• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Can we get big space ships like the big ass ones in star wars? Lol the triangle shaped ones :) then you could take your smaller ship out for a ride to the planet?

Thats how i imagined this game haha ise the big ships for traveling and the smaller ones to explore. You could have a crew that works for you like in aliens do weapon research lol and have labs in your ship, encountering a planet with xenomorphs or facehugers bring them back on board lol ok im getting caried away hahaha

vpance

Yeah the rotation thing is the only real bummer for me leading up to launch. Especially when Sean Murray talked about it, as in this quote:

Kinda dumb how they had to downgrade the rotation for people who couldn't figure out was happening. Maybe they should add more markers onscreen?

mokeyjoe

Kinda dumb how they had to downgrade the rotation for people who couldn't figure out was happening. Maybe they should add more markers onscreen?

I presume, due to the streams I've seen, people were getting confused that the markers were moving away from them as they were flying.

deadduck

Been playing this for a good 10 hours and the patch notes are amazing for day1.

Now wanna go digital so the GF cam play on the other PS4.

These patch notes are REALLY making me want to grab this for PS4 instead of PC.
The very first note about unique paths with choices that impact what you experience drove me to pre-order it on PS4 as soon as I finished reading the notes.

I figure I can do my first playthrough on PS4, with no distractions or tinkering around with settings to try to "fix things" to make the game look or play better, and then if I see that there are some significant bonuses to having the PC version, I will double dip and take a "different path" in the PC version with all the bells and whistles.

Pimpbaa

I presume, due to the streams I've seen, people were getting confused that the markers were moving away from them as they were flying.

Sounds like rotation might have been too fast. I mean it's never in issue in Elite Dangerous and that game is modeled off our own galaxy with realistic orbits and rotations of planets. NMS ships appear to have much faster acceleration as well, so the planets must have been spinning way way too fast.

mokeyjoe

Sounds like rotation might have been too fast. I mean it's never in issue in Elite Dangerous and that game is modeled off our own galaxy with realistic orbits and rotations of planets. NMS ships appear to have much faster acceleration as well, so the planets must have been spinning way way too fast.

I couldn't tell if it was that or just the waypoints were a bit glitchy.

I'm still unclear on the balance of night/day cycles. It would be cool to land on a quickly spinning planet though.

Linconan

Depending on what the mean by owning giant freighters in the next update.
If it just a temp locations to store etc while in the solar system, then, meh...

But,
if it's actually owning a larger vehicle and a sub vehicle (current ship), than that changes everything.
Collecting/harvesting resources on a planet and moving on to the next, then making monthly stop to other traders etc and become filthy rich. Would be so awesome.

I'd have the sensation of ALIEN with the giant Nostromo pulling up to a planet to mine everytime,lol, and with the drop ship leaving the bay to go to the surface.
HAHAHAH

Dinjoralo

So, uh... What's the change to rotation, specifically?

Also, seeing this patch has pushed me over the fence! Can't wait to play on the 12th!

I'm shaking my head here.

Right? They were so good about not talking about features before they were sure they'd be in the game, NPCs for example. To me, having realistic rotation and a day/night cycle based on that rotation is a huge feature and would really add to the immersion. I hope the reason it was axed is explained at some point.

Holy shit this is a huge patch. It basically fixes all the complaints the early players had and then some. What are the negatives that this game still holds after this patch?

Tovarisc

It's never bad to have extra options.

Especially when one of the most prevalent questions that comes up about this game is "what do you do?".

Assuming it is made as extra option / not mandatory thing, but if things do sideways and they go AAA design then base building will take center of stage and be mandatory stuff to deal with.

androvsky

Right? They were so good about not talking about features before they were sure they'd be in the game, NPCs for example. To me, having realistic rotation and a day/night cycle based on that rotation is a huge feature and would really add to the immersion. I hope the reason it was axed is explained at some point.

It hasn't been removed, it's been reduced. Sounds like the planets were spinning too fast, now they're rotating slower.

It's never bad to have extra options.

Well, the devs have limited amounts of dev time, so I think there will be many decisions like this that split the fanbase because everyone has their own ideas of what should be in NMS and wants Hello to prioritize their version of the perfect game. Personally, I think building permanent bases goes against the spirit of the game, but I guess Sean thinks otherwise, or wants to appease the fans asking for it.

To me, having realistic rotation and a day/night cycle based on that rotation is a huge feature and would really add to the immersion. I hope the reason it was axed is explained at some point.

I don't think Hello is taking out "realistic" rotation or a day/night cycle based on that; they're just slowing down rotation, which will have the side effect of slowing down the day/night cycle. But I was wanting Earth-like day/night cycles and it sounds like every planet has the same cycle, which I find weird (and a big disappointment) since they've gone to so much trouble making things realistic otherwise.

Really hope they pulled this off, this could be one of the best space sims ever made. Dying to get stuck into this, even the patch notes make the game sound awesome lol.

mokeyjoe

Holy shit this is a huge patch. It basically fixes all the complaints the early players had and then some. What are the negatives that this game still holds after this patch?

Well it remains to be seen what it's like to play after the patch. Could still be a bit easy, or aimless for some.

Some people want cities and things too, but then there's always some nsort of wish list.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Time to truly go dark now, I think.

I think so. I was ok with the early leaked stuff, because there wasn't really anything major to spoil, but now there's a whole host of features and mechanics that I think I'm going to enjoy letting the intended version of the game wash over me on Tuesday. The temptation to buy the digital version so I can play it tomorrow at 9 is great, but I'm a patient guy. I think I'm going to bow out of No Man's Sky threads tomorrow (with the exception of the photo sharing thread I'm creating so people can share their discoveries)

Yet in the patch notes it says that they will look at balancing issues and other graphical updates are on the way.

Still not sure yet if I will actually wait :p

The game as it will be with patch on Tuesday is the way it was meant to be played. Get in there. They've said all along that if the game is successful that they'll keep updating it, and Sean said no reason those updates won't be free.

Get it!

Yeah the rotation thing is the only real bummer for me leading up to launch. Especially when Sean Murray talked about it, as in this quote:

Why are you bummed? The planets still rotate - they just reduced the speed at which they rotate. This is more realistic and will make the days and nights last longer.

I wonder will we be able to build those upcoming bases inside massive caves.

I like the way you think!

You know what's great?

These patch details look like a NMS COMMUNITY WISHLIST.

How many patches/updates have you seen for games since - ever, have had a list of almost everything the community has been hoping for in it, with additional stuff for a future update we didn't even think they'd consider but are adding anyway?!?!?!?!!

They are literally giving us everything we asked for or were concerned about that should be included or fixed.

You know what's great?

These patch details look like a NMS COMMUNITY WISHLIST.

How many patches/updates how you seen for games since - ever, have had a list of almost everything the community has been hoping for in it, with additional stuff for a future update for stuff we didn't even think they'd consider but are adding anyway?!?!?!?!!

They are literally giving us everything we asked for or were concerned about that should be included or fixed.

Well said.

I think so. I was ok with the early leaked stuff, because there wasn't really anything major to spoil, but now there's a whole host of features and mechanics that I think I'm going to enjoy letting the intended version of the game wash over me on Tuesday. The temptation to buy the digital version so I can play it tomorrow at 9 is great, but I'm a patient guy. I think I'm going to bow out of No Man's Sky threads tomorrow (with the exception of the photo sharing thread I'm creating so people can share their discoveries)

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. There's still tons of stuff from the streams I consider big spoilers and don't want to know about, but now everyone is back on the same page. I don't expect the patch to drop until late Monday or Tuesday, so I don't think anything could be spoiled tomorrow that isn't already known.

Wondering what base building will add to the game. I'm all for base building. Love that aspect in games, but I'm anxious to see what the benefit is in this game. You are supposed to explore and keep moving in this game. Not build a house and stay on one planet.

Possible fast travel to planets you have visited? So you could build a house on a planet, make some chests to keep things in and fast travel to it? Doesn't matter, excited.

I'm hoping the bases serve as resource production. Find a space station looking for a certain resource and build a base on a nearby planet to provide trade lines which then makes cash.

Also hope you can build some sort of defense system so you can fend off invaders looking to steal your shit.

Top Bottom