• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'No Religion' . . . the fastest growing . . uh . . non-religion hits 15% in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
speculawyer said:
:lol No. Sam is quite caustic as well. Lacking British accent probably helps, but he offends a lot of people. He is harsher on Muslims than Christians though.

I disagree but then people here probably think I'm an ahole. ;)

People like Harris and Dawkins are arguing and debating positions. Julia Sweeney is a nice person talking about herself and her views as an individual in an entertaining comedic monlogue. Nothing wrong with either but the techniques and goals are completely different.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well, it's one thing if people are offended simply by having that discussion, what I'm saying is that I can see how people feel ridiculed when their god is compared to an almighty cloud of spaghetti bolognese.
C'mon . . . Sam Harris says things like "Nearly half this country thinks that Jesus is going to come out of the sky like some super-hero and rapture them up during their lifetimes."

Calling Jesus a super-hero really gets on some people's nerves (although it is a funny and pretty accurate comparison).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
KHarvey16 said:
Well that's a misunderstanding of the analogy :). The spaghetti monster is not used to say, "hey look! You're belief is so silly it's like saying there's a god made of pasta! Haha you're dumb!" It's used to refute the common response of religious individuals to criticism from an atheist. Mainly "you can't prove god doesn't exist." Well, you can't prove a flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist either but that doesn't make it any more attractive as something to actively believe in.

Yes, but it does put their god and the holy bolognese on the same level in a way, doesn't it? I understand the analogy, but it'd probably been easier to just name some old greek god or something -- which I know he does sometimes.

speculawyer said:
C'mon . . . Sam Harris says things like "Nearly half this country thinks that Jesus is going to come out of the sky like some super-hero and rapture them up during their lifetimes."

Calling Jesus a super-hero really gets on some people's nerves (although it is a funny and pretty accurate comparison).

Dude, I have no idea who Sam Harris is, but that does sound somewhat better :)

KHarvey16 said:
Well that's a misunderstanding of the analogy :). The spaghetti monster is not used to say, "hey look! You're belief is so silly it's like saying there's a god made of pasta! Haha you're dumb!" It's used to refute the common response of religious individuals to criticism from an atheist. Mainly "you can't prove god doesn't exist." Well, you can't prove a flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist either but that doesn't make it any more attractive as something to actively believe in.

This is why even though I love South Park and that episode it is completely missing the point. The spaghetti monster is a construct to say we would be laughed at for believing in and constructing our society around concepts which we would normally find laughable and have no basis in reason.

Take Xenu and the way gaf loves to respond to that even though it's just as fictional a construct as traditional religious gods.

Stoney Mason said:
I disagree but then people here probably think I'm an ahole.

I'm the one that gets banned on the drop of a hat. I don't even know what I do? :lol

You have been banned for the following reason:
Stick to PoliGAF.

Date the ban will be lifted: 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM

speculawyer said:
I'm the one that gets banned on the drop of a hat. I don't even know what I do? :lol

Were you on the gaming side? Simply pissing off the wrong mod or violating certain gaf double standards on that side will get you banned rather quickly.

Walshicus

Onix said:
badreligionlogo.jpg
Iaaonhg.jpg

I aint afraid of no Holy Ghost.

trinest

I think you would find that the number is up because more American's are paranoid that the Government is going to use that information and give it to aliens.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well, it's one thing if people are offended simply by having that discussion, what I'm saying is that I can see how people feel ridiculed when their god is compared to an almighty cloud of spaghetti bolognese.
And people that believe in sasquatch probably feel ridiculed when he gets lumped in with chupacabra, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Ridicule is there for a reason.

Interesting...last figure was at 12% I think? Likely to keep on rising. I can't really say it's a bad thing, either. I don't have anything against followers of any given religion, but we have enough tight-assed fundies already.

"tight-assed not meant to be taken literally :lol"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Kano On The Phone said:
And people that believe in sasquatch probably feel ridiculed when he gets lumped in with chupacabra, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Ridicule is there for a reason.

And my point is that ridicule isn't the best way to discuss things with someone.

Cyan

Banned
BrightYoungThing said:
As I stated before I think Dan Dennett is an excellent example of a nice atheist.
Heh. I don't like him either. But that's due to philosophy of the mind stuff, nothing to do with atheism. ;)

As for why I don't like Dawkins... he just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not about to try to explain an emotional issue using logic.

KHarvey16 said:
Well that's a misunderstanding of the analogy :). The spaghetti monster is not used to say, "hey look! You're belief is so silly it's like saying there's a god made of pasta! Haha you're dumb!"
But... that's exactly what it's used for. Maybe that wasn't the original intent when it was thought up, but in this context (interwebs arguments) that's what it's used for now.

ViperVisor said:
Internet board polls I see from time to time have 40% saying No Religion.

So that 15% is double under 30

That's because internet is a great source of non-bullshit information (of course that doesn't mean there's not a lot of bullshit too, you just have to be smart enough to ignore them); information based on reality and not social standards or political correctness (unlike mainstream media that just spoon feeds you bullshit 24/7 no matter what you do).

Whatever the, like, natural equilibrium on atheism and agnosticism in society is, it's definitely higher than what America was measured at for most of this century. I figure 15% is even too low, you're probably looking at like 25-30% of people who would pick this option outside of societal pressure to identify as religious.

Stoney Mason said:
I don't really understand it either. Hitchens. Sure. He's an ass. Dawkins is blunt but he is rarely an asshole in any real sense of that word to me.

I don't actually disagree with a lot of his individual theses (atheists should be happy to positively identify themselves as such, ID is a crock, science can be inspiring and should be far more valued for its capacity for discovery in our society) but I still think he's an asshole. :lol

My big problem with Dawkins is that he really isn't very well informed about history or the social sciences in general but he wants to get the credit for his awkward historical arguments anyway. The same way that I don't really appreciate polemics that wield poor science to support the conclusions (whether or not those conclusions themselves are dubious), I don't really think much of trying to shove history into a monochromatic box to support your argument is a justifiable or intellectually honest approach.

He also doesn't really seem to have any real idea that there are religions beyond the Abrahamic Big Three -- I always find it perplexing when people argue against the existence of God inside a framework that only encompasses a limited selection of what people mean by that term -- and he doesn't seem interested in partnering with people who are anti-Creationism and pro-science if they're religious in any way, which seems self-defeating and certainly irritates me as a self-identified anti-Creationism, pro-science believer.

He owes no obligation to the atheist front. Nor does anyone.

Presumably if he has strategic goals that originate from his stances (such as opposing the teaching of Creationism and ID) and he has chosen to use his fame as a lever to help push those strategic goals (I think it's hard to argue that this is false), there are more and less tactical ways to do so. He seems to have decided that the most effective way for him to do that is to be kind of an asshole, so... I guess the question is whether that is indeed the most effective approach or not. :lol

KHarvey16 said:
Well, you can't prove a flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist either but that doesn't make it any more attractive as something to actively believe in.

The Invisible Pink Unicorn was a much, much better "can't prove it doesn't exist" argument prop. The FSM is just the commercialized bullshit version of the IPU because someone realized they could make it into a carfish. :D

Tobor

85% away from evolving as a species. Woohoo! At this rate I'll be long dead before humanity moves to the next stage of civilization, but at least the needle is moving in the right direction. Asimov would be proud.

charlequin said:
He also doesn't really seem to have any real idea that there are religions beyond the Abrahamic Big Three -- I always find it perplexing when people argue against the existence of God inside a framework that only encompasses a limited selection of what people mean by that term -- and he doesn't seem interested in partnering with people who are anti-Creationism and pro-science if they're religious in any way, which seems self-defeating and certainly irritates me as a self-identified anti-Creationism, pro-science believer.

Well in western society the Abrahamic Big Three is what has the most effect. Buddhists generally aren't pushing for creationism or the influx of religion into secular society in western nations. As far as the rest there seems to be a lot of attempts to make Dawkins into the person an individual wants him to be rather than instead acknowledge and embrace the wide diversity of belief and theorists, and philosophers, and scientists that exists in the atheist/non belief community. Not necessarily aimed at you.

charlequin said:
Presumably if he has strategic goals that originate from his stances (such as opposing the teaching of Creationism and ID) and he has chosen to use his fame as a lever to help push those strategic goals (I think it's hard to argue that this is false), there are more and less tactical ways to do so. He seems to have decided that the most effective way for him to do that is to be kind of an asshole, so... I guess the question is whether that is indeed the most effective approach or not. :lol

Once again I don't buy this argument and I'll use myself as an analogy. I post on atheism all the time on this forum and creationism but my goal isn't too gild the lily and try to make somebody who believes in creationism or religion like me and my rhetorical arguments. It is to debate and argue the cold facts. If an atheist is being rude without basis, or factually incorrect I call it. There was an especially nasty Muslim thread awhile back where I thought some non believer types went too far and said so. But the goal isn't to entrench my argument in a manner so that a religious person likes me or finds me to be a rather pleasant fellow. As long as I don't cross certain lines that is the only tactic that I'm going to use.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Whatever, if you truly believe in your religion, then it shouldn't really matter.

EDIT:
85% away from evolving as a species. Woohoo! At this rate I'll be long dead before humanity moves to the next stage of civilization, but at least the needle is moving in the right direction. Asimov would be proud.

What? lol

Christine

charlequin said:
The Invisible Pink Unicorn was a much, much better "can't prove it doesn't exist" argument prop. The FSM is just the commercialized bullshit version of the IPU because someone realized they could make it into a carfish. :D

What the FSM brought to the table was the "Touched By His Noodly Appendage" rebuttal of the creationist argument that we can't trust experimental results because God can undetectably alter them at will. Beyond that, I don't see much use for him.

Tobor

SoulPlaya said:
Whatever, if you truly believe in your religion, then it shouldn't really matter.

EDIT:

What? lol

Read the Foundation Trilogy. He basically lays it all out for you.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Tobor said:
Read the Foundation Trilogy. He basically lays it all out for you.
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Asimov, but Isaac Asimov would be proud that society is becoming less religious?

Cheebs

Dragonflyg1 said:
I am not blinded by bipartisanship, sorry. I believe in a free market system tempered by Christian morals. Consumerism seems to be the only religion that modern day Americans adhere to.
Too bad America is a secular nation (although one with a lot of christians) so your little idea won't ever happen.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Obviously it's not ridiculous to them.
That's great, but not relevant. If I believed, in my heart of hearts, that my penis shot marshmallow cream that cured AIDS, it wouldn't obligate you to pretend I wasn't being ridiculous in the event we had a discussion on it.

Fusebox

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Here in the UK less than 40% of our population even believe in god.

Lots of crazy stats about the UK's travel into secularism here:
http://www.vexen.co.uk/UK/religion.html

Things are looking sunny in Australia too...

http://richarddawkins.net/article,3566,n,n

Young Australians are becoming increasingly a generation of non-believers, according to an analysis of the 2006 census.

Secularisation is an emerging trend, the Australian Bureau of Statistics statistician's report concludes.

Since the 1971 census, when the "no religion" option was included for the first time, the number of people declaring no denomination has nearly trebled from 6.7 per cent to 18.7 per cent.

The shift is largely because of young people who are more likely to state "no religion" on their census forms.

In 2006, 7.9 per cent of Australians 65 and older did not specify a religion, compared to 23.5 per cent of those in the 15-34 age group.

lopaz said:
:lol 'no religion (inc. Jedis)'

It's funny how many people assume they have to say they're Christian when they don't believe just because their parents were.

It talks about that at the link. It explains how in the Census around 70% of Britain say they're "Christian", but yet only 40% say they believe in god.

“Many people are brought up, as part of their family, to say that they are Christian despite only having a precursory knowledge of Christ and only a vague belief in God. Frequently only a single parent figure has any interest in the Church, but insists that the household each calls themselves a Christian, and sometimes this continues for generations.

An implicit Christian is one who calls themselves Christian out of ease or habit, not due to belief. From personal experience, most self declared Christians in the United Kingdom confuse believing in God with being a Christian. Many think that if you believe in God, you are therefore a Christian. In a predominantly Christian (Western) context, that assumption suits only demographics, and is not useful for discerning what beliefs people actually have.”

We're really a very, very secular country here in the UK, and that stems all the way back to when we split and founded the Church of England... and CofE was very much an arm of the government as well of the church. So back in those days where Church attendance was 'expected' in France, Spain and other countries, here in England people would just say "oh I'm with CofE" and not attend much at all. Attendance and as such belief has been crashing ever since.

Tobor

SoulPlaya said:
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Asimov, but Isaac Asimov would be proud that society is becoming less religious?

He postulated that religion is an important tool for controlling a primitive society, but that eventually science and economics must take over for that society to evolve and grow. Maybe proud is the wrong term, but I know I'm proud to see us finally start to move in that direction.

"Less religious" in my view means "more enlightened".

Stoney Mason said:
Well in western society the Abrahamic Big Three is what has the most effect. Buddhists generally aren't pushing for creationism or the influx of religion into secular society in western nations.

Well, sure, but this is part of why I think the whole issue is quite a bit too complicated to boil down the way that people (on both sides, to be sure) often attempt to. An aggressive political secularism aimed at curbing regressive policy drives by religious conservatives is neither a requirement for or automatic result of philosophical strong atheism; the latter calls out for a rather more in-depth examination of religious and spiritual views that differ markedly from American Christendom, while the former really does not.

As far as the rest there seems to be a lot of attempts to make Dawkins into the person an individual wants him to be rather than instead acknowledge and embrace the wide diversity of belief and theorists, and philosophers, and scientists that exists in the atheist/non belief community. Not necessarily aimed at you.

Oh sure. That's silly. Obviously he doesn't speak for "atheists" any more than, I dunno, Ratzinger speaks for "religious people."

Once again I don't buy this argument and I'll use myself as an analogy. I post on atheism all the time on this forum and creationism but my goal isn't too gild the lily and try to make somebody who believes in creationism or religion like me and my rhetorical arguments. It is to debate and argue the cold facts.

Well, why are you arguing the cold facts? What's your agenda? Is it to convince a lot of people? To convince a few specific people? Not to convince anyone, but to be honest and forthright in description of your own beliefs? Are you doing it because you like arguing on message boards, or because you want to enact some kind of change in society? (And so on.) How effective your approach is in reality is going to vary based on the answers to these questions.

Like I was saying: being an asshole can be tactically effective, and I'm not actually speaking to whether Dawkins' approach is accomplishing his goals or not at the moment. I just question the "I'm just some guy sayin' stuff! Don't listen if you don't like it!" line of argument. Dawkins started publishing books about atheism instead of books about genetics because he had something he wanted to communicate about it, presumably with agenda for doing so, and I feel it's perfectly appropriate to critique his approach to doing so.

avaya

lopaz said:
:lol 'no religion (inc. Jedis)'

It's funny how many people assume they have to say they're Christian when they don't believe just because their parents were.

In the next Census I'm signing up for Jedi.

KHarvey16 said:
I should have made my point more clear(I tried to in a previous response)...I'm not questioning why religious people have a problem with Dawkins. I can certainly see why someone criticizing their beliefs would upset them. I have an expectation regarding the reactions of religious people. I was wondering why non-believers have an issue with him, keeping in mind diplomacy is not a role he's chosen for himself.

It's not so much that he's questioning their beliefs, or that theists are inherently incapable of hearing dissenting opinions without reflexive fits of righteous outrage. (I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that's not what you were implying). It's more that there's really no good reason to take that approach in a time when atheists are already unfairly demonized. It's repellent, it confirms bad stereotypes and further entrenches people in their initial stances instead of inviting a better mutual understanding. It does nothing to foster or encourage a respectful, less hostile environment for discussion.

I mean, if you've been raised in a religious family that wasn't overbearing and oppressive about it, and suddenly some guy is insulting you with an implication of stupidity for being dumb enough to worship a Flying Spaghetti Monster (undeniably, to anyone with a brain, an intentionally provocative image and concept), why wouldn't you be offended? That's not quite the same thing as simply asking, "What rational foundation supports your religious beliefs?"

You can be completely confident in a stance without being explicitly insulting towards the opposition (as differentiated from someone trying to "woo" people from religion). He could achieve exactly what he wants to achieve--someone who tells atheists that their worldview is valid and that they shouldn't allow others to bully them into silence or submission--without being needlessly divisive... but he doesn't. His approach isn't immune from criticism simply because it's his "chosen role". Dawkins seems to have no respect for theists, or at least that's the way he comes off, so of course they don't like him. Why would they?

But he could be a lot worse, too. At least he's not Christopher Hitchens.

BrightYoungThing said:
It's true that the blame lies with people who automatically dismiss him and his beliefs because of his attitude but the fact remains that if you truly want to see scientific thought and secularist ideas embraced, those are the people you have to reach. To alienate them seems to go directly against that goal. Pleasing your friends and alienating your enemies will hardly make you or your goals popular, especially if you already constitute a minority.

Exactly. It's kind of like Charles Barkley's "I'm not a role model," crap. Sorry Chuck. You didn't get to make that decision. You were in the public eye and therefore you were.

Dawkins has no choice in the matter.

Kano On The Phone said:
I would defy you to try to explain to a grown person, one who believes with everything they are that the Tooth Fairy is real, that he doesn't exist without sounding a little bit arrogant.

That's a cop-out. You can easily explain to a theist the rationale behind an atheist stance without coming off like you're talking down to him/her. The fact that there are always going to be the high-strung fundamentalist weirdos who can't handle dissenting opinions and the mental discord they can create doesn't mean you're better off not trying to be respectful of other human beings when speaking to them.

If I were approached by a guy from a culture who actually believed the sun was a deity, I would find that a pretty quaint and silly concept, especially in 2009, but I definitely wouldn't speak down to him or belittle his faith. Neither would I go out of my way to tell a Scientology how hilariously tacky his religion is, despite the fact that I think it is. There's nothing to be gained from that.

Not that any post you've made in the thread deserves a serious response.

Stoney Mason said:
This is why even though I love South Park and that episode it is completely missing the point. The spaghetti monster is a construct to say we would be laughed at for believing in and constructing our society around concepts which we would normally find laughable and have no basis in reason.

Take Xenu and the way gaf loves to respond to that even though it's just as fictional a construct as traditional religious gods.

It isn't missing the point at all. It's consciously addressing the very thing that makes Dawkins (and atheism by popular association, like or or not) so needlessly repellent to so many people. No matter how many times you say "he isn't the face of atheism", that won't make it true. He IS to a great many people due to his fame and his outspoken nature, and he will continue to be perceived as such.

And give Scientology a few hundred years to iron out all the tacky bullshit. Who knows? It could definitely become less laughable (and dangerous). But let's not pretend that a very poorly-written, graceless creation story scribbled out by a hack scifi writer in a explicit attempt to create a religion for profit (something that is widely known and which colors most popular perceptions of Scientology) is directly comparable to the beauty of old, well-polished creation myths.

Sir Fragula said:
Iaaonhg.jpg

I aint afraid of no Holy Ghost.

:lol :lol

StoOgE said:
Hooray, I am a member of a slightly smaller (but still hated) minority!

I promise I would dislike you just as much if you were a theist.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Dawkins annoys me because I find all proselytizers annoying. He's not interested in exchange of ideas but rather the furtherance of his own. Which is totally okay, I just am not interested in being "educated" by his talking head.

But as I said before, I'm happy to see that people don't feel the need to pretend they're Christian as much as they used to.

And everyone who's crowing about the UK can sit down, you people have archbishops in your government. Come back to brag when you're no longer part theocracy.

cryptic

Becoming non-religious is a slow, sad spiral into the debilitating mind frame that there is no point to anything.

Why follow rules?
Why have kids?
Why progress knowledge?
Why fuss over aesthetics?
What is one life among billions?

Ultimately, everyone is going to be eaten by maggots.

cryptic said:
Becoming non-religious is a slow, sad spiral into the debilitating mind frame that there is no point to anything.

Why follow rules?
Why have kids?
Why progress knowledge?
Why fuss over aesthetics?
What is one life among billions?

Ultimately, everyone is going to be eaten by maggots.

You do grow out of that phase eventually, though. Or at least you can.

Fusebox

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
Dawkins seems to have no respect for theists, or at least that's the way he comes off, so of course they don't like him. Why would they?

But he could be a lot worse, too. At least he's not Christopher Hitchens.

Dawkins and Hitchens may be dicks, but any religious establishment that spans centuries of child molestation, torture and murder is just an asshole, and we need dicks to fuck assholes so pussies like us don't get shat on.

KevinCow

Banned
Hooray! Godless heathens unite!

Anyway, don't worry guys, if atheism ever becomes the majority, we'll just start having wars about strong atheism vs. weak atheism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom