• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA: steady flow of NES classic thru holidays and into next year

Nintendo sells much more than a retro console, I don't think anyone is suggesting they want to increase the value of only the retro console. As per my prior post, they are increasing the value of their brand (also being done with the upcoming Mario Run for mobile). They will have the hot Xmas gift this year, and yes I expect this thing to be difficult to get into the new year as well. This gets them into the mind share of the general public, and with a good perception. Nintendo, like many companies, thinks ahead with marketing strategies.

You cite people in this thread complaining about Nintendo, but your not taking into account the majority of the people looking for this thing, and it isn't the people in this thread or forum. Just go hang out at your local Gamestop/EB or whatever and count how many people come in hunting this thing down. This is mainstream appeal and mainstream value, not just to hardcore games that would post on a message board like Neogaf. The NES mini is a great resource for them to build on the perceived brand value in time for a major product launch next year with the Switch.

nobody is going to go "cant get a nes mini, buying a wii u/3ds instead"
If anything this is hurting consumer goodwill and their brand. Most of the core gamers that would buy any other Nintendo product (like the switch needs at launch) are just being even more pissed off at Nintendo over this.

LordRaptor

"Hey honey, remember when I said I wanted a NES mini for nostalgia reasons at christmas and they'd sold out so you bought me a diamond necklace instead because they're literally equivalent goods?"
"Yes dear?"
"Well its now march and there is no social tradition of gift giving, but the people who made the NES mini have a new product out that costs 5 times as much and I have no nostalgia for"

???

profit?

Trup1aya

This isn't about raising the dollar value of the NES mini - this is about raising the value of the Nintendo brand. Consider the failure of the Wii U and the timing the NES mini has at the holiday in relation to the upcoming release of the Switch. They want a strong desirable brand for the new console.

On a separate note, I'm honestly quite shocked at the amount of people that don't believe that Nintendo has intentionally under supplied this product. So many excuses are being thrown around, and most just seem like apologist type replies. From things like Nintendo just couldn't anticipate the demand, to things like Nintendo doesn't have a proper supply channel to work with, I'm astounded. However, it makes no difference what you want to believe I suppose.

Personally I would like Nintendo to succeed and Id have been happy to hand over my money to buy one of these at my local store, but for me personally, this is a negative experience the happens much too frequently, and when it is something like the NES Mini that they do this with, it is just very frustrating. I know they are a business and it works for them, but I'm just tired of it. Ultimately I have no personal relationship with them, and I suppose they don't owe anyone anything, so it is what it is.

It's not about excuses. It's about fact. Never in history has scarcity been the cause of increased demand. Increased demand causes scarcity if supply is low. Manipulating supply is done to increase (or reduce) prices... neither of which is happening.

At best artificial shortages increase the urgency of interested potential customers. It doesn't suddenly make someone interested who otherwise wouldn't be.

As far as marketing is concerned, saying an item is selling quickly, or will be selling out soon is just as effective in generating urgency... but has the added benefit of actually allowing for transactions to take place.

"We sold 10 million items in a week, and that number is rising quickly. This is the hottest item in town. Get yours while supplies last"

Vs

"We sold 500,000 in a day, please be patient while we spend an unspecified amount of time restocking"

Which one bodes best for the business?

What's astounding is your insistence on showcasing a complete lack of understanding of basic economic, logistical and marketing principles.

Nintendo IS losing money behind this shortage. When someone spends $600 on one from a scalper, that could have been several of these for his friends and family. Then there are the people who will have lost interest by the time they can get one.

Feeroper

It's not about excuses. It's about fact. Never in history has scarcity been the cause of increased demand. Increased demand causes scarcity if supply is low. Manipulating supply is done to increase (or reduce) prices... neither of which is happening.

At best artificial shortages increase the urgency of interested potential customers. It doesn't suddenly make someone interested who otherwise wouldn't be.

As far as marketing is concerned, saying an item is selling quickly, or will be selling out soon is just as effective in generating urgency... but has the added benefit of actually allowing for transactions to take place.

"We sold 10 million items in a week, and that number is rising quickly. This is the hottest item in town. Get yours while supplies last"

Vs

"We sold 500,000 in a day, please be patient while we spend an unspecified amount of time restocking"

Which one bodes best for the business?

What's astounding is your insistence on showcasing a complete lack of understanding of basic economic, logistical and marketing principles.

Nintendo IS losing money behind this shortage. When someone spends $600 on one from a scalper, that could have been several of these for his friends and family. Then there are the people who will have lost interest by the time they can get one.

Well, believe whatever you'd like. We will just have to agree to disagree :) - no hard feelings.

Top Bottom