• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS5s sold in stores in 2020 due to covid (Norway)

Reficul

No PS5 sold in store 2020

When PlayStation 5 is released on November 19, it will not be possible to get the console in stores. All PlayStation 5 sales will be via online stores. As far as we know, this will apply to all outlets.

According to several sources known to Gamer.no, Sony justifies this with the fact that they do not want to contribute to increased corona infection - something they envisage can happen if there are larger gatherings of customers who try to secure the console around launch.
Norwegian site claims that Sony has asked that PS5s are not to be sold in stores this year due to covid.

I don't know if this is a worldwide thing but some chains in Norway are confirming that they have received this request from Sony.

Close if old (and don't shoot the messenger)

Last edited:

Reficul

This "leak" seems way outside the scope of what the site would know. I'm pretty sure higher online stock is a given, but this would come down to a store by store basis.
The site has confirmation from some of the major chains in Norway. But as I said (or did I): I don't know if it's a global thing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No PS5 sold in store 2020

Norwegian site claims that Sony has asked that PS5s are not to be sold in stores this year due to covid.

I don't know if this is a worldwide thing but some chains in Norway are confirming that they have received this request from Sony.

Close if old (and don't shoot the messenger)
Misleading much? Is it too goddamn hard to indicate Norway in the title?

Afaik the same message was sent around to bigger chains and stores across Europe, and from what i heard of people i know working in retail in some places there won´t be any machines on display, pre-order pickup only. But that is just what was asked of the shops to do, if they actually do it is another story. Would make sense though since the westwhitelungpestaids aka evolution is going strong in this part of the world

I hope they´ll have some, because although mine is getting delivered to the doorstep on release day, i firmly planned on visiting the local big retail store to bath in salty "didnt get my console" tears and brag about having one while buying some games.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Nope, some retailers here have said they will have stock on launch day available for people who didn't pre-order online.

Not every country is still under draconian lockdown rules.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Japan is basically back to normal, not happening here.

I'm far from an expert on Japanese culture. From what I am told, many Japanese commonly wore masks long before Covid was a thing, and in general, much of Japan is kept very clean. If these things are true, I imagine that it is pretty controlled in Japan. At the moment, I see the # of new cases in Japan are between 540-700 daily since the beginning of September.

Reficul

Not every country’s response to COVID-19 has been an abject failure so thus would surprise me.
Hey! What are you insin**cough**uating?
We are fine. No virus to be **cough** found in this fine country.

**cough**
**cough**

**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**

Sorry about that. **cough** We're fine.

martino

i'm worried about my preorder now....
confinement is going to be a thing again here...
should have not ask for delivery at the store (and fnac has proven they can't change order for it to be send at home with previous one)

kikii

Gold Member
preorder gang represent. squad up bois fuck the casuals lmao.
My unit better be delivered day one or heads will roll.
I do not give a fuck about anyone's health before I get my PS5.
I need it. And I'll have it. Don't test me.
nais title u have "
Perfection. Erection." :D

Gediminas

Banned
how they going to sell them physically if all consoles are sold out in first 30min.

practically Elkjøp and Power are two retailers and these shops have no consoles to sell.

Hmmm, my country numbers have surged to its highest ever with 1,200 cases in a single day, so I wonder if its gonna happen here as well.

I actually went to a Sony store the other day, and surprisingly, they dont have pre-orders or even a goddamn official price for it.

I was thinking of getting it before maybe spending a couple of months in Russia, but no we shall see.

I wanted my hands on one at launch as I know the number of people in my country owning one at launch will be quite low, therefore allowing me to capitalize on being one of the first.

But eh, no skin off my teeth if I don't.

Orpheum

Got it pre ordered in a store around the corner from my apartment (Germany) I'm seriously scared if i'll be able to get it on release.

Got it pre ordered in a store around the corner from my apartment (Germany) I'm seriously scared if i'll be able to get it on release.

ohoh, u screwed, mein freund. as we learned here

you´ll very likely get ducktaped, buttraped and your ps5 gets stolen. Thanks, Merkel.

zcaa0g

Banned
You can blame the originator, or you can blame the country that has politicized masks.

Anyway, I really hope the UK isn't affected, I don't trust Game or the Post office to get it on time.

The latter is only an issue because of the former so only the former can be blamed. It doesn't hurt to wear a mask, but let's not act like it's a magical shield.

Social distancing still has a more profound impact than the mask does. I'm saying this as a person that had a kidney transplant in August 28th, 2017. It's my responsibility to protect myself, not other people. Now back to gaming related conversations...

azz0r

Banned
The latter is only an issue because of the former so only the former can be blamed. It doesn't hurt to wear a mask, but let's not act like it's a magical shield.

Social distancing still has a more profound impact than the mask does. I'm saying this as a person that had a kidney transplant in August 28th, 2017. It's my responsibility to protect myself, not other people. Now back to gaming related conversations...
I got a warning so I can't reply.

Reficul

I thought that Scandinavia has hardly any restriction, so WTF?
Norway locked down the entire country for a couple of months back in march. This contributed to a fairly mild first wave. The last few weeks the number of people infected has risen, so new restrictions are being applied (though not as severe as in march).

Enzo88

I'm far from an expert on Japanese culture. From what I am told, many Japanese commonly wore masks long before Covid was a thing, and in general, much of Japan is kept very clean. If these things are true, I imagine that it is pretty controlled in Japan. At the moment, I see the # of new cases in Japan are between 540-700 daily since the beginning of September.
There are a lot of things i don`t like about how they are handling Covid, particularly testing here. On top of that, there are legislative hindrances that make things even more complicated (literally the government can`t legally enforce a lockdown), but yeah people are extremely compliant in terms of everything and the city is mostly clean.

The number of cases in Japan should not be taken as a reference for anything, they are barely testing, the strategy is focused on trying to identify and isolate clusters.

That said, i gotta give it to them, hospitals are not overflown, so things are not bad, even if i don`t think they took enough measures....these people genetics are freaky, they are immortal or something XD

Outside of having way less tourists, locals are back on streets almost full force and trains are packed everyday.

mitchman

Gold Member
Dammit, I was gonna camp out at Elkjøp @ Ullevål for the launch as my pre-order from komplett has delivery date of May 2021.

Gediminas

Banned
My local Elkjøp told me that they would receive 7 PS5s to be sold in store, so they probably didn't sell everything online.
really? how so? they were sold out like in 30min at first day and never came back like a second round or something.

Are you me? Except from location I'm in the same boat. May '21 from Komplett.
mine coming on desember 12th. that what i see at my pre-order page, but i talked with komplett and they said that i should get it on launch day. i pre-ordered on first day when they opened page for pre-orders.

Top Bottom