• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

yes, it may shock you to realise that the ps4 version does look well and runs well too...

what's the joke?

edit :
no it won't ever run better than the pc version, but to accuse it of being a joke performance wise is being disengenuious

I never suggested that the performance was bad, but simply that the visuals are in no way good.

Jac_Solar

"The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger."

I thought that there was only a single galaxy you could roam around in?

"The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger."

Many galaxies, one universe.

We all start in the same galaxy.

Spoiler for late game:
But when you get to the center of that galaxy, you get placed into a NEW galaxy. It's unknown currently how much changes from galaxy to galaxy. As far as we know it's a one-way journey. It's a "Universe" with multiple galaxies.

Lol weird reading that review thread about the day one patch and I just skimmed over the spoilers first part of the the OP here.

"Does the day 1 patch make a difference?"

It's literally an entirely new Universe...?
😭

The game has changed.

Jac_Solar

Many galaxies, one universe.

We all start in the same galaxy.

Spoiler for late game:
But when you get to the center of that galaxy, you get placed into a NEW galaxy. It's unknown currently how much changes from galaxy to galaxy. As far as we know it's a one-way journey. It's a "Universe" with multiple galaxies.

What I mean is, the gameworld is (Apparently.) "limited" to a single active galaxy that, in effect, *can* change, but universe implies (Or, literally means.) a variety of active galaxies.

RexNovis

Banned
The planets rotate and their positions alter.

But for whatever reason they decoupled this from the perceived sunrise/sunset on each planet. Perhaps the 'rotation simulation' way made for days/nights that were way too long, or not enough variety, or something.

So while you're standing on a planet you can look up and see the system's space station rotate away out of sight - but that might not match up at all with the movement of the sun, which is static until it changes at 6am and 7pm.

Thats really disappointing to hear. I dont like that decision at all. I wonder why they opted to standardize day night cycles like that instead of making them accurately reflect the rotation of the planets. Maybe it a hardware constraint issue.

Is there any benefit to getting this for PC over PS4, other than adjustable graphic settings? I want to get this on PC, but I'm also an impatient person.

Unai

Is there any benefit to getting this for PC over PS4, other than adjustable graphic settings? I want to get this on PC, but I'm also an impatient person.

Just the usual:
- More controller options;
- Possibility of future mods even if the developer doesn't officially support them;
- Easy to refund if you don't like it;
- DRM-free if you want;
- G-Sync and Freesync if you have the hardware;

etc.

To be honest, I was almost double dipping the ps4 version so I could play it sooner, but I can't justify it.

Irminsul

The planets rotate and their positions alter.

But for whatever reason they decoupled this from the perceived sunrise/sunset on each planet. Perhaps the 'rotation simulation' way made for days/nights that were way too long, or not enough variety, or something.

So while you're standing on a planet you can look up and see the system's space station rotate away out of sight - but that might not match up at all with the movement of the sun, which is static until it changes at 6am and 7pm.
Wait what? So if I'm targeting the night side of a planet for landing but my internal clock shows 13:00 or something, it'll still be daylight? That's actually very disappointing for me if true, and a big break of immersion.

Didn't Sean promise "real physics" instead of a skybox? So much for that.

Handy Fake

Out of interest...

Regarding the planetary rotation and the fixed sunset/sunrise times; is this not just to fit it to the standardised 24 Hour clock? Does time actually run at the same speed on all planets?

Starviper

Out of interest...

Regarding the planetary rotation and the fixed sunset/sunrise times; is this not just to fit it to the standardised 24 Hour clock? Does time actually run at the same speed on all planets?

No, all planets will have their own unique day/night cycle.

Handy Fake

No, all planets will have their own unique day/night cycle.
Oh yeah, I understand that. But the 24 Hour clock is an Earth based standard. I was just wondering if they were translating the unique cycles into a standard clock so we could understand it. For instance, a "day" might pass in 36 hours on one planet, but 45 seconds on another, and this would be reflected in the speed time passes on the clock... If you get me.

Top Bottom