• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

mokeyjoe

Immersion, it is a nice detail and it will definitely be noticeable. Why are you so opposed to his statement?
This is not the game to judge people on 'wasting their time'.

Yeah, I don't like to nitpick, but it's something i'd like to see too. It's more than immersion, the night/day cycle affects gameplay too, with temperature changes and animal behaviour being affected.

For instance being on a rapidly rotating planet that gets dangerously hot during the day, giving you limited time to gather resources. Or planets with dangerous night fauna and long nights, like Pitch Black :)

It's another interesting variable to add to gameplay.

Why would it matter and how would you tell?

You won't be landing on the same exact spot on every planet you land on.

You might land on one 5 minutes before sunset. You might land on one 1 hour after sunrise.

What does it matter unless you will be sitting there just staring at and timing the sunrises and sunsets?

But why would anyone waste their time doing that in the first place?

I'm not judging anyone, by the way. Just wondering why something like that is a big deal.

Apparently the sun rises and sets at the exact same in game time on every planet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm really confused. Maybe I've had too much beer, it just seemed like he was suggesting it was only coming to ps4.

Nah, he was just commenting on that person saying it can possibly come to Xbox later. It is PS4 console exclusive.

Now I want beer, lol. So picking some up for NMS this Tuesday.

Nah, he was just commenting on that person saying it can possibly come to Xbox later. It is PS4 console exclusive.

Now I want beer, lol. So picking some up for NMS this Tuesday.

I'm planning to have the fridge full for NMS PC launch. I might cave and double dip in the meantime but this is definitely something I just want to kick back and chill out with. Can definitely chalk this up to too much beer.

All the current NMS marketing has "Only on PlayStation", which is their branding for "PS4 exclusive". PC is separate from that.

Ah yeah, suppose it's likely a different publisher too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm planning to have the fridge full for NMS PC launch. I might cave and double dip in the meantime but this is definitely something I just want to kick back and chill out with. Can definitely chalk this up to too much beer.

Ah yeah, suppose it's likely a different publisher too.

Same.

Hello Games is self publishing on the PC.

androvsky

Apparently the sun rises and sets at the exact same in game time on every planet.

Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread, but that doesn't make much sense. You can go anywhere on any planet, sunrise and sunset are completely relative even if every planet has the exact same rotational speed.

I'm curious as to how people are so certain how fast the planets are rotating.

A lot of the streams we've been watching aren't giving this game a fair shot, it looks really good. I was just going through some of those screens bigtiggles took and they look great. He has his PS4 set to capture JPG not PNG so they should look even better in person. Hope the GAF photo-album thread turns into something special.

CpITozBWgAEd4gR.jpg:large

CpHLgzQW8AAGWec.jpg:large

CpON-KTXgAAfyn9.jpg:large

CpNKmrhUIAAvDIY.jpg:large

CpD-VksVIAQ7RzE.jpg:large

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
But did Sean Murray say it?

See above reply...

“The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. If there is a day to night cycle, it happens because they are slowly transitioning between a series of different boxes.” The skybox is also a barrier beyond which the player can never pass. The stars are merely points of light. In No Man’s Sky however, every star is a place that you can go. The universe is infinite. The edges extend out into a lifeless abyss that you can plunge into forever. “With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that. We have people that will fly down from a space station onto a planet and when they fly back up, the station isn't there anymore; the planet has rotated. People have filed that as a bug.”

That's from an interview in The Atlantic. Clearly the original plan was that however a planet spins in space, that is how rapidly its days and nights pass. For whatever reason, that is not happening in the pre-patch game. Perhaps it will happen as Murray stated it would after the patch or after a second update. But currently, the day/night cycle of the planets is a fixed thing that is seemingly unrelated to the planet's rotation in the simulated universe.

Odrion

Banned
I kinda want to do a playthrough where I just stick to one planet and keep walking in one direction and see how far I can go and how much "unique" content I can come across.

And then in the long term attempt to do the "walk a full circle around the planet" play through. Even if it takes several years.

I bet it would get preeeeeeeeeetty dull. But it might be a fun thing to do a log on.

That's from an interview in The Atlantic. Clearly the original plan was that however a planet spins in space, that is how rapidly its days and nights pass. For whatever reason, that is not happening in the pre-patch game. Perhaps it will happen as Murray stated it would after the patch or after a second update. But currently, the day/night cycle of the planets is a fixed thing that is seemingly unrelated to the planet's rotation in the simulated universe.

Let's hope it all occurs like Murray says it will.

The backlash will be savage if not.

It's a fact, not an opinion.

What is fact/opinion?

That a pre-release build of No Man's Sky had timings of day/night cycles that weren't up to the specs of the retail build?

Might just have been too confusing and scrapped for simplicity reasons.
Let's hope it all occurs like Murray says it will.

The backlash will be savage if not.

What is fact/opinion?

That a pre-release build of No Man's Sky had timings of day/night cycles that weren't up to the specs of the retail build?
If this leads to a 'savage backlash', that's on those complaining. Judge what's there, not what's missing. Especially if you don't know the reasons.

This game is pretty and all, but I can't see myself playing it for more than 2 hrs. I saw the stream earlier and close it after they visited the 3rd planet with the same old stuff.

What is fact/opinion?

Saying that it's going to change is not a fact, it's speculation.
Saying that sunrise occurs at 6:11 and sunset at 19:07 on every planet is stating a fact.

I really don't see the problem here.

SomTervo

image.php

Source? That's big news, since it's so small.

The entire game is like 4.2GB on PS4 at the moment. Most of it is audio apparently.

Hand-crafted levels and assets are a big space-sucker for most games, so when your game is procedural it can be tiny. A lot of mathematical commands rather than rote content.

Dat leak-based gameplay feedback.

Not really 'leak' - some retailers just have the game already and are shipping it. Always happens.

I've had MGSV, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3, Batman AK, etc, all super early because of my local independent store and SimplyGames.com.

NMS is no different.

BTW the game is great even pre-patch

Thank fuck they listened, screw that low cap "your inventory is full" bullshit.

Yeah, I can see why they did that but honestly it just makes the player throw away half of what they carry.

Absolutely brilliant giving your ship more storage space too, like 5x more per stack.

So my starting ship had like 8 nodes on it, and I found a new ship with 10 nodes or something, fixed it up and flew off.

Physically, my second ship is about three times larger than my original. It's like a small freighter. But it only gets two more node slots. Lol.

It's really the 1.00 patch really.

No it's not. You can play the full game (and even review it, haha) with out any major bugs or problems, and have a great time, with the release disc, which is literally version 1.00.

Source: I have done this.

Are there things like binary systems, black holes, etc. in this game?

Black holes yes (I'm trying to reach one right now) but binary systems, I'm not sure. Hope so.

This game is pretty and all, but I can't see myself playing it for more than 2 hrs. I saw the stream earlier and close it after they visited the 3rd planet with the same old stuff.

The game constantly loads you with objectives and things to do. It's not directionless. 2 hours in you probably haven't even built your first hyperdrive to leave the system. There is a fairly robust quest structure underneath (aliens can give you things to do/show you places to go) and what's more there are thousands of pages of in-game lore about the universe and races that you have to discover.

There is actual story content all the way through. It's not just a procedurally generated landscape with nothing else in it.

DavidDesu

God this update sounds like a huge amount of work is going into this game. I'm glad I NEED to buy Assetto Corsa this payday, I can wait for the temporal anti-aliasing patch, I'm figuring that will make a pretty decent improvement to the graphics, and nice to hear shadows and pop in are being improved, the only real downside to the games visuals we've seen so far. God I hope this gets PSVR support...

AngryMoth

Didn't wanna post this in the OT in case it's a spoiler, but the OT says the goal of the game is to reach the centre of the galaxy (not the universe). But then the patch notes say there are multiple galaxies:
So the goal is to get to the centre of the galaxy and not the universe? The patch notes made it sounds like there are multiple galaxies
So which is it?

Jac_Solar

You sir have just started a discussion that's going to last for weeks, maybe months.

What I 'hope' it means is you can pilot them, and they have a docking station you can fly into and out of and land in with a smaller ship. That's what would be a dream for me

If they meant that you can pilot them, writing "own space-freighters" sounds sort of weird, though. Since they wrote it next to "base building", it sounds like it'll be some sort of trade route thing. Like, you can set up trade routes and buy ships for the trade routes.

But, if that's all they meant, they really should have emphasized the fact that you can't pilot them -- I think a lot of people would be rather disappointed if they thought that they'd be able to pilot large ships, only to find out that you can "only" set up trade routes (Or something like that.).

If they meant that you can pilot them, writing "own space-freighters" sounds sort of weird, though. Since they wrote it next to "base building", it sounds like it'll be some sort of trade route thing.

But, if that's all they meant, they really should have emphasized the fact that you can't pilot them -- I think a lot of people would be rather disappointed if they thought that they'd be able to pilot large ships, only to find out that you can "only" set up trade routes (Or something like that.).

I'm holding on to the belief that they wouldn't go through the trouble of allowing us to own a freighter then be like 'but you can't fly it.' That wouldn't make sense in the grand scheme of this huge open universe.

SomTervo

Yep! Was going to have one last play around on my existing save but suddenly it popped up!

I've been under the weather for the last week, and still don't feel 100%. Tempted to hit the road home and load this patch up...

Remember to delete your old save mate

JP

Didn't wanna post this in the OT in case it's a spoiler, but the OT says the goal of the game is to reach the centre of the galaxy (not the universe). But then the patch notes say there are multiple galaxies:

So which is it?
People seem to be mistakenly using galaxy and universe interchangeably, which is incorrect as each is vary specific thing. There are multiple galaxies in the universe and the goal, if you need that, is the centre of the universe.

I'm not sure if Hello Games have given specifics in relation to galaxies but from other metrics they've given about the game there is probably going to be millions of galaxies which could in turn each contain millions of star systems. Those millions could of course be billions instead.

This is from the update details of the patch this thread is about.
v1.03 said:
The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.

EDIT:
An interview with Sean Murray about this specific enquiry - No Man's Sky ★ Galaxy or Universe / Cobra TV

EDIT 2:
For reference, there are estimated to be 100,000,000,000 (100 billion) galaxies in our universe and to give that some scale, our galaxy, The Milky Way contains around 100,000,000,000 (100 billion) planets. We know there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (18 quintillion) planets in the game and using the real world metrics as to the number of galaxies that really exist would mean that there was 185,000,000,000 (180 billion) galaxies in game.

Of course, that does't necessarily relate to No Man's Sky in any way and the best way to think about this stuff is, there isn't really any need to be thinking about it. :)

SomTervo

What? I thought Sean said all the planet rotations will be different as they are driven by actual physics. This is really disappointing. Uggh.

The planets rotate and their positions alter.

But for whatever reason they decoupled this from the perceived sunrise/sunset on each planet. Perhaps the 'rotation simulation' way made for days/nights that were way too long, or not enough variety, or something.

So while you're standing on a planet you can look up and see the system's space station rotate away out of sight - but that might not match up at all with the movement of the sun, which is static until it changes at 6am and 7pm.

Looks like a witcher situation where I should wait for the patches and a sale.

Not at all.

1. The patch is out already. You don't have to wait for anything.

2. It's not really a 'patch'. The game is 100% functional without it - this update adds a lot of systems/content/improvements.

3. The game on the disc is great by itself, even without the patch.

4. The developers want to keep improving the game for the forseeable future. They've confirmed that the next patch will add base building and vehicles.

They want to use Minecraft's update schedule - substantial, high quality content updates and QoL improvements a few times a year.

So which is it?

HG have muddied this issue a bit by often using the two terms interchangeably.

We know this much: the "goal" of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy you start in, and everyone starts in the same galaxy. Also, there are multiple galaxies.

Beyond that, we don't know if there is in fact a "center" of the universe (and not just a galaxy) and what it takes to get there.

What? I thought Sean said all the planet rotations will be different as they are driven by actual physics. This is really disappointing. Uggh.

NMS has nothing to do with "actual physics" it is a fantasy universe and has absolutely nothing in common with the physics of our real world. Even the planets trajectories are absolutely impossible.

N° 2048

NMS has nothing to do with "actual physics" it is a fantasy universe and has absolutely nothing in common with the physics of our real world. Even the planets trajectories are absolutely impossible.

Yep, green atmospheres are not possible in real life. Neither are moons being that close in the sky.

NMS is it's own rules. Which I love.

Flipyap

Not at all.

1. The patch is out already. You don't have to wait for anything.

2. It's not really a 'patch'. The game is 100% functional without it - this update adds a lot of systems/content/improvements.

3. The game on the disc is great by itself, even without the patch.

4. The developers want to keep improving the game for the forseeable future. They've confirmed that the next patch will add base building and vehicles.

They want to use Minecraft's update schedule - substantial, high quality content updates and QoL improvements a few times a year.
"Patch" isn't a dirty word. This "update" includes a "patch" that fixes many issues (crashes, floating buildings, exploits and more) and that's only a good thing, and no-one should play the game without it because doing so would prevent you from truly updating the game in the future, so saying that it's 100% functional without it is misleading.
The Witcher 3 was also great and functional without patches, but it became better with them, because that's what patches do. If they want their first experience with No Man's Sky to be of a game in a more polished, feature rich state, then they're absolutely going to get that if they wait. Which is also a good thing, especially if they don't intend to stick with the game beyond a single trip to the center.

Raven77

Can someone explain his biome comment?

One of the things that has bothered me since day one with this game is the fact that planets don't really seem that neat to explore if they only have one biome. Meaning, a desert planet will be all desert, it won't have a snowy region, forested region, etc.

Is Seans comment in the patch notes on biomes confirming that they have been added???

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A lot of the streams we've been watching aren't giving this game a fair shot, it looks really good. I was just going through some of those screens bigtiggles took and they look great. He has his PS4 set to capture JPG not PNG so they should look even better in person. Hope the GAF photo-album thread turns into something special.

CpITozBWgAEd4gR.jpg:large

CpHLgzQW8AAGWec.jpg:large

CpON-KTXgAAfyn9.jpg:large

CpNKmrhUIAAvDIY.jpg:large

CpD-VksVIAQ7RzE.jpg:large

Those are great.

I'll be posting the photo thread around 7-8pm tonight. I want to get it as close to release as possible, and give the OT some breathing room. I don't know who on GAF has the game and wants to share screens sooner, but it's probably best to do it closer to 9PM.

Top Bottom