• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'No Religion' . . . the fastest growing . . uh . . non-religion hits 15% in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Americans say they have no religion
By RACHEL ZOLL, AP Religion Writer Rachel Zoll, Ap Religion Writer – Mon Mar 9, 12:14 am ET

A wide-ranging study on American religious life found that the Roman Catholic population has been shifting out o of the Northeast to the Southwest, the percentage of Christians in the nation has declined and more people say they have no religion at all.

Fifteen percent of respondents said they had no religion, an increase from 14.2 percent in 2001 and 8.2 percent in 1990, according to the American Religious Identification Survey.

Northern New England surpassed the Pacific Northwest as the least religious region, with Vermont reporting the highest share of those claiming no religion, at 34 percent. Still, the study found that the numbers of Americans with no religion rose in every state.

"No other religious bloc has kept such a pace in every state," the study's authors said.

In the Northeast, self-identified Catholics made up 36 percent of adults last year, down from 43 percent in 1990. At the same time, however, Catholics grew to about one-third of the adult population in California and Texas, and one-quarter of Floridians, largely due to Latino immigration, according to the research.

Nationally, Catholics remain the largest religious group, with 57 million people saying they belong to the church. The tradition gained 11 million followers since 1990, but its share of the population fell by about a percentage point to 25 percent.

Christians who aren't Catholic also are a declining segment of the country.

In 2008, Christians comprised 76 percent of U.S. adults, compared to about 77 percent in 2001 and about 86 percent in 1990. Researchers said the dwindling ranks of mainline Protestants, including Methodists, Lutherans and Episcopalians, largely explains the shift. Over the last seven years, mainline Protestants dropped from just over 17 percent to 12.9 percent of the population.

The report from The Program on Public Values at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., surveyed 54,461 adults in English or Spanish from February through November of last year. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 0.5 percentage points. The findings are part of a series of studies on American religion by the program that will later look more closely at reasons behind the trends.

The current survey, being released Monday, found traditional organized religion playing less of a role in many lives. Thirty percent of married couples did not have a religious wedding ceremony and 27 percent of respondents said they did not want a religious funeral.

About 12 percent of Americans believe in a higher power but not the personal God at the core of monotheistic faiths. And, since 1990, a slightly greater share of respondents — 1.2 percent — said they were part of new religious movements, including Scientology, Wicca and Santeria.

The study also found signs of a growing influence of churches that either don't belong to a denomination or play down their membership in a religious group.

Respondents who called themselves "non-denominational Christian" grew from 0.1 percent in 1990 to 3.5 percent last year. Congregations that most often use the term are megachurches considered "seeker sensitive." They use rock style music and less structured prayer to attract people who don't usually attend church. Researchers also found a small increase in those who prefer being called evangelical or born-again, rather than claim membership in a denomination.

Evangelical or born-again Americans make up 34 percent of all American adults and 45 percent of all Christians and Catholics, the study found. Researchers found that 18 percent of Catholics consider themselves born-again or evangelical, and nearly 39 percent of mainline Protestants prefer those labels. Many mainline Protestant groups are riven by conflict over how they should interpret what the Bible says about gay relationships, salvation and other issues.

The percentage of Pentecostals remained mostly steady since 1990 at 3.5 percent, a surprising finding considering the dramatic spread of the tradition worldwide. Pentecostals are known for a spirited form of Christianity that includes speaking in tongues and a belief in modern-day miracles.

Mormon numbers also held steady over the period at 1.4 percent of the population, while the number of Jews who described themselves as religiously observant continued to drop, from 1.8 percent in 1990 to 1.2 percent, or 2.7 million people, last year. Researchers plan a broader survey on people who consider themselves culturally Jewish but aren't religious.

The study found that the percentage of Americans who identified themselves as Muslim grew to 0.6 percent of the population, while growth in Eastern religions such as Buddhism slightly slowed.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_re/rel_religious_america

At 15%, the non religious dwarf Jews, Muslims, Pentecostals, and Mormons COMBINED . . . yet we are the least trusted group. Go Figure. Well, that is going to change over time. Yeah! :D

Maybe Dawkins' brash style was effective? Or maybe Bush gave the religious a bad image?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This number is only going to increase as more and more children are forced to listen to old men preach about the same shit for years and years.

The only reason I became an alter boy is for the pastoral sex so I'd have something to do during mass than just sit there.

I appreciate the teachings, but I've been taught, and I don't need to sit there and hear that shit every week to know how to be a good person.

Agnostic, baby!

RubxQub

Someone should e-mail this shit to Bill Maher with the text:

"You may not have been nominated for an Oscar, but at least your documentary is showing tangible results."

He'd tout it on his show and send people into a frenzy.

Raistlin

badreligionlogo.jpg

Ermc_G6

Its Ironic though, because the people I know who are "non-religion" follow their beliefs much more fervently then some religious people I know.

I even know people who attend weekly meetings to talk about how non-religious they are.

Everyone follows something I guess.

KHarvey16

Ermc_G6 said:
Its Ironic though, because the people I know who are "non-religion" follow their beliefs much more fervently then some religious people I know.

I even know people who attend weekly meetings to talk about how non-religious they are.

Everyone follows something I guess.

Lol, being non-religious only means you don't believe in a religion. Any other opinions are entirely separate. A meeting about non-religious beliefs would be very silent.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
"The number of Americans who aren't afraid to say out loud that they don't believe what their parents do has reached 15%"

I don't think this represents a shift in belief, but rather destigmatization of being "un-churched." The people of our parents' generation who sat in church despite not giving a shit in order to "keep up appearances" are now free to be schoolteachers, cops, sometimes even mayors without disturbing the delicate sensibilities of the religio-political machine.

Which is good. But I don't think this means that Americans are less religious; I just think it means they're being more honest.

It does have the flipside that religion is being left more and more to the extremists, but I guess if you're already a Dawkins Atheist then that's what you think regardless.

KHarvey16 said:
Lol, being non-religious only means you don't believe in a religion. Any other opinions are entirely separate. A meeting about non-religious beliefs would be very silent.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ever been in a GAF Atheists assemble thread? Atheists are the least generalizable of the "belief" groups but DAMN some of them are NOISY you can't deny that

Religion is already out of the American way of life as it is thanks to leftist commies. IMO, this 15% figure only downplays the widespread moral destruction of America. The USA needs to wake up from this consumerist nightmare before it's too late.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
RubxQub said:
This number is only going to increase as more and more children are forced to listen to old men preach about the same shit for years and years.

The only reason I became an alter boy is for the pastoral sex so I'd have something to do during mass than just sit there.

I appreciate the teachings, but I've been taught, and I don't need to sit there and hear that shit every week to know how to be a good person.

Agnostic, baby!
bingo

they need to give religion some sex appeal, some lasers, some money, some SCHPAW

sk3 said:
This is how the world ends.
The world is gonna end if we don't throw off ancient superstitions and replace them with science.

Don't get me wrong . . . I am all for the freedom of religion and would absolutely fight against any bans. But I want people to look at things as they are and see that science has benefited mankind more than religion. Bans do not work . . . religion has to die off on its own. If communism didn't fall due to its own problems, but instead we had invaded Russia and took it over, there would still be zillions of advocates for communism. It is only because it collapsed due to its own bad policy that we know it is gone for good. (Yeah there are still tiny groups that believe in it but they are small enough to ignore.)

Religion has served a very useful purpose during our societies infancy. But we are outgrowing it a bit and it can be dangerous when we now have such destructive power in the form of WMDs and pollution. It doesn't need to go away, just become less dangerous. We need to stop people from thinking that being a suicide bomber will get you and your family into heaven.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Dragonflyg1 said:
Religion is already out of the American way of life as it is thanks to leftist commies. IMO, this 15% figure only downplays the widespread moral destruction of America. The USA needs to wake up from this consumerist nightmare before it's too late.

lol you are not Astrolad

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Hells yes!!! Make it 60% of secular people and we is cool America.

Bill Maher go make Religulous 2 pweeze!

Cyan

Banned
Ermc_G6 said:

Most of us really don't talk about it at all. You're thinking of hard-core atheists.

KHarvey16

Ela Hadrun said:
It does have the flipside that religion is being left more and more to the extremists, but I guess if you're already a Dawkins Atheist then that's what you think regardless.

That's a bit of a mischaracterization.

Ela Hadrun said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ever been in a GAF Atheists assemble thread? Atheists are the least generalizable of the "belief" groups but DAMN some of them are NOISY you can't deny that

Noisy about things separate from their(our) non-belief.

RobbieNick

Some people are religious without ever going to church. My mother listens to gospel music, and says her prayers, but rarely ever goes to church.

And who can blame her? Church is boring. It needs to be seriously updated. Especially the hymnals. They're dreary and most who don't know the lyrics just slur them to fake it. Plus, when was the last new hymn put into a hymnal? Like, 200 years ago? They need to modernize.

KHarvey16 said:
Organizing atheists and agnostics is indeed like herding cats. But some people are getting annoyed enough that they have formed some groups. The FFRF, JREF, CSI, CFI, etc.

demifiend

RobbieNick said:
Some people are religious without ever going to church. My mother listens to gospel music, and says her prayers, but rarely ever goes to church.

Same with my mother, my father, and myself.
Doesn't surprise me that this thread materialized on GAF so quickly and with so much gusto.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
RobbieNick said:

And who can blame her? Church is boring. It needs to be seriously updated. Especially the hymnals. They're dreary and most who don't know the lyrics just slur them to fake it. Plus, when was the last new hymn put into a hymnal? Like, 200 years ago? They need to modernize.
They have. I go to church every Sunday and I haven't picked up a hymnal in ten years.

RobbieNick said:

You need to go to a black church.

KHarvey16

speculawyer said:
Organizing atheists and agnostics is indeed like herding cats. But some people are getting annoyed enough that they have formed some groups. The FFRF, JREF, CSI, CFI, etc.

Yes, but those groups are for more than announcing you are an atheist. Speaking about the effect of religion, why people should be atheists, etc are all opinions held apart from being an atheist.

Dragonflyg1 said:

You hate the commies and the consumerists? So you basically hate everyone?

And leftist commies? Communism is dead outside of North Korea and Cuba.

speculawyer said:
At 15%, the non religious dwarf Jews, Muslims, Pentecostals, and Mormons COMBINED . . . yet we are the least trusted group. Go Figure. Well, that is going to change over time. Yeah! :D

Maybe Dawkins' brash style was effective? Or maybe Bush gave the religious a bad image?
Non-religious dwarf Jews? Are there a lot of those?

MIMIC said:
It's only fun when the choir is up. Turns our church into a concert :lol
As an atheist I tend to find church in general boring but I went to a white church one time and good lord. If anything is turning people away from religion it has to be that snorefest. If I was religious and went to church it would at least have to be a high energy one with good music.

Cyan

Banned
speculawyer said:
Well, for me personally... Dawkins makes me want to punch all atheists in the face. While Bush makes me want to take away the vote from all religious people.

With their powers combined... something something... Captain Douchebag!

RubxQub

Lucky Forward said:
Non-religious dwarf Jews? Are there a lot of those?
That was exactly the way I read it at first :lol

Dragonflyg1 said:

Maybe if you pray enough, God will rapture you away!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Cyan said:
Well, for me personally... Dawkins makes me want to punch all atheists in the face.

I will never understand the hate Dawkins gets. Yeah, he's pretty fucking sure of what he believes, and he makes that clear. So what? Every preacher in every pulpit in every church on every Sunday does the same. I don't think he sounds arrogant or douchey for the most part. Is it the British accent that sets people off? What if he sounded more like Carl Sagan?

KHarvey16 said:
I know it's come up before but I don't understand the Dawkins hate at all.

I don't really understand it either. Hitchens. Sure. He's an ass. Dawkins is blunt but he is rarely an asshole in any real sense of that word to me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dragonflyg1 said:

You managed to rant against commies AND consumerists in the same post :lol :lol

Bravo, dude.

Now excuse me while I go live my godless SAN FRANCISCO commie consumerist lifestyle :D

Don't worry though, I'm straight. So we can be friends.

KHarvey16 said:
I know it's come up before but I don't understand the Dawkins hate at all.
If you don't agree with what he is saying, then he comes off as an annoying pompous conceited British know-it-all.

But I think he serves a purpose . . . his confidence tends to stiffen the backbone of nonreligious and make them realize that it is OK to stand up for your non beliefs. He is probably not an effective person for getting converts, but he does a good job preaching to the choir so to speak. :D

KHarvey16

I get a feeling most of the hate comes from people completely unfamiliar with his writing. Here's an interesting did you know: Dawkins does not claim there is definitely no god!

speculawyer said:
You hate the commies and the consumerists? So you basically hate everyone?

And leftist commies? Communism is dead outside of North Korea and Cuba.

I am not blinded by bipartisanship, sorry. I believe in a free market system tempered by Christian morals. Consumerism seems to be the only religion that modern day Americans adhere to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom