• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more backlog. No ps5. The One game to play ?

Jtibh

Banned
Finished my backlog a few days ago.
When i say finished, i mean either abandonned because it did not click or completed.

As i don't have yet a ps5, i literally have 0 games to play.
Recently, to give you the kind of games i play, i finished recently < 2 months):
- titanfall 2 (my first ever fps). I tried it because in one of the recent Edge copy, it was mentionned as one of the generation highlights. I enjoyed it a lot (campaign) and perfect length for me. 8/10.
- spiderman (2018). Had to tackle this one in several shots as initially found it boring. Until i realized i could do only main mission and it was much better. Enjoyed it globally. 7/10.
- what remains of edith finch. Again based on Edge recommandation. Had a good time. 7/10.
- Little hope : enjoyed it a lot. 8/10
- Erica : enjoyed it. 7/10.
-Resident evil 2 remake. Didn't expect to enjoy this one. 9/10.
- middlearth : shadow of war. Enjoyed it, until it was pure grinding. Scoring the part i enjoyed : 7/10.
- dead cells : wow. Stellar. 9/10

I had to drop following games :
- bloodborne. Yeah i know... Too painful/ fufrustrating losing to a boss and having to replay 10 minutes to go back to it.
- persona 5 : too long for me. Enjoyed my time with it though.
- MGS V : too long, too open world for me. Did not click (big mgs fan here).

And for the record here are the games i played that i would score 10/10 or 9/10 on this generation : SFV, DMC5, Detroit, the last guardian, inside, darkest dungeon, TLOU remastered, Until dawn.

So i need 1 game to play.
I'm holding on GOT, TLOU2, Days Gone to play them on ps5.

I heard 13 sentinel, street of rage or FFVII remake, death stranding are good. Any other suggestions ?

Or may be i should just wait for ps5, but it may be a while, as i want to synchronise a new tv (75xh95+ hdmi 2.1 would do it) with ps5.

One last thing : i have a ps4 pro
Sub to psnow and you will find stuff to play for sure

Skipped Bloodborne? NOOOooooooo.....

You gotta break that initial barrier...... I know it's time consuming for first timers but once you get through that first boss you get an essence for what you need to do following that and what to expect. Then again Gaiscoine is a MF following Cleric Beast. Fun tip on Bloodborne (explore the place to open shortcuts - then simply just run to the boss once the shortcuts are unlocked). The game is sooo big. You're missing on a lot once it opens up.

I would say Nioh/Nioh 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, The Crash Collection/Crash 4, Uncharted 4, God of War, Batman Arkham Knight, Sekiro ( 🏃‍♂️), Dark Souls 3 (easier than Bloodborne), Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare/2/Battle for Neighborville, Uncharted Lost Legacy, the Witcher 3.
I did not "skip" bloodborne. I passed many bosses. Thing is i'm stuck somewhere and can't find a way to progress. Father gascoigne was a pain in the ass but managed to beat him after ... 50 tries ?
Of the other games you mentioned, i have completed some but the team nunja ones, the souls, batman arkham knight and plant vs zombies. Based on earlier recommandation, just bought nier automata (playing it right now. Enjoying it except gfx which are very poor but rest is ok) and RE7.

Jtibh

Banned
I am against subscription based models, that are essentially paywalls to turn any gamer into a sheep down the line. Same for movies : once movies will be exclusives to playforms, i'll

Thats not true in this case

There are tons of games on psnow you would never buy but are great to try out and play till the good games come out again.

I paid 50 for a year and i played lots of hidden gems and lots of others like rage 2 i would have never spent money on.

Its good for when you run out of games to play but dont want to spend money

Last edited:
I did not "skip" bloodborne. I passed many bosses. Thing is i'm stuck somewhere and can't find a way to progress. Father gascoigne was a pain in the ass but managed to beat him after ... 50 tries ?
Of the other games you mentioned, i have completed some but the team nunja ones, the souls, batman arkham knight and plant vs zombies. Based on earlier recommandation, just bought nier automata (playing it right now. Enjoying it except gfx which are very poor but rest is ok) and RE7.

Can't find Forbidden Woods?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'll derinitely play tlou2. I just wait to get a ps5. Same for got, wanna p'ay it @60fps.
Hmmm...what about Uncharted 4? I personally didn't like it that much, but you might. It might get an upgrade too for PS5 though. It is a bit difficult to recommend when i don't know what you've played fully...any preferred genres
or genres?

Hmmm...what about Uncharted 4? I personally didn't like it that much, but you might. It might get an upgrade too for PS5 though. It is a bit difficult to recommend when i don't know what you've played fully...any preferred genres
or genres?
Played and finsihed incharted 4 and lost legacy. Cool games. Very polished.

Have you tried Hollow Knight? Since you like Dead Cells.. it’s REALLY good and charming.
Yes i tried hollow knight. For some reason (and for me) dead cell >> hollow knight

If you played the original FF7, then FF7 remake is the no brainer title.
Haven't played the original ff7 on my ps1. Have this on my radar.
Right now playing nier automata. Gfx are really lame but i enjoy it up to now (2 hours in).

May be. What is forbidden woods ? How do i get there ?
You beat Vicar Amelia? Beast saint girl in the cathedral church. Finding Forbidden Woods usually get people lost as you got potentially 3 side-bosses that provide dead ends after Vicar Amelia. You need to beat Vicar to get the password to a gate. To get the password you need to walk close to the head of beast Lawrence which is resting at the altar on the cathedral church after beating Vicar Amerlia (interact with it I believe), then backtrack to the Forbidden Woods gate (and you have to know which gate it's). The path that leads to the Witch (sideboss) is not it. That's one of the few design issues that wasn't QA enough and shipped with the game (IMO).

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Played and finsihed incharted 4 and lost legacy. Cool games. Very polished.

Yes i tried hollow knight. For some reason (and for me) dead cell >> hollow knight

Haven't played the original ff7 on my ps1. Have this on my radar.
Right now playing nier automata. Gfx are really lame but i enjoy it up to now (2 hours in).
Then don’t touch Remake. Playing the original makes it 100x better.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
tenor.gif

That's the reaction I had. I honestly spat out my rum reading that.

First ever FPS the OP has played? Holy shit OP, you've missed out some absolute banging games.

kyussman

Yea,I pretty much got through my backlog last year too....I won't be getting a next gen console for a while either so....I bought myself a copy of Skyrim for Xmas,I've never played it so figured it would keep me busy for a good while,lol.

No haven't beaten this boss.

Then the only probable roadblock you're facing is opening the gate to Vicar Amelia. You do that by, from the cathedral ward lamp, going right, up the elevator, then right and down to the made-up wooden rafts within that tower. You'll have to drop down from there (wooden platform to wooden platform) where there is low visibility. Once you make it all the way down the path will lead you to Vicar Amelia (and recommended to open the gate for future shortcut). After that you can beat Vicar Amelia, and another sideboss. After Vicar, to progress through the main game however, you have to go to the Forbidden Woods.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

My backlog is massive. It became even larger after BC started being a thing on the Xbox and now I’m not sure how to handle it. Any tips?
The biggest mistake is to 'hold back to savor the flavor' and play B-list games and ignore your AAAs.

Also, some games are huge and others are really short, so it's not fair to pour 100 hours into a particular game and only five on another one because it was too short.

A good solution for open-world games is to play a few side quests, explore a bit, progress through the main story ... feel like the game earned its buck somewhat then go to something else you really want to play. That way you constantly shift games so that you won't get bored and won't neglect other games you won't to play ... but there's a catch: you will never excel at those games, and the further in you go and the difficulty increases, the more you may find yourself struggling. For example, imagine playing a game like Arkham Knight where muscle memory and combo patterns are important to victory, and returning to the main campaign after weeks, feeling like you need a tutorial again while the game considers that by now you know the controls by heart and doesn't hold its punches. You'll need to waste a couple of hours just to get the hang of things once more.

Still, it's a small price to pay for playing what you want, when you want.

Small advice: If you drop an open world game, make sure you have at least won the current (side) quest in order to not return to the game after months when you are in the middle of a dungeon and don't remember where you are, where you were going, etc.

Kev Kev

That's the reaction I had. I honestly spat out my rum reading that.

First ever FPS the OP has played? Holy shit OP, you've missed out some absolute banging games.
For real!

To name a very few: goldeneye (n64), half life, Perfect Dark, halo, left 4 dead, mother fucking PORTAL! god dammnit how I’m just getting mad at OP 😂

Royal-Slime

Banned
My backlog is massive. It became even larger after BC started being a thing on the Xbox and now I’m not sure how to handle it. Any tips?
You'll be destroyed when you'll find out about emulation :D Cut the fat and keep only the games which you really want to play. If the game is gameplay-heavy, double-check whether or not there's something unique in it. For example, is there any need to play Call of Duty 1 when there's Modern Warfare 2019 and Cold War? The story was never good in CoD, therefore it's just gameplay... which is obviously better in the last installment.
I am able to tolerate old games only if I like the franchise a lot.

Now we need one with "WASH YOUR HANDS" :D

For real!

To name a very few: goldeneye (n64), half life, Perfect Dark, halo, left 4 dead, mother fucking PORTAL! god dammnit how I’m just getting mad at OP 😂
Well, titanfall 2 was good. Never been attracted by FPSs, maybe because they looked too "fast" and i thought i'll never be able to aim with a controller... it was finally ok for TF2, and game ran properly.

Top Bottom