• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

SaganIsGOAT

And I cancelled my le Amazon preorder last night after seeing how cumbersome inventory management looked, among other things I wasn't liking the look of, and they addressed it all. Lol that is what I get 😂. I'm kinda mad at myself but also kinda hyped they are able to make such drastic changes.

Seiniyta

And I cancelled my le Amazon preorder last night after seeing how cumbersome inventory management looked, among other things I wasn't liking the look of, and they addressed it all. Lol that is what I get 😂. I'm kinda mad at myself but also kinda hyped they are able to make such drastic changes.

You are the living example of why they didn't want you to see the unpatched game XD.

DieH@rd

Banned
What would be the point of Base building? I thought the game is designed around travelling to the centre, why would you want to return to a Base.

Probably for automated mining of resources. Those large space haulers need to be filled with something, I don't expect that players will have to manually grind for such quantities.

vpance

Good to see this one in there with people complaining about the pop in.

Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold

SaganIsGOAT

You are the living example of why they didn't want you to see the unpatched game XD.

Yup 😅. It's okay though, I'm now gonna wait for a few patches to go through because it sounds like they can do some amazing changes with updates.

Now just give me a Minecraft esque peaceful mode where I don't need to worry about dying on extreme planets and I can just explore in peace and I'll love this game forever.

King_Moc

Banned
Guess NMS isn't the only thing that needs an update here...lol

It's 60FPS on PS4

As someone who got it early, I can confirm it's 100% 30 fps. I'm not sure how other people thought it was 60, it's not like it feels different to other 30fps games.

noomi

I was already pretty excited for NMS but after reading these patch notes.... hot damn! To think there will be even more of these updates in the future!

As a new father gaming has taken a drastic backseat in my life. With NMS, it seems like the type of game I can play here and there when I get the chance and always feels like I'm progressing towards something.

I cant wait to start this adventure, and I'm sure NMS will be around for years (decades?) to come. Years from now people will look back at it as a major game changer and milestone in gaming, I'm sure of it.

NYHorn36

Gonna stop playing and delete my save. Had a good time with it over the weekend, but these changes will be interesting. No need to progress further when I plan to start over with all this new stuff. At least I have 54% of the achievements, but sucks that my awesome discoveries and names will be deleted!

Kind of glad I get to see both versions though.

Crackbone

I was already pretty excited for NMS but after reading these patch notes.... hot damn! To think there will be even more of these updates in the future!

As a new father gaming has taken a drastic backseat in my life. With NMS, it seems like the type of game I can play here and there when I get the chance and always feels like I'm progressing towards something.

I cant wait to start this adventure, and I'm sure NMS will be around for years (decades?) to come. Years from now people will look back at it as a major game changer and milestone in gaming, I'm sure of it.

Off topic but good luck with fatherhood and gaming. I still game quite a but it's definitely a stop and start experience.
My two little ones always need something.

noomi

Off topic but good luck with fatherhood and gaming. I still game quite a but it's definitely a stop and start experience.
My two little ones always need something.

Hah, thanks ;) I can imagine, my guy just turned 4 months old and we are finally just starting to get into a rhythm again, im lucky when i can play for 30minutes uninterrupted.

That being said I feel like NMS will be the type of game I can enjoy even if I can only play in short bursts. I love space, and I love exploring. This game was made for me.

Nokterian

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTT

untitledewuo3.png

This game will consume my life...

FelipeMGM

I read the patch notes. If people consider this stuff spoilers they are horribly broken individuals.

yeah, I dont think they are spoilers either, but since Sean himself said that, I thought it was better to tag the patch notes. You never know what people will get mad at you about, and spoiler culture is indeed a bit crazy these days

cluderi

Inventory changes...

Oh thank god, time to delete the save.

(If they give the ability to fly off with space pets then next is the ability to drop new species on planets for hilarious cross breeding experiments)

Nokterian

No. You can dig up to 128m below the surface of the planet.

Imaging you find a small cave that leads you into a WAY larger cave that's about the size of the viewable area surrounding you on the surface.

Exactly what happend in minecraft as a example..man i can't wait to make some beautiful screenshots.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hah, thanks ;) I can imagine, my guy just turned 4 months old and we are finally just starting to get into a rhythm again, im lucky when i can play for 30minutes uninterrupted.

That being said I feel like NMS will be the type of game I can enjoy even if I can only play in short bursts. I love space, and I love exploring. This game was made for me.

Invest in Vita Remote Play and good grip attachment. ;)

Has patch spoiler culture gone too far?

I didn't watch the spoiler thread until yesterday and i understood that it was a big exaggerated.

But i totally understand that some people want to blackout and make a full discovery of the game, and i think it's great that they can still speak about it and entertain the hype.

abundant

With the crazy amount of interest in this game and in space games in general, I can't imagine a scenario where it doesn't sell well. As an example, Star Citizen has just passed 118 million in crowd funding.

I know it's anecdotal, but whenever a game has multiple threads on the first page, it's going to sell well. For example, the last game to have multiple threads was Overwatch, which sold well.

With the crazy amount of interest in this game and in space games in general, I can't imagine a scenario where it doesn't sell well. As an example, Star Citizen has just passed 118 million in crowd funding.
Limited editions selling out. Being on the top stellers chart on Steam for weeks at a time. Topping charts at Amazon and Best Buy.

It's going to sell well

yeah, I dont think they are spoilers either, but since Sean himself said that, I thought it was better to tag the patch notes. You never know what people will get mad at you about, and spoiler culture is indeed a bit crazy these days

My comment wasn't a dig at you or anything btw lol. I figured people must have complained or there was some kinda huff surrounding it.

Impressive amount of updates. Some thoughts...

- Extreme hazards.. weren't blizzards and dust storms already in the game? Or is he saying that now these weather events require extra suit protection now?

- Planet rotation.. I don't think speed of rotation is the problem; this seems more like a UI issue in terms of tracking space stations. Either that, or space stations should be made geosynchronous (locked in rotation with the planet). I have kept away from all the streams and spoilers, but are people saying that every planet has a fixed 12 minute day/night cycle? That would be very disappointing, and I guess the only upside to reducing rotation rate. I had hoped there would be a wide variation of planet rotation rates as in our real universe.

- Planets... I'm honestly surprised to not see "added gas giants" in this update, since it seems to be the number one request. By "dead moons" I guess no moons prior to this update were lifeless? Also wondering how "low atmosphere" planets plays out in gameplay, considering we always have a suit on. Probably more of an aesthetic thing...lighting more stark, more stars visible at night.

- Trading... We've still heard very little about the economic system and whether it is dynamic, i.e. prices change based on player actions, but his use of the phrase "galactic economy" at least points to an economy where each star system isn't isolated from each other.

- Ground combat... Though I haven't watched the streams, from everything I saw on the official footage I really don't think the Sentinels needed to be made more dangerous. They already seem like an unstoppable robot death army designed to interrupt our fun. Also, I continue to believe that having nameless enemies doesn't provide the same kind of make-your-own-narrative raw material as things like true NPCs like AI bounty hunters.

- Space combat... Brake drifting? I guess he's using a driving metaphor here. Does this mean we can do 180-degree spins while maintaining forward momentum like the Vipers in BSG? I don't know if there's any Newtonian physics at play with the ships; it's always looked fairly Star Wars.

- Base building and owning freighters... I know there's a vocal minority that wants this game to be Starbound, but unless Sean is talking about temporary structures, building bases and holing up on a planet seems counter to the whole idea of this game. I'd much rather see us own bigger ships we can expand with modules, becoming in effect portable bases. I hope these giant freighters Sean refers to means that we'll have a docking bay where we can keep multiple ships.

- Definitely looking forward to space cantinas.
cantina.jpg

Have you played House of the Dying Sun or Starship Rubicon? In those games, you can cut your throttle, maintaing your momentum but being able to rotate tor fire behind you or in other directions. Wouldnt be surprised if that's what "brake drifting" means

- Planet rotation.. I don't think speed of rotation is the problem; this seems more like a UI issue in terms of tracking space stations. Either that, or space stations should be made geosynchronous (locked in rotation with the planet). I have kept away from all the streams and spoilers, but are people saying that every planet has a fixed 12 minute day/night cycle? That would be very disappointing, and I guess the only upside to reducing rotation rate. I had hoped there would be a wide variation of planet rotation rates as in our real universe.

Yeah the rotation thing is the only real bummer for me leading up to launch. Especially when Sean Murray talked about it, as in this quote:

“With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that. We have people that will fly down from a space station onto a planet and when they fly back up, the station isn't there anymore; the planet has rotated. People have filed that as a bug.”

Have you played House of the Dying Sun or Starship Rubicon? In those games, you can cut your throttle, maintaing your momentum but being able to rotate tor fire behind you or in other directions. Wouldnt be surprised if that's what "brake drifting" means

Hm no I haven't played either of those, though that sounds similar to the Viper ships in Battlestar Galactica. Brake drifting in driving means applying brakes in order to throw out the back tires and move sidways while still maintaining some forward momentum. I assumed that's what Sean meant, that we could apply "air brakes" and swing the ship around quickly. Though I would love it if we can actually do this like you're saying without a loss of momentum.

Grief.exe

Like....like in a mountain?

Just means the caverns can spawn to be extremely large.

Interesting.

Maybe a HOTAS set up will be possible.

legacyzero

Banned

Shoulda waited bruh. You knew the update was comin!

Top Bottom