• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more backlog. No ps5. The One game to play ?

Finished my backlog a few days ago.
When i say finished, i mean either abandonned because it did not click or completed.

As i don't have yet a ps5, i literally have 0 games to play.
Recently, to give you the kind of games i play, i finished recently < 2 months):
- titanfall 2 (my first ever fps). I tried it because in one of the recent Edge copy, it was mentionned as one of the generation highlights. I enjoyed it a lot (campaign) and perfect length for me. 8/10.
- spiderman (2018). Had to tackle this one in several shots as initially found it boring. Until i realized i could do only main mission and it was much better. Enjoyed it globally. 7/10.
- what remains of edith finch. Again based on Edge recommandation. Had a good time. 7/10.
- Little hope : enjoyed it a lot. 8/10
- Erica : enjoyed it. 7/10.
-Resident evil 2 remake. Didn't expect to enjoy this one. 9/10.
- middlearth : shadow of war. Enjoyed it, until it was pure grinding. Scoring the part i enjoyed : 7/10.
- dead cells : wow. Stellar. 9/10

I had to drop following games :
- bloodborne. Yeah i know... Too painful/ fufrustrating losing to a boss and having to replay 10 minutes to go back to it.
- persona 5 : too long for me. Enjoyed my time with it though.
- MGS V : too long, too open world for me. Did not click (big mgs fan here).

And for the record here are the games i played that i would score 10/10 or 9/10 on this generation : SFV, DMC5, Detroit, the last guardian, inside, darkest dungeon, TLOU remastered, Until dawn.

So i need 1 game to play.
I'm holding on GOT, TLOU2, Days Gone to play them on ps5.

I heard 13 sentinel, street of rage or FFVII remake, death stranding are good. Any other suggestions ?

Or may be i should just wait for ps5, but it may be a while, as i want to synchronise a new tv (75xh95+ hdmi 2.1 would do it) with ps5.

One last thing : i have a ps4 pro

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Death Stranding -> You seem to dislike open world so i wouldn't go for it. Lots of going back and forth in the map.
13 Sentinels -> could be a good pick, but keep in mind this is pretty much a visual novel with lots of reading, so if that ain't your thing skip it.
FFVII -> Don't know, you could like it.

Since you liked DMCV and some story driven games
-Nier Automata

Since you liked Dead Cells
-Hollow Knight
-Bloodstained: ritual of the night
-Hades (PC, Switch)
-Noita (PC)
-Axiom Verge

Since you liked RE2R:
-Resident evil 7

Last edited:
My backlog is massive. It became even larger after BC started being a thing on the Xbox and now I’m not sure how to handle it. Any tips?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would like to add a vote to Hollow Knight and Nier: Automata.

My backlog is massive. It became even larger after BC started being a thing on the Xbox and now I’m not sure how to handle it. Any tips?
Just play whatever you feel like man. You are not going to hell if you die with having unplayed games.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
When i say finished, i mean either abandonned because it did not click or completed.

Recently, to give you the kind of games i play, i finished recently < 2 months):
- titanfall 2 (my first ever fps). I tried it because in one of the recent Edge copy, it was mentionned as one of the generation highlights. I enjoyed it a lot (campaign) and perfect length for me. 8/10.
- spiderman (2018). Had to tackle this one in several shots as initially found it boring. Until i realized i could do only main mission and it was much better. Enjoyed it globally. 7/10.
- what remains of edith finch. Again based on Edge recommandation. Had a good time. 7/10.
- middlearth : shadow of war. Enjoyed it, until it was pure grinding. Scoring the part i enjoyed : 7/10.

- bloodborne. Yeah i know... Too painful/ fufrustrating losing to a boss and having to replay 10 minutes to go back to it.

And for the record here are the games i played that i would score 10/10 or 9/10 on this generation : SFV, DMC5, Detroit, the last guardian, inside, darkest dungeon, TLOU remastered, Until dawn.

I heard 13 sentinel, street of rage or FFVII remake, death stranding are good. Any other suggestions ?

Or may be i should just wait for ps5, but it may be a while, as i want to synchronise a new tv (75xh95+ hdmi 2.1 would do it) with ps5.

Play MGSV as you did Spiderman. You'll notice the game is much more linear if you stick to story missions. Then the open world is limited in an Area of Operations that is much smaller.

Thanks for the tips

Oh nier Automata...was on my radar a while ago. Question : is it hard or ok (i don't really play "hard" games) ?

RE3 remake : read bad things on it. Afraid to be disappointed.

RE7 : what stopped me was the first person view. But since i beat my first ever fps with titanfall 2, i may go for it.

13 sentinels : apparently lots of reading so i'll skip this one.

Hollow knight : already got this one. Did not enjoy it ( and i loved deadcells).

Death stranding : did not saw the openworld nature of this one. I'll drop. Just keep in mind that i loved Horizon (could have put this one on my top list, forgot about it).

Azurro

Banned
Resident Evil 3 remake is on special right now, I got it for something like 15 euros. That's a good game, even if not as good as RE2 Remake.

Last edited:

Why are you holding on those games to play on PS5? It's not like they have a PS5 upgrade option. Tlou 2 looks exactly the same.

Miles708

Already own 2 in the series and i don't know why but could not get into either. So in my abandonned list.
That's fair enough.

What genres you prefer? If you're going for smaller/easier to play games, i would suggest:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • The Last Guardian
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Gravity Rush (1 and 2)
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap
  • Unravel
That should cover quite a bit of genres and moods, while not requiring 6 months each to finish.

Last edited:
Why are you holding on those games to play on PS5? It's not like they have a PS5 upgrade option. Tlou 2 looks exactly the same.
Secretely hoping for a ps5 tlou2 patch. Same as tlou1 remastered i played on ps4 and not on my ps3...but it may never come (i doubt it).

Oh and i may have been not clear enough : i don't own those games. After my backlog management therapy : i only buy a game if i intend to play it within the next 3 days. Like that, i optimise my finances, i don't buy in advance and i don't have anymore this feeling of "guilt" even if it's not really the proper word when you have a 100+ backlog. No way i'm going back to that ever again.

That's fair enough.

What genres you prefer? If you're going for smaller/easier to play games, i would suggest:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • The Last Guardian
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Gravity Rush (1 and 2)
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap
  • Unravel
That should cover quite a bit of genres and moods, while not requiring 6 months each to finish.

Im my first post, i mentionned some of those games. The only one i don't have is wonder boy and the dragon's trap. Never heard of it...

Secretely hoping for a ps5 tlou2 patch. Same as tlou1 remastered i played on ps4 and not on my ps3...but it may never come (i doubt it).

Oh and i may have been not clear enough : i don't own those games. After my backlog management therapy : i only buy a game if i intend to play it within the next 3 days. Like that, i optimise my finances, i don't buy in advance and i don't have anymore this feeling of "guilt" even if it's not really the proper word when you have a 100+ backlog. No way i'm going back to that ever again.
I don't think there will be a patch. Judging by Sony's ways, they wouldn't waste their time on a free patch, they would instead do a remaster to sell it for $50 because they believe in generations.

xrnzaaas

What about Resident Evil 3 Remake? It's not long, but there is replay value for unlocking things and tackling different difficulties.
I may be in the minority, but I always finish RE games only once (unless there are different scenarios like in RE2R). I play them for the story, not for challenging myself on higher difficulties or unlocking bonus content. And if you play like I do then RE3R is a huge disappointment, because it's short and doesn't have any choices.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for the advises.
So i just bought :
- nier automata GOTY edition : €19.99
- resident evil 7 : €9.99.

Hope i'll enjoy those. Those will be the 2 last i play on my ps4 pro. The rest will be on ps5.

Thanks gaf !!
You could've tried Nier lengthy demo first.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Well done on clearing the backlog, i just made mine longer. One of the games was Nier too, so let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wtf is going on with saves witb nier automata ??! Played for 45 min and now relaading and i have to start sonce the BEGINNING !! Arrrg.
Sorry to read that, but my man, the game warns you right at the start that it doesn't autosave. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

4-DontPlayOnHard_(12).jpg

geordiemp

Ghosts of Tsushima is so good. beat it twice, surprised at how good tyhe lengends coop mode is, been playing that all week, reminds me of a better version of the old mass effect multiplayer but with 3 progressive areas per map and better combat.

Guilty_AI

Wtf is going on with saves witb nier automata ??! Played for 45 min and now relaading and i have to start sonce the BEGINNING !! Arrrg.
You have to complete the prologue without dying. If its too hard or you lose patience, just switch to easy then switch back, game doesn't punish you or anything.
Would still recommend completing it normally though, its a great opportunity to get used to the mechanics and controls.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean if you haven't tried TLOU2 I would start there. It's kinda open world. Not too long. Got decent acting and the story is great or terrible depending who you ask. It's like a dum-dum mystery lollipop for all who play.

enjoy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
RE7 is wonderful. Did you by chance get the Gold Edition with all the DLC? Get ready to finish the plot when Resident Evil Village comes out. NieR is great once you figure it out. The way that game is designed is something to remember. Saving is much easier later on. That intro just throws everything at you all at once.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nioh 2. You might find it a bit unforgiving, because its arguably even more hardcore than From's offerings, but due to it being equal parts Diablo and Souls, there are a stupid number of ways to mitigate difficulty using its loot and RPG systems.

The first game is similar, but does offer a much harder skill-check in early game with bosses like Hino-Enma basically forcing you to use specific tactics or else.

I'd highly recommend both, but with the sequel Team NInja have very much tried to make it a smoother ride for players without mad skills at action games.

sainraja

Don't hold on Ghost of Tsushima. It was designed as a PS4 game so you will be playing it at its best (sure, the PS5 will have some enhancements and if SuckerPunch updates it for the PS5 that will be a plus). The game is very good and has the right balance of combat, story, side quests etc. I have just reached the second act and am realizing that I need to change strategy in how I fight, specially during the first half of act 2, I am relying on items that I could pretty much avoid given how strong my character had gotten. So definitely challenging enough so you don't get bored.

Last edited:

Finish those fucking games that you said are "too long, too painful"

insult moron GIF

Skipped Bloodborne? NOOOooooooo.....

You gotta break that initial barrier...... I know it's time consuming for first timers but once you get through that first boss you get an essence for what you need to do following that and what to expect. Then again Gaiscoine is a MF following Cleric Beast. Fun tip on Bloodborne (explore the place to open shortcuts - then simply just run to the boss once the shortcuts are unlocked). The game is sooo big. You're missing on a lot once it opens up.

I would say Nioh/Nioh 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, The Crash Collection/Crash 4, Uncharted 4, God of War, Batman Arkham Knight, Sekiro ( 🏃‍♂️), Dark Souls 3 (easier than Bloodborne), Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare/2/Battle for Neighborville, Uncharted Lost Legacy, the Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Nioh 2. You might find it a bit unforgiving, because its arguably even more hardcore than From's offerings, but due to it being equal parts Diablo and Souls, there are a stupid number of ways to mitigate difficulty using its loot and RPG systems.

The first game is similar, but does offer a much harder skill-check in early game with bosses like Hino-Enma basically forcing you to use specific tactics or else.

I'd highly recommend both, but with the sequel Team NInja have very much tried to make it a smoother ride for players without mad skills at action games.
Had to abandon nioh 1. Was getting punished too hard. May be 2 will be better for me.

Top Bottom