• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noah Hawley Developing Doctor Doom Movie for Fox

Bronx-Man

Banned
Seriously though, Doom is probably my least favorite part of Fantastic 4. He's just such a boring villain to me. Give me Kang, Galactus, Mole Man... anybody. Maybe I'm just bitter that we may never see a good depiction of Silver Surfer.
I definitely wouldn't say boring but Jesus Christ, Fox needs to give someone else the spotlight at this point.

Fargo S1-S3 & Legion S1 are the four best seasons of television I've watched recently.

As much as I'd like to see Doom's rights go back to Marvel, this is objectively much better news. I hope this manifests positively.

At this point I don't care if the movie is any good, it may be legitimately the best comicbook movie ever but if Fox keeps retaining the FF franchise from Marvel I'm still not going to watch this

BOOKS OF DOOM OR DEATH.

latest

Dalek

I would normally have zero faith in Fox and my dream is for the FF to be in the MCU. That said....this is the next best thing. This guy is a genius and was able to make Legion a masterpiece and it showed he truly understands those characters and what makes them interesting. It isn't just a display of their powers and effects-it's what makes them tick because of those powers.

Fury451

Banned
Seriously though, Doom is probably my least favorite part of Fantastic 4. He's just such a boring villain to me. Give me Kang, Galactus, Mole Man... anybody. Maybe I'm just bitter that we may never see a good depiction of Silver Surfer.

862595.jpg

Pls read

Doom is an amazing villain. They just portray him as boring bland shit in live action because all they see is "evil bad guy in a mask".

To your point though, I wouldn't mind seeing other characters as well, but since they can't seem to get any of them right over there, I wouldn't hold my breath on them doing anything interesting with anyone

Even if it's the best superhero movie ever made?

I literally said so in my post, if this prevents the MCU having Kang, Galactus and well, Doom himself, I'm sorry, but there's literally no way I'll support this in any way

FF is tied to too many licenses that Fox will never use at their full potential

Literally no way?

Literally?

No way at all?

Dude, it's pretty simple, I can continue my life without the greatest comicbook movie of them all (if this even get close to that)

To give you an idea, I've been doing pretty well ignoring Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, and those are the greatest TV shows ever according to some people (well, one of them is actually a book series... whatever, you get my point), but I've done a pretty good show forgetting they even exist most of the time

Fury451

Banned
I literally said so in my post, if this prevents the MCU having Kang, Galactus and well, Doom himself, I'm sorry, but there's literally no way I'll support this in any way

I mean, I get you, I want it all to go back too so Marvel has all their cosmic stuff and F4/Doom, but it's not going to. They're not gonna let go of it, best case scenario they decide to do a team up, but until they run the franchise in the ground at the point where they can't do anything with it at all on their own, that's not gonna happen.

Whether you support this or not, they're not going to let the license lapse until it starts costing them dearly every time they put out one of these products.

Trike

At this point I don't care if the movie is any good, it may be legitimately the best comicbook movie ever but if Fox keeps retaining the FF franchise from Marvel I'm still not going to watch this

Seriously? I mean if it was legit the best comic book movie ever you wouldn't watch it because there wouldn't be some post credit sequence teasing another MCU movie? There are some things you can do with a solo character movie that you can't do in a shared universe.

ZeroX03

Banned

Tell me exactly how the MCU will use those three to their full potential when they haven't done so with a single villain yet?

MCU Doom won't do shit. He'll be impeccably cast and then dramatically underserved like every damn time.

At least Fox there's a coin flip as to whether it'll be great or not, especially with their recent output plus Hawley.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hawley is a great choice for this. Let's hope it's good. If Fox is going to death grip this license the least they could do is try.

ZeroX03

Banned
Except they just did it twice this year.

Haven't seen Guardians, Vulture was one of the MCU's strongest yet but that's by no means a high bar. His twist was super contrived but I forgave it just because it gave him an extra dimension that otherwise would've left him extremely bland.

Full potential? Doom? C'mon. Not even close.

Dalek

Haven't seen Guardians, Vulture was one of the MCU's strongest yet but that's by no means a high bar. His twist was super contrived but I forgave it just because it gave him an extra dimension that otherwise would've left him extremely bland.

Full potential? Doom? C'mon. Not even close.

Would you say it felt "forced"?

So...
James Mangold on Logan (and X-23, fingers crossed)
Josh Boone on New Mutants
Noah Hawley on Doom
David Leitch on Deadpool 2

Holy shit, that's a good line-up.
Now, gimme an FF animated movie and X-Force by Gareth Evans or Pete Travis.

Shit, I could even see Alex Garland being a good fit for a Fox comic-book project at this point.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How is anyone looking forward to this, as if the last Doom Fox incarnations didn't happen?

This is going to be horrible and I hope they'll prove me wrong.

How is anyone looking forward to this, as if the last Doom Fox incarnations didn't happen?

This is going to be horrible and I hope they'll prove me wrong.
What does one have to do with the other? Like from a writing/directing/creator standpoint?

Like I could see if this was Sony, but considering how Fox has been post-F4 (ie Deadpool, Logan, War, The Martian, The Revenant, etc, but especially the first two)...

862595.jpg

Pls read

Doom is an amazing villain. They just portray him as boring bland shit in live action because all they see is "evil bad guy in a mask".

To your point though, I wouldn't mind seeing other characters as well, but since they can't seem to get any of them right over there, I wouldn't hold my breath on them doing anything interesting with anyone
The only FF movie I've seen is Rise of the Silver Surfer so I haven't seen any live action Doctor Doom. I don't like him in the comics because many writers insist on making him a god figuratively or literally. It's just hokey and unbelievable. Maybe it's more of a reaction to how overused he is. It's like he's MCU Tony Stark cranked up to 11.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What does one have to do with the other? Like from a writing/directing/creator standpoint?
Maybe nothing, maybe the studio will have a say, maybe it's a curse, I'll stay sceptical and happily eat crow when it turns out fine.

There has been just one Fox marvel movie I liked so far though, and I can't forget the many, many disappointments :(

CloudWolf

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, the Fantastic Four so far have been complete poison when it comes to films
On the other hand, it's Noah Hawley and he's amazing

DeathyBoy

Banned
yessssss

I had to say this in another thread already: You guys know that "Fox" isn't a guy's last name, right? "Fox" isn't a man.

I just wanna make sure you guys realize this.

"Fox" isn't a person. It's a movie studio. Like, there's thousands of people there.

They just released a top five all time superhero film THIS YEAR.

Yeah but Logan needed a third act aerial battle I right?

Top Bottom