• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

You know what's great?

These patch details look like a NMS COMMUNITY WISHLIST.

How many patches/updates have you seen for games since - ever, have had a list of almost everything the community has been hoping for in it, with additional stuff for a future update we didn't even think they'd consider but are adding anyway?!?!?!?!!

They are literally giving us everything we asked for or were concerned about that should be included or fixed.

Yeah. It caused me to pre-order the game on PC. I was about to write off the game from watching pre-release streams, but those patch notes fix the major issues with the "gold" build. I'm back on the hype train again.

Raven77

I'm still ultra confused around the whole galaxy / universe thing. Is the goal to get to the middle of the GALAXY or the Universe??? Also, if galaxies are 10x bigger doesnt that mean it takes 10x longer to get to the center? I just dont get it.

MastAndo

I'm still ultra confused around the whole galaxy / universe thing. Is the goal to get to the middle of the GALAXY or the Universe??? Also, if galaxies are 10x bigger doesnt that mean it takes 10x longer to get to the center? I just dont get it.
The goal is to get to the center of the galaxy. To my understanding, the universe is made up of galaxies. Galaxies can be made bigger by being more dense, I suppose. It doesn't necessarily means they have to take significantly longer to navigate through.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know what's great?

These patch details look like a NMS COMMUNITY WISHLIST.

How many patches/updates have you seen for games since - ever, have had a list of almost everything the community has been hoping for in it, with additional stuff for a future update we didn't even think they'd consider but are adding anyway?!?!?!?!!

They are literally giving us everything we asked for or were concerned about that should be included or fixed.

Well said.

Their first impression for support is a great one.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Gonna pick this up on PC - can someone tell me if GOG charge when you place the preorder, or when the game is available?

Ugh is their a huge difference between this the PS4 and PC version? I fuckin hate when games don't release on all platforms at once T_T

The patch seems to hint to me that they might have needed a bit more time to work on the game to get it up to a level they wanted. Must have been quite a bit of crunch time.

Ugh is their a huge difference between this the PS4 and PC version? I fuckin hate when games don't release on all platforms at once T_T

Sadly we know next to nothing about the PC version of the game. In theory, it should be a better version. We'll have to wait until later in the week to know for sure.

Pit

Features will be the same. PC will presumably have >1080p resolutions and 60+fps, more than the 30 or so on PS4.

Then you can suggest that the PC version will have better draw distances and less pop in, but that is all speculation. Probable, but not confirmed.

Pit

No fucking way they did all that in 5 or 6 weeks.

The patch? Nah, half of that would have been done. They just didnt have enough time to get it on the disc as they need to get it to sony to ship and print etc. So they ship the most current build that has all the features working on it, and then add the rest in the patch at release.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Right? They were so good about not talking about features before they were sure they'd be in the game, NPCs for example. To me, having realistic rotation and a day/night cycle based on that rotation is a huge feature and would really add to the immersion. I hope the reason it was axed is explained at some point.

1. Rotation is not axed, it's slower
2. You will never, ever, ever notice. Trust me. It's a non-issue and I am amazed so many people seem to be stuck on it.

Dredd97

All I want for the PC version is 120FPS support.

The fact that we haven't seen the PC port yet is a little scary though.

There is not. Could show up later though.

Sony have sole console rights
as far as we know it will never come to xbox one...

Dredd97

The PS4 version looks well? Is this a joke post?

yes, it may shock you to realise that the ps4 version does look well and runs well too...

what's the joke?

edit :
no it won't ever run better than the pc version, but to accuse it of being a joke performance wise is being disengenuious

1. Rotation is not axed, it's slower
2. You will never, ever, ever notice. Trust me. It's a non-issue and I am amazed so many people seem to be stuck on it.

I didn't mean rotation itself was axed but the way they initially had it implemented is. Now all planets rotate at the same speed. There's no variance to day/night cycle. You could be right about not noticing, I'll find out tomorrow.

Aces&Eights

This is some CD Projekt Red level of support. Sean literally listed most of the "fixes" that the community has been asking for. Plus, what sounds like the future updates will hold...man, this game is going to last me forever. Well, at least until Dark Souls 3 DLC drops, lol

And did I hear the word "free" when talking about future content? If they offer free DLC, HG will get my loyalty for a long, long time.

Roscoe182

This is some CD Projekt Red level of support. Sean literally listed most of the "fixes" that the community has been asking for. Plus, what sounds like the future updates will hold...man, this game is going to last me forever. Well, at least until Dark Souls 3 DLC drops, lol

And did I hear the word "free" when talking about future content? If they offer free DLC, HG will get my loyalty for a long, long time.

you did hear "free" but there will more than likely not be DLC as sean has said its not a game for DLC its a game for features to be added.

mokeyjoe

If every planet has the same duration of a day I will totally notice.

Currently, and it seems it's been nerfed for gameplay reasons even though they wanted it in. I guess it could be changed again. Not entirely sure what those reasons were besides people getting confused over waypoints. I mean they could still vary the rotation speeds and have them all slow.

In a sense they must have varying rotations anyway to have small and large planets with the same day/night cycles.

I'm confused as to what is going on with that.

mokeyjoe

All I want for the PC version is 120FPS support.

The fact that we haven't seen the PC port yet is a little scary though.

There is not. Could show up later though.

Maybe, but that's largely because Sony have invested in the game rather than anything more sinister. I suppose.

KingV

Currently, and it seems it's been nerfed for gameplay reasons even though they wanted it in. I guess it could be changed again. Not entirely sure what those reasons were besides people getting confused over waypoints. I mean they could still vary the rotation speeds and have them all slow.

In a sense they must have varying rotations anyway to have small and large planets with the same day/night cycles.

I'm confused as to what is going on with that.

A larger and smaller planet would both be rotating st the same speed, just you would be moving more quickly on the surface of the larger planet.

But the rotational speed would be identical in the small and large planet.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Damn, that's a massive update. I remember The Witcher 3 1.20 patch was huge and changed a lot, I don't recall off hand many updates that change as much as this. If it improves the experience, go for it.

If every planet has the same duration of a day I will totally notice.

Why would it matter and how would you tell?

You won't be landing on the same exact spot on every planet you land on.

You might land on one 5 minutes before sunset. You might land on one 1 hour after sunrise.

What does it matter unless you will be sitting there just staring at and timing the sunrises and sunsets?

But why would anyone waste their time doing that in the first place?

I'm not judging anyone, by the way. Just wondering why something like that is a big deal.

You might land on one 5 minutes before sunset. You might land on one 1 hour after sunrise.

What does it matter unless you will be sitting there just staring at and timing the sunrises and sunsets?

But why would anyone waste their time doing that in the first place?

I'm not judging anyone, by the way. Just wondering why something like that is a big deal.

Immersion, it is a nice detail and it will definitely be noticeable. Why are you so opposed to his statement?
This is not the game to judge people on 'wasting their time'.

Gave that patch process post a read. Very insightful stuff.

The patches that are deemed "anti-consumer" and "lazy" are actually devs that care trying their best to work with difficult circumstances.

Mahonay

Banned
Gave that patch process post a read. Very insightful stuff.

The patches that are deemed "anti-consumer" and "lazy" are actually devs that care trying their best to work with difficult circumstances.
It's almost as if a team of 5 people needed every extra bit of pre-launch dev time that they could get.

iosefe

i swear if the Giant space Frieghter means you fly that and your regular ship becomes like a landing craft/scout shuttle, that would complete the fantasy

Mastperf

Didn't see anything about changing Celsius to Fahrenheit for the US version. Sean said it would be available earlier.

Damn that's a ton of changes and massive performance enhancements, the only question I am left wondering is... "IS IT TUESDAY YET?!"

I won't be sleeping Monday night lol

From what I heard and what I saw from the initial leak footage, the current day/night cycle is about 12 minutes. So you don't need to be anywhere for very long to notice it. If the day/night cycle was 20 hours, then yeah it wouldn't matter so much. But even still, planets in our real universe have vastly different day/night cycles, and I'd say it's an even more important feature for adding immersion in the worlds than how big the planet is.

mokeyjoe

A larger and smaller planet would both be rotating st the same speed, just you would be moving more quickly on the surface of the larger planet.

But the rotational speed would be identical in the small and large planet.

Lol. Of course, doh.

I was thinking of surface speed, because that's what affects the waypoints, and hence gameplay.

Top Bottom