picking up a blueprint from the wall in one of the outposts. Just crash straight to desktop. This is after the patch. Game feels a bit smoother, less hitching.

I cant remember the last game that crashed on me.

xJavonta

Banned
This is crazy. My pc is an ancient Core 2 Duo E6700 rig with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM and the game functions just fine with the recent update! Just FYI, I also have a 970 that is being severely bottlenecked because of said CPU/Chipset/RAM config....

I am running at close to 30 fps/1080p with low settings, but the game functions! The minimum specs should just be disregarded. Try to run the game, and if it doesn't oh well...

THIS IS JUST NUTS FOLKS! SHOULD I FEEL LUCKY OR GRATEFUL THAT HG WAS ABLE TO MAKE MY SYSTEM RUN THIS GAME?

Yeah I'm getting a fairly solid 60 fps/1080p on high on my Core i3 2100 with 8GB of memory and a 970. Crazy to see people with monster pcs barely breaking 30.

noomi

Hmm... wondering if some of you could help me out here and test something.

Mouse sensitivity is wonky.... when the game is set to 30fps the sensitivity is nice and responsive, when setting to max fps even 100 mouse sensitivity feels slow suddenly...

Not sure how mouse sensitivity is even tied to the fps setting....

TheTrain

Guys, the first setting on the options tab it isn't mouse sensitivity but mouse smoothing. Disable it if you want a responsive mouse movement

All these updates and the "ejecting into orbit" glitch and the "let's run at 8 fps" bug are still in despite countless reports online.

I have to say though that it happened only 3-4 times and I've had only a single crash in 32 hours and counting.

I feel like a hit the jackpot xD

noomi

Nope :/

I fully expect notes soon though.

Maybe just placebo but performance seems even better than yestersays patch :)

ISee

Newest Patch fixed my crash to desktop when opening the map bug...

edit: But now it crashes when I try to open a lootbox with a multitool inside. This game is a trainwreck.

Latest patch did nothing.

Water planets are still a no-go for me because fps drops to 45 all the time while everything else in the game is 80+. Even with all settings on low those planets are not playable.

Vuze

Great, the game just crashed after initiating the landing sequence on the second planet without any warning or error whatsoever. I hope I don't have to fly the whole way again...

bongpig

Neo Member
Latest patch did nothing.

Water planets are still a no-go for me because fps drops to 45 all the time while everything else in the game is 80+. Even with all settings on low those planets are not playable.

Me too. Its doing my head in. Even just a few pixels of water in my view halves my framerate. What makes it seem borked is that it doesn't matter if its 5 pixels of water or a whole screenfull - the framerate stays the same. The moment there is no water in view, it shoots right back up again.

As you said, im finding myself leaving planets right away if I find water there. Annoying to say the least.

I was hoping todays patch would do something about it - but your post has saved me the hassle of checking.

To be clear, all other issues are sorted for me. The game runs really well with the exception of the water thing. Im surprised I haven't seen more people complaining about it to be honest.

noomi

After posting yesterday about the alt+tab & quit issue, it's still happening :( I though tI had fixed it but it was only for a few instances.

Now I have to either hard reset my PC or unplug my GPU form the DVI cable and replug it to be able to see my desktop after quitting the game :(

Foddzy

Neo Member
Just a note for those having mouse control issues: I was able to get a Dualshock 4 controller to work by using the DS4Windows software. The game plays well with a controller.

bongpig

Neo Member
One thing I noticed last night is that AF seems to have an absurd affect on framerates, compared with other games. I usually set AF to x16 as it rarely has a significant performance impact. But in this game, on some planets, the difference between x8 and x16 is as much as 20fps. This is the case whether its in-game or in my NV panel.

Worth checking out if you are having framerate issues and not tried fiddling with AF.

After posting yesterday about the alt+tab & quit issue, it's still happening :( I though tI had fixed it but it was only for a few instances.

Now I have to either hard reset my PC or unplug my GPU form the DVI cable and replug it to be able to see my desktop after quitting the game :(

I think a lot of people are using borderless window instead of full screen - apologies if you have already tried that!

NH Apache

Banned
Was playing on 1.04 yesterday (PC) and with an i5 3570 and a gtx 960, I was getting between 50 and 75 fps. Every two hours or so, I am still getting the slowdown where it drops to 15-18 and it is only fixed via restart.

Top Bottom