• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No matter where you’re born, ‘life will be harder if you are born a girl’

ROMhack

I'm going to go out on a limb and defend women here... they do it have it tough given that they have to deal with constant enforcement of ideological messages aimed at making them see the world in certain way rather than being trusted to think for themselves. Must be a bit of a nightmare for them.

I'm kinda happy that I as a dude get by thinking (knowing?) that people are mostly self-serving assholes.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The courts are also heavily biased in favour of women, someone I know was going through a divorce and had the option to either continue paying the mortgage on a house he no longer lived in or simply give the house over to his ex-wife. He went with the latter option as he didn’t want to keep paying for a house that she could later sell and take most of the cash he put into it.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Definitely true historically and in a lot of countries still. But Western 21st century countries? Nope

Women like clinging to that image of oppression though

Saruhashi

Banned
Surely the situation in less developed countries is pretty rough for dudes also?

Even historically, it couldn't be easy to be a dude and probably life for ladies who were close to rich/powerful dudes would not be so harsh?

It always feels like trying to create some kind of gender based "conflict" when the reality is that most people just have difficult lives regardless.

There comes a point where arguing over who has it worse is kind of irrelevant.

If I am going to die in a horrific mining accident and she is going to die during childbirth then... why are we fighting over who has it worse?

Papa

Banned
Definitely true historically and in a lot of countries still. But Western 21st century countries? Nope

Women like clinging to that image of oppression though

Why do you think that women were historically oppressed? Note that it needs to be proven relative to men, otherwise it’s not oppression.

Stimpak

What about women that live under sharia law in Islamic countries? Prejudicial courts, female genitalia mutilation, abuse, etc. Feminists don’t say a god damn word about those nightmarish situations.

Oh, thats right I’m an islam-phone for holding other cultures accountable. Never mind.

Edit:

BByIllr.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
for the longest time women didn't have rights. in fact a married woman was considered not even an individual person, but property of her husband:

Under traditional English common law, an adult unmarried woman was considered to have the legal status of feme sole, while a married woman had the status of feme covert. These terms are English spellings of medieval Anglo-Norman phrases (the modern standard French spellings would be femme seule "single woman" and femme couverte, literally "covered woman").

The principle of coverture was described in William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England in the late 18th century:

By marriage, the husband and wife are one person in law: that is, the very being or legal existence of the woman is suspended during the marriage, or at least is incorporated and consolidated into that of the husband: under whose wing, protection, and cover, she performs every thing; and is therefore called in our law-French a feme-covert; is said to be covert-baron, or under the protection and influence of her husband, her baron, or lord; and her condition during her marriage is called her coverture. Upon this principle, of a union of person in husband and wife, depend almost all the legal rights, duties, and disabilities, that either of them acquire by the marriage. I speak not at present of the rights of property, but of such as are merely personal. For this reason, a man cannot grant any thing to his wife, or enter into covenant with her: for the grant would be to suppose her separate existence; and to covenant with her, would be only to covenant with himself: and therefore it is also generally true, that all compacts made between husband and wife, when single, are voided by the intermarriage.
A feme sole had the right to own property and make contracts in her own name, while a feme covert was not recognized as having legal rights and obligations distinct from those of her husband in most respects. Instead, through marriage a woman's existence was incorporated into that of her husband, so that she had very few recognized individual rights of her own.

danielberg

Neophyte
if she would have at least added "outside of the western world" it would have been a bit more accurate but that would have taken balls (lol)

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The biggest issue I’ve seen personally for women is many of them were raised to be less aggressive than men when it comes to asking for raises, promotions or anything else they want. I see it a lot in the work place when we are hiring, it’s far more common for the male new hires to haggle for a higher salary/more vacation time than the women. This instantly creates an uneven salary picture right from the beginning. It has nothing to do with gender from our hiring side; it’s completely about the individual not being aggressive with negotiations, it just so happens right now our female hires are the ones more likely to not be doing that. I hope that behavioral training changes for girls being raises now.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
No lies detected in my opinion. Women overall definitely have it harder than men as far as I can see. The average woman has to deal with so many more issues than the average man does.

You have provided so many facts and great examples that i don't know where to begin with. You probably work for the CIA as an official lie detector and fact checker.

I know a ton of women, including my girlfriend, who get sick of this modern "women have it harder" bullshit. When we watch the news, which we rarely do, and something about woman rights in modern societies comes up she instantly moans and wants me turn the television off. That's how opressed and unprivileged she feels. In modern / western societies, if you just stop acting like a victim, no matter if you're male or female, you have nothing but opportunities right in front of you.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Men are less valuable from a reproductive standpoint and are therefore the ones that society deems it acceptable to expose to risk.

Female holstein cows. Make the dairy farmer money.

Male bull calves sold at a week of age, get $30.

I'm going to go out on a limb and defend women here... they do it have it tough given that they have to deal with constant enforcement of ideological messages aimed at making them see the world in certain way rather than being trusted to think for themselves. Must be a bit of a nightmare for them.
I going to pop a bubble. Everyone, every day, has to contend to ideological messages aimed at making them see the world in a cetain way rather than being trusted to think for themselves.. Men, women, old or young, it does not matter.

ROMhack

I going to pop a bubble. Everyone, every day, has to contend to ideological messages aimed at making them see the world in a cetain way rather than being trusted to think for themselves.. Men, women, old or young, it does not matter.

Yeah, fair.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You have provided so many facts and great examples that i don't know where to begin with. You probably work for the CIA as an official lie detector and fact checker.

I know a ton of women, including my girlfriend, who get sick of this modern "women have it harder" bullshit. When we watch the news, which we rarely do, and something about woman rights in modern societies comes up she instantly moans and wants me turn the television off. That's how opressed and unprivileged she feels. In modern / western societies, if you just stop acting like a victim, no matter if you're male or female, you have nothing but opportunities right in front of you.

Your personal anecdotes don't really outweigh the fact that women overall deal with things like a higher rate of sexual assault, sexism, discrimination, and income inequality. And thats just off the top of my head.

If you and your significant other personally believe that women don't have it hard then you are entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I do agree that one's world becomes a lot easier when you stop feeling like a victim and start plotting some solutions.

I have a theory that the current generational mental health crisis is due in part to a lack of it, but it's just a feeling. Absolutely nothing to back it up.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Your personal anecdotes don't really outweigh the fact that women overall deal with things like a higher rate of sexual assault, sexism, discrimination, and income inequality. And thats just off the top of my head.

If you and your significant other personally believe that women don't have it hard then you are entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

They also get better grades in school, attend college at higher rates, die less on the job, and get clear preference in family courts. Oh, and they can kill a man's child without any of his input.

The sexual assault and income inequality statistics are also complete bullshit, and have been debunked time and time again with studies that actually use proper methodology: use a reasonable definition of sexual assault that doesn't include women feeling uncomfortable by a stare and that account for women's own agency in determining their career path.

betrayal

Banned

Men deal with things like higher rate of suicide, get murdered more often, are expected to do hard physical work, have more mental health issues and get blamed for virtually everything in today's society. And that's just off the top of my head.

There are men and women who have it hard and there are men and women who have it easy. In modern / western society this is not based on gender, but on attitude. Me and my significant other decided to go with the latter and right to this day we never met a person who takes responsibility for their own life while at the same time having an awful life.

Nothing good can come out by constantly playing the victim, because you instantly take away any possibility for change within your own power. If people start to accept and see, that everything around them is the summation of their decisions, than we wouldn't have this stupid discussions.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Men deal with things like higher rate of suicide, get murdered more often, are expected to do hard physical work, have more mental health issues and get blamed for virtually everything in today's society. And that's just off the top of my head.

There are men and women who have it hard and there are men and women who have it easy. In modern / western society this is not based on gender, but on attitude. Me and my significant other decided to go with the latter and right to this day we never met a person who takes responsibility for their own life while at the same time having an awful life.

Nothing good can come out by constantly playing the victim, because you instantly take away any possibility for change within your own power. If people start to accept and see, that everything around them is the summation of their decisions, than we wouldn't have this stupid discussions.
We seem to be pretty far apart. Agree to disagree then.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

it's not a matter of opinion, you are just wrong

you are basically saying i tolerate your opinion but oppose it

you flopped like a goddamn fish
No I just don't wanna waste time trying to convince someone of something they don't want to believe. And of course I tolerate other peoples opinions even if I think they are wrong.

What other option do I have? Are people not entitled to their own opinions?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
No I just don't wanna waste time trying to convince someone of something they don't want to believe. And of course I tolerate other peoples opinions even if I think they are wrong.

What other option do I have?

lay down your hand, explain why you believe what you do, we should be able to reach a consensus even if we have different information (we don't)

trying to play the middle and land on amicable terms while continuing to disagree about unresolved issues is a losers game

Nobody_Important

Justify your position.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of my position. I was just giving my view on the subject. Which is why I said "in my opinion" in my original post and didn't act as if my opinion was fact. However all the information regarding all of the topics I mentioned are readily available with a simple google search for anyone who is interested in them.

For example here is information regarding sexual assault https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

Here is information regarding the gender pay gap https://www.aauw.org/research/the-simple-truth-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

(Though I am sure they will not be acceptable sources for some. Its the information I have on hand at the moment.)

I am just really hesitant to spend alot of time defending myself or my opinion anymore because the last time I did that it was in a thread where I was agreeing with you and yet you told me to "go away" and then when I didn't you banned me for 2 weeks because of it. So i have resolved to just share my opinion when a subject peaks my interest and defend it to a reasonable degree rather than spend alot of my time and take up alot of thread space. I wouldn't want to mistakenly cross any lines or derail a thread again like I did before and end up banned again. I have to be on my best behavior.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
you said women have to deal with many more issues, then you laid out some very basic research and stats on sexual assault and the pay gap from organizations that seek to advance equity for women

GymWolf

Not if you are an attractive woman, that's basically like winning the lottery...

Just stream some bullshit while being half naked and sell your bath water and became a milionare fast...

Also you can literally fuck 90% of mens just by entering in a bar and pointing out someone...
Good luck doing that while being a male (even an attractive one)

Last edited:
Not if you are an attractive woman, that's basically like winning the lottery...

Just stream some bullshit while being half naked and sell your bath water and became a milionare fast...

Also you can literally fuck 90% of mens just by entering in a bar and pointing out someone...
Good luck doing that while being a male (even an attractive one)

Not if you're over 6ft though.

There are pros and cons to being male and female. Thems the breaks.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Sure, imagine you are born into a country with FGM, sold into slavery to be someones 3rd wife, pregnant by 9 since thats when some guy a few hundred years ago consumated his marriage. And odds are maybe raped or killed because of conflicts, or maybe accused of drinking water from a cup another relegion uses so acid is thrown on your face.

But I doubt thats what they meant. The real problem is not enough WHYTE's are buying bathwater and watching titty streamers. Also womens soccer players don't get paid the same as NFL Quarter backs and hot skinny chicks get jobs as models or ring girls which isn't fair to fatty pink hair weirdo's.

AfricanKing

It's always great, when a "neutral" study starts with "The #MeToo movement has highlighted how frequently women experience sexual violence." and the main author of the study is a known feminist.

This whole "study" is non-sense and not applicable to the real world. I know, that you don't understand that, because you don't know much about science and how to create an academic study.

How were the 13.310 US women, who participated in this survey (which they call a study), selected?
What was the wording of the questions?
The study never uses the word rape once, instead it used words like "forced" and "coerced". How do people interprete this?

I mean, come on. I would totally fight for women and against rape IF these numbers were remotely true, but this is pure hyperbole and just an extended emotional rant, disguised as a "study". If you don't believe me, then just go outside, talk to 100+ women and just ask them, if their first sexual experience was them getting raped.

It's sad that it took me less than 2 mins to see that the data they used was pulled from the yearly CDC report on on National Survey of family Growth. Feel free to look at the methods they used to collect the data.

I'll even do you a favour and link the actual survey that these women answered..

But since I'm such a nice guy I'll tell you where exactly in this survey you can find the questions . Page 164

You even had the gall to link to wikipedia which uses the CDC as a data point for rape stats.

nkarafo

Men:

- They have to do mandatory military training (in my country at least).
- They are expected to be the "provider" of the family.
- They have to work harder to find mates.
- They don't enjoy the pandering and facilitation from society (in the west).

Top Bottom