• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Porsche in Forza 4, "EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again"

RiverBed said:
I suggest a thread title change to :" no Porsche because T10 doesn't have the license".

I don't see EA at fault here. They own the license. Porsche offered it and EA had the best offer. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
EA allowed T10 to use their license. They aren't obligated to.

Again this would be fine and good if Porsche cars were never feature in any of Forza games and EA is publishing awesome sim racer that can compte with GT5 and Forza.

The problem is they don't have products to compete and the one that they had (Shift) they of course shit on it.

No they are not obligated to do anything and it is within their right. That doesn't mean it's not thier fault. They are still the asshole. Of course it's EA fault, they hold the license and have the power to sub-license it.

gillty

Banned
RiverBed said:
I suggest a thread title change to :" no Porsche because T10 doesn't have the license".

I don't see EA at fault here. They own the license. Porsche offered it and EA had the best offer. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
EA allowed T10 to use their license. They aren't obligated to.
Thank you for repeating the obvious.

People don't give a fuck about the business side of licensing, they just want to drive Porsche's in GT5, Forza 4, iRacing, etc...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
claviertekky said:
Peter Moore, what is the meaning of this ludicrousness?
He was the one who promoted Forza heavily on the first Xbox; seems a bit weird he's blocking stuff for Forza 4.

EA can only dream of creating a racing sim as good a Forza or Gran Tourismo, so they have to pull movies like this to cheat their way to sales.

Fuck you EA.

Edit:
Mascot said:
Fuck that shit. Microsoft should buy Porsche and cut out the middleman.

I like the way you think! lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The Porsche license being exclusive to EA is a waste of historical proportions.

What a fucking waste..

No autovista treatment for my beloved Porsches.

kpop100 said:
No less than 3 people posting in this topic are doing so with a big shit eating happy meal grin, and its obvious who.

Seriously. Topics like this are great because apologists and even straight up GameFAQS level fanboys stick out like a sore thumb.

I mean, what the fuck is this shit?

Akkad said:
Good for EA, if you paid for exclusivity you might as well use it. MS has no problem paying for timed exclusivity.

Akkad said:
They are using it to keep it away from a competitor. You know like MS used their money to keep a shit load of games away from the PS3.

Glad to see JWong get verbally owned by so many people, too.

DSN2K

shit for Forza fans but yeah, EA have done nothing wrong at all imo.

Like EA allowing Konami to simply include the full English Premier League for the good of Football fans, yeah right its not going to happen is it.

Jalopnik is right.

The biggest loser, gamers aside, is Porsche. A glorious brand that is nowhere to be found in the two greatest sim-like games on consoles (FM3 not included).

GT is so famous that car makers even create new real cars for/from it, as an example of how relevant games are today for the car industry.

Microsoft though should just have paid EA. It would have been one of the first reasonable moneyhats of this generation.

metareferential said:
Jalopnik is right.

The biggest loser, gamers aside, is Porsche. A glorious brand that is nowhere to be found in the two greatest sim-like games on consoles (FM3 not included).

GT is so famous that car makers even create new real cars for/from it, as an example of how relevant games are today for the car industry.

Microsoft though should just have paid EA. It would have been one of the first reasonable moneyhats of this generation.
Where did you read that Microsoft didn't want to pay? In that interview he said they constantly negotiate but EA just refuse.

watership

metareferential said:

I think MS sub-licensing Porsche in Forza 1-3 was some sort of payment agreement. I doubt they let MS use it for free.

antiquegamer said:
Where did you read that Microsoft didn't want to pay? In that interview he said they constantly negotiate but EA just refuse.

Of course the triedy to pay.

They should have tried harder, and pay more.

And they didn't want to.

SolidSnakex said:
He repeatedly said why Porsche wasn't in GT5. People just called him a liar or said that PD were just being cheap because they were in Forza 3.

Exactly, when Kaz says it people give him the middle finger and accuse him of being a liar but when Dan says it EA takes the blame. MS refuses to give EA the Ferrari licence (sub-licencing on the 360) so why should EA give them the Porsche licence? from a fans perspective we are being shafted but from EA's perspective it's great for future business.

watership

metareferential said:
Of course the triedy to pay.

They should have tried harder, and pay more.

And they didn't want to.

You're speculating wildly. They said they negotiated for 18 months, and couldn't come to an agreement. If Microsoft wouldn't pay for something, you know the price was extreme or not even on the table.

watership said:
You're speculating wildly. They said they negotiated for 18 months, and couldn't come to an agreement. If Microsoft wouldn't pay for something, you know the price was extreme or not even on the table.

Of course am I speculating. What else should I do?

We just have Microsoft's version, which is "we tried but they didn't want to".

It is the gamers who lose in the end. Whether it's the NFL licence or the F1 license or the PGA licence. Games are supposed to be a form of entertainment and by limiting competition many are at the mercy of corporate greed.

Iknos

GTP_Daverytimes said:
from a fans perspective we are being shafted but from EA's perspective it's great for future business.

Yeah it means a lot for the Run which has 2 announced Porsche vehicles.

Iknos said:
Yeah it means a lot for the Run which has 2 announced Porsche vehicles.

What makes you think they are not going to announce more? what about DLC? or a brand new game?. People will surely buy their games to play Porsche's, it might not be the sole reason but it will be part of the reason people purchase their games. whether it be only one person or a hundred it does make a difference.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
What makes you think they are not going to announce more? what about DLC? or a brand new game?. People will surely buy their games to play Porsche's, it might not be the sole reason but it will be part of the reason people purchase their games. whether it be only one person or a hundred it does make a difference.
Sim fans are going to buy NFS to play Porsches. Right.

brotkasten said:
Sim fans are going to buy NFS to play Porsches. Right.

Here is the problem, arcade fans far (and i mean far) outnumber Sim fans, and among those fans are Porsche enthusiasts who could give less of a fuck whether the game is a sim or not.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Here is the problem, arcade fans far (and i mean far) outnumber Sim fans, and among those fans are Porsche enthusiasts who could give less of a fuck whether the game is a sim or not.

EA isn't going to shift more units of NFS because of Porsche. The effect of having them exclusively is negligible at best, which makes the fact that they suddenly won't sub-license the brand all the more silly.

Now, being able to advertise ALL the prominent manufacturers can actually work for your brand, but it's a case where both parties have to want that, and clearly they don't.

U n i o n 0015 said:
EA isn't going to shift more units of NFS because of Porsche. The effect of having them exclusively is negligible at best, which makes the fact that they suddenly won't sub-license the brand all the more silly.

Now, being able to advertise ALL the prominent manufacturers can actually work for your brand, but it's a case where both parties have to want that, and clearly they don't.

Do you have a basis for this or is it just an assumption.

GTP_Daverytimes said:

That's just because arcade racers outnumber sims in shear quantity. GT5 sold as much if not more than NFS:HP2 and Forza 3 sold more than the recent Burnout. Unless there is another arcade racer I'm missing that sold better than the NFS or Burnout series? (I could be)

On top of that Blur, Shift, and a other arcade racers probably aren't seeing sequels.

I'm not saying that sim outsells arcade, there are too many arcade style racers for that to happen, but if you take the top selling they are similar in sales. Saying "and I mean far" doesn't seem accurate.

Especially when GT5 is one of the best selling racing franchises of all time.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Do you honestly believe that the majority of customers are aware of this bullshit and buy NFS, because it has Porsches? People buy racing games and expect Porsches in them. If they're missing, people might wonder why that is and blame the dev for not including them, but you can't tell me that the majority of the 5M+ NFS customers buy NFS, because they know that Porsche is exclusive to that series.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
GTP_Daverytimes said:

GTP_Daverytimes said:

Who in reality has ever gone out of their way to get a game just because a certain manufacturer was featured in it? Are you kidding me? I have never passed on a racing game or got one based on if X car or manufacturer was in the game, the complete package in terms of features and solid racing gameplay is what mattered by far, the cars/manufacturers are not even part of the equation after all is said and done if the gameplay is top notch.

This is just a shame considering the autovista love that Porsche would have gotten by T10. EA just doesn't do the license justice AT ALL, it's all half baked usage for the masses to consume for the sake of just having it in the game. Why the fuck does EA need the exclusivity from Porsche anymore really? I mean seriously what are they doing with it other than cockblocking the highlighted historical importance and visibility that T10 would have given Porsche with FM 4?

They are doing jack shit with the Porsche license, Porsche should revoke that shit immediately. It's in their best interest really..

That's my take on the situation.

Let me put something in perspective to you. Thanks to FM 3 I have compiled a list of cars that I would LOVE to buy and that I plan to buy (one out of a list of 15 or so) that I modified externally to approximately what would be my liking in real life. A Porsche is one of the cars on the list, I salivate over virtual showrooms specially ones where you have flexibility with the vehicles like the FM franchise.

Car manufacturers need to take note of this, this is the direction shit is heading in terms of clientele. People get ideas from "incubated" (lol) dreams from games now a days.

Now you might say this somewhat sounds hypocritical (about what I was saying that manufactures/cars didn't matter if the gameplay was great) but what I'm saying is that EA is just not doing anything with the license to stop collaborating all of the sudden with T10, if they got something under wraps then that's another story but I just think they are being their typical asshole self.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
MS refuses to give EA the Ferrari licence (sub-licencing on the 360) so why should EA give them the Porsche licence? from a fans perspective we are being shafted but from EA's perspective it's great for future business.

Wrong and wrong. EA have had Ferrari cars in their 360 releases. The lack of reading comprehension skills in this thread is truly astounding. Also, justifying EA's mishandling of the Porsche license is simply hilarious. They're getting absolutely nothing out of it, just a considerable amount of bad press.

Trunchisholm said:
Wrong and wrong. EA have had Ferrari cars in their 360 releases. The lack of reading comprehension skills in this thread is truly astounding. Also, justifying EA's mishandling of the Porsche license is simply hilarious. They're getting absolutely nothing out of it, just a considerable amount of bad press.

yeah but are those ferrari allows on the PS3 version? if not then MS deserve it!! yeah karma is a bitch!!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
sleeping_dragon said:
yeah but are those ferrari allows on the PS3 version? if not then MS deserve it!! yeah karma is a bitch!!

Ferrari's license for MS is on 360 ONLY you don't get it? As in control on the 360 platform only.

Christ.

sleeping_dragon said:

Say what? For the hundredth time, they don't have the PS3 Ferrari license. This thread is just silly. It's people posting for the sake of posting without making the slightest effort to at least do some reading and know what's going on.

Trunchisholm said:
Say what? For the hundredth time, they don't have the PS3 Ferrari license. This thread is just silly. It's people posting for the sake of posting without making the slightest effort to at least do some reading and know what's going on.

Whatever gives them ammo for the console warz.

JWong

Banned
Infamous Chris said:
Glad to see JWong get verbally owned by so many people, too.
Uuuuuh what? Dan Greenawalt is known to attack other game companies. All that "definite car sim" bullcrap when Forza 3 had unrealistic barrel roll.

He has no integrity. He's doing anything he can to save a Forza sale because he knows that NFS and GT5 are far superior car games than Forza in terms of quality and sales.

Shaneus

NFS is greater than Forza? Sure. In sales, but that's it. And GT5 quality-wise is at best, on par with Forza 3.

Gonna work on my ignore list thanks to this thread, I think.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
JWong said:
Uuuuuh what? Dan Greenawalt is known to attack other game companies. All that "definite car sim" bullcrap when Forza 3 had unrealistic barrel roll.

He has no integrity. He's doing anything he can to save a Forza sale because he knows that NFS and GT5 are far superior car games than Forza in terms of quality and sales.

rrib8x.png

lol Jesus Christ dude, you must have a deep personal hatred for Dan..

Hilarious post btw , would read again...

JWong

Banned
Shaneus said:
NFS is greater than Forza? Sure. In sales, but that's it. And GT5 quality-wise is at best, on par with Forza 3.

Gonna work on my ignore list thanks to this thread, I think.
Forza 2 couldn't even outsell a Gran Turismo "demo". People know where to look for a car sim.

jackdoe

EA probably asked for some amount of cash, Turn 10 didn't want to pony it up, and now they want to turn to "lobbyists" to overturn ownership of a license. Good luck with that.

Iknos

GTP_Daverytimes said:
What makes you think they are not going to announce more? what about DLC? or a brand new game?

They could probably announce more. but 32 more? 25 more? 10 more? Doubt it.

Say they had 6 Porsches. Out of 40 cars. Really doesn't seem like the Porsche license is the cornerstone for The Run.

I'd hope they'd announce a new Porsche Unleashed game soon. But when would that hit...next fall? Would Forza 4 still be a big sales threat by Fall 2012?

Trunchisholm said:

Shift your gaze to the top left corner of your screen. b e l i e v e

JWong said:
Forza 2 couldn't even outsell a Gran Turismo "demo". People know where to look for a car sim.

Richard Burns Rally is the best sim on the PS2 console. Sold jack shit compared to the GT series on that console. People on consoles don't know where to go for car sims.

RdN said:
That's a funny speach coming from the same people that didn't allow the Ferrari 458 to appear in the Xbox version of Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Interesting.

Explains why Dan said "blocking other games from having Ferrari outright"...means they did block some Ferraris.

Why does MS need to have exclusive Ferrari licensing for the 360 and PC anyways? That's lame.

jackdoe said:
EA probably asked for some amount of cash, Turn 10 didn't want to pony it up, and now they want to turn to "lobbyists" to overturn ownership of a license.

Yep. In other news, J.F. Kennedy was probably murdered by zombie John Wilkes Booth. Stop making so much sense!

Top Bottom