• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No need for Bugs Bunny, south Florida may be gone within a century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope these bastards are wrong, Sarasota is awesome and I'd like it to stay above water.

Well, it is not going to happen for a long time. But increasingly worse storm surges are what is going to get Florida. Eventually insurance rates will just get too high. There will probably be a big hurricane eventually that causes a massive amount of damage and people will question if it is really worth rebuilding to the same degree.

Mudkips

Banned
14ice_graphic-popup-v3.jpg

l3kYm.gif

Mudkips

Banned
"Failed Science"

Nope. The people making that graph failed math.
For sustained geometric growth in sea level you need an exponential growth in ocean volume.
As you increase the sea level you need increasingly more volume to maintain that rate of increase.
4/3 Pi R^3 and all that.
Not gonna happen.

Don't the Netherlands have a lot of land under sea level, near the coast?

yes, we do. By walling it off and continuous pumping water out, much like modern day new york does, but it's no guarantee flooding cannot, or will not, occur at some point.
It just decreases the chance of it happening.

Septimius

For sustained geometric growth in sea level you need an exponential growth in ocean volume.
As you increase the sea level you need increasingly more volume to maintain that rate of increase.
4/3 Pi R^3 and all that.
Not gonna happen.

Sure, if you'd have a linear growth, you'd need exponentially more volume. But we're talking EXPONENTIAL GROWTH! Then it's like linear increase in volume.

if x = y, then y = x.
It's simple maths, man.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Yay!!
Guess I'm going to inevatibly leave south Florida!!! Yay. I hope I grow the balls and wealth necessary to leave.

Dicer

Banned
4/3 Pi R^3 and all that.
Not gonna happen.

But, it is gonna happen...

And not just in Florida.

mclem

How south? I'm fairly sure they'll have figured out how to levitate EPCOT by then, but I feel I must check.

No idea if this is going to happen, but if it doesn't then it won't be the first time a scientist has made a dramatic claim about climate change that turned out to be false. It harms the cause dramatically, IMO.

Queue the same Climate Denialists in our current governments calling for a "South Florida Tax" once it becomes obvious that they were terrible liars.

turnbuckle

No idea if this is going to happen, but if it doesn't then it won't be the first time a scientist has made a dramatic claim about climate change that turned out to be false. It harms the cause dramatically, IMO.

sigh...
science harms the cause - knee jerk cynicism, ignorance, and apathy must be doing great for it.

sigh...
science harms the cause - knee jerk cynicism, ignorance, and apathy must be doing great for it.

I'm confused - you don't think I'm right? You really don't think that when a scientist makes a dramatic claim that turns out to be false, it harms the cause? I discussed this at length in another thread and I don't want to sound like I'm banging on about it, but a climate scientist from a research unit in the UK said about 10 years ago that, within a few years, kids wouldn't know what snow is. It still snows here often. The UK Met office has overestimated the mean temperature for 12 of the last 13 years. Global Warming was a big thing In the 80s and 90s but it's now changed to climate change because the changes in the environment manifest themselves in other ways than just temperature - but it means that what people were told to fear for a long time hasn't materialised, since the mean temperature of the earth hasn't really changed in the last decade or two.

Personally, I think climate change is happening and that it's man made - but, in light of the above, you don't need to be partaking in 'knee jerk cynicism, ignorance and apathy' to read this article and just roll your eyes.

Opiate

I'm confused - you don't think I'm right? You really don't think that when a scientist makes a dramatic claim that turns out to be false, it harms the cause? I discussed this at length in another thread and I don't want to sound like I'm banging on about it, but a climate scientist from a research unit in the UK said about 10 years ago that, within a few years, kids wouldn't know what snow is. It still snows here often. The UK Met office has overestimated the mean temperature for 12 of the last 13 years. Global Warming was a big thing In the 80s and 90s but it's now changed to climate change because the changes in the environment manifest themselves in other ways than just temperature - but it means that what people were told to fear for a long time hasn't materialised, since the mean temperature of the earth hasn't really changed in the last decade or two.

Personally, I think climate change is happening and that it's man made - but, in light of the above, you don't need to be partaking in 'knee jerk cynicism, ignorance and apathy' to read this article and just roll your eyes.

This doesn't seem nearly as cavalier a prediction. So far, ice shelf melting (and subsequent sea level rises) have exceeded even climatologists' pessimistic consensus estimations.

While of course these predictions might be wrong. you can't reasonably expect alarm bells to only ring once we are 100% sure that disaster is coming; at that point, the disaster is already occurring and raising an alarm is completely worthless. Deciding on when alarms become efficacious is a much more complicated discussion than people give it credit for. How likely does an event need to be for alarms to be a good idea? How significantly does that likelihood vary based on how severe the potential problem is? Should smoke detectors be turned in to fire detectors, and only sound an alarm when your house is already burning down?

With that said, I do agree there is a problem of communication here, but I think primary component of that problem is the press, not the scientists in question. The scientists quoted in this article seem to be talking in probabilistic terms, as they should. Journalists take a concept like "there is a statistically significant probability that sea levels will rise high enough over the next 100 years to submerge low elevation cities like Miami" and reporting it as "Miami is doomed."*

*Note: these are not actual quotes from the article, just general summaries of the positions being presented for convenience.

This doesn't seem nearly as cavalier a prediction. So far, ice shelf melting (and subsequent sea level rises) have exceeded even climatologists' pessimistic consensus estimations.

While of course these predictions might be wrong. you can't reasonably expect alarm bells to only ring once we are 100% sure that disaster is coming; at that point, the disaster is already occurring and raising an alarm is completely worthless. Deciding on when alarms become efficacious is a much more complicated discussion than people give it credit for. How likely does an event need to be for alarms to be a good idea? How significantly does that likelihood vary based on how severe the potential problem is? Should smoke detectors be turned in to fire detectors, and only sound an alarm when your house is already burning down?

With that said, I do agree there is a problem of communication here, but I think primary component of that problem is the press, not the scientists in question. The scientists quoted in this article seem to be talking in probabilistic terms, as they should. Journalists take a concept like "there is a statistically significant probability that sea levels will rise high enough over the next 100 years to submerge low elevation cities like Miami" and reporting it as "Miami is doomed."*

*Note: these are not actual quotes from the article, just general summaries of the positions being presented for convenience.

I agree entirely with everything. It likely was the journalist (but still, this is Rolling Stone, not National Geographic - there was an obviously nonscientific audience that this was aimed at). And indeed, Scientists should be free yo make mistakes, revise their hypothesis and change their stance in light of new data, findings, theories etc. That's necessary for progress to be made. But it does make it slightly hard to swallow comics like that above which show anyone who doesn't believe everything a 'scientist' says as being some sort of intentionally ignorant idiot - scientists make mistakes too, and that's fine.

turnbuckle

Not necessarily all three (it may be out of one of them - in your case it's cynicism). Should this information not be reported then?

Reporting studies and data that have a potential devastating outcome isn't damaging to the cause if the cause is to inform the public. The kind of folks that are disillusioned with climate change because of something someone said that didn't or hasn't yet panned out will roll their eyes at even the most objective and neutral scientific reporting on the matter. Should this not happen within a century doesn't mean the trend isn't steering in that direction and we shouldn't let other bold claims that haven't been true (I still know what snow is, lol) deter us from being open to other scenarios. It's one thing if the science if flimsy and alarmist, it's another to highlight realistic threats from data and observation.

That said, as Opiate mentioned earlier a lot of the problem comes from the nature of how scientific news is reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom